SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

26 janv. à 12 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,036
Quoting: Juice
you're right...it was the Zamboni game...for some reason I had it stuck in my head that it was a miserable western road trip that made Dubas pull the deal but the dates weren't adding up (both timing of the signing + the fact they had a successful western trip that year).

But the principle applies either way...we know Treliving isn't a big TDL guy so unless it's Shanny telling him to get something done I just don't see anything major.

I get the feeling they're going to keep 3 goalies up...maybe Jones gets traded for a late pick....but I'd definitely be on board for just being a middle man...take 50% of Guentzel for Vancouver or something

I would honestly explore doing what OTT and Van did last TDL

Set up for next year via a trade

Van and OTT despite the positions traded for Chycrun and Hronek

Both with term and both nice top 4 Dman

If im Brad I do that. Heck may even help them now to if u think of it depending on who it is.

Also I wonder about Jones as his last few have been stinkers now and maybe that will make teams not want him. Or they keep up 3 which is still doable
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
26 janv. à 12 h 32
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,097
Quoting: Leafsfan98
A year and a half ago, Huberdeau was still in Florida

And?
26 janv. à 12 h 36
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle

If im Brad I do that. Heck may even help them now to if u think of it depending on who it is.

Also I wonder about Jones as his last few have been stinkers now and maybe that will make teams not want him. Or they keep up 3 which is still doable

That should be the approach, find a guy who may be available from a team that knows they can't keep a younger defenceman or something. Who that is, I don't know yet but someone like Hronek would be a good add. Although Vancouver is likely not going to have as much fun as their fans think moving forward. The underlying numbers for them don't look great. I bet a stretch of really bad luck is coming.
26 janv. à 12 h 37
Leafs going to Leafs
Mentions "j'aime": 3,008
Quoting: RipNasty
And?

It's a decently long time and the car will be up, making it easier to resign McCabe and Chychrun
26 janv. à 12 h 41
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
It's a decently long time and the car will be up, making it easier to resign McCabe and Chychrun

McCabe is going to be 32 at the start of his next deal that will likely exceed what he's making now. It will be a bad deal. He's not part of the teams long term. Chychrun is also likely going to command a massive deal in 2 years if he stays healthy and keeps scoring at the pace he's scoring at.
26 janv. à 12 h 49
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512

Quoting: RipNasty
That should be the approach, find a guy who may be available from a team that knows they can't keep a younger defenceman or something. Who that is, I don't know yet but someone like Hronek would be a good add. Although Vancouver is likely not going to have as much fun as their fans think moving forward. The underlying numbers for them don't look great. I bet a stretch of really bad luck is coming.

Agreed on the type of targets...just nothing that means it has to take place by this TDL. As long as a the focus in on the longer term and not exclusively a push for this year
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
26 janv. à 12 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Agreed on the type of targets...just nothing that means it has to take place by this TDL. As long as a the focus in on the longer term and not exclusively a push for this year

Yep, but if there is a deal to be had should always explore.

Like if Chycrun is available at the TDL should take a peak
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
26 janv. à 13 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,083
McMann is headed to IR which allows the Leafs to add Bertuzzi back to the main roster.

Seems like Jarnkrok could also be headed there after taking a shot to the hand in practice
Juice a aimé ceci.
26 janv. à 13 h 25
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
McMann is headed to IR which allows the Leafs to add Bertuzzi back to the main roster.

Seems like Jarnkrok could also be headed there after taking a shot to the hand in practice

Is it finally Steeves time to shine lul
26 janv. à 16 h 32

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that McMann is 100% fine. I don't know what the longer term plans are for him or Reaves or whoever....but it wouldn't surprise me if they asked him to agree to go on IR so that he stays up with the club and earns his NHL salary vs trying to send him down....probably just buying some time to kick the roster problem to post-all star weekend
26 janv. à 17 h 27
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,290
Modifié 26 janv. à 17 h 33
so...6 weeks to the TDL and I suppose there's still a lot that can happen between now and then

I've heard it mentioned on various programs and across other sports about "rewarding the players" at the TDL when they're doing well and a GM showing a sign of faith in them by adding at the deadline.

I've also heard (and it may have been Freidman on 32 thoughts)...that a few years ago Dubas had a trade lined up for Bogosian but after an awful road trip he axed the deal because "the players didn't deserve it".

And I kind of agree with that philosophy. I think we all agree where the holes are on this team and we've all shared thoughts on what targets might be useful to help fill them....but a few of us are also in the camp that this team isn't quite good enough to justify spending assets at the deadline to make a push this year. And I'm definitely more in that camp because it feels to me like a lot of the losses are coming off of poor effort and mental mistakes vs lack of skill. Of course that's not every game...but of our "leaders"...I think Morgan might be the only guy where you feel he's giving you close to full effort every time he's out there.

So for me...it's not just about a pessimistic outlook for this team's chances to make a run...it's also about wanting to see if this group can dig themselves out...not giving them a new toy to help cover up their own deficiencies

6 weeks can maybe change my mind...and they may have somewhere between $2m-$4m in cap space depending on how they move players around...but I'd almost prefer them to be a 3rd party to a trade that is just used to facilitate another deal..and the leafs get a draft pick for eating 50% before shipping that player to his ultimate destination.

I also don't think they sell...just tip toe into the playoffs and see what this group can give you. I can't see them moving a guy like TJ with a NTC and all the personal stuff he has going on...as much as us fans may want them to treat things like a business....there's a very real human element and I think it would be pretty classless to ask him to waive

To me, standing pat just shouldn't be an option. We all seem to agree - this team, as it stands, is not good enough to reasonably expect to make a run. Doing nothing in that scenario is just unacceptable. You'd be basically just signing up for a wasted season, barring a miracle.

Either decide fill some of those holes (*guys with term*) to better your team before the playoffs or sell off expiring assets. They need to improve their position in some form.
aadoyle et RipNasty a aimé ceci.
26 janv. à 17 h 43
Modifié 26 janv. à 20 h 9
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
To me, standing pat just shouldn't be an option. We all seem to agree - this team, as it stands, is not good enough to reasonably expect to make a run. Doing nothing in that scenario is just unacceptable. You'd be basically just signing up for a wasted season, barring a miracle.

Either decide fill some of those holes (*guys with term*) to better your team before the playoffs or sell off expiring assets. They need to improve their position in some form.

Ya...thinking they won't sell vs thinking they should are different....I agree that they probably should...it could be an interesting message to the dressing room...you guys haven't given the effort so we're not committing to this group for this year. But generally speaking I'm okay with keeping expiring contracts while going into the deadline in a playoff spot. No problems with treating them as our own rentals as the expense of not recouping some assets

But I just don't think they will actually sell. I think Shanny would veto a sell off while they're still a playoff team. Not agreeing with it, just don't see this front office committing to that strategy
26 janv. à 18 h 36
Hakuna Matata
Ya...thinking they won't sell vs thinking they should are different....I agree that they probably should...it could be an interesting message to the dressing room...you guys haven't given the effort so we're not committing to this group for this year. But generally speaking I'm okay with keeping expiring contracts while going into the deadline in a playoff spot. No problems with treating them as our own rentals as the expense of not recouping some assets

But I just don't think they actually will actually sell. I think Shanny would veto a sell off while they're still a playoff team. Not agreeing with it, just don't see this front office committing to that strategy

In general Brad's not really the selling GM. Only guy he sold was Rittich

Usually he makes some moves that dont cost much besides guys with term (Toffoli)

As I said explore the market see whats out there but it has to have term or someone u know u can extend on arrival

Will be a very interesting TDL
26 janv. à 18 h 44
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

I dont think they need to go crazy like last year or target a whole tonne of rentals but yes a move should be made

As to what the two teams I listed made a move I think is what TOR should eye

Cause if u can have a young RFA top 4 Dman or a guy with some term who u could use for 2.5years or more why not do it
26 janv. à 20 h 7
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 99

But I just don't think they actually will actually sell. I think Shanny would veto a sell off while they're still a playoff team. Not agreeing with it, just don't see this front office committing to that strategy

I would be happy to sell if the Leafs had a playoff spot mostly locked up. Being happy with making the playoffs and losing in the first round (which is no different than other years), while receiving assets back while moving out pending UFAs. But I don't think Shanny, would accept missing the playoffs this year. Too much a step backwards and the finger might start pointing at him. I suspect the following:
If they go on a tear = they buy (renewed hope they are contenders).
if they seem assured a playoff spot (either they play a bit better than ok, or Wings drop off) = sell (strengthening team for next year more important than 1 or 2 extra wins in playoffs).
if they are barely out of, or battling for, playoff spot = buy (to avoid embarrassment).
if they are well out of playoffs (very unlikely) = sell (the lot of them are useless).
26 janv. à 20 h 9
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 99
I dont think they need to go crazy like last year or target a whole tonne of rentals but yes a move should be made

As to what the two teams I listed made a move I think is what TOR should eye

Cause if u can have a young RFA top 4 Dman or a guy with some term who u could use for 2.5years or more why not do it

If I ignore the fact that Shanny had control over Dubas - the Dubas expiring contract forced Dubas to make wholesale changes a the TDL. He had to win a round at all costs. I think they flipped too much of the roster and lack of familiarity became a problem.
Juice a aimé ceci.
26 janv. à 20 h 13
Quoting: Messier99
I would be happy to sell if the Leafs had a playoff spot mostly locked up. Being happy with making the playoffs and losing in the first round (which is no different than other years), while receiving assets back while moving out pending UFAs. But I don't think I, or Shanny, would accept missing the playoffs this year. Is suspect,
If they go on a tear = they buy (renewed hope they are contenders).
if they seem assured a playoff spot (either they play a bit better than ok, or Wings drop off) = sell (strengthening team for next year more important than 1 or 2 extra wins in playoffs).
if they are barely out of, or battling for, playoff spot = buy (to avoid embarrassment).
if they are well out of playoffs (very unlikely) = sell (the lot of them are useless).

That 2nd scenario is the only one I think they don't look at....being assured of a playoff spot and selling. It rarely happens....and you can't imagine them holding a press conference after a first round defeat and trying to tell the media that they didn't believe in the group and wouldn't have made it past the first round with or without the guys they sold.

I completely get where you're coming from and the logic behind it...I just really don't see the team intentionally getting worse while in playoff contention.
26 janv. à 21 h 57
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
From Lance Hornby: "Brad Treliving taking in tonight’s Oshawa Generals home game vs. Erie."

Please be Connor Punnett 🤞
26 janv. à 22 h 8
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Messier99
If I ignore the fact that Shanny had control over Dubas - the Dubas expiring contract forced Dubas to make wholesale changes a the TDL. He had to win a round at all costs. I think they flipped too much of the roster and lack of familiarity became a problem.

Dubas also had that TDL back in 2020-2021

Foligno, Rittich, Hutton, etc

But yea there so much that goes into a TDL sometimes

To me do what Avs did if u want multiple moves

Big calculated move and then trade for guys with term/inexpensive or the one move like OTT and VAN did for their respected Dman
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
27 janv. à 8 h 29
Rip

But I just don't think they will actually sell. I think Shanny would veto a sell off while they're still a playoff team. Not agreeing with it, just don't see this front office committing to that strategy

Management is lost, I have no faith in them.
27 janv. à 9 h 30

I'm okay keeping expiring assets as own rentals if we're a playoff team with legit potential to go on a run. But I think most of us agree we aren't, so they gotta pick a lane.
27 janv. à 14 h 18
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
One guy I'd really like to see the Leafs make an offer to this offseason (assuming he reaches free agency) is Chandler Stephenson. He's having a bit of a down year, but he would be a perfect target to act as a stop gap at 2C. He can come in, force Tavares down to 3C, and be a viable center option until Minten is finally ready to take over the responsibility of being a 2C. I think he would mesh perfectly with Nylander, and could be a very savvy addition.

That being said, I'm not convinced he's leaving Vegas. It's a nice thought though.
oneX a aimé ceci.
27 janv. à 14 h 33
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Normally I'd be dead against Reaves being played, but I really want to see him pummel some of the Jets
oneX a aimé ceci.
27 janv. à 14 h 51
One guy I'd really like to see the Leafs make an offer to this offseason (assuming he reaches free agency) is Chandler Stephenson. He's having a bit of a down year, but he would be a perfect target to act as a stop gap at 2C. He can come in, force Tavares down to 3C, and be a viable center option until Minten is finally ready to take over the responsibility of being a 2C. I think he would mesh perfectly with Nylander, and could be a very savvy addition.

That being said, I'm not convinced he's leaving Vegas. It's a nice thought though.

Don't mind the idea of Stephenson, but I highly doubt he's a stop gap guy. He'll be 30 by free agency, probably looking to cash in on a long term deal. Regardless, I don't think the plan should be a stop gap for Minten because he very likely never becomes a 2C. We should be looking for long term solutions.
27 janv. à 15 h 0
Hakuna Matata
Normally I'd be dead against Reaves being played, but I really want to see him pummel some of the Jets

Its the one game where u want enforcers

As we will never let em forget

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage