SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

9 août 2022 à 17 h 35
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,462
Quoting: Tintin
AN SHL CLUB OFFERING A MULTI YEAR MULTI MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(the SHL is so poor it's actually kinda pathetic)

Nothing compared to Liiga.

Our top paid players earn around 200-300k a year, if that.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 35
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,852
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
I think the 21/31 points prior argument could just be the fact he was 18-19, and Pettersson turned 20 in his rookies season like 10 games in. Hughes turned 20 before last season. Completely agree though.

Right now i take hughes if i had to pick. If hughes is injured again next year he isn't getting picked.

Agreed but that still effects his value.
Maybe he shouldn’t have played or maybe he was rushed?
That is the huge knock on the rushed Kakko which reduces his value in some eyes; so Hughes should still get criticism for that even if it’s not his fault. Many 18-19 yo can play in the NHL in past, present, and future.
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 36
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 970
Quoting: Tintin
True. Only so much revenue to be generated from a country with 10m ppl.
Little incentive for owners to drastically increase spending in such a context, unlike how the KHL developed between 2005 - 2020.

If there were 3-4 teams from Sweden inside a larger professional "European League" then you could see bigger budgets and financial support but right now the SHL is diluted across 14 teams; not to mention another 14 teams in Allsvenskan that promote/relegate.

That's the equivalent of the WHL trying to compete with NHL level salaries
9 août 2022 à 17 h 38
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Lets just remember the fact that Elias Pettersson is 23 which is considered the PRIME years of an NHL players career, he will be 24 next season. Jack hughes is 21 and will be all next season. NO ONE expects pettersson to be better than Hughes next season. Problem solved.

Elias Pettersson in his rookies season was 20 for most of it. Lets take Jack Hughes 20 year old season and compare only those 2 seasons cause that is all we can do for comparables sake.

Jack Hughes only played 49 games.
Pettersson played 71.
Jack Hughes scored 26 goals
Pettersson scored 28
Jack Hughes got 30 assists
Pettersson had 38.

Hughes numbers are not far off at all and he played 22 less games. Now add in the fact that Hughes is considered an Effective Top 6 Offensive Minded player, and Pettersson during his 20 year old season was considred a Average Sheltered Forward according to Dobbersports. I am taking Hughes, tell me Pettersson is 3 years older and I am taking hughes and your gonna pay if you want to flip those 2 players. If hughes doesn't stop getting injured though....

Albeit.

I probably would take this offer if I was the Devils, but realistically the Canucks aren't going to do this and the Devils would never have to make a choice between a Cost Controlled #1 Center or that package.

Probably take that offer? At worst, Pettersson and Hughes are equals. The Canucks also add Podkolzin, Hoglander, and two first round picks and you actually have to think about it? Pettersson is a franchise center which is worth probably 4 first round picks to acquire. Hughes probably similar. Now Podkolzin, Hoglander, two first round picks and a second is equivalent to 4 first round picks. Basically around 8 first round picks in value for Jack Hughes. Shouldn’t even have to think about it if the Canucks include ELIAS PETTERSSON
9 août 2022 à 17 h 39
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Devil
Well if you use context and similar situations, then it would be a problem. You can't go out there and compare Hughes' rookie season to Bunting's rookie season. Its unfair given that Bunting has more experience, better linemates, more ice time, etc. Same thing with Pettersson's rookie year vs Hughes.

Best way to compare them is look at their stats as 20 year olds

Pettersson had ONE extra year of development in the SHL. Bunting is 26, Petterssons was 19-20. That’s a hyperbolic comparison if I’ve seen one.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 40
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,437
Quoting: yikes
To add; if you value health. You have to reduce Hughes value. Yes his analytics and eye test both show superstar in the making but Elias isn’t lost and chasing that. He’s right there in superstar ability. Additionally Elias has been “healthier” and produced more.

Sure Elias ain’t perfect but ladies… Hughes did have 21 and 31 points prior. Yeah sure use the injury argument but then you also have to allow Elias the same argument plus the Boudreau factor.

I would say we need to see both players play this season. But a one for one involves both teams declining. And if one team DID offer a trade. It’s too uncertain. Would the Nucks try and trade Elias before his arb rights and potential payday for a cost controlled Hughes? Would the Devils trade for the healthier and potentially better player?

Hughes has played 166/207 possible games which is little over 80%
Petterson has played 245/302 possible games which is little over 81%
9 août 2022 à 17 h 41
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Juiceman
Pettersson had ONE extra year of development in the SHL. Bunting is 26, Petterssons was 19-20. That’s a hyperbolic comparison if I’ve seen one.

Referring to "What am I supposed to do to compare them then? Not my fault they aren’t the same age. Guess we can’t compare any player in the league unless they are the same age because “well this player was drafted in this year and their rookie year was in a different year than that player”
9 août 2022 à 17 h 41
What in tarnation
Probably take that offer? At worst, Pettersson and Hughes are equals. The Canucks also add Podkolzin, Hoglander, and two first round picks and you actually have to think about it? Pettersson is a franchise center which is worth probably 4 first round picks to acquire. Hughes probably similar. Now Podkolzin, Hoglander, two first round picks and a second is equivalent to 4 first round picks. Basically around 8 first round picks in value for Jack Hughes. Shouldn’t even have to think about it if the Canucks include ELIAS PETTERSSON

At worst, Hughes blows up to become a Top5 center in the league alongside McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and Draisaitl. Pettersson ain't going there, but Hughes last year was filing a really strong case for himself.

I can't fault NJ fans for being extremely high on him as he's the young player that's upgraded on a yearly basis despite injuries, meanwhile Pettersson has regressed from his production at his second year. That's the key difference between the two.
Devil, Tintin et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 41
do not Devil my ass
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,268
Quoting: HockeyScotty
If there were 3-4 teams from Sweden inside a larger professional "European League" then you could see bigger budgets and financial support but right now the SHL is diluted across 14 teams; not to mention another 14 teams in Allsvenskan that promote/relegate.

That's the equivalent of the WHL trying to compete with NHL level salaries

Thing is we've actually got an international club competition in Europe already called the CHL.
Interest in it is very limited however, most hockey fans (me included) just don't care one bit about it.
As for SHL salaries, they are on average comparable to current AHL salaries.

I
Quoting: justaBoss
Nothing compared to Liiga.

Our top paid players earn around 200-300k a year, if that.

If we're talking dollars I don't think there's any contract in the SHL with an annual value above 500k.
1m was just a maximum MONSTER value I threw out there, but not very realistic however.
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 43
Ex Nucks fan

Both had one significant injury. Pettersson despite injured and underperforming, still produced at a very good level. Hughes had one good stint. I’m sure he will be a superstar soon enough but if we call somebody a superstar based on less than 50 games now, I honestly don’t knoe
9 août 2022 à 17 h 43
Ex Nucks fan
Referring to "What am I supposed to do to compare them then? Not my fault they aren’t the same age. Guess we can’t compare any player in the league unless they are the same age because “well this player was drafted in this year and their rookie year was in a different year than that player”

Right but you’re saying comparing Pettersson to Hughes is the same as comparing Bunting to Hughes. I don’t quite see how that makes sense. You saying that a 20 year old rookie is the same as a 26 year old rookie or am I missing something
9 août 2022 à 17 h 46
Speak of the Devil
Both had one significant injury. Pettersson despite injured and underperforming, still produced at a very good level. Hughes had one good stint. I’m sure he will be a superstar soon enough but if we call somebody a superstar based on less than 50 games now, I honestly don’t knoe

Hughes despite injured and underperforming after his injury, still produced at a very good level.

It goes both ways
9 août 2022 à 17 h 46
Ex Nucks fan
At worst, Hughes blows up to become a Top5 center in the league alongside McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and Draisaitl. Pettersson ain't going there, but Hughes last year was filing a really strong case for himself.

I can't fault NJ fans for being extremely high on him as he's the young player that's upgraded on a yearly basis despite injuries, meanwhile Pettersson has regressed from his production at his second year. That's the key difference between the two.

Do you mean at best? At worst he’s top 5 center in the league? I mean every team wishes their center was at worst top 5 I guess. I’m not sure why y’all are so down on Pettersson for. He had 49 points in 40 games in the second half of this season when he finally recovered from his injury. That’s a 100 point pace…
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 46
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK

Pettersson has had more complete/ “fuller” seasons.

At worst, Hughes blows up to become a Top5 center in the league alongside McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and Draisaitl. Pettersson ain't going there,

I think this is the problem with a lot of this argument.
Hughes could be a top 5C but Pettersson can’t?

Recency bias is strong here.
I mean Pettersson literally had equal to if not more hype then Hughes and fell offer but both players can be top 10 C’s. I think it’s extremely bold to say Hughes or Pettersson can be top 5C’s today. But to say one can and the other can is very one sided imo.

Again.. look at Pettersson quarters on Dobber fantasy.
Career .90 points per game and went form 10 + 12 -> to 21 + 25. Hughes highest scoring quarter is 23.
Juiceman a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 46
Ex Nucks fan
Hughes despite injured and underperforming after his injury, still produced at a very good level.

It goes both ways

For one season.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 47
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,237
I’ll offer my take on the whole Petterson-Hughes debate since this thread is now a Petterson-Hughes discussion thread lol.

Petterson is better right now, fairly easily. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think Hughes is overrated. He’s a great centre with huge potential. I could see a world where he’s a top 5 centre in the league one days, but I can also see a world where he’s a low end 1c. At the moment he’s got to prove that his elite 40 game sample size wasn’t a fluke before we jump to call him better than Elias Petterson.

In terms of trade value, Hughes might have slightly higher trade value honestly due to contract term and potential, but they are very close in that way.
yikes et Juiceman a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 47
What in tarnation
Do you mean at best? At worst he’s top 5 center in the league? I mean every team wishes their center was at worst top 5 I guess. I’m not sure why y’all are so down on Pettersson for. He had 49 points in 40 games in the second half of this season when he finally recovered from his injury. That’s a 100 point pace…

I meant the worst scenario for NJ.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 48
Ex Nucks fan

I mean Pettersson literally had equal to if not more hype then Hughes and fell offer but both players can be top 10 C’s. I think it’s extremely bold to say Hughes or Pettersson can be top 5C’s today. But to say one can and the other can is very one sided imo:

Personally, I don’t think either will be too 5 centers. McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Matthews aren’t going anywhere. If everything goes as expected, Bedard will be there. Both I think will be top 10, but saying one can be top 5 in the league is quite an overestimation of their potential
9 août 2022 à 17 h 49
Speak of the Devil

I mean Pettersson literally had equal to if not more hype then Hughes and fell offer but both players can be top 10 C’s. I think it’s extremely bold to say Hughes or Pettersson can be top 5C’s today. But to say one can and the other can is very one sided imo.

Again.. look at Pettersson quarters on Dobber fantasy.

Hughes "fuller" season: 2/3
Pettersson "fuller" season: 3/4

Pretty close if you ask me
9 août 2022 à 17 h 50
Speak of the Devil
For one season.

Why you keep mentioning "one season"? You don't think Hughes can repeat those numbers? What else are we supposed to base it on? Diversity your argument
NHLfan10506 a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 50
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,517
Hughes is not close to Elias in GP nor points per game (Elias has him blown out of the water if we’re using points per game).

Points-per-game
Hughes: 1.14
Pettersson: 0.85

Hughes as many points in per game basis as Pettersson and Hoglander combined. And Hughes is two-and-a-half years younger than Pettersson.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 52
Rejoint: mai 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 18,517
Jack Hughes drafted 51st overall
Elias Pettersson drafted 80th overall

Once again, it’s Hughes
9 août 2022 à 17 h 53
do not Devil my ass
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,268
Modifié 9 août 2022 à 18 h 3
For one season.

But that's not really the case with Hughes, it seems you're misinformed here.

He wasn't really doing anything too different in 21-22 compared to 20-21.
Transition game was top tier both seasons.
Shot generation at a very high level both seasons.
Chance creation top tier both seasons (playing with two rookies in Sharangovich and Kuokkanen for 20-21 mind you).

The main difference between the two seasons is that Hughes developed a previously unseen lethality in front of the net.
Dude's an absolute killer and will likely be good for 35+ goal pace throughout his twenties.

Basically:
"once jack hughes learns how to finish it’s over for everyone"
- Dom Luszczyszyn, 2021-01-16

Well, he learnt how to finish alright.
Devil a aimé ceci.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 54
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Hughes "fuller" season: 2/3
Pettersson "fuller" season: 3/4

Pretty close if you ask me

I’m going by games played Hughes highest games played is 61.

Pettersson blows that away with 80, or we can go 68 + 17 playoff games for 85. That’s a noticeable difference instead of using percentages. Pettersson has over a point per game playoffs to pair with that if you wanna value that.
9 août 2022 à 17 h 54
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
@Juiceman @Devil

If you guys are going back and forth making the exact same post only swapping out the name of Hughes/Pettersson depending on which team you’re a fan of, maybe it’s time to give it a break. Leave ACGM trolls to argue about the bs obviously lopsided trades in ACGM and agree that Hughes/Pettersson both have elite upside, but are unproven (Petey due to regression, Hughes due to less pro experience) and injury prone.
csick, zk97, Saskleaf and 3 others a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage