Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

16 sept. 2021 à 15 h 53
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,437
Quoting: SevenLeg
I just looked it up.

Manhattan was originally an island when it was sold to the settlers by the Natives.

Sometime in the 1800’s, the residents and business people decided to connect the Hudson and Harlem Rivers, and the canal separating Manhattan from the mainland was dug and finished by the 1890’s

What was Manhattan connected to before 1890?
16 sept. 2021 à 15 h 55
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,506
Quoting: Devil1122
What was Manhattan connected to before 1890?

To the mainland, Bronx
A_Habs_fan et Devil a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 16 h 20
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,134
Man Bettman be trolling Hamilton hard rn

He knows they want their own hockey team so he just baits them with special events with 2 teams nearby lul.

Lets be real Hamilton is probs on the bottom of expansion cities who will get an NHL team even though having another Ontario team could be fun.
MitchMarner_16 a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 16 h 25
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516
Quoting: aadoyle

He knows they want their own hockey team so he just baits them with special events with 2 teams nearby lul.

Lets be real Hamilton is probs on the bottom of expansion cities who will get an NHL team even though having another Ontario team could be fun.

Hamilton is just a collection of factories and smog masquerading as a city.
aadoyle, EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 17 h 4
SHL NJD GM
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,424
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Ya I know, our GM is a dumb f*ck so it really wouldn’t surprise me.

What he’s doing is like if you go to war and you have to pick 2 out of 3 guns, your choices are a pistol, a revolver and an AK-47. He’s basically picking the pistol and the revolver, when the best one is clearly the AK.

Good luck, Khudobin-Oettinger should be your tandem but Nill did sign Holtby for a reason
EsoYeezus69 et Devil a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 17 h 4
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15

Facts, I passed by there once and it just looked like factories
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 17 h 12
Jinx god
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 13,730

So basically Saint-John NB.
16 sept. 2021 à 17 h 51
Speak of the Devil

How big is Hamilton as a city? Can it sustain an NHL team?
16 sept. 2021 à 18 h 1
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 16 sept. 2021 à 18 h 8
Quoting: Devil1122
How big is Hamilton as a city? Can it sustain an NHL team?

Its big enough yes

They had one before but that was a long time ago (1925 Hamilton Tigers)

They first tried in 1990 to get a new NHL team but Ottawa and Tampa were favored. People speculated Toronto and Buffalo was the cause but that's been proven untrue

They then tried again in 2008 with the Phoenix Coyotes and 2010 with the Thrashers but both attempts were unsuccessful.

Rn if we look at expansion cities who will get an NHL team in order

1. Houston
2. Kansas City
3. Quebec City
4. Hartford (apparently the potential market is now enormous)
5. Saskatoon (has a building ready)
6. Hamilton
Devil et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 18 h 31
Speak of the Devil
Its big enough yes

They first tried in 1990 to get a new NHL team but Ottawa and Tampa were favored. People speculated Toronto and Buffalo was the cause but that's been proven untrue

They then tried again in 2008 with the Phoenix Coyotes and 2010 with the Thrashers but both attempts were unsuccessful.

1. Houston
2. Kansas City
3. Quebec City
6. Hamilton

I feel like I passed by Hamilton on my way to Toronto a few years ago but I don't remember it

Quebec should be higher than Kansas in my opinion
Hartford might be tough with a lot of competition around them. But I would love to see the Whalers back. In a 2 hour radius, you could see 4 teams (Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Whalers)
I would even throw Milwaukee into the conversation
16 sept. 2021 à 18 h 52
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Mentions "j'aime": 12,855
Its big enough yes

1. Houston
2. Kansas City
3. Quebec City
6. Hamilton

Saskatoon getting a team would be the best pick for HOCKEY imo

I think getting more players from there would develop a lot more talent. I just think the province would flourish with an NHL team for the youth there to aspire and see first hand.

Could even see Mr. Hockey or Marleau getting a ton of nice tributes locally/ in the arena and so on, building the NHL there and growing talent. Just think that city would support the team more than the likes of Quebec or Hamilton (other Canadian options). And I think they could have some sick jerseys/ teams.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 18 h 56
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes

I think getting more players from there would develop a lot more talent. I just think the province would flourish with an NHL team for the youth there to aspire and see first hand.

Could even see Mr. Hockey or Marleau getting a ton of nice tributes locally/ in the arena and so on, building the NHL there and growing talent. Just think that city would support the team more than the likes of Quebec or Hamilton (other Canadian options). And I think they could have some sick jerseys/ teams.

It would fill in the Canada map thats for sure. That bald spot be really annoying lul
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 11
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,245

As someone from Saskatchewan, I think they could support a team. People love hockey here and there's tons of nhl fans. If there was a team, they'd probably be even more. People absolutely love the roughriders (CFL in case anyone was wondering), and I think an nhl team would be even more loved.

It would fill in the Canada map thats for sure. That bald spot be really annoying lul

Ya no kidding.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 12
Saskoiler for now

PS.

Who is Norm McDonald?
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 13
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: Saskleaf
PS.

Who is Norm McDonald?

Canadian comedian who died a couple days ago, really famous
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 21
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
PS.

Who is Norm McDonald?

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Canadian comedian who died a couple days ago, really famous

Canadian comedian but considered a legend in all of comedy. Funniest comedian imo.

If you care enough/ have the time watch some of his clips on youtube. His humor/ delivery is unique and deadpan. Pretty dark sometimes too lol.

Saskleaf et capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 23
Former Hockey Fan

I very much doubt that an NHL team would create many new players in Saskatchewan. In the NHL last year there were 26 players from Manitoba and 25 from Saskatchewan. Manitoba had an NHL team and 200K more people. Alberta has 2.4 times the population as Saskatchewan and only 2 times the players. And they have 2 NHL teams.

Sure, like Qubébec City it’d be nice to see, but it won’t add any growth for the game or even league revenue.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 25
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
I very much doubt that an NHL team would create many new players in Saskatchewan. In the NHL last year there were 26 players from Manitoba and 25 from Saskatchewan. Manitoba had an NHL team and 200K more people. Alberta has 2.4 times the population as Saskatchewan and only 2 times the players. And they have 2 NHL teams.

Sure, like Qubébec City it’d be nice to see, but it won’t add any growth for the game or even league revenue.

I think Sask is different. I just think it would be different than throwing a team in QC or ON again. Best spot imo for Canada.

Not anything tangible.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 27
Former Hockey Fan
I think Sask is different. I just think it would be different than throwing a team in QC or ON again. Best spot imo for Canada.

Not anything tangible.

I mean it would be great, I just don’t think it would lead to much growth, since hockey’s already really popular there.
Saskleaf et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 30
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 554
PS.

Who is Norm McDonald?

A legend, comedy died two days ago
capsfan2121, Saskleaf et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 37
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,506
As someone from Saskatchewan, I think they could support a team. People love hockey here and there's tons of nhl fans. If there was a team, they'd probably be even more. People absolutely love the roughriders (CFL in case anyone was wondering), and I think an nhl team would be even more loved.

Saskatchewan was the best part do colour in Canada maps in school. So rectangularly satisfying. The worst was Nunavut by far, I still have PTSD
Saskleaf, Kotkaniemi15, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 42
Speak of the Devil

16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 47
Hakuna Matata
For those interested

Everyone who signed a PTO this coming season

https://thescoringtouch.com/2021/09/16/2021-nhl-pto-tracker/
16 sept. 2021 à 19 h 58
Saskoiler for now
Modifié 16 sept. 2021 à 20 h 5

Have to agree with Kotkaniemi that it wouldn't bring more nhl players.

One more thing to think about though, it's in the west, where there is less population than the east and probably less expansion options.
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
16 sept. 2021 à 20 h 19
Démarrer sujet
Brace for the Storm
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,647
How good is this?
Marchand-Hintz-Rust
Forsberg-Cirelli-Saad
Wood-R.Strome-Armia
Johnston-Sutter-Perry

Toews-Petro