SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

4 janv. à 10 h 53
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,274
At the end of the day, I'd much rather overpay stars by a bit than hand out too much to lesser players so this isn't the end of the world I guess, but holy smokes, how is it looking like Nylander is about to get 11+ million dollars per year??

He has had exactly one stretch of less than 40 games in his career where he's even been debatably worth that much and somehow that's the number you're going to settle on... Just crazy to me.
Leafsfan98, Saskleaf et RipNasty a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 11 h 32
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
At the end of the day, I'd much rather overpay stars by a bit than hand out too much to lesser players so this isn't the end of the world I guess, but holy smokes, how is it looking like Nylander is about to get 11+ million dollars per year??

He has had exactly one stretch of less than 40 games in his career where he's even been debatably worth that much and somehow that's the number you're going to settle on... Just crazy to me.

He's on pace for his 4th 30 goal season and possibly 2nd 40 goal season....in a world where the cap is finally going up so you have to look at it as a % of the cap to what similar players have recently signed for.

I still think it'll be under $11m but agree that it's better to not haggle over $500k if it gets the deal done.
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 11 h 42
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,951
Quoting: aadoyle
For a developing guy that really does nothing and for a goalie its also not good

They need to play to keep their skills sharp and this I feel will ruin his momentum

Should have just called Petruzelli and had him sit and let Hildeby play with the Marlies who played Jan 3 and have a b2b Jan 6-7

Cause really if you were not gonna use him in a b2b that to me is a wtf we even doing than moment

As you dont want to overwork Jones as rn were one injury away from disaster

Sammy needs time for a mental reset and Woll still at least a month away

Quoting: TMLBRIAN
Because he has earned it. He has earned the NHL pay check. And there is a lot of value in just being a part of an NHL roster. He is an observer. And if Jones got completed shelled last night, Hilldeby would have[ played tonight. Sammy won't be back any time soon and Woll is still out for at least a month. Hildeby should get a few starts. No rush on it though.

This ^

Quoting: RipNasty
That's in SJ, it's the one to give to Hilldeby. Last night of a road trip, would give the boys extra motivation to protect the rookie. Then give Jones home ice.

TBH, would give Hildeby the game at home...To make him feel more at home... But the away one also works
4 janv. à 12 h 1
Rip
Mentions "j'aime": 3,025
Quoting: Leafsfan98
This ^

TBH, would give Hildeby the game at home...To make him feel more at home... But the away one also works

Just less pressure on the road.
Juice a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 12 h 27
Leafs going to Leafs
Just less pressure on the road.

Fair... But more support at home
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 13 h 30
Quoting: Juice
He's on pace for his 4th 30 goal season and possibly 2nd 40 goal season....in a world where the cap is finally going up so you have to look at it as a % of the cap to what similar players have recently signed for.

I still think it'll be under $11m but agree that it's better to not haggle over $500k if it gets the deal done.

Sure, it's always about %, but nearly 13% after next years increase for a guy who, as much as I like him, has not been in that territory aside from this one stretch... seems like they're getting taken to the cleaners to me.

Only wingers on contracts greater % than what Willy's would be are Panarin, Marner, and Pastrnak. I think Pastrnak is the best comparable because of age, recency, and previous contract status.

Pasta's 5 seasons prior to signing (including the one he signed during): 338 GP 207G (5th) 414 P (6th), Rocket Richard, Hart finalist, 2X 1st NHL All-star team, paced at over 40G 3x, over 50G 2x, over 60G 1x and over 100P 3x

Nylander's previous 5 seasons including this one: 318 GP 141G (13th) 319P (20th), no individual hardware, paced at over 40G 2x, 50G 0x, 60G 0x, over 100P 1x

To me that separation is greater than 0.6 - 0.8%
4 janv. à 13 h 56
Go leafs go
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,194
Nylander at 11mil is too much. Maybe if it’s just a short term deal it’s ok. But 8x11 is wayyy to much and I’d rather let him walk
Leafsfan98 a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 14 h 22
Rip
Sure, it's always about %, but nearly 13% after next years increase for a guy who, as much as I like him, has not been in that territory aside from this one stretch... seems like they're getting taken to the cleaners to me.

Only wingers on contracts greater % than what Willy's would be are Panarin, Marner, and Pastrnak. I think Pastrnak is the best comparable because of age, recency, and previous contract status.

Pasta's 5 seasons prior to signing (including the one he signed during): 338 GP 207G (5th) 414 P (6th), Rocket Richard, Hart finalist, 2X 1st NHL All-star team, paced at over 40G 3x, over 50G 2x, over 60G 1x and over 100P 3x

Nylander's previous 5 seasons including this one: 318 GP 141G (13th) 319P (20th), no individual hardware, paced at over 40G 2x, 50G 0x, 60G 0x, over 100P 1x

To me that separation is greater than 0.6 - 0.8%

That's the wrong way to look at it. Willy is worth what he gets. His biggest flaw was his inconsistency. But it has improved each year. So what does his skill level look like when he's fully engaged. This isn't a surprise. Had Treliving been at all wise, he would have seen how risky trying to grind him for less would be. Willy has always had the skill to completely dominate anyone. He just never did it consistently. Now he's found a new level of consistency and he's a top 10 player. Treliving messed up
4 janv. à 14 h 24
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
Nylander at 11mil is too much. Maybe if it’s just a short term deal it’s ok. But 8x11 is wayyy to much and I’d rather let him walk

I hope you aren't one of those guys who thinks spending that much on one player is somehow bad, but thinks spending 5-6 on two secondary players is somehow smarter. You can't replicate what Willy brings by depth players. If you are mad at the cap hit, be mad at Treliving and Shanahan.
4 janv. à 14 h 27
That's the wrong way to look at it. Willy is worth what he gets. His biggest flaw was his inconsistency. But it has improved each year. So what does his skill level look like when he's fully engaged. This isn't a surprise. Had Treliving been at all wise, he would have seen how risky trying to grind him for less would be. Willy has always had the skill to completely dominate anyone. He just never did it consistently. Now he's found a new level of consistency and he's a top 10 player. Treliving messed up

I don't see how that's the wrong way to look at it. You want to claim and pay Nylander as a top 10 player based off a 36 game stretch? He has as direct a comparable you can get in Pasta and in no world should they be making the same amount against the cap for the next 7 years.

No argument that Tre did mess up though.
4 janv. à 14 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,977
Modifié 4 janv. à 14 h 47

In general Nylander is on pace for 117 points.

Gaudreau when he had 115 was offered 10.5m by CGY. Ended up with 9.75m in FA

For 2 more points would not be handing him Pasta money as to me this is contract year play.

10.5m x 8 years should be the max if he insists on 11.25m move on and try to go after someone like Guentzel or Reinhardt who should cost less.

Cause yea I doubt anyone throws 11m at him in FA and he would end up with less.

If he really wants to be here 10.5m x 8 years but I just got some bad feeling were gonna give him more than Pasta and increase the "how much they spending on 4 guys" meme going and if they dont have playoff success its really gonna get ugly

Cause yea if they do give it to him they have 24m to spend on 3 right handed Dman (including Lily's extension), a 3c, 2nd line LW, 2 4th liners, and a good backup goalie.

Thats gonna dissipate fast.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 14 h 33
Rip
I don't see how that's the wrong way to look at it. You want to claim and pay Nylander as a top 10 player based off a 36 game stretch? He has as direct a comparable you can get in Pasta and in no world should they be making the same amount against the cap for the next 7 years.

No argument that Tre did mess up though.

This isn't a situation where a guy who hasn't really been more than a decent depth guy and has 1 stretch of unsustainable play. He's always had flashes of showing elite top end talent but didn't have the consistency. He keeps getting more consistent. Last season he was extremely good and anyone who isn't just silly should have seen still more to give. Even now, he still can increase his consistency. What does that look like? I don't care what Pasta did in his past whatever seasons. He's a top 5 RW. Nylander has always looked like a guy who could be as good as anyone if he decided to be. And now he has and he'll get paid for it. Could have been for less but we have a bad GM
4 janv. à 15 h 6
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

Agreed with that also but I’m so freaking sick of being a top heavy team with the inability to properly fill out the roster.

Hopefully Matthews, Marner, Nylander will just go God mode on a playoff run to win 16 games
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 15 h 30
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 4 janv. à 22 h 11
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Agreed with that also but I’m so freaking sick of being a top heavy team with the inability to properly fill out the roster.

Hopefully Matthews, Marner, Nylander will just go God mode on a playoff run to win 16 games

Was doing the math if Willy gets 11.25m one of Domi or Bertuzzi is gone

But they can still add some interesting pieces it just wont be ideal in an area or two

Contracts I gave in the example

11.25m x 8 years = Willy (rumoured so went with it but could be higher lul)

5.5m x 4 years = Demelo (Basically the big prize)

2.5m x 3 years = Liligren

825k x 2 years = Benoit

3.15m x 6 years = Domi

1.1m x 2 years = Robertson

2.95m x 2 years = Henrique

1.2m x 2 year = Jones (Backup G)

1.8m x 2 years = Hakinpaa

1.95m x 3 years = Trenin

And for Graduates: Kokkonen and Steeves

But yea basically we lost Bertuzzi. Unless they feel comfortable with Minten in 2024-2025 then alot can change

Would have preferred more space to really improve the Dcore but then forward depth goes out the window as then we relying to much on prospects and gambles lul
4 janv. à 15 h 59
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

But they can still add some interesting pieces it just wont be ideal in an area or two

825k x 2 years = Benoit

3.15m x 6 years = Domi

4.25m x 2 years = Henrique

1.95m x 3 years = Trenin

But yea basically we lost Bertuzzi. Unless they feel comfortable with Minten in 2024-2025 then alot can change

Would have preferred more space to really improve the Dcore but then forward depth goes out the window as then we relying to much on prospects and gambles lul

I’m not going to bother guessing on future numbers or players who might be available/interested in coming to TOR.

I do not believe Nylander will be an 11+ player over the next 4 seasons (especially 8) he is having a fantastic season in a CONTRACT YEAR. Every season before this season would align him to 9 or mid 9’s.

To think this might get to 11.25 or 11.5 is nuts.

I hate the idea of Nylander not being here but I would be exploring trade opportunities, but that’s my view, I realize probably not shared.

I could at least rationalize this IF they proved this in the playoffs but all of them (including Matthews) have not lived up to these deals.

I’m don’t see a world where you can construct a competitive roster with 3+ players taking up sooooooooooo much cap
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 16 h 7
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 4 janv. à 16 h 13
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m not going to bother guessing on future numbers or players who might be available/interested in coming to TOR.

I do not believe Nylander will be an 11+ player over the next 4 seasons (especially 8) he is having a fantastic season in a CONTRACT YEAR. Every season before this season would align him to 9 or mid 9’s.

To think this might get to 11.25 or 11.5 is nuts.

I hate the idea of Nylander not being here but I would be exploring trade opportunities, but that’s my view, I realize probably not shared.

I could at least rationalize this IF they proved this in the playoffs but all of them (including Matthews) have not lived up to these deals.

I’m don’t see a world where you can construct a competitive roster with 3+ players taking up sooooooooooo much cap

In general unless he surprises the world and its 10.25m x 8 years its a lose/lose situation

I dont see a trade that gets us equal value or makes us better and losing him for nothing is also not good.

As to me him getting Pasta money is gonna look bad fast. I feel his play's gonna drop next year from 100 point guy back to 80 point guy

Maybe not but it feels that way.

Hopefully its less than people think like we saw with Rielly who everyone was saying 8.5-9m

But yea thankfully the caps going up as with it they will have space to revamp things and depending on how they spend can still make an interesting group.

Anyways its a wait and see rn
4 janv. à 16 h 18

825k x 2 years = Benoit

3.15m x 6 years = Domi

4.25m x 2 years = Henrique

1.95m x 3 years = Trenin

I'm not expecting both Domi and Bertuzzi to be back but we do have a lot of flexibility going into next year (and a lot of holes to plug). If Minten has another strong camp, maybe he gets a bottom 6 winger role...but guys like him, Steeves, Holmberg can fill 2 bottom 6 spots on <$1m deals.

They have to figure out if Robertson is a top 6 player for them and if Timmins can crack the top 6 on a regular basis. If not, trade those dudes. I like to see a Jake Evans or Michael Rasmussen type (penalty killing 3C) come back in return...basically replaces Domi in that role on a cheaper contract.

Bertuzzi I think we need more info on. I think we all want to see if we're gonna get the same playoff Bert that Boston got and...if so...I think that Bert needs to be re-signed. If he's not coming back, then you decide if Robertson can be your 2LW.

$1.5m or less for a veteran backup for Woll.

Then we have the D. Benoit is earning my trust more and more....if we can get him returned under $1m and penciled in to 3LD I'd gamble on him being a consistent piece for us. Lilly gets a new deal, ideally under $3m, even if it's a 1yr extension. Would Tanev sign in the $4m range if you give him 3yrs? What is Zadorov looking for? Do you take what you'd offer both of those guys and throw it at one player like Pesce or Hanafin? I think we move off of Brodie but what if he's willing to stick around for cheap?

EIther way, even with Willy at $11m I think the next two years has the potential to keep the core intact while finally addressing the D
4 janv. à 16 h 48
Leafs going to Leafs

100%
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 17 h 4
Leafs going to Leafs
I get the talk about the Nylander contract situation rn is big... But to change subject:

How the h**l has Auston Matthews not been in more Hart trophy conversations?

Dude's on pace for 70.28 goals, under 10 PIMs, Been the Leafs most impactful player, Excellent defensively, still has yet to be scored on while playing PK and is top 10 in points despite playing 3-4 less games than most of the other top 10 and top 15 players... What's the deal...

Like, I've heard Jack Hughes for the Hart 100x the amount I've heard Matthews and Matthews is so much better than Hughes
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 17 h 10
I get the talk about the Nylander contract situation rn is big... But to change subject:

How the h**l has Auston Matthews not been in more Hart trophy conversations?

Dude's on pace for 70.28 goals, under 10 PIMs, Been the Leafs most impactful player, Excellent defensively, still has yet to be scored on while playing PK and is top 10 in points despite playing 3-4 less games than most of the other top 10 and top 15 players... What's the deal...

Like, I've heard Jack Hughes for the Hart 100x the amount I've heard Matthews and Matthews is so much better than Hughes

If he goes for 60+ goals he'll be right there in the conversation.

While it's completely meaningless...I would like to see them make a second award for D. One for offensive and one for defense. I find it lazy how, recently, the Norris candidates are all the top point getters.
4 janv. à 17 h 15
Leafs going to Leafs
If he goes for 60+ goals he'll be right there in the conversation.

While it's completely meaningless...I would like to see them make a second award for D. One for offensive and one for defense. I find it lazy how, recently, the Norris candidates are all the top point getters.

He's on pace for 70+, how has he not been in the conversation thus far?

That's a cool idea... And maybe one for each position too... one offensive and defensive for forwards and defence... Then one offensive and defensive overall... Then one overall...
4 janv. à 17 h 30
He's on pace for 70+, how has he not been in the conversation thus far?

That's a cool idea... And maybe one for each position too... one offensive and defensive for forwards and defence... Then one offensive and defensive overall... Then one overall...

I've definitely heard him in the conversation, not something I'm losing sleep over. He's 18pts behind the points leader which usually dominates the Hart ballot unless something spectacular is achieved. 70 goals would certainly be that. McDavid will dominate the convo and Hughes will get a lot of air time because he's the new name in the mix.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
4 janv. à 17 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 4 janv. à 17 h 41
I'm not expecting both Domi and Bertuzzi to be back but we do have a lot of flexibility going into next year (and a lot of holes to plug). If Minten has another strong camp, maybe he gets a bottom 6 winger role...but guys like him, Steeves, Holmberg can fill 2 bottom 6 spots on <$1m deals.

They have to figure out if Robertson is a top 6 player for them and if Timmins can crack the top 6 on a regular basis. If not, trade those dudes. I like to see a Jake Evans or Michael Rasmussen type (penalty killing 3C) come back in return...basically replaces Domi in that role on a cheaper contract.

Bertuzzi I think we need more info on. I think we all want to see if we're gonna get the same playoff Bert that Boston got and...if so...I think that Bert needs to be re-signed. If he's not coming back, then you decide if Robertson can be your 2LW.

$1.5m or less for a veteran backup for Woll.

Then we have the D. Benoit is earning my trust more and more....if we can get him returned under $1m and penciled in to 3LD I'd gamble on him being a consistent piece for us. Lilly gets a new deal, ideally under $3m, even if it's a 1yr extension. Would Tanev sign in the $4m range if you give him 3yrs? What is Zadorov looking for? Do you take what you'd offer both of those guys and throw it at one player like Pesce or Hanafin? I think we move off of Brodie but what if he's willing to stick around for cheap?

EIther way, even with Willy at $11m I think the next two years has the potential to keep the core intact while finally addressing the D

I personally dont see Timmins here next year as he does not fit the mold of a Brad Dman

Got a feeling this Dcore gonna get a makeover this summer

I think Brad's gonna go out and add at least one or two guys for the top 4

Roy, Demelo, Pesce, Tanev, etc.

Than add someone for the third pair on a cheap deal (2m max) like Dumba or Hakinpaa

Which sounds appealing

As for LW I think there are gonna be reasonably priced options in FA who will be good

Henrique be on my radar rn as he seems like a nice.

But yea I think the offseason besides Willy the main theme will be revamping this Dcore and that to me will be very interesting

If Brad goes out and gets Matt Roy and Dylan Demelo I will be a very happy camper

Moving on to Robertson I dont see him as the issue but Keefe. Get a new HC and he probs would get more ice

As how are u not rewarding that third line. They have a higher XGF% then the top line lul

Quit playing them like they a 4th line
4 janv. à 17 h 38
Leafs going to Leafs
I've definitely heard him in the conversation, not something I'm losing sleep over. He's 18pts behind the points leader which usually dominates the Hart ballot unless something spectacular is achieved. 70 goals would certainly be that. McDavid will dominate the convo and Hughes will get a lot of air time because he's the new name in the mix.

I haven't, so hoping he gets the recognition he deserves and hoping he gets announced as the Leafs rep in the all star game today
4 janv. à 18 h 55
Rip

He scored 87 points last season while getting less ice time any anyone else in that point range. He's definitely an elite player but Treliving lost this battle soundly. When Willy's team said 10 before the season started Treliving should have said 9.2 and hoped they came down from there. But instead he said less than 9 and Willy said, alright we'll put it on hold for now. And then just tore the league apart. The good thing though, is Willy still can get better. His consistency isn't as good as some other guys and if he really focusses on giving his full commitment to giving 100% all the time, he can still be better than he is this season. So I agree, his contract won't be a problem. But it could have been better and that's entirely on Treliving

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage