SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #7: Descending Into Madness

27 déc. 2022 à 19 h 50
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,232
Quoting: Juiceman
I am liking what I am seeing from Elias Pettersson (D). Hopefully he can turn into a Gustav Forsling type player, and we don't trade him for an career AHLer

I don’t care exactly how good he is, as long as we can have two Elias Pettersons on the same team. I so badly want to see an Elias Petterson goal assisted by Elias Petterson.
Juiceman et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
27 déc. 2022 à 19 h 52
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Quoting: Saskleaf
I don’t care exactly how good he is, as long as we can have two Elias Pettersons on the same team. I so badly want to see an Elias Petterson goal assisted by Elias Petterson.

If he was in the NHL right now, we could have an OT lineup of Elias Pettersson, Elias Pettersson, Lane Pederson.
Saskleaf et BigBallsBriere a aimé ceci.
27 déc. 2022 à 21 h 1
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,105
Just give him the Norris now

27 déc. 2022 à 21 h 7
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,070
Meme goal of the year

27 déc. 2022 à 21 h 27
Hakuna Matata
A word to sum up Leafs vs. Blues

CHAOS
27 déc. 2022 à 21 h 53
Mentions "j'aime": 3,044
I don’t understand why the senators can’t just be a normal hockey team
27 déc. 2022 à 22 h 29
Hakuna Matata
That missed call on Saad high sticking ZAR was a bruh moment

Should have got a 4min PP
27 déc. 2022 à 22 h 39
Hakuna Matata

F's in chat for Tarasenko and also holy ****
27 déc. 2022 à 22 h 59
Hakuna Matata

Insert Palpatine meme below
27 déc. 2022 à 23 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Bo Horvat may become the most expensive TDL rental we have seen in a long time
Juiceman a aimé ceci.
27 déc. 2022 à 23 h 11
Ex Nucks fan
Quinn Hughes goal? Impossible...
27 déc. 2022 à 23 h 22
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,296
Quoting: aadoyle
Bo Horvat may become the most expensive TDL rental we have seen in a long time

Could become a thing where it's a sign and trade for Vancouver to get anywhere near the value they'd want.
aadoyle, LIRIK et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
27 déc. 2022 à 23 h 23
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Could become a thing where it's a sign and trade for Vancouver to get anywhere near the value they'd want.

Honestly I could see that and honestly there is a team who I could see pull the trigger

Carolina
BuFfaLOFaN et capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
28 déc. 2022 à 0 h 9
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: Db1899
Just give him the Norris now

Rasmus Dahlin would like to talk to you.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
28 déc. 2022 à 0 h 28
Ex Nucks fan
Bo Horvat back to back 2 goal, 4 point games

50 goals in his last 82 games 👀
28 déc. 2022 à 10 h 19
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,454
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if EDM should explore the idea of trading Draisaitl the next offseason...

The guy is unquestionably a Top5 forward in the league. He's got 2,5 years left on his contract. Just listening his comments and whatnot, he doesn't exactly scream happiness or satisfaction with the situation EDM has found themselves. It begs the question + would Drai even agree to re-sign there...

EDM as a team is simply way too reliant on the production of the two headed monster that is McDavid and Draisaitl, and they made little to no progress in that regard. Yes I know Holland is very conservative when it comes to trading and whatnot, and it's never a good idea to trade your best pieces as you're 99% sure to lose out in the end. Holland might be happy that the two headed monster is able to carry them consistently in the playoffs, but ultimately they're achieving little to nothing beside that. But is the two headed monster satisfied with that? Or, does one of them seem rather "pissy?"

Frankly, if EDM doesn't achieve anything this year, or god forbid fail to make the playoffs, I think they need to commit to some seriously drastic measures in 2023 Offseason. This recipe just doesn't seem to work, and the worst possible scenario would be losing Drai to free agency in 2025, and McDavid in 2026. Imo they need to do something to convince at least one of the two staying, cuz I don't see this current approach being that. Time is ticking, and sh*t is potentially hitting the fan big time.

Drai at two years left could bring in such a haul, I don't think we've seen an equivalent of one during the cap era. As said in the beginning, he is a Top5, if not a Top3 forward league wide. EDM is in a luxury state of owning two of the top forwards around, so it naturally begs the question of whether they can afford to lose one of them.

This same question was asked with Penguins when Crosby and Malkin was in their prime. They opted to keep the two and get a decent enough support cast for them to operate, which eventually brought them two cups (and one way earlier than that).

EDM however does not have that - they're seriously lacking their versions of Letang, Kessel and Murray/Fleury, as well as their own version of HBK line. Individually speaking guys like Kane, Hyman and RNH provide a great supporting cast and are no doubt a Top6 players individually, but they are not gamechangers. Their statistical prowess and impact is, to no surprise of anyone, inflated by the many times mentioned two headed monster.

And that doesn't even begin to touch the grey area that is their defense and goaltending, which right now consists of probably the most overpaid player in the league, the Maple Leafs misfits, couple of bottom-pair guys getting top4 money and two promising guys in Bouchard and Skinner. That lineup doesn't scream contender to me, unless the games are strictly based on a competition of who can score more goals against optional defense. But that's simply not playoff hockey in its usual sense, although Kings and especially Flames did just that, much to their demise.

How long Oilers can sustain this? Can this way of playing keep Draisaitl or McDavid satisfied, to the point they're willing to commit their whole careers there, potentially not winning anything at all?

Apologies for creating such a rambling and long post.
zk97, Tintin, aadoyle and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
28 déc. 2022 à 10 h 59
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,482
Quoting: justaBoss
Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if EDM should explore the idea of trading Draisaitl the next offseason...

The guy is unquestionably a Top5 forward in the league. He's got 2,5 years left on his contract. Just listening his comments and whatnot, he doesn't exactly scream happiness or satisfaction with the situation EDM has found themselves. It begs the question + would Drai even agree to re-sign there...

EDM as a team is simply way too reliant on the production of the two headed monster that is McDavid and Draisaitl, and they made little to no progress in that regard. Yes I know Holland is very conservative when it comes to trading and whatnot, and it's never a good idea to trade your best pieces as you're 99% sure to lose out in the end. Holland might be happy that the two headed monster is able to carry them consistently in the playoffs, but ultimately they're achieving little to nothing beside that. But is the two headed monster satisfied with that? Or, does one of them seem rather "pissy?"

Frankly, if EDM doesn't achieve anything this year, or god forbid fail to make the playoffs, I think they need to commit to some seriously drastic measures in 2023 Offseason. This recipe just doesn't seem to work, and the worst possible scenario would be losing Drai to free agency in 2025, and McDavid in 2026. Imo they need to do something to convince at least one of the two staying, cuz I don't see this current approach being that. Time is ticking, and sh*t is potentially hitting the fan big time.

Drai at two years left could bring in such a haul, I don't think we've seen an equivalent of one during the cap era. As said in the beginning, he is a Top5, if not a Top3 forward league wide. EDM is in a luxury state of owning two of the top forwards around, so it naturally begs the question of whether they can afford to lose one of them.

This same question was asked with Penguins when Crosby and Malkin was in their prime. They opted to keep the two and get a decent enough support cast for them to operate, which eventually brought them two cups (and one way earlier than that).

EDM however does not have that - they're seriously lacking their versions of Letang, Kessel and Murray/Fleury, as well as their own version of HBK line. Individually speaking guys like Kane, Hyman and RNH provide a great supporting cast and are no doubt a Top6 players individually, but they are not gamechangers. Their statistical prowess and impact is, to no surprise of anyone, inflated by the many times mentioned two headed monster.

And that doesn't even begin to touch the grey area that is their defense and goaltending, which right now consists of probably the most overpaid player in the league, the Maple Leafs misfits, couple of bottom-pair guys getting top4 money and two promising guys in Bouchard and Skinner. That lineup doesn't scream contender to me, unless the games are strictly based on a competition of who can score more goals against optional defense. But that's simply not playoff hockey in its usual sense, although Kings and especially Flames did just that, much to their demise.

How long Oilers can sustain this? Can this way of playing keep Draisaitl or McDavid satisfied, to the point they're willing to commit their whole careers there, potentially not winning anything at all?

So the answer is make make McDavid even more angry at Edmonton? That’s like trading Malkin out of Pittsburgh you do it then it would make Crosby pissed
28 déc. 2022 à 11 h 6
What in tarnation
Quoting: IconicHawk
So the answer is make make McDavid even more angry at Edmonton? That’s like trading Malkin out of Pittsburgh you do it then it would make Crosby pissed

To be frank, I don't exactly suggest any answer, nor know what they should do. But currently what they're doing does not look good either.
28 déc. 2022 à 11 h 39
Defenseman XGAR leaders

<a href=Screen-Shot-2022-12-28-at-11-36-07-AM">
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
28 déc. 2022 à 12 h 24

justaBoss et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
28 déc. 2022 à 12 h 37
What in tarnation

He's the worst.

He even has such a punchable face.

I hope DAL buys him out next offseason. Luckily he's not considered as your regular 35+ contract, so the buyout is cheap.
28 déc. 2022 à 13 h 16
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: justaBoss

I feel Holland might trade him on the final year if they cant work out an extension. And there will be teams who can make him the 1C and it will be interesting to see how he looks away from McDavid
28 déc. 2022 à 13 h 37
What in tarnation
Quoting: aadoyle
I feel Holland might trade him on the final year if they cant work out an extension. And there will be teams who can make him the 1C and it will be interesting to see how he looks away from McDavid

Thing is, moving him as a rental is not the most ideal option. They won't receive the massive haul they would otherwise.
zk97 a aimé ceci.
28 déc. 2022 à 13 h 39
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,168
Defenseman XGAR leaders

Screen-Shot-2022-12-28-at-11-36-07-AM">

Erik Gus has been on fire
Db1899 a aimé ceci.
28 déc. 2022 à 14 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 28 déc. 2022 à 14 h 8

Notice somethings wrong with the potential lineup

I think Trotz gonna get his wish this summer to.
capsfan2121 et zk97 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage