Forums/Armchair-GM

The cynics guide to building the habs

Créé par: jonh514
Équipe: 2023-24 Canadiens de Montréal
Date de création initiale: 9 mai 2023
Publié: 9 mai 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
*The Sick Podcast with Tony Marinaro was awesome last night if you get a chance the episode is worth a listen. What was discussed is largely what inspired this post.

So we finally know we are nor getting a Connor of our very own. At least we didn't fall in the draft, and at least he went to a franchise that is going to be awful in spite of having him. We're gonna get a really great forward at #5 regardless and I think it will be Will Smith provided Hughes actually wants him. He is repped by Quartexx (Hughes' old firm), and Hughes coached him. Basically Hughes has inside information on the player, so if he does or does not draft him, it will be one of the "best informed" picks by a GM of all time.

I was surprised to hear all these amateur scouts talking about the Habs prospect pool, which I see as rather deep. Would it surprise you to hear that Simon "Snake" Boisvert made disparaging remarks about the following players:

Kidney - Career AHL'er in his opinion
Roy - Too slow for the top 6, not well rounded enough for the bottom 6
Mailloux - Tweener or maybe 3rd pair defensemen
Struble - Tweener or AHL defensemen
Farrell - Does not like him, would package him in a trade if he could
Hutson - Says the only way he will be successful is if he turns into Quinn Hughes and he will need to vastly improve his skating to get there. He would trade him now while his perceived value is high
Mesar - Says he is disappointed with the season, but he would hold him for 1 more year to see if he can turn it around
Beck - Says he is a 3rd line Center in the NHL, but if you expect a top 6 Center you will be disappointed

It's been a while since I've heard anyone so down on the Habs prospect pool. It kind of shocked me into realizing 2 things:

1) I really overvalue these players
2) You need to pick the players to gamble on, and trade the ones you are not 100% sure on for "sure things" even if you end up being wrong every now and then

Of the 8 Snake commented on, if I had to pick 4 to "Gamble" on, it would be Hutson, Beck, Mailloux, and Mesar in that order.

That means that Kidney, Roy, Struble, Farrell are all expendable to me, IF AND ONLY IF I can get sure thing players at organizational holes back.

It would be foolish to expect all 8 of these guys to live up to their potential, and some of the ones mentioned hold quite a lot of value in the eyes of other teams.

Case in point: last night I put forward the idea of trading Roy for the 20th OA pick in 2023 and was told by fans of all teams that his value was higher and that I was making a mistake. Perfect then, let me make my mistakes and let everyone profit from my stupidity!
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
37 000 000 $
32 000 000 $
Transactions
MTL
  1. Pelletier, Jakob
Détails additionnels:
Player who has put in his time in the AHL and has put up decent numbers in his "cup of coffee" with the flames. Gars de chez nous as well which helps since I'm trading Roy in another deal
CGY
  1. Farrell, Sean
Détails additionnels:
Top 3 scorer in the NCAA, long time linemate of Coronato, considered by most to have top 6 potential
MTL
  1. Kakko, Kaapo
Détails additionnels:
Habs get a young winger who has not lived up to expectations thus far, but who is primed to take a Dach-like step in the right environment ( the same can be said for Kakko or Laf)

This deal provides cap-relief to take another run, but keeping Kakko, Laf, & Miller is going to be tough going forward and Roy and Kidney will both be NHL-ready in 1-2 years on entry-level deals when the Rags might really be in tough with the cap
NYR
  1. Kidney, Riley
  2. Roy, Joshua
  3. Choix de 2e ronde en 2023 (MTL)
Détails additionnels:
Roy had an amazing world Juniors this year and has spent the year working on his 2-way game. Was exceptional in the QMJHL playoffs as well until his team got eliminated in the semi-final
Kidney is a center with 2 consecutive 100+ point seasons in the QMJHL this year he successfully worked hard on attacking the middle of the ice and took on additional defensive responsibility

*Would do the same deal for Lafreniere if the Rags prefer
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de MTL
Logo de FLA
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de PIT
Logo de VGK
Logo de MTL
Logo de CGY
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de COL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de SJS
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de EDM
Logo de MTL
Logo de CGY
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2283 500 000 $65 829 166 $1 170 000 $4 195 000 $17 670 834 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
7 000 000 $7 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 8
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
C
UFA - 7
Logo de Rangers de New York
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD
RFA - 1
Logo de Flames de Calgary
863 333 $863 333 $
AG
RFA - 1
3 362 500 $3 362 500 $
C, AD
RFA - 3
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
950 000 $950 000 $ (Bonis de performance3 500 000 $$4M)
AD, AG
RFA - 2
4 450 000 $4 450 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
1 700 000 $1 700 000 $
C
UFA - 2
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 875 000 $4 875 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance275 000 $$275K)
DD
RFA - 1
1 925 000 $1 925 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance420 000 $$420K)
DG/DD
RFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
G
UFA - 1
828 333 $828 333 $
DG/DD
RFA - 1
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DG/DD
RFA - 2
875 000 $875 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
766 667 $766 667 $
DD
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
10 500 000 $10 500 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 3

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
9 mai 2023 à 8 h 48
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 19,683
Flames will be keeping Pelletier but thanks anyways
jonh514, OldNYIfan et KingofRnR a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 8 h 49
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Rejoint: déc. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 3,064
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Flames will be keeping Pelletier but thanks anyways

I hear you buddy!
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 8 h 51
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,811
I really don't know anything about the Habs prospect pool. But I do know there the world of difference between prospects, players playing in the AHL. junior. NCAA, Europe versus TRUE NHL PROSPECTS.
Not saying Tony Marinano is right or wrong, but fans should be more objective of their evaluation of their non NHL prospects. When they were drafted or their stats in other leagues don't mean that much. It's only NHL performance that has any significance to the NHL team.
But good luck to all young men who wish to play in the NHL.
jonh514, Ross_Johnston, OldNYIfan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 8 h 54
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: palhal
I really don't know anything about the Habs prospect pool. But I do know there the world of difference between prospects, players playing in the AHL. junior. NCAA, Europe versus TRUE NHL PROSPECTS.
Not saying Tony Marinano is right or wrong, but fans should be more objective of their evaluation of their non NHL prospects. When they were drafted or their stats in other leagues don't mean that much. It's only NHL performance that has any significance to the NHL team.

For what it's worth Tony never comments on prospects potential, but brings in amateur and pro scouting experts. Last night he had 3 in a row and they each went through their top 10 for the 2023 draft. Show is usually an hour but it was 2:45. Really blew me away.

Everyone was raving about Michkov and how he would have gone first in every draft except the McDavid & Bedard years.
palhal et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 3
Quoting: jonh514
I hear you buddy!

It's more of a respectful decline. Farrell has good potential but Huberdeau and Pelts have become very close, plus they don't need Farrell for Coronato to succeed. I also think Pelts is still the better prospect but we'll see on that
jonh514, OldNYIfan, soooonk and 2 others a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 5
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
It's more of a respectful decline. Farrell has good potential but Huberdeau and Pelts have become very close, plus they don't need Farrell for Coronato to succeed. I also think Pelts is still the better prospect but we'll see on that

That's how I read it as well. I think Farrell is higher risk, higher reward. He could turn into the next Johnny Hockey and I'll look like a fool.
OldNYIfan et Dr_Invictus a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 5
No longer a Virgin
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,607
Quoting: palhal

this is really well said IMO. good points all around
jonh514 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 6
No longer a Virgin
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,607
great post by the author. enjoyed reading the description and the explanation of the trades. However, I wouldn't give up both kidney and roy for kakko. one or the other plus the second imo
jonh514, OldNYIfan et KingofRnR a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 9
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 21
The only way the Rangers trade Lafreniere or Kakko is if the offer blows them away and they get a piece that costs equal/less against the cap and can provide an immediate impact in the NHL. You can disagree if you don't think they are worth it, but the Rangers aren't trading cheap players that can give them middle 6 production at absolute worst.
jonh514 et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 10
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: stephane_robidas
great post by the author. enjoyed reading the description and the explanation of the trades. However, I wouldn't give up both kidney and roy for kakko. one or the other plus the second imo

Thank you for your interest and kind words.

I know it's a lot, but the theme here is "overpay in potential" for a "sure thing" today.
Ross_Johnston et OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 16
That's how I read it as well. I think Farrell is higher risk, higher reward. He could turn into the next Johnny Hockey and I'll look like a fool.

That's pretty unlikely, Johnny was a 2.0 ppg player as a junior in the NCAA. His production is more in line with like Jimmy Vesey or JT Compher
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 26
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
That's pretty unlikely, Johnny was a 2.0 ppg player as a junior in the NCAA. His production is more in line with like Jimmy Vesey or JT Compher

You are forgetting that Gaudreau played 3 years in Hockey East, Farrell only played 2. Their stats in their 2nd years are very comparable (Farrell even has the edge).

I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but the stats are interesting.
Ross_Johnston et soooonk a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 9 h 33
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: BreadmanGetsPaid
The only way the Rangers trade Lafreniere or Kakko is if the offer blows them away and they get a piece that costs equal/less against the cap and can provide an immediate impact in the NHL. You can disagree if you don't think they are worth it, but the Rangers aren't trading cheap players that can give them middle 6 production at absolute worst.

We'll, this deal certainly does not do that, but I would make the argument that a team like the Rangers can and should try to resign Tarasenko. I know the playoffs did not go as planned, but he's a beast and he would probably take a discount to stay in NY.

So now the deal is Tarasenko, Roy, Kidney & a 2nd for Kakko. Do you do it?
9 mai 2023 à 11 h 11
Dr_Invictus
Mentions "j'aime": 878

It's a hard trade to evaluate because Pelletier has already proven he is NHL capable. We'd be taking an unnecessary risk unless the upside of Coronato and Farrell paid off huge (which is small IMO)
9 mai 2023 à 11 h 14
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,451
Drury just hangs up on you and blocks your number.
9 mai 2023 à 11 h 48
Quoting: Dr_Invictus
It's a hard trade to evaluate because Pelletier has already proven he is NHL capable. We'd be taking an unnecessary risk unless the upside of Coronato and Farrell paid off huge (which is small IMO)

A lot of people put way too much stock in minor league synergy. For example we saw last year that Toffoli and Monahan were merely average together despite their connection
Dr_Invictus, jonh514 et KingofRnR a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 11 h 52
Dr_Invictus
A lot of people put way too much stock in minor league synergy. For example we saw last year that Toffoli and Monahan were merely average together despite their connection

Agreed. What works in NCAA doesn't mean it will work in the NHL. Even, in the NHL chemistry ebbs and flows over a season.
9 mai 2023 à 12 h 2
Quoting: Dr_Invictus
Agreed. What works in NCAA doesn't mean it will work in the NHL. Even, in the NHL chemistry ebbs and flows over a season.

I think it's more, just because it worked in the NCAA doesn't mean it can't work even better with other players. For example, Coronato was considered the best forward on team USA at last summers WJC. Farrell being over 20 at the time means he wasn't on that team so it probably implies he can find success with anyone
Dr_Invictus a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 12 h 17
Dr_Invictus
I think it's more, just because it worked in the NCAA doesn't mean it can't work even better with other players. For example, Coronato was considered the best forward on team USA at last summers WJC. Farrell being over 20 at the time means he wasn't on that team so it probably implies he can find success with anyone

Good point
9 mai 2023 à 13 h 19
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,176
W prospect evaluations
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 14 h 34
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Onlyfairtrades1
Drury just hangs up on you and blocks your number.

LOL - was waiting for that one!
Onlyfairtrades1 a aimé ceci.
9 mai 2023 à 17 h 25
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: dgibb10
W prospect evaluations

I thought they were notable for sure. Super cynical. He's definitely a strange bird that Snake.
10 mai 2023 à 16 h 31
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,176
I thought they were notable for sure. Super cynical. He's definitely a strange bird that Snake.

He's a little low on them, but most will underperform habs fans expectations. I expect 2-4 to be legit valuable pieces while the rest are fringe roster guys and depth pieces. Habs fans are taking the ceiling of each of their prospects and treating it like that's what they are certainly going to become
jonh514 a aimé ceci.
10 mai 2023 à 16 h 34
Démarrer sujet
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: dgibb10
He's a little low on them, but most will underperform habs fans expectations. I expect 2-4 to be legit valuable pieces while the rest are fringe roster guys and depth pieces. Habs fans are taking the ceiling of each of their prospects and treating it like that's what they are certainly going to become

Agreed. Hence this post. Let someone else make that mistake!

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage