SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread #28 - Oilers are a Wagon

12 avr. 2022 à 15 h 41
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,398
Quoting: justaBoss
I've been thinking about this calder thing and should Bunting be a legit contender for it. His age will obviously direct some people away from choosing the guy and for a good reason, he's had a major advantage in that regard compared to those who he's competing against.

But if we instead of checking that age we'd determine a rookie player by contract? Something like only rookies on ELC are eligible for the trophy?

That would drop the age/experience issue to an extent, because players on ELCs run usually very close to each other age-wise. Naturally entry-level slides would probably have an impact on this, but regardless.

ELC slides wouldn't change much, that can only happen at 18 or 19 if you signed a contract, then, you can have a 3 year ELC until 21, 2 year ELC until 23, 1 year ELC at 24 and at 25 you're an FA and can't get an ELC, would pretty much make the oldest eligible guys 24 turning on 25
12 avr. 2022 à 15 h 43
v5 Minnesota GM
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 4,684
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
This play is a good example-can you see Bunting doing this? I'm skeptical. Bunting's definitely good, don't get me wrong, but IMO, Hyman generates more individually.

The difference I have though, is that, is do I rather have a 5.5m Hyman, or a 950k Bunting? IMO the separation between Hyman and Bunting isn't 4.5m, therefore, I give the edge to bunting, even though Hyman is the better player
Saskleaf et zk97 a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 15 h 48
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: csick
Atlantic division:

Dahlin
Power

Seider
Edvinsson

Chabot
Sanderson

Hedman
Sergachev

McAvoy
Carlo/Lidnholm

Ekblad
Weegar

Guhle - Nemec (hopefully)
Romanov - Mailloux (Hopefully
Norlinder - Barron

Harris, Struble, Xhehaj, Trudeau,
Habs are STACKED
12 avr. 2022 à 15 h 50
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: capsfan2121
If he didn’t do the thing he did where was his draft position

I never was high on him tbh.
Around where he was picked if not a couple picks higher (Carolina woulda probably taken him)
I see him as a 2nd round talent tho
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 15 h 53
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
In total, 3 players making their league debuts tonight: Bobby Brink (PHI), Owen Power (BUF), Matty Beniers (SEA).
Saskleaf, MatthewsFan, DucharmetheDOMinator and 4 others a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 15 h 54
cautious optimism
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,753
Looking ahead, next year's FA class is drool-inducing.
Gaudreau
Forsberg
Kadri
Letang
Bergeron
Malkin
Giroux
Rust
Kuemper
Fleury
Campbell
Vanecek
Husso
Klingberg
Perron
Trocheck
Strome
Copp
Chiarot
Jarnkrok
Palat
Niederreiter
Reilly Smith
Domi
Rakell
Mikheyev
Nick Paul
Burakovsky
Vatrano
Nichushkin
Janmark
Ian Cole
Giordano, and I'm leaving out a few.

WOW.

So many big names, and no truly good goalies. Campbell and Husso are gonna be re-signed, i'm scared MAF is gonna retire, and that leaves Darcy Kuemper as the biggest name goalie.

for those of you in goalie trouble, you're not gonna find a solution here, nor in the draft (goalie class is supposedly weak af).
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 0
v5 Minnesota GM
Is Victor Soderstrom a bust? Connor Timmins I’ve already given up on

No, still has 2nd pair potential imo
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 1
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Who from this year?

McGroarty, Nazar, and Casey from the USNTDP have committed there iirc (only Nazar will maybe go top 10, but those guys all have a shot to go in the first round, which is still super good). Also Fantilli, but I'm not sure if he's joining next year or if he would only go there for his DY+1 if he somehow doesn't immediately get an NHL contract.
Don’t think it makes sense for Arizona. Just fill holes right now

I think the draw for Arizona is they get a guaranteed 1C, which they won't get at 4oa, and aren't guaranteed down the line, even if they finish last (lottery luck may not fall their way, or if BPA is Michkov then they lack any sort of high end, or even mid-tier honestly, centre moving on to 2024). They also replace Guenther (very good prospect) with 1-2 just good prospects, which helps their depth, and also gives them more freedom to trade their 2nds to move up, while also filling their pipeline with older guys that are further along in their development, which is important so you don't have a full team of rookies, and their current older prospects are mediocre at best outside Guenther/Soderstrom.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 2
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,019
Modifié 12 avr. 2022 à 17 h 31
This play is a good example-can you see Bunting doing this? I'm skeptical. Bunting's definitely good, don't get me wrong, but IMO, Hyman generates more individually.

Dont have the video but I remember against NJ Bunting grabbed the puck out of the air and got a nice goal while it wasnt end to end it was close. The game against St Louis Matthews won a draw hit Binnies pads and Bunting perfectly tipped it in. Then there was the time when he was in Arizona against Vegas he made a very similar play to the one demonstrated.

The game though where he shoed off something big was when he set up a marner goal with a marner trick. Like nobody has ever perfectly copied a marner move but Matthews lul.

Only advantage I give to Hyman PK defense, but for Bunting man this guy has made up for that in so many other ways. For one he brings in that getting under your skin attitude which has been good for us in drawing penalties, hes also a solid bumper guy on the PP and is learning some playmaking from marner. Also his tip ins man when you least expect it he can get a goal from no where

And hes only making 950k
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 2
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: Devil
Tryout? That’s interesting

Cause they don't wanna burn 1 year of his ELC
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 4
Farewell
Quoting: Bobcat205
So many big names, and no truly good goalies. Campbell and Husso are gonna be re-signed, i'm scared MAF is gonna retire, and that leaves Darcy Kuemper as the biggest name goalie.

for those of you in goalie trouble, you're not gonna find a solution here, nor in the draft (goalie class is supposedly weak af).

You're right. Kuemper's not a good goalie. He's a TERRIFIC goalie, and still doesn't get enough appreciation for what he does.

I've been saying this since he was in Arizona, where he posted a 2.37 GAA and a .920 SV% over 111 total games from 2018-2021. It was a terrific move by Sakic to get him (he's absolutely worth a 1st+Timmins), and the season he's having right now isn't just because of the terrific blue-line he plays with, did you see the Edmonton-Avs game on Saturday night? That was quite possibly the greatest single game by a goalie this season, he was making OUTRAGEOUS saves, stopping 49 of 50 (the goal was a beautiful re-direct by Foegele, no chance) 11 for 11 in OT with the Oilers on the PP, and all 3 in the shootout.

He is, at worst, one of the 7 best goalies in the league. Any team that gets him will have taken care of themselves in net. Sakic should do everything he can to keep him.
Alfie11 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 5
v5 Minnesota GM
Holy I know all those players. Another stacked team lmao. I think Fantilli will be a one and done and go 3rd overall next year

Nah he's going above michkov.
Matevi has a contract in the khl till 2025-26
csick a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Bobcat205

Calling it now Fleury is going back to Pittsburgh for a final cup run. He and Jarry are gonna do some damage I can see it now

I disagree with Husso. I think hes going to FA. As I doubt St. Louis wants to spend 11mill on goaltending

I feel Kuemper and Husso will be the big fish this FA

One name in the trade market who could be big...Gibson
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 6
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
In total, 3 players making their league debuts tonight: Bobby Brink (PHI), Owen Power (BUF), Matty Beniers (SEA).

Nathan Smith and Jack McBain too. Looking forward to seeing how Jack plays
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, Saskleaf, csick and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 8
v5 Minnesota GM
Tomorrow's Kraken-Jets game postponed due to inclement weather heading toward the Manitoba area, will be played as the final game of the regular season on Sunday May 1 (playoffs begin May 2).

Good thing both teams won't be in playoffs (but if Winnipeg goes on a run, they have a chance
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 9
Farewell
Quoting: aadoyle
Calling it now Fleury is going back to Pittsburgh for a final cup run

I disagree with Husso. I think hes going to FA. As I doubt St. Louis wants to spend 11mill on goaltending

I feel Kuemper and Husso will be the big fish this FA and Campbell will extend in Toronto

One name in the trade market who could be big...Gibson

Gibson's overrated. He was very good early on in his career, but has tailed off since, and this season he's been getting shellacked down the stretch.
FNcJ3kyWYAUVge2.jpg:large
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 11
Hakuna Matata
Gibson's overrated. He was very good early on in his career, but has tailed off since, and this season he's been getting shellacked down the stretch.
FNcJ3kyWYAUVge2.jpg:large

My only counter is what if Gibson was on a good defensive team. Ducks are rebuilding and really are not a great defensive team and Gibson is being left out to dry.

Like lets be real Ducks defense since 2019... Terrible

If Gibson was for say with Toronto, Carolina, Boston, Washington etc. Probs would be in the Vezina conversation
DucharmetheDOMinator, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 13
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: hanson493
still not giving bunting the award over guys like seider/zegras/swayman/raymond anyways.

Caufield too
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 14
Farewell
Quoting: aadoyle
My only counter is what if Gibson was on a good defensive team

Like lets be real Ducks defense since 2019... Terrible

If Gibson was for say with Toronto, Carolina, Boston, etc. Probs would be in the Vezina conversation

Got to disagree. If Gibson was in Toronto, he'd just be another Mrazek. He's worse than both Ullmark and Swayman. Carolina might shelter him a bit, but he still would be a significant downgrade from what they have now.

I saw people saying the Avs should've traded for him over Kuemper last off-season, and blew my stack. Kuemper was terrific with one of the worst defenses in the league (see 5 posts above). Gibson is just not that good.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 18
v5 Minnesota GM
You're right. Kuemper's not a good goalie. He's a TERRIFIC goalie, and still doesn't get enough appreciation for what he does.

I've been saying this since he was in Arizona, where he posted a 2.37 GAA and a .920 SV% over 111 total games from 2018-2021. It was a terrific move by Sakic to get him (he's absolutely worth a 1st+Timmins), and the season he's having right now isn't just because of the terrific blue-line he plays with, did you see the Edmonton-Avs game on Saturday night? That was quite possibly the greatest single game by a goalie this season, he was making OUTRAGEOUS saves, stopping 49 of 50 (the goal was a beautiful re-direct by Foegele, no chance) 11 for 11 in OT with the Oilers on the PP, and all 3 in the shootout.

He is, at worst, one of the 7 best goalies in the league. Any team that gets him will have taken care of themselves in net. Sakic should do everything he can to keep him.

The only problem is, he's super injury prone
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 23
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
The only problem is, he's super injury prone

To be fair, pretty much every established starting goalie that has been around for a few seasons except Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck are injury prone lol
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
12 avr. 2022 à 16 h 24
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: Alfie11
To be fair, pretty much every established starting goalie that has been around for a few seasons except Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck are injury prone lol

Yes, but kiemper is more than most tendies
12 avr. 2022 à 17 h 16
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,289

Without arguing the point one way or another because I love both players and don't really care who's benefitting more from their linemates, I think that's kind of a bad example. The play is nothing all that special. Stone whiffs on his pass to the streaking dman due to a stick check and another Oiler pokes it ahead to Hyman who's got a 125ft breakaway. There's some back pressure, sure, but yes, I can absolutely see Bunting (or any mid-level player, really) doing that.
12 avr. 2022 à 17 h 33
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Without arguing the point one way or another because I love both players and don't really care who's benefitting more from their linemates, I think that's kind of a bad example. The play is nothing all that special. Stone whiffs on his pass to the streaking dman due to a stick check and another Oiler pokes it ahead to Hyman who's got a 125ft breakaway. There's some back pressure, sure, but yes, I can absolutely see Bunting (or any mid-level player, really) doing that.

Technically Bunting did do that when he was in Arizona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-WbbmyQ5o
12 avr. 2022 à 18 h 26
Farewell
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

What stood out to me is how Hyman has Stone draped all over him, making it near impossible to keep control of the puck, but he does and roofs a backhander over Lehner's right shoulder. Can't see many players doing that. (There was another play, at 5:16 of this video, where Hyman kept control of it on the PK for about 30 seconds with 3 or 4 Sharks all trying to get it from him, completely different scenario but same skill factor)

LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage