SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 2

5 nov. 2023 à 20 h 28
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,085
Alex Steeves should get a call up for the 4th line hes been having a nice start to the season with the Marlies 10 points 6 goals in 9 games. Same with Robertson only have him higher up

Once McCabe is back send Holmberg and Lajoie down and bring those 2 up
5 nov. 2023 à 23 h 33
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Nylander could bring in 3 guys that can produce and push guys who are hurt into the press box

And Treliving had 13 mill to work with to replace 5 forwards and 2 defensemen...

I did round up because you need two goalies so:

The Leafs headed into the offseason when you include Samsonov.

Jarnkrok - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
X - X - X
McMann - Holmberg -

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Excluding Gregor, they spent $16.4M.
6 nov. 2023 à 1 h 22
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,672
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Easton Cowan is so, so, so good

Honestly tonight wasn't his best game. He and Bonk got absolutely punked on goal 3
6 nov. 2023 à 8 h 48
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,047
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I did round up because you need two goalies so:

The Leafs headed into the offseason when you include Samsonov.

Jarnkrok - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
X - X - X
McMann - Holmberg -

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Excluding Gregor, they spent $16.4M.

My mistake then... I forgot they moved Timmins to LTIR and McMann down

And where'd you get the other 3 mill from? Benoit, Lagesson and Lajoie? They were all AHL, just in case signings, not going to affect the cap
6 nov. 2023 à 9 h 54
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,096
We are saved. Robertson is a Leaf once more
6 nov. 2023 à 10 h 7
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,297

Kinda would’ve preferred they left him down there a bit and let him cook. The guy has had such irregularity in his development. Really hope this is the time he makes it stick cause I don’t want to see him sent down again.
leafs101 a aimé ceci.
6 nov. 2023 à 12 h 15
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: aadoyle
Alex Steeves should get a call up for the 4th line hes been having a nice start to the season with the Marlies 10 points 6 goals in 9 games. Same with Robertson only have him higher up

Once McCabe is back send Holmberg and Lajoie down and bring those 2 up

The first step has happened now do the second

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ice-chips-toronto-maple-leafs-recall-f-nicholas-robertson-1.2031773
6 nov. 2023 à 12 h 16
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 6 nov. 2023 à 12 h 45

Once McCabe is back send down Lajoie and bring up Steeves for 4th line and were great

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Bertuzzi-JT-Marner
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-Steeves

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Lagesson
Gio-Klingberg (****ING WANT TO SCRATCH HIM BUT CANT UGH)

Extra: Reaves, Benoit
6 nov. 2023 à 12 h 23
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
Quoting: Leafsfan98
My mistake then... I forgot they moved Timmins to LTIR and McMann down

And where'd you get the other 3 mill from? Benoit, Lagesson and Lajoie? They were all AHL, just in case signings, not going to affect the cap

Bertuzzi + Klingberg + Domi + Kämpf + Reaves = 16.4

When you add in Samsonov (like I didn't earlier and said Treliving had close to 20 mil) that works out to 19,900,000

But you need to goalies, hopefully we are on the same page now.
6 nov. 2023 à 13 h 15
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,047
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Bertuzzi + Klingberg + Domi + Kämpf + Reaves = 16.4

When you add in Samsonov (like I didn't earlier and said Treliving had close to 20 mil) that works out to 19,900,000

But you need to goalies, hopefully we are on the same page now.

Didn't count the resingnings... My bad... And Sammy was still the best option and it sounds like these FA signings weren't Tre's 1rst options (ROR and Gudas being 2 of the guys the Leafs could have had)
6 nov. 2023 à 14 h 8
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/nylanderthews/status/1721565354156020091

I swear this guy saw my suggestion from 2 weeks ago

I said it here and then tweets started popping up lul

Also how Klingberg somehow got worse than he was in ANA who had 0 defense is a bruh moment in the hockey world.
6 nov. 2023 à 14 h 14
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
https://twitter.com/nylanderthews/status/1721565354156020091

I swear this guy saw my suggestion from 2 weeks ago

I said it here and then tweets started popping up lul

Also how Klingberg somehow got worse than he was in ANA who had 0 defense is a bruh moment in the hockey world.

Getting 2 legit top 4 defenseman with retention would cost us so much. I'd rather just get 1 defensive guy and then ride with our current group

I'm still convinced that utilizing Klingberg like how Minnesota did would be an excellent move for us. I'm not ready to give up on him yet
6 nov. 2023 à 15 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 6 nov. 2023 à 15 h 21
Getting 2 legit top 4 defenseman with retention would cost us so much. I'd rather just get 1 defensive guy and then ride with our current group

I'm still convinced that utilizing Klingberg like how Minnesota did would be an excellent move for us. I'm not ready to give up on him yet

Zadorov is third pair rn in CGY or arguably in general. I would not trust him in 2nd pair as hes to slow for that and hes not better than McCabe.

Tanev's the top 4 guy in the trade. But still for Zadorov thats fine as having a 3rd pair 6'6 net front smasher would be nice to give Gio rest but also give us the net front we could really use rn.

Also even Friedman be doing it

https://twitter.com/josephdzita/status/1721547011499995143

Like I feel if you played your cards right the whole thing would cost the same or less than what ROR + Acciari went for as no need for triple ret nor a 2nd

Probs a 1st + 3rd + 4th + a B level prospect should get it done (reduces cost as instead of 2 C level guys send 1 B).

And if Tree gets both extended (which he should be able to do as he convinced both to come and extend before) I think its fine

As imagine

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Tanev
Zadorov-Liligren

Just call us the Flaming Leafs lul

Rielly-Brodie reliable
McCabe-Tanev- shutdown boyz
Zadorov-Liligren - good third pair with a mix of both puck moving and physicality

Woll and Sammy will thank them greatly as no more Klingberg. Feel bad for Gio but good depth is never an issue and him being rested should benefit him greatly

Than next season sign Roy or Demelo to play with Rielly

Rielly-Demelo/Roy
McCabe-Tanev
Zadorov-Liligren
6 nov. 2023 à 15 h 33
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
I keep reminding myself to try and be patient with this squad...but man it is tough.

On one hand...Tre has only been on the job 6mths. I think we can mostly agree that a lot of clubs would have gladly signed Domi and Bertuzzi to those 1yr deals. We were all pretty excided for those signings.

But Reaves and Klingberg with heavily questioned immediately after being announced. WIth Reaves, the argument was that he'd help the locker room, add toughness...and if you needed to send him down, he'd likely clear waivers and not be a meaningful impact on the cap....but that proved to be wrong when we really needed that $100-200k to keep Lafferty. Not that I think this is a large problem...but it was an avoidable one.

Obviously Klingberg was a problem when signed and a problem now....and will probably be a problem when we try and trade him and he blocks 10 teams. I got a similar feeling when they signed Marleau...immediately I feared that the final year was going to be problematic given his cap number and the fact we have Mitch and Matthews to sign. With Klingberg...I just didn't get it. Didn't get the contract or how quickly they signed him. It's hard for me to believe there was a ton of action coming in on him that the Leafs had to compete with. He's been on a steady decline for a few seasons now.

Now...my biggest issue....I assumed we would be a slightly worse regular season team given the changes this offseason....but we were sold on the idea that we'd be tough to play against and that would, hopefully...yield better playoff results....and while that remains to be seen....I just can't understand the apathy and lack of aggression this team plays with. That's a 'will' thing...not a 'skill' thing...and should be controllable every night....and we just haven't seen it outside of maybe the first game or two. I dunno what the fix is. Coaching? Leadership? Do we just have a country-club atmosphere that creates entitlement? Why do tough, gritty players come to Toronto and stop playing tough and gritty?
6 nov. 2023 à 15 h 49
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
I keep reminding myself to try and be patient with this squad...but man it is tough.

On one hand...Tre has only been on the job 6mths. I think we can mostly agree that a lot of clubs would have gladly signed Domi and Bertuzzi to those 1yr deals. We were all pretty excided for those signings.

But Reaves and Klingberg with heavily questioned immediately after being announced. WIth Reaves, the argument was that he'd help the locker room, add toughness...and if you needed to send him down, he'd likely clear waivers and not be a meaningful impact on the cap....but that proved to be wrong when we really needed that $100-200k to keep Lafferty. Not that I think this is a large problem...but it was an avoidable one.

Obviously Klingberg was a problem when signed and a problem now....and will probably be a problem when we try and trade him and he blocks 10 teams. I got a similar feeling when they signed Marleau...immediately I feared that the final year was going to be problematic given his cap number and the fact we have Mitch and Matthews to sign. With Klingberg...I just didn't get it. Didn't get the contract or how quickly they signed him. It's hard for me to believe there was a ton of action coming in on him that the Leafs had to compete with. He's been on a steady decline for a few seasons now.

Now...my biggest issue....I assumed we would be a slightly worse regular season team given the changes this offseason....but we were sold on the idea that we'd be tough to play against and that would, hopefully...yield better playoff results....and while that remains to be seen....I just can't understand the apathy and lack of aggression this team plays with. That's a 'will' thing...not a 'skill' thing...and should be controllable every night....and we just haven't seen it outside of maybe the first game or two. I dunno what the fix is. Coaching? Leadership? Do we just have a country-club atmosphere that creates entitlement? Why do tough, gritty players come to Toronto and stop playing tough and gritty?

To me Reaves is easy. Rotate him in and out like Macdermid for Avs

They have the same relation to him as we have to Reaves. They even be saying it use him every game you get the same headaches. Put him against a team with a fighter (MTL, MIN, etc) and there yah go. Either through signing someone like Pulijarvi, Bailey, or a call up get someone in to rotate.

Still could be to early but rn Klingberg is just bad. Hes somehow got worse here than he was in ANA next to Benoit especially defensively. In Buffalo his effort screamed benching but with all the injuries they cant lul

When they get healthy his time might be ticking. Cause man he looked like someone who could be coming with a chip on his shoulder, something to prove, what he has proved so far ANA season was not a fluke. Maybe he turns it around but rn hes looking worse than Barrie was here who I would much rather have rn as at least that guy once Keefe came did stuff

If CGY decides to fold and get stuff for Tanev + Zadorov make the move ship him off and bring those 2 in. Its doable. Take the risk the Dcore and Goalies will thank
6 nov. 2023 à 18 h 31
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
To me Reaves is easy. Rotate him in and out like Macdermid for Avs

They have the same relation to him as we have to Reaves. They even be saying it use him every game you get the same headaches. Put him against a team with a fighter (MTL, MIN, etc) and there yah go. Either through signing someone like Pulijarvi, Bailey, or a call up get someone in to rotate.

Still could be to early but rn Klingberg is just bad. Hes somehow got worse here than he was in ANA next to Benoit especially defensively. In Buffalo his effort screamed benching but with all the injuries they cant lul

When they get healthy his time might be ticking. Cause man he looked like someone who could be coming with a chip on his shoulder, something to prove, what he has proved so far ANA season was not a fluke. Maybe he turns it around but rn hes looking worse than Barrie was here who I would much rather have rn as at least that guy once Keefe came did stuff

If CGY decides to fold and get stuff for Tanev + Zadorov make the move ship him off and bring those 2 in. Its doable. Take the risk the Dcore and Goalies will thank

I just don't see how rotating Reaves in and out is going to make the kind of impact we need. My issue was more the cap hit and term they gave a guy of his age and skill set. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time...and still isn't...but we had to move a player out as a result which is impacting the bottom 6 and the PK. Poor cap management for a spare part.

At this point we would have been way better off signing nobody vs having Klingberg and just having the cap space available to make a move on guys like Tanev and Zadorov...although my understanding of the cap is that they would have needed to spend as close to the cap as possible in order to maximize the benefit of Murray and Muzzin going to LTIR.

Either way...it was a mismanagement of cap space on questionable assets. Dumba can't be worse than Klingberg and he was sitting around for a while before resorting to Zona
6 nov. 2023 à 18 h 51
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
I just don't see how rotating Reaves in and out is going to make the kind of impact we need. My issue was more the cap hit and term they gave a guy of his age and skill set. Didn't seem like a big deal at the time...and still isn't...but we had to move a player out as a result which is impacting the bottom 6 and the PK. Poor cap management for a spare part.

At this point we would have been way better off signing nobody vs having Klingberg and just having the cap space available to make a move on guys like Tanev and Zadorov...although my understanding of the cap is that they would have needed to spend as close to the cap as possible in order to maximize the benefit of Murray and Muzzin going to LTIR.

Either way...it was a mismanagement of cap space on questionable assets. Dumba can't be worse than Klingberg and he was sitting around for a while before resorting to Zona

You put him in for teams who have fighters who can bully. We saw it in MTL and Minnesota with Foligno and Xhekaj. You dont want things getting carried away as we saw when hes going he gets in teams heads. Thats where he works

When you put him against Rats nothing will happen, and when you put him against teams with nobody like that its where hes not needed

We see this with the Avs and MacDermid and its worked out nicely. Against skilled teams with no tough guy hes out. When the teams got a 4th line bully hes in. Thats how Avs fans have accepted him

Rather than be in every night rotating based on matchups is where guys like this thrive. That way team against Skilled guys dont feel like they just playing 11 forwards.
6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 22
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Vesa Toskala. Petr Mrazek. Ilya Samsonov. All the best Leafs goalies where number 35
Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 23
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 29
The one issue with the JT line 0 defense and when you combine that with Klingberg easy entry for TBL as that goal was pretty bad

But also Sammy should have had that and same with goal 1

TBL seems to have his number

Which is why Im surprised they didnt have Sammy take on Buffalo and Woll vs TBL

But yea dont match JT with Point pls lul
6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 26
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,760
Quoting: Random2152
It's time to fold the Hawks.

Fold them, have a dispersal draft (Bedsy would go 1st overall to SJ), expand to Salt Lake City.

This franchise is not worth saving

Unbelievable
My God.
6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Samsonov sucks so much right now. Plain and simple
6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Another to many men penalty that leads to this nonsense this team is not disciplined or organized.

Still gotta pull Sammy, TBL has his number

PK also not great but still Sammy got to have that
6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 36
Sadness
Mentions "j'aime": 979
I know it's a great shot but sammy gotta have at least one of the 3
6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 37
Hakuna Matata
Leafs’ .852 save percentage at home is probs a no surprise as they be taking the playoffs into the reg

They were good on the road **** at home.
6 nov. 2023 à 19 h 38
Sadness
Mentions "j'aime": 979
I'm honestly worried rn

I don't know if keefe has a job if they lose tonight

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage