SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

12 avr. à 19 h 19
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,069
Leafs are signing Cade Webber to a 2 year ELC that begins this season. Wonder if he gets a look down the stretch
CameronSquires et Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
12 avr. à 19 h 46
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,003
Modifié 12 avr. à 19 h 56
Quoting: Trickster
I would never rely on Samsonov to steal a game, if anything he is more likely to be the cause of loss.

Samsonov play last night was a joke, he does not get a pass because it is that close to playoff time, .
That type of play gave him pass early on, the time for it now is over.

I'd rather take a chance on Woll simply because betting him now will pay dividends in the future.

I think it's funny that you constantly tote Samsonov's horn but are afraid to play him VS Tampa, yeah that the thinking that get us to succeed in the plays... playing afraid.

We never really should be playing to the point where we need a goalie to steal a game especially for playoffs considering the star power this team has.

Good teams play to where everything is clicking from goalie making saves, to defense limiting the chances, the forwards creating plays and scoring goals. When u need a goalie to steal a game for yah it shows u got a lot of work to do. VGK won a cup with their #3 goalie. Didnt need him to steal or be over the top just play well.

TBL has been the few cases Sammy has not had fun with as we saw. Like we know Vasi's weakness they know Sammy's. Thats the one instance where u dont want him playing like you dont want Woll playing vs. BOS.

Sammy had a off night big woop lul. Cant be overreacting when before that he was 18-3-1. Its not like he was 4-5 coming into that game vs. NJ and allowing the first shot to go in 3 of his last 4 lul.

TOR wasnt trying and he was off. Was a crazy score fest night against a non playoff team, Not concerned. Overreacting on one bad start in his last 20 be silly. Close to playoffs sure but you think the team will put out that kind of effort vs. BOS or FLA no
12 avr. à 19 h 49
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Leafs are signing Cade Webber to a 2 year ELC that begins this season. Wonder if he gets a look down the stretch

Kind of dumb considering how many Dman we have rn. Should have been like Quillan's

Happy to see him but burning a year just is a why moment
12 avr. à 19 h 52
McMann Season
Mentions "j'aime": 954
Quoting: aadoyle
Kind of dumb considering how many Dman we have rn. Should have been like Quillan's

Happy to see him but burning a year just is a why moment

I guess I’m case we need him come last game or in playoffs, we don’t have a ton of reliable depth on D so maybe they want another option idrk. I guess they might just sign an extension on July 1

Update: he’s expected to be with the team for the last 2 games
12 avr. à 19 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CameronSquires
I guess I’m case we need him come last game or in playoffs, we don’t have a ton of reliable depth on D so maybe they want another option idrk. I guess they might just sign an extension on July 1

Update: he’s expected to be with the team for the last 2 games

To me its just a waste of a year IMO. Should have just did what we did with Quillan

Contact kicks in next year.

As we have 9 NHL Dman rn

We had guys who could rotate so its hard to justify burning a year now. But its to late now so lets see
12 avr. à 20 h 0
McMann Season
To me its just a waste of a year IMO. Should have just did what we did with Quillan

As we have 9 NHL Dman rn

We had guys who could rotate so its hard to justify burning a year now. But its to late now so lets see

I mean there could be more to it than that. There could be more going on behind the scenes we aren’t aware of or anything
12 avr. à 20 h 2
McMann Season

As we have 9 NHL Dman rn

If a player starts their ELC at 24 years old then they have one year, starting at 23 they get 2 years. I believe it would’ve been expiring next year regardless since he’s 23 right now

Edit: he’s born in Jan so I don’t think what I said would apply. Not sure why it starts this season unless maybe to do with rights expiring this summer?
12 avr. à 22 h 51
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,633
Why would u start Sammy vs. TBL when TBL and specifically Kucherov has had his number

Sammy should get DET, Woll TBL, and Jones FLA to just allow for no injuries

Also thats a pretty ignorant statement none of the goalies have stolen games

Did you forget the WPG game

Sammy stole that and thats when we knew he was back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJoIIr_pPQc&ab_channel=SPORTSNET

Still remember him stopping 4 shots on a 2-0 and Keefe benching the big 4. And look at the shots 13mins through the 2nd....

Game 6 vs. TBL last year also robbed them a few times before JT won them the series

Woll also has some moments here and there before the injury. Not full on steals but close

Quoting: RipNasty
I would say that is very untrue. Both Sammy and Woll can steal games, both have done so this season on multiple occasions. What's more important those is for our goalies to not lose us games. Samsonov definitely does that at times. And has a history of it. This season he had a month straight of blowing games. Woll's problem was health related. Got unlucky with a sprained ankle and has worked himself back into game shape. He should be the starter for sure. So long as the leafs play well in front of Woll he's very unlikely to hurt us. Likely wins us some games. Sammy can do that as well but we know by now that he's also going to have moments where he loses focus and it will cost us. I just wouldn't take the risk. He flops all over the place making athletic saves but sometimes it burns him and it's harder to play with a guy like vs a poised positional guy. Start Woll

So...my comments were specifically about the playoffs. I realize both of these guys have stolen games in the regular season but the playoffs are a different story.

Anyway I think it's a recipe for disaster to count on the goalies to play like Vasi, Hellebyuck and Shesterkin do.

The forwards and D-core just need to be better. This team has the game breakers, it just needs to play lock down defense in their end.

Also forgot that Jones can play one of the Florida/Tampa games and that makes sense and allows the other goalies to focus on the team they likely play in game 1.
12 avr. à 22 h 56
Special teams are something that are gonna be the big talk rn and in these next 3 games we need to see some progress

So far in April 2 goals on 16 opportunities and whats the big concern is in February they had 28 opportunities and converted on 14 of them, then in March 44 opportunities and converted on 4 of them

With this teams struggle to draw a lot of PP's need to be able to convert on the one's we get. Yes despite having Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander this seems to happen to often

Cause in the playoffs were gonna need everything clicking and if our PP or PK cant get it done were toast

You know what's disheartening about the powerplay? That Keefe hasn't figured out that Rielly doesn't work there. He has zero shot and can't get it passed the defenders which makes him useless there.

Keefe doing Keefe things...what a surprise.
13 avr. à 0 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 avr. à 1 h 9
Quoting: oneX
So...my comments were specifically about the playoffs. I realize both of these guys have stolen games in the regular season but the playoffs are a different story.

Anyway I think it's a recipe for disaster to count on the goalies to play like Vasi, Hellebyuck and Shesterkin do.

The forwards and D-core just need to be better. This team has the game breakers, it just needs to play lock down defense in their end.

Also forgot that Jones can play one of the Florida/Tampa games and that makes sense and allows the other goalies to focus on the team they likely play in game 1.

I mean Sammy did technically steal a game in the playoffs Game 6

I remember that was a duel between 2 Russian goalies and it was fierce

When he just barely caught that Stamkos one timer to keep it 1-1, the 2 on 1 save on Eysimmont in OT, what a game
oneX a aimé ceci.
13 avr. à 0 h 58
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 avr. à 1 h 27
You know what's disheartening about the powerplay? That Keefe hasn't figured out that Rielly doesn't work there. He has zero shot and can't get it passed the defenders which makes him useless there.

Keefe doing Keefe things...what a surprise.

U cant really blame Keefe when he's not in charge of the PP

Boucher is and in Feb PP was 50% but then March it just went south and while it has been a bit better for April its not substantial

And Rielly really aint the issue for the PP as through the years its been top 10 with him on unit 1, if anything this is just the setup and system needing adjusting once teams figure it out. As u can see the backpass to either Marner or Matthews eats 30 seconds off the clock and then they struggle to set up. Teams expect it and just wait. Whoever has it should just carry it not wait and drop pass

Article is a good read https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2024/04/01/why-did-the-maple-leafs-power-play-fall-off-a-cliff-in-march-a-look-at-the-game-tape/
oneX a aimé ceci.
13 avr. à 2 h 49
U cant really blame Keefe when he's not in charge of the PP

Boucher is and in Feb PP was 50% but then March it just went south and while it has been a bit better for April its not substantial

And Rielly really aint the issue for the PP as through the years its been top 10 with him on unit 1, if anything this is just the setup and system needing adjusting once teams figure it out. As u can see the backpass to either Marner or Matthews eats 30 seconds off the clock and then they struggle to set up. Teams expect it and just wait. Whoever has it should just carry it not wait and drop pass

Article is a good read https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2024/04/01/why-did-the-maple-leafs-power-play-fall-off-a-cliff-in-march-a-look-at-the-game-tape/

Keefe is the head coach. He takes the heat for everything because ultimately it falls on him to make the best decisions possible.

Do you think if Keefe disagreed on Rielly's use on the powerplay that he'd still be there? Absolutely not.

He has the last call on coaching decisions regarding of who is running the powerplay or penalty kill etc.

Who is the one answering the tough questions after games? It's not any of the assistants. There's a reason why.
Trickster a aimé ceci.
13 avr. à 3 h 20
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 avr. à 3 h 52
Keefe is the head coach. He takes the heat for everything because ultimately it falls on him to make the best decisions possible.

Do you think if Keefe disagreed on Rielly's use on the powerplay that he'd still be there? Absolutely not.

He has the last call on coaching decisions regarding of who is running the powerplay or penalty kill etc.

Who is the one answering the tough questions after games? It's not any of the assistants. There's a reason why.

Reilly has been on both units and both have worked fine again he's not the issue

Pp was 50 percent with him there in February and they have had a top 10 pp year after year with him it's just from March to playoffs it cools down due to predictability and inability to adapt

And while the assistants don't answer they should we saw the Amazon doc when Keefe told the goalie coach how bout they make a save. Assistants should be doing interviews as when a PP or PK is struggling they should answer for it

Keefe can only tell them to do their jobs afterwards it's up to them and the players to get it done. But I the end this is a problem that's extended before Keefe has even been the HC and that is TOR Pp goes cold for playoffs
13 avr. à 13 h 51
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,049

I think that is very much on Keefe's shoulders. He needs to adjust his game plan to account for how things change in the playoffs and he never does. Woll was absolutely terrific vs Florida last year by the way. Sammy isn't TO's long term answer and Woll is.
13 avr. à 14 h 16
Leafs going to Leafs
Mentions "j'aime": 2,983
Quoting: palhal
A little of topic But why did Reilly get a five game for high sticking an Ottawa player after the game was over. Then Brady Tkachuk goes after player who shoots the puck in the empty Ottawa after the game was over ....no suspension.

Brady doesn't have a Leaf logo on his chest, does he?
palhal et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
13 avr. à 14 h 19
Leafs going to Leafs
On a side note, hopefully the only 2 big moves the Leafs could consider are: a potential Marner trade (unlikely) or a Keller trade (if he demands he only wants to play with 34)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X35S4Ik-jGc

I don't want to see them in any Markstrom/Saros/Zegras/Tkachuk rumours because it doesn't make sense for them IMO
13 avr. à 14 h 34
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 avr. à 14 h 41
Quoting: Leafsfan98
On a side note, hopefully the only 2 big moves the Leafs could consider are: a potential Marner trade (unlikely) or a Keller trade (if he demands he only wants to play with 34)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X35S4Ik-jGc

I don't want to see them in any Markstrom/Saros/Zegras/Tkachuk rumours because it doesn't make sense for them IMO

If the leafs didnt trade Nylander despite the value being monstrous they aint gonna trade Marner

Plans looking us in point blank in the face he's getting extended. As moving Marner when u decided to keep Willy makes no sense. If you wanted to spark change arguably Willy would have been the first to go.

Also Leafs digest not best stuff for news
13 avr. à 14 h 58
Leafs going to Leafs
If the leafs didnt trade Nylander despite the value being monstrous they aint gonna trade Marner

Plans looking us in point blank in the face he's getting extended. As moving Marner when u decided to keep Willy makes no sense. If you wanted to spark change arguably Willy would have been the first to go.

Also Leafs digest not best stuff for news

Okay, Under Shanny, none of the 4 would get traded... Under another president, I could see one of them getting moved... And this is Shanny's last year under contract....
13 avr. à 15 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Okay, Under Shanny, none of the 4 would get traded... Under another president, I could see one of them getting moved... And this is Shanny's last year under contract....

Shanahan's still gonna be president after this year

Shanahan's contract ends 2024-2025

Marner can sign a new contract July 1 2024

And good luck moving any of them as they decide their fates now. Full NMC

The window to trading them is done. Last year before the protection came in was the time but they decided otherwise

Its either extend or lose for nothing
13 avr. à 15 h 17
Leafs going to Leafs
Shanahan's still gonna be president after this year

Shanahan's contract ends 2024-2025

Marner can sign a new contract July 1 2024

And good luck moving any of them as they decide their fates now. Full NMC

The window to trading them is done. Last year before the protection came in was the time but they decided otherwise

Its either extend or lose for nothing

Ah well... MLSE may still move on from Shanny due to new ownership... But who knows
13 avr. à 15 h 24
Hakuna Matata
Ah well... MLSE may still move on from Shanny due to new ownership... But who knows

MLSE dont have a new owner. They have a new president but he is controlled by the board.

MLSE is run by a board of directors consisting of Rogers, Bell, Kilmer sports, and Goodman. Shanahan's friends with the Boards President Tanenbaum

Shanahan and Masai under the old system by Tanenbaum would skip the president and go straight to the board for decisions if they chose. If the new president wants to be a stepping stone to that its fine but cannot interfere if board says otherwise

If they decide to move on it will be once Shanahan's deal is up as they will not want to have to pay for two guys.
13 avr. à 15 h 26
Leafs going to Leafs
MLSE dont have a new owner. They have a new president but he is controlled by the board.

MLSE is run by a board of directors consisting of Rogers, Bell, Kilmer sports, and Goodman. Shanahan's friends with the Boards President Tanenbaum

If they decide to move on it will be once Shanahan's deal is up as they will not want to have to pay for both guys.

President-Owner... I don't really care, but there's a change in power is what I'm saying... and if the leafs are another 1rst round exit or another quick 2nd round exit... Wh would the board be thrilled by the results?
13 avr. à 15 h 27
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 13 avr. à 15 h 33
President-Owner... I don't really care, but there's a change in power is what I'm saying... and if the leafs are another 1rst round exit or another quick 2nd round exit... Wh would the board be thrilled by the results?

Board has not waived a finger so far

If they did Shanahan and Dubas would have been gone after MTL series. Dubas was fired due to a bar press conference and wanting more autonomy than he already had. Dubas deal was up and in that case it was easy to fire. If he had another year left on his deal probs would have prevented the firing but not approved the autonomy Dubas wanted.

Shanahan still has another year left, is friends with the board, and even with a new president of MLSE nothing changes lul.

Its after the deal's done we could see a change to whose president but I dont get the sense they have any interest in that rn.
13 avr. à 19 h 34
Hakuna Matata
Rielly Brodie burned again

I get an injury happened but they don't work just have McCabe with rielly
13 avr. à 19 h 41
Hakuna Matata
Rielly Brodie burned again

I get an injury happened but they don't work just have McCabe with rielly

But before that is Rielly okay cause man he's skating weird and is getting beat way to often for the puck

The body language just don't look good

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage