SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread #28 - Oilers are a Wagon

13 avr. 2022 à 11 h 40
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,405
Quoting: Db1899
Good thread

He had a previous one too about NHLers in general and money, pretty good threads yeah
Db1899, MatthewsFan, SevenLeg and 6 others a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 11 h 43
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,503
Good thread

That was a good read. Casual fans severely overrestimate how much NHL players make. There was an article published on The Athletic in the summer about Joonas Donskoi ($3.9M average salary) and how he was fincancially worried about moving to Seattle.
EsoYeezus69, csick, A_Habs_fan and 3 others a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 11 h 47
v5 Minnesota GM
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,684
Quoting: oilersguy
Cossa or Askarov

Askaeov 100%
oilersguy, csick et zk97 a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 11 h 48
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
Quoting: SevenLeg
Who wins the Calder in 2022-23? My early guess is Matthew Beniers.

If he comes over, Simon Edvinsson
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 11 h 50
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: MatthewsFan
If he comes over, Simon Edvinsson

I don't think so tbh. Doubt he puts up Calder-worthy points totals right away and that's generally how votes are awarded for defensemen
csick, zk97, Saskleaf and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 11 h 50
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,932

I'm gonna go off the board and say Marco Rossi
SevenLeg, csick, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 8
Ovchinnikov 137
I don't think so tbh. Doubt he puts up Calder-worthy points totals right away and that's generally how votes are awarded for defensemen

Shooters shoot. It's just a guess but Edvinsoon has made himself more valuable by being able to create scoring chances in the form of high danger, well placed shots creating rebounds, and excellent vision with passes that setup scoring chances. Not to mention he is a very good job in the defensive zone. I can't wait to see this guy in NA.

FPm0QLAWUAICVL2?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Pretty good numbers for an 18 year old playing against men
SevenLeg et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 23
I make typos
Mentions "j'aime": 4,991
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Shooters shoot. It's just a guess but Edvinsoon has made himself more valuable by being able to create scoring chances in the form of high danger, well placed shots creating rebounds, and excellent vision with passes that setup scoring chances. Not to mention he is a very good job in the defensive zone. I can't wait to see this guy in NA.

FPm0QLAWUAICVL2?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Pretty good numbers for an 18 year old playing against men

I find it funny that Joel Persson is in this chart, Oilers legend lol

and also look it is Max Veronneau the guy that is sometimes in Kasimir Kaskisuo's videos, lol
zk97 a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 28
Ovchinnikov 137
I find it funny that Joel Persson is in this chart, Oilers legend lol

and also look it is Max Veronneau the guy that is sometimes in Kasimir Kaskisuo's videos, lol

If the NHL doesn’t call your name anymore, playing in the this type of atmosphere would still be awesome. Wish NA fans adopted this type of fandom.

oilersguy et Remus a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 30
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,197
Good thread

That was a good read. Casual fans severely overrestimate how much NHL players make. There was an article published on The Athletic in the summer about Joonas Donskoi ($3.9M average salary) and how he was fincancially worried about moving to Seattle.

That's still more income than any of us will have if we work our entire lives.

Pronger is trying to garner sympathy for NHL players after retirement but I'm definitely in a camp where NHL players are the least deserving of post-career bankruptcy. Especially now. Most NHL players are coming from at worst, middle class families. These kids, even though they're not going to college and probably stop learning in the middle of high school because stickpuck is more important, still have better financial resources than most of us will.

NHL contracts are protected, too. That 30 million dollar contract is being paid out regardless if you're on the ice or not. Wonder if Pronger will ever mention that he made nearly 20 million dollars (by his calculations that's about a 8.6 million dollar income) without actually playing.

Sorry but I'm not moved by NHL players having to pay taxes and having housing and transportation expenses. I have those too.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 31
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Either him or Power.
Yeah, I definitely think Power and Eklund are dark horses. Unless there's a super random rookie in his mid-20s like Jeannot and Bunting.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Riley Tufte for Calder!!!
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Joe Snively Calder run inbound awesome face (assuming he comes back with his goal scoring abilities intact)
Dylan Holloway and Philip Broberg are gonna be next years Seider and Raymond, jk lol
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I think Kent Johnson could be a good Calder candidate, CBJ's forward core looks so good
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Someone to watch for as well as Johnson in my opinion is Marco Rossi. If he gets a longer look next year in Minnesota, I think he could come out of nowhere given the right linemates.
Jack Quinn

I think the Sabres are going to have 2 or 3 players competing for it. I think Power and Quinn, but I could see UPL (think hes eligible), and Peterka could also have impacts. No one could be sure but I wouldn't be suprised to watch Power and Quinn put up a similar season to Seider and Raymond. If power gets number 2 power play time or gets to play with Dahlin id say its not 2 far fetched. Quinn was amazing when he debuted this year and he is WAY to good to be playing in the AHL right now. If he plays next to Cozens and Krebs he could be dominant.
zk97, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 34
Mentions "j'aime": 17,405
Quoting: mondo

Pronger is trying to garner sympathy for NHL players after retirement but I'm definitely in a camp where NHL players are the least deserving of post-career bankruptcy. Especially now. Most NHL players are coming from at worst, middle class families. These kids, even though they're not going to college and probably stop learning in the middle of high school because stickpuck is more important, still have better financial resources than most of us will.

NHL contracts are protected, too. That 30 million dollar contract is being paid out regardless if you're on the ice or not. Wonder if Pronger will ever mention that he made nearly 20 million dollars (by his calculations that's about a 8.6 million dollar income) without actually playing.

Sorry but I'm not moved by NHL players having to pay taxes and having housing and transportation expenses. I have those too.

NHL players are definitely paid much more than normal people and they probably shouldn't but they also have a lot more expenses they have to do to keep their job. You also have to consider most guys that have an NHL contracts and that are at something like 750k AAV are probably only keeping a tiny portion of that making them a lot closer ( but still higher ) than a normal person's wage
zk97 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 35
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: justaBoss
A question

On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely is it that MTL drafts Jack Hughes with that CGY pick?

For argument's sake let's assume that the pick is in the region of 24-28.

Very unlikely.
Hughes stated that he won't do it, and me personally, I wouldn't try a gm - player father - gm thing.
It's too risky
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 40
torontos finest
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
NHL players are definitely paid much more than normal people and they probably shouldn't but they also have a lot more expenses they have to do to keep their job. You also have to consider most guys that have an NHL contracts and that are at something like 750k AAV are probably only keeping a tiny portion of that making them a lot closer ( but still higher ) than a normal person's wage

The expenses that NHL players have to do their job aren't massive; nearly every team will have resources on hand for the guys who aren't making enough to have personal nutritionists and trainers. If you're making enough to have extra staff on end, you're making enough to sustain yourself after your career.

Also, maybe Pronger should've brought up the minimum salary guys instead of going for a guy making 6 million? AHL players making 50k a year are more prone to needing a second career after they hang up their skates but I guess these guys don't register for Pronger's luxury vacation brand so they can be ignored.
A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf, DucharmetheDOMinator and 2 others a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 41
Hop on the Slaftrain

We all know they live comfortable lives that's not the point lol. It's just important that casual individuals realize that they're not just lazy multimillionaire babies.

How much do you think they have spent, in money, effort and time, to be play the sport at this level? Families and players have made sacrifices to get there, what if his career is cut short after one season just because there are Zac Rinaldos in the NHL.

Even if they do their best, they have very little control on their future and that's what Pronger is highlighting. He's not telling us to feel bad because my local team's star pay taxes and only brings home 3 million dollars.
A_Habs_fan, MatthewsFan, Db1899 and 4 others a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 48
torontos finest
We all know they live comfortable lives that's not the point lol. It's just important that casual individuals realize that they're not just lazy multimillionaire babies.

How much do you think they have spent, in money, effort and time, to be play the sport at this level? Families and players have made sacrifices to get there, what if his career is cut short after one season just because there are Zac Rinaldos in the NHL.

Even if they do their best, they have very little control on their future and that's what Pronger is highlighting. He's not telling us to feel bad because my local team's star pay taxes and only brings home 3 million dollars.

I think if he wanted to highlight that he would've brought it up using a player making closer to the league minimum. Those guys are the ones more subject to turmoil after their careers end instead of someone on a multi million dollar deal.
capsfan2121, Saskleaf et zk97 a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 12 h 58
Ovchinnikov 137

I think this was actually a pretty cool social experiment with this post. Some are taking it very negatively and others are like, he is just making a point of where all of their money goes (and could be helpful for future players on how to mange it).

I can see it from both point of views.
Db1899, Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan and 2 others a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 13 h 0
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225

I'd go Eklund, then Beniers, then Kent Johnson.
SevenLeg a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 13 h 4
Hop on the Slaftrain
I think if he wanted to highlight that he would've brought it up using a player making closer to the league minimum. Those guys are the ones more subject to turmoil after their careers end instead of someone on a multi million dollar deal.

People can actually expect that those league-minimum players may have rocky roads post-NHL, partly because some make poor financial decisions or lack financial advice for such short careers. I just fail to see how Chris Pronger tried to garner sympathy, he simply raised awareness on a topic that is never really discussed because the general consensus is that pro athletes live in a golden world and never have to worry about money. Awareness has never killed anyone.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 13 h 10
v5 Minnesota GM
Like imagine this:

Kent Hughes: Hey, Jack, you're contract is up. You've been playing really well for us

Jack Hughes: Oh yeah, thanks. So, will you give me the contract I want?

KH: Welllll, what do you want

JH: 5.5m × 5

KH: That's a bit too much, on the one hand you're not worth 5m..

JH: You don't wanna give it to me?

KH: Right, you need to be supported, and 950k won't do it. (Yeah sure says all the fans)

JH: So you can sign me?

KH: Well, we need that money to sign auston matthews

JH: Wait, lemme get this straight . You want to sign that showoff a**hole for 13mil bucks, but you won't give your flesh and blood what he wants?

KH: OK, you have me here. Fine I'll do it. 5 × 5.5mil?

JH: Yeah, thanks dad, I appreciate it.

*Next thing Kent Hughes hears after it's announced on Twitter, is the whole MTL fanbase trying to fire him , and the next text he gets is Geoff.Molson firing him *

KH: Oh Jack! This is all your fault! Now Mr. Molson has fired me because I showed bias to my own son and giving 5 mil, instead of giving Auston Freaking Matthews 13mil bucks.

Geoff Molson: Sorry, Kent, we have to part ways, Austin only wanted to come to MTL, and instead you choose to waste that cap on your son.

And the Habs are now stuck with 5.5m Jack Hughes

Mission Accomplished says Jack Hughes.

@justaboss
Saskleaf et zk97 a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 13 h 15
v5 Minnesota GM

Harris.
JK.
Wallstedt
13 avr. 2022 à 13 h 15
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225

MatthewsFan, zk97 et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 13 h 17
I make typos

lol
13 avr. 2022 à 13 h 19
I make typos
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188

what does he need immigration paperwork for he is going from a American College team to American NHL team?
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 avr. 2022 à 13 h 21
Hop on the Slaftrain
what does he need immigration paperwork for he is going from a American College team to American NHL team?

I think he needs it because he's a Canadian resident and will now be an American worker, not just a student.
Saskleaf, DucharmetheDOMinator, oilersguy and 3 others a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage