Forums/Armchair-GM

2024 Devils

Créé par: TGSCraig
Équipe: 2024-25 Devils du New Jersey
Date de création initiale: 2 janv. 2024
Publié: 2 janv. 2024
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I still think it's more likely we trade for or sign a goalie this offseason than going all in during the season when all teams think they have us over a barrel. I think Ullmark/Swayman is probably the most likely place the Devils will look, with the possibility of a retained Markstrom or Gibson also floating out there.

Here's the reality: even with the cap going up, Luke is going to get mega-paid the way he's playing this year. Jack has been very clear that every player should get their checks, so I don't think Fitz will be able to convince Luke to take the same contract as Jack. It's likely that the FLOOR on the deal is the 8.3 AAV/8yrs that Owen Power got, and it could get pricier than that. McLeod's deal getting much richer leaves us with not a lot of cap flexibility next year. Especially if they're also planning on trying to bring back Toffoli short term. It probably means also having to bridge Mercer, or move him/let Toffoli walk.

For the sake of argument, I'm going to say we trade Holtz and Vanecek's 1 year remaining for a goalie, along with a pick. I think Ullmark is more likely to shake loose than Swayman due to his age. So Holtz, Vanecek at half retained+a 2nd for Ullmark, who has one last season at 5 AAV. This gets the Devils Ullmark for about 6.70 million against the cap next year, and then maybe they sign a 2-3 year extension at 6 million AAV. The benefit to the Bruins: they get a young top 6 forward in Holtz who isn't even extension eligible next year, and they get the cap flexibility to sign Swayman to the long term extension he's earned, while moving Ullmark during the last year of his deal as he turns 31 and you're a bit nervous about a long-term extension at this price tag with an aging team.

In this scenario, we probably still have to trade Palat for salary relief to be able to fit Luke's extension in, even with the cap expanding in 2025 too (and .7 million of Ullmark/Vanecek coming off the books).

Novak is a stand-in for some depth UFA forward type in 2024, like the Tierney/Nosek model the Devils have used recently, to fill out the roster.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
LISTE DE RÉSERVEANSCAP HIT
3925 000 $
RFAANSCAP HIT
2875 000 $
43 500 000 $
31 500 000 $
1875 000 $
34 000 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
1775 000 $
24 406 667 $
Transactions
BOS
  1. Holtz, Alexander
  2. Vanecek, Vitek (1 700 000 $ retained)
  3. Choix de 2e ronde en 2025 (NJD)
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Frais appliqués
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de COL
Logo de NJD
Logo de NSH
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
Logo de NJD
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2387 700 000 $88 463 897 $1 538 897 $5 100 000 $-763 897 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Devils du New Jersey
4 406 667 $4 406 667 $
AD, AG
UFA
8 000 000 $8 000 000 $
C
UFA - 6
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
AD, AG
NMC
UFA - 7
8 800 000 $8 800 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 7
7 250 000 $7 250 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
AD, C
RFA
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 3
3 150 000 $3 150 000 $
C, AG
NTC
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 1
875 000 $875 000 $
AG
RFA
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
C
RFA
1 350 000 $1 350 000 $
AD
UFA - 1
775 000 $775 000 $
C
UFA - 3
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
9 000 000 $9 000 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo de Bruins de Boston
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
1 050 000 $1 050 000 $
DG
RFA - 1
918 333 $918 333 $ (Bonis de performance3 250 000 $$3M)
DD
RFA - 2
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
G
RFA
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance1 850 000 $$2M)
DG/DD
RFA - 1
4 400 000 $4 400 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
875 000 $875 000 $
G
RFA
925 000 $925 000 $
DD
RFA - 3

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
2 janv. à 13 h 13
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 360
Quoting: TGSCraig
I truly don't get why dgibb derails every conversation about a goalie trade and always devolves it into "the Devils should give up peanuts and get a Vezina trophy winner or they could just sign a guy off the street."

It can be true that you can get lucky and get a great goalie in free agency or via a very cheap trade. But it's also true that the Devils will have to give up assets for legitimate Vezina candidate goalies. I was banging the drum for Connor Hellebuyck, cost be damned, this summer, and he currently has the highest GSaX of all goalies, and would have the Devils in the President's Trophy hunt if they had traded for him.

At some point you do have to take a stab. And I think Ullmark is worth this amount of outlay

This guy gets it... it always comes back to a 36 year old Fleury got a 2nd round pick for a return so every goalie should cost a 2nd round pick regardless of circumstances. Are we forgetting that Vanecek was traded for a 2nd round pick... so Vanecek = Ullmark by that logic?

Helly and Ullmark are statistically very similiar goalies although Helly has a bit more mileage on him. Devils are going to need to give up assets to return a good goalie or just use the Toronto method of trying to find cheap goalies every year and inevitably failing. Finding a cheap goalie and hoping they get hot in the playoffs is not a viable strategy.
2 janv. à 13 h 23
Quoting: dgibb10

The upgrade from Vanacek to even mediocre play like Mrazek (which should cost like a 4th) would be massive.

Not sure Mrazek is an upgrade from Vanacek tbh
2 janv. à 13 h 26
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,228
I don’t want to stand pat.

But I am going to use comparables to make my trades.

And the comparables from a decade of goalie trades say they aren’t that expensive to acquire.

Every time people try and go against the comparables, the comparables always win. Every fanbase has a justification on why their player should be worth way more than the comps. They almost always return the comps.

The upgrade from Vanacek to even mediocre play like Mrazek (which should cost like a 4th) would be massive.

That doesn’t mean pay the moon for a goalie. It means get anyone but Vanacek

Your general assumption is that they don’t cost much

I wouldn’t trade much for a 36 or 37 year old center personally. Using old players as a baseline for all deals is disingenuous.

I don’t believe that Taylor Hall is only worth Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula, but cap health can impact trade value. Using cap dumps as a baseline deal for all deals would be disingenuous

Most top shelf goalies aren’t traded for whatever reason and whether you like it or not, Jersey’s current mgmt team hasn’t shown the ability to acquire a goalie and develop them.

We can have a viable argument whether Holtz and a second rounder is too much or if retention on Vanacek would be needed in this deal, but all I can tell you is a conditional first isn’t going to get it done and if that is your finishing point, there is no point in having a discussion in the first place.

You are the prospector going door to door saying market value of your house is 700k in a neighborhood and wondering why the owners with manicured lawns and tasteful interiors are telling you F off, while the single guy with water damage on his ceiling and scratches on his wood floors is entertaining it.
BruinsWoahWoah a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 13 h 30
Quoting: BruinsWoahWoah

He is an upgrade. He is maybe in the top 30 goalies in the league where Vanacek is probably in the 40-50 range
2 janv. à 13 h 49
Quoting: Celtics21
He is an upgrade. He is maybe in the top 30 goalies in the league where Vanacek is probably in the 40-50 range

I should clarify... Mrazek may be better than Vanecek, but I don't think its a massive difference maker for New Jersey.

Career numbers
Mrazek: 2.79 GAA and .907 SV%
Vanecek: 2.75 GAA and .905 SV%

Mrzaek is certainly having a better year but is still allowing 3+ GAA and is at .904. If you look at Mrazek's last two years, he was pretty below average on both Toronto and Chicago with sub-.900 SV%. He was solid in Carolina. I just wouldn't count on him to completely turn around New Jersey's goaltending woes.
2 janv. à 13 h 51
I should clarify... Mrazek may be better than Vanecek, but I don't think its a massive difference maker for New Jersey.

Career numbers

Mrzaek is certainly having a better year but is still allowing 3+ GAA and is at .904. If you look at Mrazek's last two years, he was pretty below average on both Toronto and Chicago with sub-.900 SV%. He was solid in Carolina. I just wouldn't count on him to completely turn around New Jersey's goaltending woes.

I tend to look at Goals Saved Above Expected per 60. They both kind of suck there, but Mrazek looks better this year. Then again, James Reimer was viewed as viable by Jersey fans until his recent cold streak
BruinsWoahWoah et dgibb10 a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 13 h 53
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,230

Anything is an upgrade from Vanacek’s play up to this point in the season.

Vanacek going forward maybe not much worse than Mrazek.

But so far Vanacek has been overall the wors6 (Campbell and Samsonov and others have been worse but over a smaller sample size so overall have had less of a negative impact) goalie in hockey.
BruinsWoahWoah a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 14 h 2
I Love J Boqvist

Career numbers

I’m not expecting him to be elite. I expect in the randomness of goalies that 1 of Schmid Daws Vanacek and Mrazek to provide competent goaltending from here on out.

Literally anything, including Vanacek going forward, will be better than what Vanacek has been so fat
2 janv. à 14 h 6
I Love J Boqvist
Your general assumption is that they don’t cost much

I wouldn’t trade much for a 36 or 37 year old center personally. Using old players as a baseline for all deals is disingenuous.

I don’t believe that Taylor Hall is only worth Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula, but cap health can impact trade value. Using cap dumps as a baseline deal for all deals would be disingenuous

Most top shelf goalies aren’t traded for whatever reason and whether you like it or not, Jersey’s current mgmt team hasn’t shown the ability to acquire a goalie and develop them.

We can have a viable argument whether Holtz and a second rounder is too much or if retention on Vanacek would be needed in this deal, but all I can tell you is a conditional first isn’t going to get it done and if that is your finishing point, there is no point in having a discussion in the first place.

You are the prospector going door to door saying market value of your house is 700k in a neighborhood and wondering why the owners with manicured lawns and tasteful interiors are telling you F off, while the single guy with water damage on his ceiling and scratches on his wood floors is entertaining it.

“General assumption”

Being every goalie traded in the last 15 years.

If you guys can find comparables to justify your asks, I’m happy to pay it.

I don’t care who the goalie comes from. I’d go to every team and everyone with an offer (obviously with a ranking in mind but nobody I’d particularly care for to overpay). All of which would follow comparables. Both top tier, mid tier, and stopgap. If every single team decides to jack up the goalie market, then I’d go and up the offers.

But unless it absolutely comes down to the only way to get a goalie from any team in the league is to massively overpay (which I find extremely unlikely based on the entire history of the NHL in the salary cap era), I’m going to follow the comps
2 janv. à 14 h 44
“General assumption”

Being every goalie traded in the last 15 years.

If you guys can find comparables to justify your asks, I’m happy to pay it.

I don’t care who the goalie comes from. I’d go to every team and everyone with an offer (obviously with a ranking in mind but nobody I’d particularly care for to overpay). All of which would follow comparables. Both top tier, mid tier, and stopgap. If every single team decides to jack up the goalie market, then I’d go and up the offers.

But unless it absolutely comes down to the only way to get a goalie from any team in the league is to massively overpay (which I find extremely unlikely based on the entire history of the NHL in the salary cap era), I’m going to follow the comps

Kuemper, Andersen, Martin Jones, Lehner, Cory Schneider, and Varlamov all netted firsts + other assets. Price for Ullmark starts with a first round pick.
2 janv. à 14 h 46
I Love J Boqvist
Kuemper, Andersen, Martin Jones, Lehner, Cory Schneider, and Varlamov all netted firsts + other assets. Price for Ullmark starts with a first round pick.

Were any of those goalies 30+ year old rentals?

Bc from what I can see you listed a bunch of younger goalies with control.

And Schneider who was a tier above (he’s much closer to a Swayman comp)

Kuemper is a comp but he was retained.

3.4 mill for a heavily conditional 3rd, 1st, and prospect.

I would offer 1st+3rd conditional on us winning the cup (same as kuemper condistions) for a 5 mill Ullmark if push came to shove. Wouldn’t be my first choice tho
2 janv. à 14 h 54
Rejoint: janv. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 326
I have been loathe to trade Ullmark because the duo of Swayman and him give Boston the one advantage they have over every NHL team.

That being said this trade for the Bruins I would wholeheartedly accept. It addresses Boston's needs of draft capital, a potential bona fide scorer and experienced backup goaltending for the next 1.5 seasons.
2 janv. à 15 h 6
I Love J Boqvist

Jones, Andersen, Schneider, and Varlamov, Lehner are all more similar to Swayman comps. Younger, controlled goalies hitting RFA/moved to keep older goalies.

And again, I’d be happy to pay those comps for Swayman.

Dawson Mercer would be my offer.
2 janv. à 15 h 8
I Love J Boqvist

My list of Ullmark comps are offers like Bishop, Luongo, Kuemper, Fluery, Lehner (the 2nd time), etc
2 janv. à 15 h 32
Were any of those goalies 30+ year old rentals?

Bc from what I can see you listed a bunch of younger goalies with control.

And Schneider who was a tier above (he’s much closer to a Swayman comp)

Kuemper is a comp but he was retained.

3.4 mill for a heavily conditional 3rd, 1st, and prospect.

I would offer 1st+3rd conditional on us winning the cup (same as kuemper condistions) for a 5 mill Ullmark if push came to shove. Wouldn’t be my first choice tho

Kuemper is probably the best comp for Ullmark - he was a 31 year old rental (same age as Ullmark is now) and returned RFA rights to Timmins, a 1st, and a conditional 3rd with $1M retention on Kuemper. That being said, Ullmark is the better player and has better track record than Kuemper.
2 janv. à 15 h 39
I Love J Boqvist
Kuemper is probably the best comp for Ullmark - he was a 31 year old rental (same age as Ullmark is now) and returned RFA rights to Timmins, a 1st, and a conditional 3rd with $1M retention on Kuemper. That being said, Ullmark is the better player and has better track record than Kuemper.

I’d rather have kuemper who was dominant as a workhorse on a bad Arizona team than a Ullmark who’s never handled a true starters workload behind a defensively sound system in Boston and has disastrous playoff results

But like I said, if it came down to it I’d offer 1st+ conditional 3rd for Ullmark at 5 mill vs 1st+prospect+conditional 3rd for kuemper at 3.4 mill

Also just curious did you intentionally name a bunch of “comps” that have no age comparison while ignoring other comps of veteran goalie rentals like fluery, lehner to Vegas, bishop, etc to try and raise what the perceived value was?
2 janv. à 16 h 32
I’d rather have kuemper who was dominant as a workhorse on a bad Arizona team than a Ullmark who’s never handled a true starters workload behind a defensively sound system in Boston and has disastrous playoff results

But like I said, if it came down to it I’d offer 1st+ conditional 3rd for Ullmark at 5 mill vs 1st+prospect+conditional 3rd for kuemper at 3.4 mill

Also just curious did you intentionally name a bunch of “comps” that have no age comparison while ignoring other comps of veteran goalie rentals like fluery, lehner to Vegas, bishop, etc to try and raise what the perceived value was?

Kuemper's best year in Arizona statistically came when he played in 29 games. He only had one season in Arizona where he played more than 30 games, which was 57 appearances in 2018-2019, so he was really only a "workhorse" for one season. In his 10 year career, he has only made more than 30 appearances three times.

- Lehner to Vegas trade got a second round pick and two prospects - I don't think its a good comp because of Lehner's off-ice baggage, he was playing some of his worst hockey in Chicago, and fell out of favor with the GM and was not in the team's future plans. Source: https://theathletic.com/1631997/2020/02/24/blackhawks-trade-goaltender-robin-lehner-to-golden-knights/.

Some excerpts: But Lehner left quietly, muddling through the worst stretch of his season and being shipped off to Las Vegas ahead of Monday’s trade deadline. The Blackhawks are getting a second-round pick, goaltender Malcolm Subban and defenseman prospect Slava Demin, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. Lehner, a Vezina finalist a year ago with the New York Islanders, was a surprise free-agent signing in July, coming to Chicago on a one-year, $5-million contract. His openness about his mental health and alcoholism during his time in Buffalo made him a symbol of strength and hope for many, but apparently made him too big of a risk for most general managers around the league. In the meantime, Crawford — who significantly outplayed Lehner over the past month, posting a .939 save percentage compared to Lehner’s .888 — remains the Blackhawks’ goalie of the present and possibly the future.

- Fleury was 6 years older than Ullmark currently is so less market for a 36 year old than a player still in his prime.

- Which Bishop trade are you referring to? The 2017 trade to LA Kings where he had a full NMC?
2 janv. à 16 h 41
I Love J Boqvist
Kuemper's best year in Arizona statistically came when he played in 29 games. He only had one season in Arizona where he played more than 30 games, which was 57 appearances in 2018-2019, so he was really only a "workhorse" for one season. In his 10 year career, he has only made more than 30 appearances three times.

- Lehner to Vegas trade got a second round pick and two prospects - I don't think its a good comp because of Lehner's off-ice baggage, he was playing some of his worst hockey in Chicago, and fell out of favor with the GM and was not in the team's future plans. Source: https://theathletic.com/1631997/2020/02/24/blackhawks-trade-goaltender-robin-lehner-to-golden-knights/.

Some excerpts: But Lehner left quietly, muddling through the worst stretch of his season and being shipped off to Las Vegas ahead of Monday’s trade deadline. The Blackhawks are getting a second-round pick, goaltender Malcolm Subban and defenseman prospect Slava Demin, per Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. Lehner, a Vezina finalist a year ago with the New York Islanders, was a surprise free-agent signing in July, coming to Chicago on a one-year, $5-million contract. His openness about his mental health and alcoholism during his time in Buffalo made him a symbol of strength and hope for many, but apparently made him too big of a risk for most general managers around the league. In the meantime, Crawford — who significantly outplayed Lehner over the past month, posting a .939 save percentage compared to Lehner’s .888 — remains the Blackhawks’ goalie of the present and possibly the future.

- Fleury was 6 years older than Ullmark currently is so less market for a 36 year old than a player still in his prime.

- Which Bishop trade are you referring to? The 2017 trade to LA Kings where he had a full NMC?

There’s always a reason why a goalie doesn’t go for much.

For Ullmark it’s his age, being a system goalie, lack of ever handling a true starters workload, playoff failures, lack of term, partial NTC, and the fact that’s he’s becoming obsolete in Boston, a team who needs to find top 6Cs (the most expensive asset in the NHL, 9 mill for a 2C like Lindholm in todays market btw).

A good backup goalie is a nice luxury that helps win games in the regular season. Complete waste in the playoffs when every team is playing their starter every game.
2 janv. à 16 h 52
IAlso just curious did you intentionally name a bunch of “comps” that have no age comparison while ignoring other comps of veteran goalie rentals like fluery, lehner to Vegas, bishop, etc to try and raise what the perceived value was?

Ummm… take a look at your comparables in terms of age. Keumper is the best comparable and like I’ve said, Boston likely doesn’t trade him to an east coast team unless they make it worth their while and it’s a better offer than from a team in the other conference.

A first with no salary coming back only makes sense if multiple free agents say they want to come and we don’t have the cap room to sign both with our free room (you’d have to get to two premium players to get to that point).

The first deal actually made sense with the retention or the 2nd being a discussion point. I’m not sure if view Holtz as worth more than Ullmark in any realm, but he’s an interesting flyer that could be if he materializes. The likely scenario is Ullmark changes NJ significantly more than Holtz changes Boston

My view on Vanacek is I wouldn’t want him at 1.7 and a 3rd is a throwaway pick.

Holtz is interesting, but we have some interesting options where service time is going to create an eligible for waivers issue soon enough. Lysell, if committed to playing a specific game, is the type of high shelf option this team desperately needs.
2 janv. à 16 h 57
I Love J Boqvist
Ummm… take a look at your comparables in terms of age. Keumper is the best comparable and like I’ve said, Boston likely doesn’t trade him to an east coast team unless they make it worth their while and it’s a better offer than from a team in the other conference.

A first with no salary coming back only makes sense if multiple free agents say they want to come and we don’t have the cap room to sign both with our free room (you’d have to get to two premium players to get to that point).

The first deal actually made sense

Holtz is interesting, but we have some interesting options where service time is going to create an eligible for waivers issue soon enough. Lysell, if committed to playing a specific game, is the type of high shelf option this team desperately needs.

Holtz would only be on the table in a swayman deal. (1st+Holtz+Vanacek to compare to the Schneider value).

I would be shocked if Boston doesn’t move on from a goalie this offseason. 12 mill on goalies doesn’t seem like the brightest idea.

If the market yields a deal similar to the kuemper deal, I would expect Boston to take it.

If the market is really ugly on Ullmark, I could see them moving Swayman who will actually hold legit value in getting them a top 6 C, where Ullmark won’t get them close to it.

NJD and Boston aren’t competing unless it’s in the ECF. This isn’t a division rival you’re sending him to. If you try and limit yourself to only western conference teams, it’s gonna tank his value even more.

Especially with his trade protections.
2 janv. à 17 h 1
I Love J Boqvist

The first deal actually made sense with the retention or the 2nd being a discussion point. I’m not sure if view Holtz as worth more than Ullmark in any realm, but he’s an interesting flyer that could be if he materializes. The likely scenario is Ullmark changes NJ significantly more than Holtz changes Boston

If you want to not sell to the East, enjoy the 2nd from LAK. Because that’s the only suitor out west.
2 janv. à 17 h 4
There’s always a reason why a goalie doesn’t go for much.

For Ullmark it’s his age, being a system goalie, lack of ever handling a true starters workload, playoff failures, lack of term, partial NTC, and the fact that’s he’s becoming obsolete in Boston, a team who needs to find top 6Cs (the most expensive asset in the NHL, 9 mill for a 2C like Lindholm in todays market btw).

A good backup goalie is a nice luxury that helps win games in the regular season. Complete waste in the playoffs when every team is playing their starter every game.

Goalies don't go for much because teams with goalies as good as Ullmark don't trade them? We can agree that Kuemper is the best comp to Ullmark based on age, contract circumstances, and performance. Kuemper was only available because he was playing for the perennial bottom dwelling Coyotes.

IMO the only credible point you bring up is his playoff performance. His age, system goalie (he was good on a terrible Buffalo team), starter workload (he would play more if Sway wasn't so good and has played 40+ games every season in Boston.. to put this in perspective Carter Hart and Demo have played in 120/121 regular season games since 2021. Ullmark has played in 108. Are Hart/Demko not starters?), and NTC are irrelevant because it wouldn't factor into negotiations with NJD. I don't think he is becoming obsolete in Boston - I am sure the Bruins would be happy to bring him back next season to keep Swayman fresh. Having two elite goaltenders in a huge advantage for Boston.

Bruins are doing just fine with their Top 6 Cs.... they are neck and neck with the Rangers for best record in the league. Coyle has stepped up well to fill the 2C role, Poitras is looking like he will develop into a Top 6 C, they have a few intriguing center prospects, and Pasta is proving that it doesn't matter who the 1C is because he is so dominant... that line has produced whether Zacha was centered the line or Morgan Geekie who has suddenly turned into a PPG player in the last month since moving up to 1C.
2 janv. à 17 h 12
I Love J Boqvist
Goalies don't go for much because teams with goalies as good as Ullmark don't trade them? We can agree that Kuemper is the best comp to Ullmark based on age, contract circumstances, and performance. Kuemper was only available because he was playing for the perennial bottom dwelling Coyotes.

IMO the only credible point you bring up is his playoff performance. His age, system goalie (he was good on a terrible Buffalo team), starter workload (he would play more if Sway wasn't so good and has played 40+ games every season in Boston.. to put this in perspective Carter Hart and Demo have played in 120/121 regular season games since 2021. Ullmark has played in 108. Are Hart/Demko not starters?), and NTC are irrelevant because it wouldn't factor into negotiations with NJD. I don't think he is becoming obsolete in Boston - I am sure the Bruins would be happy to bring him back next season to keep Swayman fresh. Having two elite goaltenders in a huge advantage for Boston.

Bruins are doing just fine with their Top 6 Cs.... they are neck and neck with the Rangers for best record in the league. Coyle has stepped up well to fill the 2C role, Poitras is looking like he will develop into a Top 6 C, they have a few intriguing center prospects, and Pasta is proving that it doesn't matter who the 1C is because he is so dominant... that line has produced whether Zacha was centered the line or Morgan Geekie who has suddenly turned into a PPG player in the last month since moving up to 1C.

The rangers and bruins do have a lot in common. Quick and Ullmark have been very good. And that does give a significant upgrade over the other teams backups.

But you know who doesn’t play in a playoff series? Your backup goalie.

It’s Swayman and Igor vs Woll vs Freddy vs Schmid vs sorokin vs Vasy vs Hart vs Bob vs lindgren.

It’s not Vanacek vs Raanta vs Ullmark vs Kuemper vs Jonas vs varlamov vs quick vs Samsonov.

You don’t get to go against Vanacek or Raanta or Samsonov come playoff time.

Backup goalie play wins regular season games. It doesn’t win playoff series’
2 janv. à 17 h 14
I Love J Boqvist

Zacha’s metrics aren’t good. Coyles are nothing special and I wouldn’t trust a 30 year old who’s been a 3C for a decade to suddenly be a guy you can trust. Poitras is a 19 year old. Personally I wouldn’t buy into slotting him in as a decade long top 6 C based on a small sample size. There’s a reason he still got sent to the world Juniors.
2 janv. à 17 h 16
Holtz would only be on the table in a swayman deal. (1st+Holtz+Vanacek to compare to the Schneider value).

I would be shocked if Boston doesn’t move on from a goalie this offseason. 12 mill on goalies doesn’t seem like the brightest idea.

If the market yields a deal similar to the kuemper deal, I would expect Boston to take it.

If the market is really ugly on Ullmark, I could see them moving Swayman who will actually hold legit value in getting them a top 6 C, where Ullmark won’t get them close to it.

NJD and Boston aren’t competing unless it’s in the ECF. This isn’t a division rival you’re sending him to. If you try and limit yourself to only western conference teams, it’s gonna tank his value even more.

Especially with his trade protections.

IMO Swayman is not available and likely signs long-term this offseason with some NTC protection for somewhere in the neighborhood of $6M AAV. According to CapFriendly, his closest comparable is Oettinger at $4M AAV so give him the extra $2M per year, no trade, and long-term security. Bruins would be able to keep Ullmark for another season and let him play out his deal and see if he will re-sign for a discount if no offers are compelling to move him. Even with $12M tied up on goalies, Boston has the cap flexibility to sign a big $9M+ FA this offseason.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage