SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Juraj Slafkovsky (8 Years / $7,600,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

lun. à 16 h 16
Banni
Rejoint: déc. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,518
SLAFFFFFFer such a nice deal ! WENT WHUGHES hard time.
lun. à 16 h 16
Retired V2 V3 GM
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,167
Quoting: WastingTimeWithTradeNobodyLikes
risky for slaf on missing out on a lot a money

Quoting: FarhanLuigi
I remember when Nick Suzuki had a top10 worst contract in the league, too

Opinions are like..well, you know

Risky
lun. à 16 h 18
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,672
the 20 goals and 50 points dont tell the whole story. it took some time for him to be put on that first line, and once he did, he scored at around 70 points pace... AT 19 YEARS OLD.

risky contract ? its not risk free, but the odds higher that its gonna be a steal of a deal instead of a bad contract.
lun. à 16 h 19
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,445
Quoting: Jco5ta5
Montour just signed a similar contract $7.1 x 7 years and he's had 1 season over 40 points and never put up 20 goals.

Montour is also 30 while slaf is 20 lmao
lun. à 16 h 23
pmb
Rejoint: nov. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 219
Hughes could've waited until mid season to sign him to see if he progressed, but maybe at that point the contract would've been 8+ millions
lun. à 16 h 40
Juraj Slapshotsky
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 583
Quoting: kurvaux
Forward vs Defenseman not comparable at all

He’s really not good defenively though. He’s getting paid because he’s an offensive defensemen.
lun. à 16 h 59
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 619
They did the same with Suzuki, locking him up long term before he'd really done anything to deserve the money, but in doing so, avoiding bigger money if they waited until he proved he deserved it. This strategy works out more often than not for these top prospects. Look at how much New Jersey is saving with Hischier and Jack Hughes.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
lun. à 17 h 7
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,699
Quoting: Missouri
Risky

Quoting: HonestHockeyNYI
After one 20 goal & 50 point season? OK then.

Boldy signed 7x$7M in January 2023 with the same career stats, while being 2 years older. Slaf is a STUD.
FarhanLuigi a aimé ceci.
lun. à 17 h 8
Hawks Fan
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 1,956
Quoting: drambui
he plays defense, man come on lol.

Quoting: Colonel_Green
Montour is a defenceman, you can't compare point production with a forward contract.

But in any case, while there is some risk to this, the upside potential is huge and the Canadiens already have a lot riding on Slafkovsky becoming a top-tier winger, so I don't see the risks as out of line. If Slaf doesn't become a star, the rebuild has bigger problems than him being overpaid.

Made a mistake. My bad. FWIW I'm in favor of this contract. I was responding to someone who said they didn't like it. My comment was meant to show it wasn't that far off base compared to some others that are handed out. I just chose the wrong contract comparison.
drambui et FarhanLuigi a aimé ceci.
lun. à 17 h 17
I Love J Boqvist
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 3,914
Bargain deal. I expected him to wait
lun. à 19 h 35
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 267
Quoting: drambui
the 20 goals and 50 points dont tell the whole story. it took some time for him to be put on that first line, and once he did, he scored at around 70 points pace... AT 19 YEARS OLD.

risky contract ? its not risk free, but the odds higher that its gonna be a steal of a deal instead of a bad contract.

Slafkovsky is probably their best player up front in a year or two if not already. The incredible improvement over the year would indicate a higher upside than Suzuki or Caufield.

It will come down to Demidov and if The Russian can take some pressure off Juraj once teams start to target Slaf.
lun. à 20 h 17
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,724
Quoting: Jco5ta5
Montour just signed a similar contract $7.1 x 7 years and he's had 1 season over 40 points and never put up 20 goals.

20 goals and 40 points for a defenseman are very different than for a forward. 20 g in particular is a special year for a dman
lun. à 20 h 22
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,672
Quoting: FarhanLuigi
Slafkovsky is probably their best player up front in a year or two if not already. The incredible improvement over the year would indicate a higher upside than Suzuki or Caufield.

It will come down to Demidov and if can take some pressure off Juraj once teams start to target Slaf.

its hard to tell. skill is sort of an issue with slaf. he got size, he is smart, goot good visions, good puck protection, but his shot and his overall offensive plays needs work. I think suzuki is gonna be our best player still for a little while.
FarhanLuigi a aimé ceci.
lun. à 21 h 24
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 51
Seems REALLY excessive. Benefits of being first overall a few years ago I suppose...
Sopuii a aimé ceci.
lun. à 21 h 57
SHL NJD GM
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,607
Quoting: SoFlaSooner
Seems REALLY excessive. Benefits of being first overall a few years ago I suppose...

People said the same thing about Jack Hughes, Nick Suzuki, etc’s similar deal and they generally end up looking good, you’re betting on the player to continue to grow and when a couple years have passed, the player is worth more and you have a bargain
Xavier02 a aimé ceci.
lun. à 23 h 21
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 25
lol this is gonna be a steal. can't believe almost 1/3 of people voted no so far. casuals or people who hate how good the habs are gonna be ig
mar. à 0 h 29
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 931
Assuming he hasn't peaked, this is a great deal.
mar. à 7 h 49
Living the dream
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,023
They're paying Slaf for what he will do, not what he has done. I think it's risky, but I've been wrong many times before.
mar. à 8 h 21
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 248
I like this contract for Montreal. I think Slafkovsky showed enough to be worth the gamble, and the upside is that he should be improving while the cap increases, making this deal hit it's highest value right when this team is likely to be moving into contending status.

I like that they seem to have a bit of an internal structure, they still need a superstar player at the top of this young core to push to that contender level, but Demidov could be exactly that, and the salaries they have their young guys on make that very affordable to pay someone a big salary down the road. While I don't believe every one of these deals turns out to be a steal, (Caulfield for example), I think the value ends up being at least decent later on, and with Slaf and Suzuki, I think the value could be excellent in a pretty short time frame, and this is the type of risk to take while you are building.
drambui a aimé ceci.
mar. à 9 h 36
Rejoint: juill. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 10
Why not sign a bridge contract in case one of the big 3 doesn't work out? Seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage