Forums/Armchair-GM

2024 Devils

Créé par: TGSCraig
Équipe: 2024-25 Devils du New Jersey
Date de création initiale: 2 janv. 2024
Publié: 2 janv. 2024
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I still think it's more likely we trade for or sign a goalie this offseason than going all in during the season when all teams think they have us over a barrel. I think Ullmark/Swayman is probably the most likely place the Devils will look, with the possibility of a retained Markstrom or Gibson also floating out there.

Here's the reality: even with the cap going up, Luke is going to get mega-paid the way he's playing this year. Jack has been very clear that every player should get their checks, so I don't think Fitz will be able to convince Luke to take the same contract as Jack. It's likely that the FLOOR on the deal is the 8.3 AAV/8yrs that Owen Power got, and it could get pricier than that. McLeod's deal getting much richer leaves us with not a lot of cap flexibility next year. Especially if they're also planning on trying to bring back Toffoli short term. It probably means also having to bridge Mercer, or move him/let Toffoli walk.

For the sake of argument, I'm going to say we trade Holtz and Vanecek's 1 year remaining for a goalie, along with a pick. I think Ullmark is more likely to shake loose than Swayman due to his age. So Holtz, Vanecek at half retained+a 2nd for Ullmark, who has one last season at 5 AAV. This gets the Devils Ullmark for about 6.70 million against the cap next year, and then maybe they sign a 2-3 year extension at 6 million AAV. The benefit to the Bruins: they get a young top 6 forward in Holtz who isn't even extension eligible next year, and they get the cap flexibility to sign Swayman to the long term extension he's earned, while moving Ullmark during the last year of his deal as he turns 31 and you're a bit nervous about a long-term extension at this price tag with an aging team.

In this scenario, we probably still have to trade Palat for salary relief to be able to fit Luke's extension in, even with the cap expanding in 2025 too (and .7 million of Ullmark/Vanecek coming off the books).

Novak is a stand-in for some depth UFA forward type in 2024, like the Tierney/Nosek model the Devils have used recently, to fill out the roster.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
LISTE DE RÉSERVEANSCAP HIT
3925 000 $
RFAANSCAP HIT
2875 000 $
43 500 000 $
31 500 000 $
1875 000 $
34 000 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
1775 000 $
24 406 667 $
Transactions
BOS
  1. Holtz, Alexander
  2. Vanecek, Vitek (1 700 000 $ retained)
  3. Choix de 2e ronde en 2025 (NJD)
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Frais appliqués
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de COL
Logo de NJD
Logo de NSH
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2387 700 000 $88 463 897 $1 538 897 $5 100 000 $-763 897 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Devils du New Jersey
4 406 667 $4 406 667 $
AD, AG
UFA
8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
C
UFA - 6
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
AD, AG
NMC
UFA - 7
8 800 000 $8 800 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 7
7 250 000 $7 250 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
AD, C
RFA
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 3
3 150 000 $3 150 000 $
C, AG
NTC
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 1
875 000 $875 000 $
AG
RFA
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
C
RFA
1 350 000 $1 350 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
775 000 $775 000 $
C
UFA - 3
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
9 000 000 $9 000 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo de Bruins de Boston
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
1 050 000 $1 050 000 $
DG
RFA - 1
918 333 $918 333 $ (Bonis de performance3 250 000 $$3M)
DD
RFA - 2
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
G
RFA
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance1 850 000 $$2M)
DG/DD
RFA - 1
4 400 000 $4 400 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
875 000 $875 000 $
G
RFA
925 000 $925 000 $
DD
RFA

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
2 janv. à 10 h 30
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 8,839
🤔 interesting .

Offseason for sure. In season you might get a yes.
2 janv. à 10 h 32
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 340
Boston would probably accept that offer this offseason
Dekes et SomeonesOffended a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 10 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 10
That’s two yeses from Boston fans! Think there’s something to this for sure. It seems possibly overly generous but that usually means it’s closer to being fair than whatever is usually posted here. I think the Devils are going to be in a tricky spot with Luke’s number coming in so high and it will be harder and harder for us to fill out our bottom 6
2 janv. à 10 h 50
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,577
Awful, awful value for the Devils
2 janv. à 11 h 7
Quoting: pretzelcoatl
Awful, awful value for the Devils

Would it be better value if NJD didn't retain on Vitek?
SomeonesOffended a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 11 h 12
Démarrer sujet
I don't really see how it's that awful of value. Holtz is being pushed out of our top 6 anyway by the guys we currently have signed/prioritized here. We make a massive improvement in goal, and don't even give up a first round pick to do so.

Holtz has been one of our worst forward this year by most advanced metrics. You can blame his linemates all you want (I don't think playing with Bastian or Tierney has particularly helped him) but he hasn't clearly shown he deserves a top 6 role either.

I think this is by far a better plan than trading for Jake Allen (not an improvement) or John Gibson (albatross contract that still for some reason everyone agrees will cost us a 1st round pick to take).
BruinsWoahWoah a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 11 h 14
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Quoting: BruinsWoahWoah
Would it be better value if NJD didn't retain on Vitek?

No it's Holtz. He shouldn't be in a trade for a rental goalie.
2 janv. à 11 h 15
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Quoting: TGSCraig
I don't really see how it's that awful of value. Holtz is being pushed out of our top 6 anyway by the guys we currently have signed/prioritized here. We make a massive improvement in goal, and don't even give up a first round pick to do so.

Holtz has been one of our worst forward this year by most advanced metrics. You can blame his linemates all you want (I don't think playing with Bastian or Tierney has particularly helped him) but he hasn't clearly shown he deserves a top 6 role either.

I think this is by far a better plan than trading for Jake Allen (not an improvement) or John Gibson (albatross contract that still for some reason everyone agrees will cost us a 1st round pick to take).

Your assessment of Holtz is way off. He should not be traded for Ullmark.
2 janv. à 11 h 22
Démarrer sujet
https://imgur.com/a/mEQS4jS

Alex Holtz isn't good. I shouldn't have to keep saying this.
2 janv. à 11 h 26
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,129
https://imgur.com/a/mEQS4jS

Alex Holtz isn't good. I shouldn't have to keep saying this.

Regardless of how you view holtz, his value is higher than Ullmark alone
2 janv. à 11 h 31
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: dgibb10
Regardless of how you view holtz, his value is higher than Ullmark alone

In what world is a disappointing former 1st rounder who can't crack the top 6 more valuable than the reigning Vezina winner to a team that is currently a goalie away from a Stanley Cup?

It's fair to argue that Ullmark with only 1 year left is a bit worrisome, but that's the only reason he's even possibly on the block. Goalies this good don't usually shake loose, as we've discovered from the months of speculation now about the Devils trading for middling ones.
BruinsWoahWoah et Tele21 a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 11 h 31
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 103
I’m bullish on Holtz especially with a change of scenery
BruinsCharlies a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 11 h 36
I Love J Boqvist
In what world is a disappointing former 1st rounder who can't crack the top 6 more valuable than the reigning Vezina winner to a team that is currently a goalie away from a Stanley Cup?

It's fair to argue that Ullmark with only 1 year left is a bit worrisome, but that's the only reason he's even possibly on the block. Goalies this good don't usually shake loose, as we've discovered from the months of speculation now about the Devils trading for middling ones.

The last reigning vezina winner traded went for a 2nd round pick. Ullmark at 5 mill for 1 year tops out at a 1st

Holtz’ trade value is simply higher that that.
2 janv. à 11 h 39
Démarrer sujet
The last reigning vezina winner traded went for a 2nd round pick. Ullmark at 5 mill for 1 year tops out at a 1st

You're not getting a 1st if you traded Holtz on his own. I think of this as essentially two 2nd round picks. They won't have the cap to sign Holtz to the extension he's due in 2025 anyway. May as well sell while he still has some name recognition now and people can dream on a change of scenery, instead of in a year+ when he remains on our 3rd/4th line and scoring 25 points.
2 janv. à 11 h 49
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,172
The deal itself makes some sense in terms of the base. I think you could argue that with the second round pick added to Holtz, the Devils shouldn’t be retaining on Vanacek. That would probably be the thing that pushes me to trade him elsewhere, so it’s a positive that it was removed from the discussion,

I’m OK with Vanacek at this number in this deal, though my assumption is he’s buried in Providence as long as Bussi starts gaining the consistency he showed last year. In this case, it minimizes the cap hit to $700k.

1. Does Boston value the goalie rotation to the point where they let Ullmark decide his next step. They should be able to afford it, but I do think there is value if they can fill other voids.

2. If they decide to trade him, my assumption is they’d prefer to ship him to a non ready eastern contender whose primary weakness is goalie if all things are close to equal.

3. Curious to see what both sides take on Holtz is? He’s not performing like you would anticipate for his draft position, but I think that’s the reason he’s in this deal.
2 janv. à 11 h 53
I Love J Boqvist
Modifié 2 janv. à 11 h 58
You're not getting a 1st if you traded Holtz on his own. I think of this as essentially two 2nd round picks. They won't have the cap to sign Holtz to the extension he's due in 2025 anyway. May as well sell while he still has some name recognition now and people can dream on a change of scenery, instead of in a year+ when he remains on our 3rd/4th line and scoring 25 points.

You absolutely could get a 1st+ for holtz with 2 ELC years and his 5v5 goal production
2 janv. à 12 h 4

I realize you don’t acknowledge cap and age considerations, so I’ll continue to ask … if it were that easy, why are you playing with your current goaltenders and not getting any bites to improve the situation?

Either way, even if the circumstance played out where they’d want to dump Ullmark (two free agents let it be known they want Boston and they need his salary to do it), Boston isn’t trading him to a team in their way for your perception of “market value” so Jersey is going to be in the same situation.
2 janv. à 12 h 9

Fleury was also 36 and making $7M AAV at the time of the trade... a much higher percentage of cap space. Ullmark has a lot more left in the tank and is on a good contract.
2 janv. à 12 h 12
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Celtics21
I realize you don’t acknowledge cap and age considerations, so I’ll continue to ask … if it were that easy, why are you playing with your current goaltenders and not getting any bites to improve the situation?

Either way, even if the circumstance played out where they’d want to dump Ullmark (two free agents let it be known they want Boston), Boston isn’t trading him to a team in their way for market value so Jersey is going to be in the same situation.

Our GM has specifically stated on MULTIPLE occasions that he doesn’t believe in trading for goalies midseason. Vanacek and Schmid were good last year, and he has given them a chance to get right. I’d be more aggressive in targeting a goalie personally, but I’m not the GM

Did we buy an expensive goalie in 2021 when we were ravaged by goalie injuries? Nope, we waited until the offseason.

I will admit Vanacek wasn’t the right guy to get in that offseason. But he worked in 22-23, and was a young, effective starter when we acquired him

It’s very unlikely we trade for a hammer during this season due to our GMs philosophy.

That does not change the value of goaltenders league wide

I’d go after Swayman for a big haul (Mercer)

For a 1 year rental of a 5 mill goalie I’d give the fleury offer (he was the reigning vezina winner too). Conditional 2nd that can become a 1st
2 janv. à 12 h 12
I Love J Boqvist
Fleury was also 36 and making $7M AAV at the time of the trade... a much higher percentage of cap space. Ullmark has a lot more left in the tank and is on a good contract.

Fleury was traded at a 3.5 mill cap hit to the Wild. I don’t care how much Ullmark may have in the tank on a contract I don’t want to be the one to give him. He has 2 years of control at 5 mill AAV right now, or 1 year at 5 mill after this year.
2 janv. à 12 h 30
Fleury was traded at a 3.5 mill cap hit to the Wild. I don’t care how much Ullmark may have in the tank on a contract I don’t want to be the one to give him. He has 2 years of control at 5 mill AAV right now, or 1 year at 5 mill after this year.

The wheels on the bus go round and round.

1. The original deal was in the off-season where Ullmark can be extended

2. The thought process you have towards goalies is the reason you are in the position you are in right now. There is a group of GM’s who believe goalies can be cheap only to find themselves with Vanacek type players mining their goal. At some point, will PTSD, reality, or an owner firing them kick in?

3. If Boston, NY, or another competitor in the East had a hole that was keeping them from competing and you had depth that could help them, are you trading them that depth for some middling conditional pick?

I doubt your perception of goalie value is correct, but for a compete lark, let’s assume it is. If the offer is a conditional first and he can’t get better elsewhere, I’m sure Sweeney is fine going with a 2 goalie rotation which has been the primary reason that Montgomery has the record he does. Even if he decides to trade him, it won’t be to a competitor. He can let Jersey pine for Akira Schmid to become the holy grail
BruinsWoahWoah a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 12 h 33
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Celtics21
The wheels on the bus go round and round.

1. The original deal was in the off-season where Ullmark can be extended

2. The thought process you have towards goalies is the reason you are in the position you are in right now. There is a group of GM’s who believe goalies can be cheap only to find themselves with Vanacek type players mining their goal. At some point, will PTSD or reality kick in?

3. If Boston, NY, or another competition had a hole that was keeping them from competing and you had depth that could help them, are you trading them that depth for some middling conditional pick?

I doubt your perception of goalie value is correct, but for a compete lark, let’s assume it is. If the offer is a conditional first and he can’t get better elsewhere, I’m sure Sweeney is fine going with a 2 goalie rotation which has been the primary reason that Montgomery has the record he does and let Jersey pine for Akira Schmid to make those memories go away.

Oh yeah no way you can have success with a cheap goalie.

Surely you can’t find a goalie via a cheap trade (adin hill, Filip Gustafsson)

You literally got Ullmark as a UFA and are now trying to claim you can’t find goalies for free
2 janv. à 13 h 1
Démarrer sujet
I truly don't get why dgibb derails every conversation about a goalie trade and always devolves it into "the Devils should give up peanuts and get a Vezina trophy winner or they could just sign a guy off the street."

It can be true that you can get lucky and get a great goalie in free agency or via a very cheap trade. But it's also true that the Devils will have to give up assets for legitimate Vezina candidate goalies. I was banging the drum for Connor Hellebuyck, cost be damned, this summer, and he currently has the highest GSaX of all goalies, and would have the Devils in the President's Trophy hunt if they had traded for him.

At some point you do have to take a stab. And I think Ullmark is worth this amount of outlay
BruinsWoahWoah, Celtics21 et Tele21 a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 13 h 3
Our GM has specifically stated on MULTIPLE occasions that he doesn’t believe in trading for goalies midseason. Vanacek and Schmid were good last year, and he has given them a chance to get right. I’d be more aggressive in targeting a goalie personally, but I’m not the GM

Did we buy an expensive goalie in 2021 when we were ravaged by goalie injuries? Nope, we waited until the offseason.

I will admit Vanacek wasn’t the right guy to get in that offseason. But he worked in 22-23, and was a young, effective starter when we acquired him

It’s very unlikely we trade for a hammer during this season due to our GMs philosophy.

That does not change the value of goaltenders league wide

I’d go after Swayman for a big haul (Mercer)

For a 1 year rental of a 5 mill goalie I’d give the fleury offer (he was the reigning vezina winner too). Conditional 2nd that can become a 1st

Swayman isn't available for Mercer in a 1:1 deal and the cost of Ullmark starts with a first (they would probably consider Holtz + 2nd).

Thats fine if New Jersey doesn't want to pay that but their goaltending has been atrocious. Its crazy to think that New Jersey - a team that had high expectations at the start of the year and is currently on the outside of the playoffs - is content to stand pat and not address the issue when New Jersey has surrendered very few shots per game (29.3 which is 8th in the league) and given up a ton of goals (3.54 which is 29th in the league). Goaltending is the issue for the Devils plain and simple.
Tele21 et Celtics21 a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 13 h 6
I Love J Boqvist
Swayman isn't available for Mercer in a 1:1 deal and the cost of Ullmark starts with a first (they would probably consider Holtz + 2nd).

Thats fine if New Jersey doesn't want to pay that but their goaltending has been atrocious. Its crazy to think that New Jersey - a team that had high expectations at the start of the year and is currently on the outside of the playoffs - is content to stand pat and not address the issue when New Jersey has surrendered very few shots per game (29.3 which is 8th in the league) and given up a ton of goals (3.54 which is 29th in the league). Goaltending is the issue for the Devils plain and simple.

I don’t want to stand pat.

But I am going to use comparables to make my trades.

And the comparables from a decade of goalie trades say they aren’t that expensive to acquire.

Every time people try and go against the comparables, the comparables always win. Every fanbase has a justification on why their player should be worth way more than the comps. They almost always return the comps.

The upgrade from Vanacek to even mediocre play like Mrazek (which should cost like a 4th) would be massive.

That doesn’t mean pay the moon for a goalie. It means get anyone but Vanacek

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage