SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

20 avr. à 23 h 28
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,290
Well one thing that the bagheads were right about: Reaves certainly did set the tone for tonight...
20 avr. à 23 h 42
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,047
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Well one thing that the bagheads were right about: Reaves certainly did set the tone for tonight...

3 things I remember of him 2 bad 1 good

Good he helped on Kampf goal

Bad out of position goal 1 and trying to get Fredric to fight and him just laughing like why give yall a PP lul
20 avr. à 23 h 55
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,085
Going to start manifesting it now, I need Juuse Saros to be a Leaf in 2024 🤞🤞
Saskleaf et oneX a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 0 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Goalies are silly geese last thing TOR needs is to waste assets on one. Lets say we spend a 1st + on him he comes in 0.902SV year 1

Either develop one or go get one in FA. You dont need over the top goaltending to win a cup ask Avs + VGK

Defense is what wins yah chips go spend assets there
21 avr. à 0 h 16
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,098
Quoting: fangm
If you think everyone was just bad then we watched a different game. Clearly there were issues but the Leafs out shot and out hit Boston. Moneypuck has the expected goals at 7.4 to 3.7 in favour of Toronto.

The lesson I take is that we need more of what we got from the first line. Boston was doing the same **** but since everyone does it nobody gets called. On Toronto it stands out when Domi or Bert do it cause nobody else does.

Also the two high sticks are complete flukes, wouldn't read into it.

In terms of the goalie. If it's going to be a tight checking defensive game then we need Woll. Sammy will give you the brilliant save that Woll won't but he also lets in a bunch of ****ty screenshots like 2 of the goals today that Woll rarely allows. I'd rather give up the 1 goal on a crazy play that Sammy would save and get stability that this team didn't have this game. That 2nd goal was a backbreaker. Never goes in on Woll.

I think some of woll's really good saves don't look as good because he's far more in control with his movements while Sammy is a battler who makes saves look fantasy but does so out of necessity. It's exciting vs boring but poised. I agree, I would much rather have the guy who is in control in there square to the shooter and looking big. Sammy can be insane at times but then he'll get beat a lot at any time.
21 avr. à 0 h 22
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Goalies are silly geese last thing TOR needs is to waste assets on one. Lets say we spend a 1st + on him he comes in 0.902SV year 1

Either develop one or go get one in FA. You dont need over the top goaltending to win a cup ask Avs + VGK

Defense is what wins yah chips go spend assets there

No doubt defense is a hugely important part of winning it all, but let's look at every cup winners goaltenders over these last few years:

Adin Hill
Darcy Kuemper
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Jordan Binnington
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray
Marc Andre Fleury
Corey Crawford
Johnathan Quick

Do the Leafs have a goalie anywhere near the talent level of those guys? The best outcome for us would be Woll going on a Binnington level heater. Goalie is the most important position in the sport, and the Leafs continually neglect it with way too much turnover year to year. The last time we had an elite goalie, we had a blueline consisting of guys like Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie.

Watching this team in the playoffs every year is like banging your head against the wall and expecting it to stop being painful eventually.

Look at Colorado. They've got arguably the best defense group in the league. That group is damn near untouchable. Yet, Georgiev is still selling games. Until we get an elite goalie, there is no hope. You build your blueline up from your net minder, how are we supposed to do that when the foundation is continually demolished?
GiggywithGibby et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 0 h 23
Rip
No doubt defense is a hugely important part of winning it all, but let's look at every cup winners goaltenders over these last few years:

Adin Hill
Darcy Kuemper
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Jordan Binnington
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray
Marc Andre Fleury
Corey Crawford
Johnathan Quick

Do the Leafs have a goalie anywhere near the talent level of those guys? The best outcome for us would be Woll going on a Binnington level heater. Goalie is the most important position in the sport, and the Leafs continually neglect it with way too much turnover year to year. The last time we had an elite goalie, we had a blueline consisting of guys like Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie.

Watching this team in the playoffs every year is like banging your head against the wall and expecting it to stop being painful eventually.

Look at Colorado. They've got arguably the best defense group in the league. That group is damn near untouchable. Yet, Georgiev is still selling games. Until we get an elite goalie, there is no hope. You build your blueline up from your net minder, how are we supposed to do that when the foundation is continually demolished?

They literally have Matt Murray
21 avr. à 0 h 25
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Quoting: RipNasty
They literally have Matt Murray

I love the dude but you can't convince me Leafs Matt Murray is the same as Pens Matt Murray. Injuries have unfortunately seen to that
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 0 h 29
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,658
I love the dude but you can't convince me Leafs Matt Murray is the same as Pens Matt Murray. Injuries have unfortunately seen to that

He hasnt been great with the Marlies either.

He is a long way away from a comeback
aadoyle et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 1 h 19
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 21 avr. à 4 h 41

Adin Hill
Darcy Kuemper
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Jordan Binnington
Braden Holtby
Matt Murray
Marc Andre Fleury
Corey Crawford
Johnathan Quick

Hill aint anything super over the top Sammy last year had better numbers

Hill was the #3 in VGK when he got them a cup. If Brossoit and Thompson weren't hurt he's still the #3

Kuempers numbers in the playoffs were bad but Avs pulled through

What Avs and VGK showed u dont need elite goaltending to win

Goalies are silly Geese look at Binnington one season wonder technically. Kuempers numbers in playoffs weren't on great and look at his current in WSH.

In the end spending any high assets on one is not worth. Either go get one in FA or develop one and pray u get a Sorokin, Shesterkin, etc.
21 avr. à 1 h 45
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,636
If you think everyone was just bad then we watched a different game. Clearly there were issues but the Leafs out shot and out hit Boston. Moneypuck has the expected goals at 7.4 to 3.7 in favour of Toronto.

The lesson I take is that we need more of what we got from the first line. Boston was doing the same **** but since everyone does it nobody gets called. On Toronto it stands out when Domi or Bert do it cause nobody else does.

In terms of the goalie. If it's going to be a tight checking defensive game then we need Woll. Sammy will give you the brilliant save that Woll won't but he also lets in a bunch of ****ty screenshots like 2 of the goals today that Woll rarely allows. I'd rather give up the 1 goal on a crazy play that Sammy would save and get stability that this team didn't have this game. That 2nd goal was a backbreaker. Never goes in on Woll.

Early in the first period the Leafs were keeping up with the play but as soon as the unnecessary hit by Reaves and the pinch by Edmundson at the same time the Bruins carried the play.

These goalies we have can make routine saves but as soon as the D or forward group make mistakes, all bets are off. The goal where the Boston player was able to get to Sammy without a Leafs player between him and Sammy is just bad defense. If there's going to be more chances like this one in the series, forget the game no chance at winning the series.

As for Matthews and the talk about shots vs shot attempts, bottom line is the stars have to score. It's why they get the big bucks and if the stats line is going to be zero, zero, zero, good luck winning anything.
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 1 h 46
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
Early in the first period the Leafs were keeping up with the play but as soon as the unnecessary hit by Reaves and the pinch by Edmundson at the same time the Bruins carried the play.

These goalies we have can make routine saves but as soon as the D or forward group make mistakes, all bets are off. The goal where the Boston player was able to get to Sammy without a Leafs player between him and Sammy is just bad defense. If there's going to be more chances like this one in the series, forget the game no chance at winning the series.

As for Matthews and the talk about shots vs shot attempts, bottom line is the stars have to score. It's why they get the big bucks and if the stats line is going to be zero, zero, zero, good luck winning anything.

Reminds me of last year game 1 honestly everything went wrong. One diff PP scored twice lul
oneX a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 1 h 47
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
He hasnt been great with the Marlies either.

He is a long way away from a comeback

And even then with all the surgeries and injury history how trustworthy is he

I loved that DAL game where he ate em alive but dam I dont trust him to play more than 15 before injuring something
21 avr. à 1 h 50
Reminds me of last year game 1 honestly everything went wrong. One diff PP scored twice lul

The PP tonight was aweful but what else is new? After watching the PP, someone said to me jokingly "looks like we are in playoff form" and man...the feeling just sucked.
21 avr. à 2 h 8
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 21 avr. à 2 h 38
The PP tonight was aweful but what else is new? After watching the PP, someone said to me jokingly "looks like we are in playoff form" and man...the feeling just sucked.

One thing I will go meh on it for no Nylander.

Like maybe if he's there they score 1

Still want Bertuzzi on PP1 over JT as in Feb PP ran at 50% with him there
21 avr. à 2 h 42
Hakuna Matata
Not gonna take to much of one game but the defensive missques and PK stuff is why I said this summer go revamp that Dcore with 2 or 3 guys who will make people's lives in front of the net or in general a living nightmare

As **** it gimmie Dillon, Roy, Demelo this summer.
21 avr. à 3 h 6
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 21 avr. à 3 h 16

Outshooting a team does not mean jack if they aint grade A danger chances. U can just shoot low danger shots on net giving the opposing goalie a higher save percentage. Toronto generated nothing dangerous for Swayman but 2 shots. Holmberg from Robertson and Matthews missing a wide open net....

Outhitting dont mean jack either if your not scoring and going to the box to often to. Leafs and BOS both had 50 so idk where your getting they shot more

Fluke or not be smarter with your stick. They will call high sticks every day of the week. What good's it gonna do if our top line's in the box making our bad PK have to save itself

The backbreaker wasnt goal 2 no no. Sure 5 leafs getting beat by a single Debrusk who won the battle got it to Carlo and scored embarassing them. The real backbreaker was Matthews missing an empty net and then his entire line deciding lets go to the penalty box and be non factors.

Big 4 didnt show up (Willy gets a pass wasnt in) dont matter ABC this team goes no where if those guys dont show up and they didnt

Kampf got a goal, Reaves and Dewar assists where's Matthews, JT, Marner, Rielly, etc?

Better show up game 2 or its gonna be a short series
21 avr. à 3 h 21
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 21 avr. à 5 h 14

Also forgot to say I know people yell at the goalie but your on the ball with it

Goal 2 who some calls the backbreaker

Dangle on his review highlighted something that should be embarrassing

5 leafs are back against Debrusk and he wins the puck battle to Carlo and its in but even before that 2 giveaways lead to that chaos.

If we continue gifting Boston grade A chances like that to where Sammy has to go SOTY to stop it book the golfcourse were done. He might catch one or two of those but yea No goalie is stopping it all the time. The silliness with Woll needs to stop he also struggled vs. BOS and same results lul

Game 2 they better play much better especially the Matthews line otherwise were not going anywhere.

Not worried we saw this last year and Sammy in the end outdueled Vasi. But they need to play much smarter and support him and he just needs to be good and make the saves when needed no need to go fancy
oneX a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 8 h 45
Also forgot to say I know people yell at the goalie but your on the ball with it

5 leafs are back against Debrusk and he wins the puck battle to Carlo and its in but even before that 2 giveaways lead to that chaos.

If we continue gifting Boston grade A chances like that to where Sammy has to go SOTY to stop it book the golfcourse were done. He might catch one or two of those but yea No goalie is stopping it all the time. The silliness with Woll needs to stop he also struggled vs. BOS and same results lul

Game 2 they better play much better especially the Matthews line otherwise were not going anywhere.

Not worried we saw this last year and Sammy in the end outdueled Vasi. But they need to play much smarter and support him and he just needs to be good and make the saves when needed no need to go fancy

Yep. I know a few of us here feel that if Woll was in net things would be different but strictly from how the team had turnovers and just mental mistakes, Woll is not going to save the team from that.

Already said it but the Leafs don't have the luxury to play as loose as they did in game 1.

Also, Keefe please...take Rielly off the PP and put Liljegren in.
21 avr. à 9 h 0

Saros might have made a save on one of those turnovers but to think he would save them all is silly.

Need to cut down on turnovers and mental mistakes. Yes, gotta be physical but if you're taking yourself completely out of the play, the hit is unnecessary.

Also shots vs high danger chances. Getting shots on goal is good but there just wasn't enough high danger chances.
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 9 h 57
Rip

Likely. Woll should get the next start but I bet Keefe goes with Sammy again and he'll likely still not be good enough.
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
21 avr. à 10 h 3
Rip
Outshooting a team does not mean jack if they aint grade A danger chances. U can just shoot low danger shots on net giving the opposing goalie a higher save percentage. Toronto generated nothing dangerous for Swayman but 2 shots. Holmberg from Robertson and Matthews missing a wide open net....

Outhitting dont mean jack either if your not scoring and going to the box to often to. Leafs and BOS both had 50 so idk where your getting they shot more

Fluke or not be smarter with your stick. They will call high sticks every day of the week. What good's it gonna do if our top line's in the box making our bad PK have to save itself

The backbreaker wasnt goal 2 no no. Sure 5 leafs getting beat by a single Debrusk who won the battle got it to Carlo and scored embarassing them. The real backbreaker was Matthews missing an empty net and then his entire line deciding lets go to the penalty box and be non factors.

Big 4 didnt show up (Willy gets a pass wasnt in) dont matter ABC this team goes no where if those guys dont show up and they didnt

Kampf got a goal, Reaves and Dewar assists where's Matthews, JT, Marner, Rielly, etc?

Better show up game 2 or its gonna be a short series

JT and Bertuzzi has several tips that were super high danger. The leafs definitely got their chances but Swayman stopped it all. He looks in control so a lot of those chances didn't look great. This is the difference between Sammy and actual good goalies. Flopping around all over the place making "athletic" saves looks cool and all but it is an illusion. A goalie in control makes big saves look easy. Swayman does that, and that's why many on here can't see the good chances the leafs created.

That being said, Boston does limit second chances way better than TO does.
21 avr. à 10 h 14
Rip
Yep. I know a few of us here feel that if Woll was in net things would be different but strictly from how the team had turnovers and just mental mistakes, Woll is not going to save the team from that.

Already said it but the Leafs don't have the luxury to play as loose as they did in game 1.

Also, Keefe please...take Rielly off the PP and put Liljegren in.

Woll wouldn't have won that game, it's going to take more than 1 goal to beat Boston. Keefe's system does lead to some fast and loose moments though and he won't adjust anything until they are on the brink of losing.
21 avr. à 10 h 20
Rip

Sammy had a GAA and sv% that was quite poor in the playoffs last year and was bad vs Florida. Are you sure you actually watch Sammy?
21 avr. à 11 h 42
Rip
For those that still think Sammy should get more runway. He has won a grand total of 5 playoff games in 16 games started. His GAA in his career is 3.13 and that doesn't include letting in 4 last night. His SV% is .902 and again doesn't include last night.

He doesn't deserve that much blame for last night, the team didn't score and played dumb for much of the night. However, how long does a guy have to be mediocre or downright bad in the playoffs before people come around to the fact that his problem between the ears will be allow him to become a playoff goalie.
NorthernLeafsFan05 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage