Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

8 janv. à 16 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,974
Quoting: Random2152
We have over 20 mil. Relax

Thats gonna get eaten up fast its not like only one spot needs to be filled out

We need two top 4 RD, a good backup goalie, a good 3c, top 6 LW among other things going into next year

20m may look like a lot but its not when we consider what this team needs going into next year

Like if Bertuzzi gets 4.5-5m we got 15m to sign a bunch of guys. Thats not a lot when u consider the fact top 4 RD wont come cheap

We were already having issues filling things out with 3 guys making double digits now we got 4. The bargain bin gonna need to be bigger in 2024 thats for sure.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 16 h 55
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,194
That isn't what cap % means dude. I never made that argument

Ok fair enough, I thought that’s what you were trying to say. To that point I will say I’m pretty surprised that’s how the cap percentages stack up

I’ve just heard that argument a lot lately is all.
8 janv. à 17 h 18
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
1. I think we need to get liljegren on as cheap a 1-yr extension as possible and give him every chance to be a 1RD or 2RD and earn a bigger extension in the post-$11m Tavares era. Would be fine seeing Benoit brought back at under $1m if possible for the 3rd pairing...still leaves 2 spots on the right side open for either Timmins or free agents or if they think Niemela/Kokkonen are ready (I'm guessing no on those two for opening day)...but I'm thinking $3.5m between Lilly and Benoit

2. Vet backup for Woll at $1.5m or less....would the Flower come here for $1m? Would be happy to see Jones return around a milly...but allocating $1.5m

3. Likely one of Domi or Bertuzzi and that's gonna be a combination of how much of that depends on where Robertson fits into the 2LW mix and how good Bert looks in the post season. If they bring back Bert then you gotta look at trading Robertson + for a bargain 3C. This probably isn't ideal and can argue it makes more sense to let Bert walk, have Robertson move up to the 2nd line and try and re-sign Domi instead...but I think Bert + defensive PKing 3C > Robertson + Domi...but also means less $$ for D.....allocating $9m between 2LW and 3C

4. Agree that three or four of Steeves/Minten/Cowen/Abruzeeze/McMann/Gregor/Holmberg/Bellows? take up half the bottom 6 spots at $850-$900k each with Jarnkrok and Kampf....allocate $2.6m

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bert @ $6m - Tavares - Nylander
$900k - $3m - Jarnkrok
$850k - Kampf - $850k

Rielly - UFA
McCabe - Liljegren @ $2.5m
Benoit @ $1m - UFA or Timmins

Woll
Backup @ $1.5m

I see about $7.5m to go and get 2 RHD assuming they aren't gonna roll with Timmins...more if they go the route of Robertson at 2LW and bring back Domi for $3.5-$4m
Saskleaf et oneX a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 17 h 24
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,274
Quoting: Juice
1. I think we need to get liljegren on as cheap a 1-yr extension as possible and give him every chance to be a 1RD or 2RD and earn a bigger extension in the post-$11m Tavares era. Would be fine seeing Benoit brought back at under $1m if possible for the 3rd pairing...still leaves 2 spots on the right side open for either Timmins or free agents or if they think Niemela/Kokkonen are ready (I'm guessing no on those two for opening day)...but I'm thinking $3.5m between Lilly and Benoit

2. Vet backup for Woll at $1.5m or less....would the Flower come here for $1m? Would be happy to see Jones return around a milly...but allocating $1.5m

3. Likely one of Domi or Bertuzzi and that's gonna be a combination of how much of that depends on where Robertson fits into the 2LW mix and how good Bert looks in the post season. If they bring back Bert then you gotta look at trading Robertson + for a bargain 3C. This probably isn't ideal and can argue it makes more sense to let Bert walk, have Robertson move up to the 2nd line and try and re-sign Domi instead...but I think Bert + defensive PKing 3C > Robertson + Domi...but also means less $$ for D.....allocating $9m between 2LW and 3C

4. Agree that three or four of Steeves/Minten/Cowen/Abruzeeze/McMann/Gregor/Holmberg/Bellows? take up half the bottom 6 spots at $850-$900k each with Jarnkrok and Kampf....allocate $2.6m

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bert $6m - Tavares - Nylander
$900k - $3m - Jarnkrok
$850k - Kampf - $850k

Rielly - UFA
McCabe - Liljegren $2.5m
Benoit $1m - UFA or Timmins

Woll
Backup $1.5m

I see about $7.5m to go and get 2 RHD assuming they aren't gonna roll with Timmins...more if they go the route of Robertson at 2LW and bring back Domi for $3.5-$4m

Disagree with that Liljegren plan. Now's the time to lock him up with some term, imo. Then give him every chance to be a 1-2 RD and hope he outperforms the hell out of that contract.
palhal et Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 17 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Disagree with that Liljegren plan. Now's the time to lock him up with some term, imo. Then give him every chance to be a 1-2 RD and hope he outperforms the hell out of that contract.

I dont have enough trust in him rn to go here's 4m x 6 years

Liligren needs at least one more bridge to really show hes capable of being paid and playing top 4 mins

As so far its been to much of a mixed bag

Keefe is putting McCabe on his offside and having Benoit up there over him in which hes playing with Gio. If there was trust for top 4 he would be with McCabe rn

Give him a bear deal rn and see what he does. He does well here's the big Girard contact, he sucks bye
8 janv. à 17 h 34
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512

I can't fault your logic and makes sense if you think he's going to be a $5m+ type defenceman. He seemed pretty amenable to the last extension so would love to get him for another 2-3 years at a lowish number but who knows...I could see 3yrs @ $3.75 but not sure he's a guy I go to $4m on yet. Needs to be used more down the stretch so we can see how he responds.
8 janv. à 17 h 39
I can't fault your logic and makes sense if you think he's going to be a $5m+ type defenceman. He seemed pretty amenable to the last extension so would love to get him for another 2-3 years at a lowish number but who knows...I could see 3yrs $3.75 but not sure he's a guy I go to $4m on yet. Needs to be used more down the stretch so we can see how he responds.

I honestly don't think it would take that much to get him for a few extra years. He's an RFA without much leverage and his agent isn't exactly a shark. I think this is one they can and should win.
8 janv. à 18 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,602
I honestly don't think it would take that much to get him for a few extra years. He's an RFA without much leverage and his agent isn't exactly a shark. I think this is one they can and should win.

I can't fault your logic and makes sense if you think he's going to be a $5m+ type defenceman. He seemed pretty amenable to the last extension so would love to get him for another 2-3 years at a lowish number but who knows...I could see 3yrs @ $3.75 but not sure he's a guy I go to $4m on yet. Needs to be used more down the stretch so we can see how he responds.

Feel like a 3x3-3.5 is probably where we end up here and I am fine with that
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 18 h 45
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

Neither is Treliving. All of his contracts (that had term) the player won
8 janv. à 18 h 49
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,693
One reason the Leafs have be cap trouble for years is the lack good young players on ELCs playing above their contract.
Gee, the Leafs have just two this season on ELC, next season Cowan could another.
But take a look at what other teams are paying their stars, the Leafs aren't that unique
Sabres next season over 27m in three players
Sens will have five players at 41m and still miss the playoffs
Oilers over 30m in three players.
Most teams spend to the cap or very close to it. Yeah the Leafs haven't been as successful as some teams, but a lot better than some many that don't make the playoffs. Remember the Ferguson/Burke/Nonis era, spending to the cap and rarely making the playoffs.
Saskleaf et Juice a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 18 h 59
https://twitter.com/thegoldenmuzzy/status/1744490081937723759

Already with this sh*t, just like after Matthews signed. Leafs need to pushback against Marner and his camp this time. Giving the fanbase and the org the middle finger and I hope they turn around and do it right back. Burn the bridge, idgaf. I'm so sick of this.
Random2152 a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 1
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming

Already with this sh*t, just like after Matthews signed. Leafs need to pushback against Marner and his camp this time. Giving the fanbase and the org the middle finger and I hope they turn around and do it right back. Burn the bridge, idgaf. I'm so sick of this.

Yeah I'm about done with Mitch. He can walk. Dude had the world and sold it for a couple mil
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 14
Yeah I'm about done with Mitch. He can walk. Dude had the world and sold it for a couple mil

100%

I went on a whole rant about that ages ago when someone was asking about why Mitch seemed to get a lot of hate.
8 janv. à 19 h 15
Hakuna Matata

And here we go knew it was coming lul

12.5M x 8 years calling it now

And unlike Willy dont wait till its 13-14m territory as we know he gonna catch contract fever
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 16
Go leafs go

I find it hilarious that you guys ok giving Willy 11.5 but not Mitch. Mitch has, with exception to this season, been the better player. Now I do agree the leafs need to push back and negotiate something less but we should have done the same with Willy so I’m not expecting it to happen with Marner.
aadoyle et palhal a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 20
Quoting: Saskleaf
I find it hilarious that you guys ok giving Willy 11.5 but not Mitch. Mitch has, with exception to this season, been the better player. Now I do agree the leafs need to push back and negotiate something less but we should have done the same with Willy so I’m not expecting it to happen with Marner.

A) I've said a bunch that I'm not a fan of the Nylander deal (though I'd rather have him than not) so I don't know where you're getting that from...

B) The tweet says well north of $11.5m

C) This is all about the way Marner and his camp negotiate
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 21
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming

The difference is that Mitch via his camp is thoroughly unlikeable.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 21
Hakuna Matata

Its kind of funny how Marner is having a down season and is still on pace for 33 goals and 90 points lul

Thats a down season for him
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 22
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,693
When Mitch's contract comes up, the Leafs have 14m cap room for three players.
Do they spend 12m on Marner and two 1m players
Or spend let's say 5m. 5m and 4m on three players.
Just don't think it should be battle Marner with what happened in the past. But certainly if Marner wants more than the Leafs want to spend, no harm having him leave. Happens all the time with UFAs.
8 janv. à 19 h 23
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
When Mitch's contract comes up, the Leafs have 14m cap room for three players.
Do they spend 12m on Marner and two 1m players
Or spend let's say 5m. 5m and 4m on three players.
Just don't think it should be battle Marner with what happened in the past. But certainly if Marner wants more than the Leafs want to spend, no harm having him leave. Happens all the time with UFAs.

Actually Leafs will have more than that as caps 92.1m by then and JT's off the books. They are gonna have more than 14m

Where's this 14m coming from I think the maths a bit off lul

As there will be guys expiring among other things
palhal a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 24
Hakuna Matata
Here's what I would do with Marner. Pounce on him early for an extension

If hes asking for Matthews money you go no

He asks for 12m give it to him

Dont argue dont question, just hand it over

That way its not like Willy who got 1.5m than what he was asking for in July
palhal et Juice a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 25
Go leafs go
A) I've said a bunch that I'm not a fan of the Nylander deal (though I'd rather have him than not) so I don't know where you're getting that from...

B) The tweet says well north of $11.5m

C) This is all about the way Marner and his camp negotiate

The difference is that Mitch via his camp is thoroughly unlikeable.

Fair enough, but still it’s understandable he’d want that
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 26
Hakuna Matata

Yep as hes about a 90-100+ point winger who will get yeah 30+ goals and makes sweet passes and is a solid PKer

Its no accident last season he was in the Selke conversation

Like we kept saying well Willy saw Marner make 10.9m and go hey I want the same or more. Why cant Willy do the same. Hey Willy got 11.5m I play better defensively gimmie 12.5m
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 26
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming

Not really. At best he has lived up to his current deal. Most I'd do is 12m for him (which is the same % as his current deal)
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
8 janv. à 19 h 28
Hakuna Matata
Not really. At best he has lived up to his current deal. Most I'd do is 12m for him (which is the same % as his current deal)

In general if we factor in contract fever Marner could push his value to 13-14m

Rather than risk what happened with Willy just give the kid his 12-12.5m before we end up seeing him put up a 40 goal 130 point season and demand Matthews money or more

As from Willy we learned signed these guys early it will save u more than a mill lul.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage