SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

13 janv. à 1 h 1
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
Quoting: aadoyle
Thats what a lot of people dont seem as while being rare OS are a thing

Remember 3 years ago with Sandin and Liligren. Yes nothing happened but the threat was always there

If we go fine sit out his agents gonna leak **** to other teams lets be real and we see an OS the next day.

But yea its his choice what he signs for. We have seen guys take cheap 8 year deals (RNH) and we have seen guys go bridge, bridge, big fat deal

I feel Knies = bridge, bridge, big fat deal

yea...offer sheets are rare because most teams negotiate in good faith...and chances are...if you're offering something reasonable, another GM isn't going to come and blow that out of the water with an inflated offer sheet that comes with draft compensation.

But in this hypothetical situation, you have a GM trying to deploy bully negotiating tactics and it wouldn't be as hard to attract a reasonable offer sheet to sign
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
13 janv. à 1 h 6
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,023
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Didn't this happen with Hyman? How'd that turn out? You really would rather pay him 7%+ of the cap/lose him when his deal is up like the Oilers did with Hyman?

No it's not leverage, as long as Toronto has a QO, Knies stays under TC

McDavid
13 janv. à 1 h 7
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,973
Quoting: Juice
yea...offer sheets are rare because most teams negotiate in good faith...and chances are...if you're offering something reasonable, another GM isn't going to come and blow that out of the water with an inflated offer sheet that comes with draft compensation.

But in this hypothetical situation, you have a GM trying to deploy bully negotiating tactics and it wouldn't be as hard to attract a reasonable offer sheet to sign

I think also as we saw with MTL and CAR the fear of retaliation is real

As wow talk about revenge

U wanted to get AHO from us FU we take KK

And to me that started the oh **** cant do that as one day this team gonna pounce when we vulnerable

Cause how many times was there a real good shot to OS but a team didnt take it

Sandin and Liligren for instance 4.2m OS Toronto only gets a 2nd and whoever did it gets a young player with upside

Honestly it feels like the NBA where its almost extinct lul
13 janv. à 1 h 7
and one other thing...in order for a team to keep an RFA from becomming a UFA...they need to issue a qualifying offer...which is 1year.

So why couldn't knies accept the qualifying offer....that would take him to 4 years of service, and then he'd be eligible for arbitration where a 3rd party determines a fair salary and term.

Sorry...there's just so many things factually wrong and illogical with the approach
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
13 janv. à 1 h 9
Rip
Then don't play...

Simple as that... Leafs are telling Knies they want him there for the long haul, Knies will take the deal as it's more money then he would get via bridge and it's guaranteed money...

You and other Leafs fans treat RFA status like UFA

If another team offers that, match it and trade him...

This isn't a video game, why would Knies agree to being under paid if he thinks he's worth more?
13 janv. à 2 h 50
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,627
Based on Tree's track record u either get a long 6 year deal or bridge. For Knies bridge may be best as we still dont have a full picture of him

JT is gonna get a deal in the 5.5-7m range based on comparable so is that really low?

Defense agree and based on Brad's comments I see that being the big focus next offseason

Woll is tough. Goalies are voodo but at the same time if he plays his heart out we go from a potential 4m deal to 8m

About JT...not sure how the rest of you feel but man he's lost alot of speed..not that he had tons to begin with. That has made him such huge defensive liability.

I think once his deal is done, thank him for his years and look elsewhere for someone younger and cheaper because cap wise, there's not much choice but to go younger and cheaper.
13 janv. à 7 h 19
Leafs going to Leafs
Mentions "j'aime": 2,949
Quoting: Juice
Other than the fact this would be against the CBA...sure.

First, You know if your RFA gets an offer sheet and you execute your right of first refusal, you can't trade him for a year, right?

Second, your reaction is not to be happy that the player you wanted for 8 years will be under contract for, in this example, 4 years....no...why would you be satisfied? You would be so offended that this player you wanted to force into an 8 year contract had the audacity to exercise one of the few rights he actually has...that you trade his a$$ away.

Sorry bud...it's a blatant lack of maturity and people skills

And? In this example, it's a 4 year deal... means you wait 1/4 years and trade him... Would rather do that then have to negotiate with 27 year old UFA Knies

No, it's called got your young players locked down, that's how you avoid bad deals like than Marner one...

Sorry bud... NHL is a business... If you have fear in negotiations, they'll walk all over you
13 janv. à 7 h 20
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
McDavid

Who signed for 8 years...

Think of all the best contract in the league, 90% signed for 8 years
13 janv. à 7 h 23
Leafs going to Leafs
This isn't a video game, why would Knies agree to being under paid if he thinks he's worth more?

Why would JH sign for 8 then? Former 1st overall pick
Why would Draisaitl sign for 8 then?

It's called if Knies is worth x rn, pay him x+2 mill for 8 years as the cap goes up... Then, you get to negotiate with 27 y/o Knies Instead of 1rst year UFA
13 janv. à 8 h 25
Rip
Who signed for 8 years...

Think of all the best contract in the league, 90% signed for 8 years

McDavid is the reason Hyman looks like a bargain. He isn't a point a game player away from McDavid.
13 janv. à 8 h 27
Rip
Why would JH sign for 8 then? Former 1st overall pick
Why would Draisaitl sign for 8 then?

It's called if Knies is worth x rn, pay him x+2 mill for 8 years as the cap goes up... Then, you get to negotiate with 27 y/o Knies Instead of 1rst year UFA

So you want to give Knies a huge 8+ a year deal? Those examples are not good. Both players are better than Knies. And you are saying sign him for 8 years at 4.5 or less. You can't just demand he sign for 8 at a low cap and just say sign it or else. Why would he do that? Because you say so?
13 janv. à 9 h 42
And? In this example, it's a 4 year deal... means you wait 1/4 years and trade him... Would rather do that then have to negotiate with 27 year old UFA Knies

No, it's called got your young players locked down, that's how you avoid bad deals like than Marner one...

Sorry bud... NHL is a business... If you have fear in negotiations, they'll walk all over you

ya...operate your business with a 4 year grudge regardless of performance. Makes sense. Future CEO potential for sure right here

I don't know how old you are or what you actually do if your old enough for a job....but I am involved in negotiations and contracts every day and can promise you I'd be fired a long time ago if I took your approach
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
13 janv. à 13 h 49
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 janv. à 15 h 16
Quoting: oneX
About JT...not sure how the rest of you feel but man he's lost alot of speed..not that he had tons to begin with. That has made him such huge defensive liability.

I think once his deal is done, thank him for his years and look elsewhere for someone younger and cheaper because cap wise, there's not much choice but to go younger and cheaper.

Idk despite the speed going down he still is a very good player

Tavares.png

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/why-maple-leafs-should-make-retaining-john-tavares-a-top-priority/

Like at 5.5m-6.1 x 2 years I wouldnt mind him back but there are other things to consider to
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 janv. à 14 h 5
Rip
The Leafs aren't going to let their captain walk away. JT will definitely get resigned
Saskleaf et Random2152 a aimé ceci.
13 janv. à 15 h 14
Hakuna Matata
The Leafs aren't going to let their captain walk away. JT will definitely get resigned

Hes the one Im going 50/50 as I think their focus is to keep the young trio, give Matthews the captaincy in 2025-2026 season

As there are valid arguments for moving on and keeping

He will be 34 and if we factor they may target McDavid the following season they may decide to move on. If he asks for over 7m they also should look into moving on
13 janv. à 15 h 45
Rip
Hes the one Im going 50/50 as I think their focus is to keep the young trio, give Matthews the captaincy in 2025-2026 season

As there are valid arguments for moving on and keeping

He will be 34 and if we factor they may target McDavid the following season they may decide to move on. If he asks for over 7m they also should look into moving on

Doesn't matter, he's resigning. It just doesn't make sense to let him go. Hopefully they give him 6 years at 5.5
Random2152 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 janv. à 15 h 49
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 janv. à 16 h 48
Doesn't matter, he's resigning. It just doesn't make sense to let him go. Hopefully they give him 6 years at 5.5

I mean it does make sense to let him go

Hes gonna be 34 once his deal's done

Teams move on from Captains and guys like this when they feel its time due to age or other factors. Its not like Matthews, Marner or Nylander who are young and just entering their primes. JT at this point is passed that

6 years at 5.5m will put him at 40 years old hell nah thats a bad deal waiting to happen. We dont want anchors here and with that JT deal u get 1 maybe 2 decent years of it

We have a 5 year window and there is a solid opportunity to do something interesting with the space they can get from his deal being done...Draisaitl or McDavid for instance could happen if we move on
13 janv. à 16 h 13
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,602

Teams move on from Captains and guys when they feel its time. Its not like Matthews, Marner or Nylander who are young and just entering their primes. JT at this point is passed that

6 years at 5.5m will put him at 40 years old hell nah thats a bad deal waiting to happen. We dont want anchors here and with that JT deal u get 1 maybe 2 decent years of it

We have a 5 year window and there is a solid opportunity to do something interesting with the space they can get from his deal being done...Draisaitl or McDavid for instance could happen if we move on

I'll bet you real money right now JT gets signed
Saskleaf et NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
13 janv. à 16 h 21
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,046
Quoting: Random2152

And I bet it's going to be significantly less than what most people think (4.5m x 2y)
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 janv. à 16 h 32
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Since Dec. 1st #LeafsForever forwards 5v5 production and rank overall in the NHL.

Matthews - 13 points (17th)
Nylander - 12 points (27th)
Marner - 11 points (36th)
Domi - 10 points (45th)
Tavares - 6 points (158th)

I realize points are not everything but am I crazy for wanting Domi at 2C.

And I’m totally cool to let Tavares walk
13 janv. à 16 h 50
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152

In general I dont see the point if a guy like Draisaitl is sitting right there or if your saving for McDavid in 2026. Sure it means 4 guys in double digits but either one of those guys be an upgrade rn

Unless hes going 5m x 2 years then I go sure here's the X sign here.
13 janv. à 16 h 51
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Since Dec. 1st #LeafsForever forwards 5v5 production and rank overall in the NHL.

Matthews - 13 points (17th)
Nylander - 12 points (27th)
Marner - 11 points (36th)
Domi - 10 points (45th)
Tavares - 6 points (158th)

I realize points are not everything but am I crazy for wanting Domi at 2C.

And I’m totally cool to let Tavares walk

In general with guys like Draisaitl and McDavid potentially available why not save for them

Could also use Domi or other guys. As there are some really good options these next two FA in terms of Centers, Wing, and Dman

Shea Theodore anyone?
13 janv. à 16 h 58
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1746235617829126505?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

24 years old
13 janv. à 16 h 58
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,194

6 years is too long at that price but I’d take 4 years at 5.5
13 janv. à 17 h 8
Rip

Teams move on from Captains and guys like this when they feel its time due to age or other factors. Its not like Matthews, Marner or Nylander who are young and just entering their primes. JT at this point is passed that

The guy is still nearly a point a game player. And what he does is still extremely useful. He'll win faceoffs and be a good leader deeper in the lineup. If McDavid is available and wants to come to TO you figure that out when it happens. Not before
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage