SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread

9 déc. 2021 à 14 h 26
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Not today, but sure

Yea, we can do it slowly... Just figured we could use the Pyramids. I think buffalo might have the best high end talent, Carolina all around.
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2021 à 14 h 35
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
With the preliminary rosters now set, the CAR have ten prospects on the initial rosters:
Scott Morrow (USA) 2nd round pick
Aleksi Heimosalmi (FIN) 2nd round pick
Ville Koivunen (FIN) 2nd round pick
Nikita Guslistov (RUS) 7th round pick
Vasily Ponomarev (RUS) 2nd round pick
Alexander Pashin (RUS) 7th round pick
Nikita Quapp (GER) 6th round pick
Joel Nystrom (SWE) 7th round pick
Zion Nybeck (SWE) 4th round pick
Ronan Seeley (CAN) 7th round pick

It can always be up for debate on who has the best prospect pool, IMO it is CAR, but for me, there is no arguing they have the deepest prospect pool in the NHL.

I would agree that they for sure have the deepest, but not necessarily the best. Teams like Buffalo and Ottawa with prospect pools highlighted with studs like Power and Sanderson and then also being very deep are probably ahead of them. They're top 5 for sure though. They've done a good job of loading up on picks (lots of trading down 10 picks to acquire an extra selection in the next round kinda deals) and actually select BPA, they don't go off the board too much. They don't have many high end prospects (Jarvis and that's about it) but they have a TON of guys that look like potential middle six/4-5D options. Their strategy is quantity over quality for sure, and just hope a few of them hit, which is turning out pretty decently for them. I do think that their numbers of players at the WJC are inflated by drafting a lot of Europeans though, like there's only one Canadian on that list who probably doesn't make the team, and only one American. And the only guy that would maybe make Canada is maybe Ponomaryov.
9 déc. 2021 à 14 h 41
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
Quoting: Alfie11
I would agree that they for sure have the deepest, but not necessarily the best. Teams like Buffalo and Ottawa with prospect pools highlighted with studs like Power and Sanderson and then also being very deep are probably ahead of them. They're top 5 for sure though. They've done a good job of loading up on picks (lots of trading down 10 picks to acquire an extra selection in the next round kinda deals) and actually select BPA, they don't go off the board too much. They don't have many high end prospects (Jarvis and that's about it) but they have a TON of guys that look like potential middle six/4-5D options. Their strategy is quantity over quality for sure, and just hope a few of them hit, which is turning out pretty decently for them. I do think that their numbers of players at the WJC are inflated by drafting a lot of Europeans though, like there's only one Canadian on that list who probably doesn't make the team, and only one American. And the only guy that would maybe make Canada is maybe Ponomaryov.

I disagree, but totally cool. Evaluating prospects can be a very personal thing. IMO they are loaded from top to bottom at every position.

9 déc. 2021 à 14 h 49
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
I disagree, but totally cool. Evaluating prospects can be a very personal thing. IMO they are loaded from top to bottom at every position.

His closest comparables include McCabe, Pysyk, B. Smith, and Koekkoek? I think he's a good prospect but I'm not exactly enthralled by that, and I would say that does seem accurate. A 4-5-6 D seems like about the right projection for him, and his comparables match that. But him being Carolina's 2nd best prospect doesn't inspire too much confidence in their high end talent. The Makar comparison just seems dumb all around, it's extremely unlikely he turns into anything close to Makar, and he didn't have the potential of Makar (a top 5 pick) in his draft year. Seems like pure clickbait because he has a similar D1 NHLer probability. I'd like to know how many guys with with a ~55% D1 NHLer probability in this model turn out to be Cale Makar level because I bet the answer (in recent memory anyway) fits on one hand, and is honestly probably just Makar.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2021 à 14 h 56
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Alfie11
His closest comparables include McCabe, Pysyk, B. Smith, and Koekkoek? I think he's a good prospect but I'm not exactly enthralled by that, and I would say that does seem accurate. A 4-5-6 D seems like about the right projection for him, and his comparables match that. But him being Carolina's 2nd best prospect doesn't inspire too much confidence in their high end talent. The Makar comparison just seems dumb all around, it's extremely unlikely he turns into anything close to Makar, and he didn't have the potential of Makar (a top 5 pick) in his draft year. Seems like pure clickbait because he has a similar D1 NHLer probability. I'd like to know how many guys with with a ~55% D1 NHLer probability in this model turn out to be Cale Makar level because I bet the answer (in recent memory anyway) fits on one hand, and is honestly probably just Makar.

Morrow is about as untouchable as any prospect right now. It certainly not 'click bait'. There are a lot of scouts who are singing his praises right now as an absolute steal of a pick and his progress is off the charts right now. If he is like this now as a freshman, I can't wait to see him in the years to come. But again, agree to disagree, all good.
9 déc. 2021 à 15 h 19
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,422
Morrow is about as untouchable as any prospect right now. It certainly not 'click bait'. There are a lot of scouts who are singing his praises right now as an absolute steal of a pick and his progress is off the charts right now. If he is like this now as a freshman, I can't wait to see him in the years to come. But again, agree to disagree, all good.

what i had on Morrow during his draft year was that he was a talented boom or bust OFD so unless he's a sure-fire boom I can't see him being untouchable
9 déc. 2021 à 15 h 26
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
what i had on Morrow during his draft year was that he was a talented boom or bust OFD so unless he's a sure-fire boom I can't see him being untouchable

I am all aboard the hype train. He’s an elite, fluid skater, and able to duck in and out of traffic while tightly controlling the puck. He’s always looking for an opportunity to attack, either by himself or by setting up a teammate. He can dictate the pace of the game. Morrow has immense potential. I hope he reaches it, and yes, he is untouchable for me.
9 déc. 2021 à 15 h 28
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM
I am all aboard the hype train. He’s an elite, fluid skater, and able to duck in and out of traffic while tightly controlling the puck. He’s always looking for an opportunity to attack, either by himself or by setting up a teammate. He can dictate the pace of the game. Morrow has immense potential. I hope he reaches it, and yes, he is untouchable for me.

I can understand that, his potential is high and boom or bust prospects are usually very polarizing, there are the people who are all aboard the boom, and the people who are concerned he'll bust
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
9 déc. 2021 à 15 h 32
Ovchinnikov 137
I can understand that, his potential is high and boom or bust prospects are usually very polarizing, there are the people who are all aboard the boom, and the people who are concerned he'll bust

Complete opposite from what I have seen, but that's why projecting prospects is fun. Right now for me, CAR has a future star
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 11 h 35
Ovchinnikov 137

Holtz going to play for SWE. He and Eklund will be fun to watch
zk97 et capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 13 h 3
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM
So I have a question for our prospect pyramid sheet, do you guys think players like Sillinger, Jarvis, etc should be considered prospects? So guys who haven't played in the NHL before this year but will most likely play the whole year, should they be prospects until they've played a certain amount of games or, should they be prospects until they look like they made the roster?
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 13 h 7
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,574
So I have a question for our prospect pyramid sheet, do you guys think players like Sillinger, Jarvis, etc should be considered prospects? So guys who haven't played in the NHL before this year but will most likely play the whole year, should they be prospects until they've played a certain amount of games or, should they be prospects until they look like they made the roster?

i feel like they should be counted as prospects
i have no reasoning my brain isnt working
10 déc. 2021 à 13 h 47
Ovchinnikov 137

Massive addition
zk97, A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 13 h 52
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: Zuki9797

Okay, I've added back some players to the sheet who've played part of this year but didn't have any NHL experience before that, however, my unofficial cutoff is 41 NHL games so they're only prospects for some time
capsfan2121, zk97 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 13 h 53
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM

Massive addition

Let's go, that's huge, thought this does mean Josh Roy has even less of a chance to make the WJC
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 14 h 16
Ovchinnikov 137
Let's go, that's huge, thought this does mean Josh Roy has even less of a chance to make the WJC

Could be very tough, it certainly means Leafs prospect Tverberg is not going.

In no particular order, IMO:
12 FWDS 8 D 3 G
Xavier Bourgault, Mavrik Bourque, Luke Evangelista, Dylan Guenther, Kent Johnson, Mason McTavish, Jake Neighbours, Cole Perfetti, Justin Sourdif, Shane Wright, Zach Dean, Ridly Greig
Owen Power, Corson Ceulemans, Kaiden Guhle, Daemon Hunt, Carson Lambos, Jack Thompson, Olen Zellweger, Ronan Seeley
Sebastian Cossa, Dylan Garand, Brett Brochu
AustonMatthews3443 a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 14 h 18
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM

12 FWDS 8 D 3 G
Xavier Bourgault, Mavrik Bourque, Luke Evangelista, Dylan Guenther, Kent Johnson, Mason McTavish, Jake Neighbours, Cole Perfetti, Justin Sourdif, Shane Wright, Zach Dean, Ridly Greig
Owen Power, Corson Ceulemans, Kaiden Guhle, Daemon Hunt, Carson Lambos, Jack Thompson, Olen Zellweger, Ronan Seeley

Ceulemans wasn't invited i think
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 14 h 19
Ovchinnikov 137
Ceulemans wasn't invited i think

**** your right, I forgot

Edit:
WHY

Ryan O'Rourke then
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 14 h 20
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM
**** your right, I forgot

Edit:
WHY

Might be the same reason as Clarke, both are RD's but weren't invited
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 15 h 6
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 6,514

Not prospects, any rookie this year is a rookie not a prospect. IMO.
10 déc. 2021 à 15 h 12
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM
Modifié 10 déc. 2021 à 15 h 18
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Not prospects, any rookie this year is a rookie not a prospect. IMO.

I think I'll put any skater whose under 23 ( as of January 1st 2021 ) and has played less than 41 NHL games as a prospect, for goalies, under 25 and not a part of a team's tandem so guys like Raymond, Seider, Jarvis, etc won't be prospects by the year's end, but if something were to happen like they get send down or something, they'd still be prospects

Edit: I want to make sure guys who play a couple of NHL games are still prospects so that someone like Cam York who played 3 games last year but none so far this year is still a prospect, I feel like if you have half a season's worth of NHL games and still young, then at that point you're officially a rookie/young NHLer
BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 15 h 44
Daddy
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 581

12 FWDS 8 D 3 G

Thompson is unavailable due to COVID reasons, gotta feel for the guy, such a crappy way to miss out on an opportunity of a lifetime.
10 déc. 2021 à 15 h 46
Quoting: AustonMatthews3443
Thompson is unavailable due to COVID reasons, gotta feel for the guy, such a crappy way to miss out on an opportunity of a lifetime.

covid can go die tbh
capsfan2121, AustonMatthews3443, MatthewsFan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
10 déc. 2021 à 15 h 47
Hop on the Slaftrain
Mentions "j'aime": 20,506
covid can go die tbh

I know right? so outdated
10 déc. 2021 à 15 h 49
Quoting: SevenLeg
I know right? so outdated