SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Playoff Discussion Thread #3: On the Edge of Immortality

Where's Lord Stanley spending the summer?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

10 juin 2023 à 23 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,118
Modifié 10 juin 2023 à 23 h 12
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Vegas now 1 game away, Panthers about to do something stupid by rushing Vegas players when the game was over

Mhm well guess they got to put on a show before the end comes

But hey they should be happy they at least didnt get swept

VGK just to good

Anyways game 5 and the cup is upon us as FLA are 0-8 in T-Mobile Arena

Tkachuck aint 100% nor is Duclair FLA in trouble
11 juin 2023 à 0 h 31
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 326
I was at the game tonight. I asked a cop on my way out if what he saw at the end of the game was the worst thing ever… he said no, he saw worse when Boston and their fans came to town. No joke.
11 juin 2023 à 10 h 22
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 487
If Eichel gets Conn Smythe fine.

But Mark Stone is my pick.

Targeted physically directly after having had surgery, didn’t respond like a jackass, instead put up points and 2 way play. Often looked in pain on the bench and truly played through it.

Point per game, involved in a number of close score goals throughout playoffs.

The captain of the winning team.

I don’t think Eichel’s resume is close at all. I don’t think you can find 3 bullet points stronger than those for Stone. But Eichel and Petro are also playing great so if they win good for them.
Steven_Stamkos a aimé ceci.
11 juin 2023 à 11 h 7
SHL NJD GM
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,415
Quoting: CantStopWontStop

Targeted physically directly after having had surgery, didn’t respond like a jackass, instead put up points and 2 way play. Often looked in pain on the bench and truly played through it.

I don’t think Eichel’s resume is close at all. I don’t think you can find 3 bullet points stronger than those for Stone. But Eichel and Petro are also playing great so if they win good for them.

I’d actually give it to Marchessault, he’s been on another level these playoffs, especially during the finals so far, he might not have the name value but he’s my pick
Steven_Stamkos, justaBoss, Saskleaf and 4 others a aimé ceci.
11 juin 2023 à 11 h 20
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,471
My conn smythe picks

Vegas
1. Jonathan Marchessault
2. Mark Stone
3. Jack Eichel

Florida
1. Sergei Bobrovsky
2. Matthew Tkachuk
3. Aleksander Barkov
Steven_Stamkos, Saskleaf, Rolfadinho and 2 others a aimé ceci.
11 juin 2023 à 11 h 29
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 870
Quoting: CantStopWontStop

In my opinion there are only forwards who are eligible to hoist it this year. Prior to the series, Florida had a couple players who could have shot of the ranks and had a chance at it. Tkachuk is their only option as of now. But since Florida is almost finished, Tkachuk would need to put up several more points and Florida would have to make these next 3 games really tough. It's not that I don't think they couldn't come back from 3-1 again, it just doesn't happen in the finals and Vegas is too seasoned to let this slip. But I don't think Chuker will get it.

Vegas has 5 player I think you could make an argument for. Marchessault, Eichel, Stone, Stephenson, Karlsson.

I'll get Karlsson out of the way first cause he won't win it, but you can't gloss over the fact that he has been outstanding defensively and has 11 goals these playoffs.

Stephenson doesn't have the credibility to win it, if he was way ahead in scoring it would be a different case. He has been outstanding defensively and has 10 goals and 19 points.

Stone, Eichel and Marchessault are in a three way race I think.

Stone is the captain and for all the reasons you mentioned, he's has a fair chance at it.

Eichel hasn't been flashy but he has posted excellent numbers and been great in his own end.

Marchessault is my pick personally. While he hasn't been as noticeable in his own end as the other 4 guys I have listed, his numbers are insane. He only has one more point than Jack, but he has shown TF out when the lights are on. 12 goals in 12 games or whatever it is. Basically scored in every game when the games are the hardest they are all year (conference finals and finals).

Stone is a good storyline cause of captaincy. Eichel because of his first playoffs. Marchessault because of his somewhat "underdog" story and his loyalty/tenure with the franchise.

I think Marchessault's clutch goals are too much to deny. But who knows, we could have 3 games left.
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
11 juin 2023 à 11 h 30
What in tarnation
To me it's absolutely insane to consider that for these cup finalist teams, they had to pay a grand total of one 4th round pick and one 5th round pick for all of Jonathan Marchessault, Carter Verhaeghe, Chandler Stephenson and Reilly Smith.

VGK paid a 4th round pick to get Reilly Smith's 5x5 contract as well as an opportunity to take Marchessault from Florida in the expansion draft.

Carter Verhaeghe was a free signing after TB did not submit a qualifying offer for him.

VGK traded a 5th round pick to WSH for Chandler Stephenson.
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
11 juin 2023 à 11 h 32
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 870
Quoting: justaBoss
To me it's absolutely insane to consider that for these cup finalist teams, they had to pay a grand total of one 4th round pick and one 5th round pick for all of Jonathan Marchessault, Carter Verhaeghe, Chandler Stephenson and Reilly Smith.

VGK paid a 4th round pick to get Reilly Smith's 5x5 contract as well as an opportunity to take Marchessault from Florida in the expansion draft.

Carter Verhaeghe was a free signing after TB did not submit a qualifying offer for him.

VGK traded a 5th round pick to WSH for Chandler Stephenson.

I still wince knowing the Tampa had Marchessault and Verhaeghe first and we let them walk
justaBoss a aimé ceci.
11 juin 2023 à 12 h 28
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,930
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
I still wince knowing the Tampa had Marchessault and Verhaeghe first and we let them walk

2 cups makes the pain easier to deal with. Sticking Out Tongue
Steven_Stamkos, justaBoss, Saskleaf and 3 others a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 35
I make typos
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
Tkachuk must be dealing with something incredibly serous for him to miss this game
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 40
I make typos
not enough people taking about how Vegas is 10 mil over the cap
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 44
Hakuna Matata
Stone u didnt have to do FLA like that wow
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 45
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: oilersguy
not enough people taking about how Vegas is 10 mil over the cap

They aren’t 10mil over the cap though, Lehner is hurt, Patrick is hurt, so is Broissoit, that’s 8.5-ish of legitimate LTIR they’d have currently
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 45
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
They aren’t 10mil over the cap though, Lehner is hurt, Patrick is hurt, so is Broissoit, that’s 8.5-isJ of legitimate LTIR they’d have currently

Yep. Now if they kept Weber u could have went well but they got rid of him for some Mayo

Like its not as bad as it would have been last year
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 50
SHL NJD GM
That seems like a good goal to me
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 51
Hakuna Matata
Vegas is just built so well like when u dont got a clear Conn Smythe winner u know u built different

Bruce Cassidy was the final piece after all and man FU to Boston almost complete lul

And u wouldnt think that with some of the moves they have made
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 55
What in tarnation
This Florida team playing in the finals should not be a playoff team. That defense is absolute trash. There's only one good D-man in there - Montour. Forsling is mid, Ekblad is stupid (very low hockey IQ), Gudas is slow, Mahura is fringe NHL-er and Staal should've retired 5 years ago.

Just goes to show how much momentum matters. They got huge amount of momentum after Boston choked royally, and that momentum was able to carry them over Toronto and Carolina without losing but a one game.

That 10 day break killed the momentum though, and now they're back to the team that made it to the playoffs by dumb luck after Pens lost to freaking Blackhawks.
A_Habs_fan et BigBallsBriere a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2023 à 20 h 57
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,574
friendly reminder for @oilersguy that evan bouchard STILL leads all defensemen in playoff points
oilersguy, Saskleaf et Tintin a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2023 à 21 h 3
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,704
Tip for Zito on how to save US$7.5MIL & shed 215 lbs?
Send Ekblad packing!
He's been brutal all series long...
13 juin 2023 à 21 h 7
I make typos
Quoting: zk97
friendly reminder for oilersguy that evan bouchard STILL leads all defensemen in playoff points

very cool fact, can't wait to see what he does next season. crazy to think that there were people worried the Oilers PP would regress without Barrie
13 juin 2023 à 21 h 8
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 juin 2023 à 21 h 16
This Florida team playing in the finals should not be a playoff team. That defense is absolute trash. There's only one good D-man in there - Montour. Forsling is mid, Ekblad is stupid (very low hockey IQ), Gudas is slow, Mahura is fringe NHL-er and Staal should've retired 5 years ago.

Just goes to show how much momentum matters. They got huge amount of momentum after Boston choked royally, and that momentum was able to carry them over Toronto and Carolina without losing but a one game.

That 10 day break killed the momentum though, and now they're back to the team that made it to the playoffs by dumb luck after Pens lost to freaking Blackhawks.

FLA were the latest Cinderella run. Everything went right but then the big bad super team came and slapped them away

It was Tampa twice now we got a new guy on the block

VGK is scary and yet when u look at what they have done u got to ask yourself sometimes WHY

As they went with the 0 loyalty spend big at every chance approach and its worked

Like the team turnover they have went through and the names they have dumped is insanity

Tuch, MAF, Pacioretty, Dadonov, Schmidt, and spent (3 big first rounders draft picks Suzuki, Glass, Brannstrom)

Eichel, Pietrangelo, Lehner (till hurt), Barbashev, etc

Now yeah you could argue some luck and stuff (FLA being dumb and giving them March and Smith) but the 0 loyalty approach may be a formula a lot of teams go for in the future as its almost a copy cat league these days
13 juin 2023 à 21 h 16
What in tarnation
Quoting: aadoyle
They were the latest Cinderella run. Everything went right but then the big bad super team came and slapped them away

It was Tampa twice now we got a new guy on the block

VGK is scary and yet when u look at what they have done u got to ask yourself how

As they went with the 0 loyalty spend big at every chance and its worked

Like the team turnover they have went through and the names they have dumped is insanity

Tuch, MAF, Pacioretty, Dadonov, Schmidt, Suzuki, Brannstrom, and Glass out (3 big first rounders)

Eichel, Pietrangelo, Lehner (till hurt), etc

Now yeah you could argue some luck and stuff but the 0 loyalty approach may be a formula a lot of teams go for

Instead of making it 8 paragraph long, you could wrap it up by saying that Vegas and McCrimmon has had balls to make tough decisions. Whether it's big ass trading, big ass signings, shrewd cap gymnastics, coaching changes and choosing which guys are the ones to trust to in the long run - he has had the balls to do all of these, and pull the trigger in the scenarios where the more conservative guy would've hesitated to do so.

Kudos to Vegas. They've done great job, evidently shown by the cup they get to lift in two hours time.
13 juin 2023 à 21 h 19
Hakuna Matata
Instead of making it 8 paragraph long, you could wrap it up by saying that Vegas and McCrimmon has had balls to make tough decisions. Whether it's big ass trading, big ass signings, shrewd cap gymnastics, coaching changes and choosing which guys are the ones to trust to in the long run - he has had the balls to do all of these, and pull the trigger in the scenarios where the more conservative guy would've hesitated to do so.

Kudos to Vegas. They've done great job, evidently shown by the cup they get to lift in two hours time.

I was gonna make a gambling joke in my summary but was afraid Kane would raise the hand
justaBoss a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2023 à 21 h 22
What in tarnation
Lmao as soon as I roasted Ekblad
McGruff a aimé ceci.
13 juin 2023 à 21 h 24
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 326
Quoting: McGruff
Tip for Zito on how to save US$7.5MIL & shed 215 lbs?
Send Ekblad packing!
He's been brutal all series long...

He’s got a NMC this upcoming season… more likely to be moved next offseason when it becomes a modified NTC.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage