Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

25 avr. à 0 h 26
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,928
Quoting: aadoyle
I dont want Blizzard cause of the Avs it would be confusing

Utah Cataclysms sounds odd but also nice lul

Utah Blizzards. Sponsored by Dairy Queen. They're gonna turn this league on its head.
aadoyle, HockeyScotty, BigBallsBriere and 4 others a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 0 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,069
Quoting: Rangsey
Utah Blizzards. Sponsored by Dairy Queen. They're gonna turn this league on its head.

Utah Dairy Queens tears of joy

Logo is a Blizzard ice cream cup upside down
25 avr. à 1 h 49
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 965
Quoting: Saskleaf
7. Utah Fury
It, A, is kind of boring and generic, B, doesn’t scream hockey, and C, probably works best with a fire theme and we already have the flames in the NHL. So pretty easy no for me

And of course, 1. Yetis
As mentioned with Mammoth, I’m glad this is Yetis and not Yeti. But overall I think Utah Yetis should be what this team is called. Yetis are big and fierce (but have a lovable side too so good mascot potential), they’re from the mountains, they’re associated with snow, they’re white which can leave the jersey colour to be up in the air, and Utah Yetis sounds good and rolls off the tongue well. Hopefully this wins the contest

I had originally thought that something like Utah Hotshots would be cool (Wildfire Firefighters that drop in on helicopters; pretty much heroes out in the west) so if they incorporated that into the "Fury" I would like it more but the connection is kind of weak.

I thought Yetis were just fancy expensive coolers that all the hipsters had and drinking cups before Stanley's became cooler? It's a stretch since it is a Himalayan myth and not much of a Rocky Mountain one; we have more Sasquatch legends out here and alien cow mutiliation than Yeti.
Saskleaf et CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 1 h 50

Utah Caldera
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 2 h 13
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Utah Caldera

No joke had to google what a Caldera was lul
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 6 h 45
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,605
Ok because I’m annoyed the leafs lost, I’m gonna rank all 8 names trademarked for the Utah NHL team

8. Utah HC
Do I really need to explain myself here lol

7. Utah Fury
It, A, is kind of boring and generic, B, doesn’t scream hockey, and C, probably works best with a fire theme and we already have the flames in the NHL. So pretty easy no for me

6. Utah Ice
It’s boring and generic, but at least it screams hockey

5. Utah Venom
Really cool idea, but doesn’t really fit either of hockey or Utah. Maybe it’s just me though

4. Utah Outlaws
Starting to get to the ones I really like, this is a strong name and rolls off the tongue really well, I just think there’s other names that fit a hockey team better. Maybe I’m putting too much emphasis on “hockey names” (aka names that have to do with cold lol), who knows. But even though this is a good choice I just think there are 3 better ones.

3. Utah Blizzard
There’s talk they want a mountain theme, this would fit really well with that. Plus it’s a “cold” name, plus it has 2 zs to fit the theme of Utah sports teams lol. Honestly it’s probably a toss up between this and Outlaws, but I gave the edge to Blizzard because it’s a better hockey name

2. Utah Mammoth
I think Mammoth is a really strong name, and it could make a really sick logo, kind of the NLL (lacrosse) Colorado Mammoth (which begs the question: is the NLL a relevant enough league that we have to worry about that? I’m guessing no but it’s not nothing either). I think Mammoths would have been better though which honestly is probably the biggest reason it isn’t number one.

And of course, 1. Yetis
As mentioned with Mammoth, I’m glad this is Yetis and not Yeti. But overall I think Utah Yetis should be what this team is called. Yetis are big and fierce (but have a lovable side too so good mascot potential), they’re from the mountains, they’re associated with snow, they’re white which can leave the jersey colour to be up in the air, and Utah Yetis sounds good and rolls off the tongue well. Hopefully this wins the contest

This is my ranking too basically except I like Mammoth and Blizzard more than Yetis
Saskleaf et SadSensFan14 a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 9 h 21
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,231

Don’t really understand that one, they really aren’t that similar of weather events that they’re going to be confused with each other. Maybe that’s just me though
25 avr. à 9 h 23
Go leafs go
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I had originally thought that something like Utah Hotshots would be cool (Wildfire Firefighters that drop in on helicopters; pretty much heroes out in the west) so if they incorporated that into the "Fury" I would like it more but the connection is kind of weak.

I thought Yetis were just fancy expensive coolers that all the hipsters had and drinking cups before Stanley's became cooler? It's a stretch since it is a Himalayan myth and not much of a Rocky Mountain one; we have more Sasquatch legends out here and alien cow mutiliation than Yeti.

Yes Yetis aren’t directly tied to Utah but neither were Kraken and Seattle, so I don’t think it’s a big deal
HockeyScotty a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 10 h 50
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 323
I feel bad for Dallas fans. They have an amazing regular season and then get rewarded with a first round matchup against the professional cap circumventors. I feel sick for them.
25 avr. à 11 h 14
Rejoint: août 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 99
8. Utah HC
Do I really need to explain myself here lol

I'm going with the assumption that Utah HC is only trademarked as a placeholder for their nameless season and that it hopefully isn't in consideration for a permanent name
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 12 h 8
GM CRIME DAWG
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,704
Quoting: Rolfadinho
I feel bad for Dallas fans. They have an amazing regular season and then get rewarded with a first round matchup against the professional cap circumventors. I feel sick for them.

They are today's Thornton-Marleau San Jose 2.0...
Rolfadinho a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 13 h 21
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 304
Quoting: McGruff
They are today's Thornton-Marleau San Jose 2.0...

And Pavelski is...well, Pavelski.

Sharks are cursed. I guess that means Vegas screwed themselves by getting Hertl?
McGruff et Rolfadinho a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 13 h 22
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 304
RIP Bob Cole
McGruff, Rolfadinho et zk97 a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 13 h 39
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: MGK
And Pavelski is...well, Pavelski.

Sharks are cursed. I guess that means Vegas screwed themselves by getting Hertl?

Good catch on PAVs - he needs better luck!
Rolfadinho a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 13 h 52
Go leafs go
Quoting: Turbo
I'm going with the assumption that Utah HC is only trademarked as a placeholder for their nameless season and that it hopefully isn't in consideration for a permanent name

I think you’re right, but if you aren’t oh boy, that’s a big yikes
zk97 a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 13 h 52
v5 CBJ GM
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 8,572
Quoting: MGK
RIP Bob Cole

I remember his last game where Ryan Poehling got a hatty and the SO winner. He lived a long life, sad to see him go
25 avr. à 14 h 50
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 484
Modifié 25 avr. à 15 h 6
I’m kinda a weirdo:

I’m preferring Utah HC as the final name.

Maybe I’ve thought about so many names they all just kinda seem generic and lazy. Like what low grade theme park would name its newest ride. So why not be generic and lazy to the extreme, own it and do it well, go big or go home. Could refer to them as whatever people from Utah call themselves, or just Utah. (A Ute?, the Utes?) (I’ve recently lived thru the St. Louis MLS expansion and really like our branding there, local ownership enhances marketing opportunity and impact, impresses upon fans that advertising partners are “us”).

It would be fun if their mascot was a snake and it was a dude in a modified green inflatable flailing arms man costume, so for that I’m rooting for venom or poison or whatever. They could have a power play dance for the fans that looks absolutely stupid and ridiculous, making it amazing, where they all wiggle around like snakes.
25 avr. à 16 h 15
Go leafs go
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I’m kinda a weirdo:

Maybe I’ve thought about so many names they all just kinda seem generic and lazy. Like what low grade theme park would name its newest ride. So why not be generic and lazy to the extreme, own it and do it well, go big or go home. Could refer to them as whatever people from Utah call themselves, or just Utah. (A Ute?, the Utes?) (I’ve recently lived thru the St. Louis MLS expansion and really like our branding there, local ownership enhances marketing opportunity and impact, impresses upon fans that advertising partners are “us”).

It would be fun if their mascot was a snake and it was a dude in a modified green inflatable flailing arms man costume, so for that I’m rooting for venom or poison or whatever. They could have a power play dance for the fans that looks absolutely stupid and ridiculous, making it amazing, where they all wiggle around like snakes.

Sorry but that’s a hard no for me lol. It just seems to out of place that it wouldn’t even seem like an NHL team. I don’t think Yetis, Mammoth, or Outlaws are generic names either.
25 avr. à 16 h 20
GM CRIME DAWG
Ok because I’m annoyed the leafs lost, I’m gonna rank all 8 names trademarked for the Utah NHL team

4. Utah Outlaws
Starting to get to the ones I really like, this is a strong name and rolls off the tongue really well, I just think there’s other names that fit a hockey team better. Maybe I’m putting too much emphasis on “hockey names” (aka names that have to do with cold lol), who knows. But even though this is a good choice I just think there are 3 better ones.

I vote UTAH OUTLAWS - a little 'Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western' vibe would be marketing gold!
zk97 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 16 h 23
I’m kinda a weirdo:

Too "futbol-y" for me for hockey; think it still has to be a part of the NHL branding style.

BTW - A "Ute" is a Native American tribe or a member of the Ute Nation, there are several tribes and also what the state flagship NCAA school nickname is: Utah Utes so there is noway they encroach on that.
Citizen of Utah call themselves Utahns; not really good for a team nickname.
25 avr. à 16 h 25
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,295
I’m kinda a weirdo:

It's gotta be something around Bees. It's the beehive state, literally in their emblem. Utah Bees? Utah Yellow Jackets? Utah Swarm? Utah Buzz? Utah Bee-yonce's? Easy arena nickname - The Hive.

Is it just me or does seeing Utah this many times start to make the word look weird?
CantStopWontStop et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
25 avr. à 16 h 44
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
It's gotta be something around Bees. It's the beehive state, literally in their emblem. Utah Bees? Utah Yellow Jackets? Utah Swarm? Utah Buzz? Utah Bee-yonce's? Easy arena nickname - The Hive.

Is it just me or does seeing Utah this many times start to make the word look weird?

Utah Killer BEEZ

1344163230.redyoshi_killerbeejerseys.jpg
25 avr. à 16 h 51
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 484
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

Is wordnesia! - I write code and get it almost daily. Usually 3-5 letter words.
25 avr. à 18 h 57
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,294
Do we see the first 3-0 today?
25 avr. à 19 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Do we see the first 3-0 today?

Maybe CAR but FLA im not sure.

But then again Idk if Isles will go away quietly after embarrassing themselves game 2

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage