SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

23 avr. à 19 h 15
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,039
Quoting: RipNasty
You only see what you want to see. And ignore everything else. Reaves has been fine. Marner has been fine as well. But unless he gets 10 points a game you are going to say he's invisible because he doesn't get into scrums after the whistle.

Reaves has been fine... That wasn't disrespect to his games, moreso showing that I don't just value hits and stuff, but logic and team...

And currently, when your line has an xG% of 2.9% through the first to periods, you are not playing fine... Especially if you are making 10.9 million dollars
23 avr. à 19 h 17
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,672
So when he figures out the playoffs, do you want that to be for the leafs or anyone else after your trade him for Crouse straight up because that's the cool thing to do on here?

Its been 8 years. We have given him plenty of time to figure it out. This isnt a young kid anymore
Saskleaf, Trickster et Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
23 avr. à 19 h 29
Rip
Mentions "j'aime": 3,113
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Reaves has been fine... That wasn't disrespect to his games, moreso showing that I don't just value hits and stuff, but logic and team...

And currently, when your line has an xG% of 2.9% through the first to periods, you are not playing fine... Especially if you are making 10.9 million dollars

You are lost
23 avr. à 19 h 30
Rip
Quoting: Random2152
Its been 8 years. We have given him plenty of time to figure it out. This isnt a young kid anymore

Alright, but this isn't the last 7 years, it's this year and it's been 2 games, one of which we won. Settle down with the Marner hate.
23 avr. à 19 h 31
Leafs going to Leafs
You are lost

2.9% is acceptable?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What are the expectations from Marner then?
Saskleaf et Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 avr. à 19 h 33
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,672
Alright, but this isn't the last 7 years, it's this year and it's been 2 games, one of which we won. Settle down with the Marner hate.

If he starts playing well, absolutely.
It is literally the only thing I want.

If not, i dont care if we win - we need to talk about moving him
Trickster a aimé ceci.
23 avr. à 20 h 22
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,070
Modifié 23 avr. à 20 h 30
Honestly, Mike Johnson and Kyper are right on the ball with the whole Marner thing and is correct much of its getting overblown especially here at times lul.

Once McMann and Willy come back things will stabilise. As in general the whole JT line (Knies-JT-Marner) just has not looked great 5 on 5.

When McMann was with JT and Marner I loved the look of that line heck when Keefe stacked the line with Nylander that was also good

With how good Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok has been maybe you stack up the second line with Willy and Knies is placed on the 4th. As when Keefe put him on the 4th Knies had one of his best games of the season
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
23 avr. à 21 h 1
Rip
2.9% is acceptable?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What are the expectations from Marner then?

Its absolutely nonsense. I don't know where you got your numbers but they are clearly broke.
23 avr. à 23 h 39
Leafs going to Leafs
Its absolutely nonsense. I don't know where you got your numbers but they are clearly broke.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20232024&game=30122&view=limited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1gaKgfJ3H0 (where he mentions a 2.9% xGF% through 2 period)
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
24 avr. à 7 h 21
Rip
https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20232024&game=30122&view=limited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1gaKgfJ3H0 (where he mentions a 2.9% xGF% through 2 period)

I am done here sir, hate Marner and will be mad at him after he wins us a round.
24 avr. à 9 h 44
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,232
I am done here sir, hate Marner and will be mad at him after he wins us a round.

I understand being optimistic and hoping Marner might break through. But stop trying to act like this is all unprecedented hate. Marner has never been good in the playoffs. I like Marner too, but it’s a serious concern. Stop getting so defensive, it makes your argument look even worse
Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
24 avr. à 10 h 23
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
I understand being optimistic and hoping Marner might break through. But stop trying to act like this is all unprecedented hate. Marner has never been good in the playoffs. I like Marner too, but it’s a serious concern. Stop getting so defensive, it makes your argument look even worse

He has actually performed in the playoffs. 47 points in 52 games. Now I have been very critical of him as well. He gets in his head and does dumb things. But this playoffs is 2 games old and he hasn't looked bad, hasn't dominated but he hasn't looked bad. Give it a few games. We just won a game and several dudes on here just talk about trading Marner. Its beyond silly.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
24 avr. à 12 h 19
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 220
My opinion on the Marner situation is that he seems to have the same problem as the Leafs as a whole: He gets inside his head and is almost self-defeating. I heard a related prediction on TSN Overdrive as well. One of the 3 guys (I think it was O-Dog, but I’m not certain) predicted that Marner would be the best player on the ice in Game 3.
24 avr. à 12 h 29
Rip
Quoting: LeafsForLife
My opinion on the Marner situation is that he seems to have the same problem as the Leafs as a whole: He gets inside his head and is almost self-defeating. I heard a related prediction on TSN Overdrive as well. One of the 3 guys (I think it was O-Dog, but I’m not certain) predicted that Marner would be the best player on the ice in Game 3.

Marner getting inside his own head is his Achilles heal. I haven't seen that version of Marner yet though. If anything he looks a little slow right now. His cut backs and edge work is just not as strong as usual. I think he's still not 100% from his ankle injury. It's likely healed for sure but his leg will be weaker due to 2-3 weeks of inactivity. I imagine a week or two of working out will get him back to 100%.
24 avr. à 13 h 12
Leafs going to Leafs

This:

Marner's never shown he can be a contributor worth 10.9 mill in the playoffs... That's what makes everyone concerned...

He comes out tonight and score 4 points, and keeps it up throughout the series, different story, if he wasn't, on average, 2 shots and a -1 and that's all he's done, different story...

Heck, if Toronto was up 2-0 coming back home with Marner being a contributor to G1, different story, but none of these things happened
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
24 avr. à 13 h 22
Leafs going to Leafs
He has actually performed in the playoffs. 47 points in 52 games. Now I have been very critical of him as well. He gets in his head and does dumb things. But this playoffs is 2 games old and he hasn't looked bad, hasn't dominated but he hasn't looked bad. Give it a few games. We just won a game and several dudes on here just talk about trading Marner. Its beyond silly.

10 goals in 52 games... Tor give you and idea, that's a worse pace than guys like Teuvo, Bert and Debrusk... All of whom, they could get for a little more than Marner's cap hit combined

And again, refusing to look at the stats (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20232024&game=30122&view=limited, https://hockeystatcards.com/single, 4 shots over 2 games and that's it) or looking at the eye test (The Pasta goal+the lazy forecheck+The brutal PK throughout the 2 games; 3 for 7, Marner was on for all 3 PK goals against...) displays that he has to step it up,
24 avr. à 13 h 39
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 24 avr. à 13 h 53
Quoting: LeafsForLife

I think its honestly just more so Leafs nation overreacting again. They win oh but Marner ABC. If they lost game 2 I agree the criticism would be there but they won. Has he not been playing up to his standards yes. But he's also not being a liability or severe problem like others are going for lul. Were not dealing with Holl people lul

The second line as a whole has been pretty quiet 5 on 5. With how the third line's been I dont like how Robertson's the odd man out now that Willy's back. If anything go stack up the second line and put Knies on the 4th line

Basically

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Nylander-JT-Marner
Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Kampf-Knies

Cause Robertson-Holmberg-Jarnkrok has been good despite at times getting bullied. And for Robertson especially he's helped create a lot of dangerous chances.

Game 1: HDCF% =83.33%
Game 2: HDCF% = 100%

But in the end what we all should realize TOR won a game only needing one of the big 4 to step up 5 on 5. Imagine what happens once 2 or 3 show up.
LeafsForLife a aimé ceci.
24 avr. à 13 h 51
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,232

Honestly didn’t realize he had that many points in the playoffs (now he still should be getting more than that but it’s not as bad as I thought)

Again, don’t get me wrong, I’d like nothing more for him to figure it out. It’s just at what point do we have to come to the conclusion that he’s not a good playoff performer
24 avr. à 15 h 12
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 24 avr. à 17 h 11
Not playoffs but super important news

Nikita Grebyonkin is a KHL champion

To bad his role diminished towards the end to where he barely played but hey not bad

He already has stated he dont plan to resign with the KHL team he was on so expect ELC this summer
24 avr. à 17 h 8
Rip
This:

Marner's never shown he can be a contributor worth 10.9 mill in the playoffs... That's what makes everyone concerned...

He comes out tonight and score 4 points, and keeps it up throughout the series, different story, if he wasn't, on average, 2 shots and a -1 and that's all he's done, different story...

Heck, if Toronto was up 2-0 coming back home with Marner being a contributor to G1, different story, but none of these things happened

You're the worst kind of leaf fan.
24 avr. à 17 h 8
Rip
10 goals in 52 games... Tor give you and idea, that's a worse pace than guys like Teuvo, Bert and Debrusk... All of whom, they could get for a little more than Marner's cap hit combined

And again, refusing to look at the stats (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20232024&game=30122&view=limited, https://hockeystatcards.com/single, 4 shots over 2 games and that's it) or looking at the eye test (The Pasta goal+the lazy forecheck+The brutal PK throughout the 2 games; 3 for 7, Marner was on for all 3 PK goals against...) displays that he has to step it up,

He's not a goal scored he's a playmaker. Whining about goals is dumb when that's not his game.

Just go cheer for a different team then if you hate the leafs players so much.
24 avr. à 17 h 9
Leafs going to Leafs
You're the worst kind of leaf fan.

The one that uses multiple different factors to determine how well a player's playing vs expectation, not just whether I like them or not?
24 avr. à 17 h 11
Leafs going to Leafs
He's not a goal scored he's a playmaker. Whining about goals is dumb when that's not his game.

Just go cheer for a different team then if you hate the leafs players so much.

Oh, so just bc me and other Leaf fans have been saying that this player making 13%+ of the cap isn't preforming up to snuff, I don't like Leaf players... Definitely haven't ever defended Matthews, Woll, JT, Sammy, Knies, Rielly, Bert, Domi, Reaves, Libby, Robertson, Kampf, Jarnkrok, Lilly, Keefe and others 🙄

lol
24 avr. à 17 h 20
Rip
Honestly didn’t realize he had that many points in the playoffs (now he still should be getting more than that but it’s not as bad as I thought)

Again, don’t get me wrong, I’d like nothing more for him to figure it out. It’s just at what point do we have to come to the conclusion that he’s not a good playoff performer

He certainly wasn't bad vs Tampa last year. And he had a good game 4 vs Florida last year as well. When he's really bad, he does the opposite of what makes him good. He shoots when he should pass and pass when he should shoot. So far in the 2 games he's played he hasn't done that. Made some good passes and has been good in his own end but he looks a little slow still. I think his leg is weak still from his injury.

My hope is Willy comes back tonight and takes a lot of heat off Marner. If Matthews can keep dominating and Willy makes their 3rd line look silly then the pressure will leave Marner and he can just play. I think keeping him away from Matthews is a good idea, mainly because he'll be put in a more secondary role. Why that is good is because I have felt for a while now that he desperately wants to be a hero and puts too much pressure on himself to carry the team. He's just not that guy on this team and instead needs to focus on just being as good as he can be. Let Matthews and Willy be the heros. If he does that, I imagine he will be what he wants to be.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
24 avr. à 17 h 36
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,095
So there is a very real chance the Wild trade Marco Rossi this offseason. It would likely be a prospect swap for a similarly talented younger with a bigger frame.

What is the consensus on a Knies for Rossi trade? I'd like to keep Knies, but Rossi solves a lot of long term center issues while also being uber-talented. Could be an interesting avenue to explore, curious what you all think

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage