Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

21 déc. 2023 à 21 h 48
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,118
Modifié 21 déc. 2023 à 22 h 5
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I know a lot of people will want a trade after that loss, but what Leafs fans need to realise is that Brad Treliving is not the type of GM to make a panic trade.

Last year at the TDL, he added Dryden Hunt and Nick Ritchie. He didn't panic and sell the farm, but he also didn't go all in on a mediocre team. We are riddled with injuries at the moment and are yet to see what our blueline is like fully healthy. I wouldnt expect a trade for a defenseman until we know what we've got. The issue at the moment is Goaltending. Samsonov needs to be better, and to be completely honest I don't think he can right now. Jones is notoriously streaky, and I for one hope he stays our 3rd string goalie and not our backup. The goalie market is going to be a bloodbath this season, so why not look to a guy like Hildeby? Ride the hot hand, he's been unbelievable with the Marlies (plus Cavallin could use some time in the AHL). He's also not as young as people think he is, he was drafted in his 3rd eligible draft year after all.

I for one would love to see the Leafs go out and get Noah Hanifin (if the Flames sell off their assets) and another impact forward that Keefe will actually play. Tonight's loss was a tough pill to swallow, but who said the road to the Cup is easy. Can't win all 82, so let's just see what happens next

Were people really expecting a panic trade, come on when will they learn

Tonight was Classic

Leafs vs. non contender playdown syndrome

No trade will save them from this except maybe if they add McDavid and Draisaitl lul.

Anyways hope a trade comes soon just dont know if it would fix the end result for these kinds of games

But hey gimmie a Hanafin and Larsson
21 déc. 2023 à 21 h 56
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,299
Quoting: mondo
rough game. toronto needs to stop being so prone to getting concaved by buffalo. this definitely isn't the first time they've routed them.

I'd rather have more Domis on the team. Dude is not a defensive stalwart but he shows a lot of tenacity and would run through a wall for this team. He doesn't "fit" because for a long time the bottom six has been a wasteland of defensive forwards picked out for metrics and tough guy hasbeens, not a lot of guys who can put the puck in the net. This is how the change the identity of a team, you don't keep going back to what clearly hasn't been working.

Jonas is one of the reasons paying for The Athletic isn't worth it. He's a glorified beat writer and never has any interesting takes, and was hired because of his name recognition and not because he was a competent and compelling reporter. His ass-kissing of Dubas in the summer when he got fired was extremely pathetic as well.

I'm not saying they should go back to what hasn't been working, I'm just not that high on Domi. He gives a lot back defensively, I think his toughness/tenacity is overrated, and there's only been one slot in this lineup where he's even kind of worked. Like I said, I didn't read the article and I don't really care to tbh, the reaction was just way bigger than I ever would have thought for suggesting that.
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
21 déc. 2023 à 21 h 59
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
rough game. toronto needs to stop being so prone to getting concaved by buffalo. this definitely isn't the first time they've routed them.

I'd rather have more Domis on the team. Dude is not a defensive stalwart but he shows a lot of tenacity and would run through a wall for this team. He doesn't "fit" because for a long time the bottom six has been a wasteland of defensive forwards picked out for metrics and tough guy hasbeens, not a lot of guys who can put the puck in the net. This is how the change the identity of a team, you don't keep going back to what clearly hasn't been working.

Jonas is one of the reasons paying for The Athletic isn't worth it. He's a glorified beat writer and never has any interesting takes, and was hired because of his name recognition and not because he was a competent and compelling reporter. His ass-kissing of Dubas in the summer when he got fired was extremely pathetic as well.

If science could explain why this team forgets to play hockey vs. a non contender year after year (especially Buffalo) the person behind it would win a noble prize

As man I thought the CBJ game was bad they one upped themselves lul

And at this point it was so predictable its getting beyond sad

Anyways move on to Saturday oh wait its CBJ

Were in for a rough week lul
21 déc. 2023 à 22 h 9
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,678
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I'm not saying they should go back to what hasn't been working, I'm just not that high on Domi. He gives a lot back defensively, I think his toughness/tenacity is overrated, and there's only been one slot in this lineup where he's even kind of worked. Like I said, I didn't read the article and I don't really care to tbh, the reaction was just way bigger than I ever would have thought for suggesting that.

Domi has worked well anywhere at centre, both in the B6 or top 6. I don't get what the issue is here. If you want a more defensive line, look at kampf or have a top 6 two-way line
21 déc. 2023 à 22 h 11
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,962
Remember your basic math in finding "the common denominator"
So if you look at tonights game as 3 - 1 Sabres win....so they doesn't sound so bad does it, as opposed to 9 - 3.
21 déc. 2023 à 22 h 19
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
Remember your basic math in finding "the common denominator"
So if you look at tonights game as 3 - 1 Sabres win....so they doesn't sound so bad does it, as opposed to 9 - 3.

Yep

But if they win and drop 10 F the critics it counts as 10 even against a non contender
21 déc. 2023 à 22 h 27
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,962
I've never been in favour bringing in a Marlie goalie under difficult situations. But maybe it's time to bring up Hildeby if for the only reason that it might wake the other 23 Leafs.
Random2152 a aimé ceci.
21 déc. 2023 à 22 h 40
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
I've never been in favour bringing in a Marlie goalie under difficult situations. But maybe it's time to bring up Hildeby if for the only reason that it might wake the other 23 Leafs.

Trust me its a disaster waiting to happen

This is his first full season in NA and hes a very sensitive goalie. Dont want another Kaskisuo situation

Barden explains it best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCSJCVI3nk

3:20 talk of him starts

Both goalies got the play down treatment by the team in front. Doubt Hildeby would fix it
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
21 déc. 2023 à 22 h 52
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,243
I know a lot of people will want a trade after that loss, but what Leafs fans need to realise is that Brad Treliving is not the type of GM to make a panic trade.

Last year at the TDL, he added Dryden Hunt and Nick Ritchie. He didn't panic and sell the farm, but he also didn't go all in on a mediocre team. We are riddled with injuries at the moment and are yet to see what our blueline is like fully healthy. I wouldnt expect a trade for a defenseman until we know what we've got. The issue at the moment is Goaltending. Samsonov needs to be better, and to be completely honest I don't think he can right now. Jones is notoriously streaky, and I for one hope he stays our 3rd string goalie and not our backup. The goalie market is going to be a bloodbath this season, so why not look to a guy like Hildeby? Ride the hot hand, he's been unbelievable with the Marlies (plus Cavallin could use some time in the AHL). He's also not as young as people think he is, he was drafted in his 3rd eligible draft year after all.

I for one would love to see the Leafs go out and get Noah Hanifin (if the Flames sell off their assets) and another impact forward that Keefe will actually play. Tonight's loss was a tough pill to swallow, but who said the road to the Cup is easy. Can't win all 82, so let's just see what happens next

Agree with pretty much everything except Hildeby. He should not be playing games, it’s too much of a risk for his development. Let him at least finish out the season in the marlies unless 2 of our top 3 goalies are injured at once.
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
21 déc. 2023 à 23 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Agree with pretty much everything except Hildeby. He should not be playing games, it’s too much of a risk for his development. Let him at least finish out the season in the marlies unless 2 of our top 3 goalies are injured at once.

Yep as I fear we see another Kaskisuo we call him up for CBJ and its 6-1 CBJ

Let the kid cook like Woll

He didnt come up for a while and look how it turned out for him
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
22 déc. 2023 à 1 h 48
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,108
Alright so here are some of the guys I think the Leafs should go out and get:

1. Noah Hanifin
- Should be the #1 target if available
- Game changer on the blue line

2. Anthony Duclair
- Speedy scoring winger to shore up scoring depth
- More reliable scorer than Robertson at this point

3. Matthew Benning (Currently injured, should be good by the TDL)
- Defensively sound third pairing guy
- Plays with bite
- Great contract

4. Walker Duehr
- High upside bottom sixer
- Great speed and forechecking
- More offensive upside than McMann

5.Alex Texier
- Currently relegated to Columbus' 4th line
- So much offensive talent
- Could be a long term addition
- I love his game

6. Connor Dewar / Brandon Duhaime
- Both guys are fast and physical
- Good defensive metrics
- Would make the 4th line fantastic

7. Alexey Toropchenko
- Lots of upside
- Huge frame, still relatively young

8. Dillon Dube
- Could be a good buy low target
- Good center depth

9. Max Jones
- Physical, still relatively young
- Has shown flashes of some skill, good upside for a bottom 6 grinder
22 déc. 2023 à 2 h 4
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 22 déc. 2023 à 2 h 10

1. Noah Hanifin

2. Anthony Duclair

- Plays with bite
- Great contract

4. Walker Duehr

5.Alex Texier
- I love his game

- Good defensive metrics

7. Alexey Toropchenko
- Lots of upside

8. Dillon Dube
- Good center depth

9. Max Jones

Honestly gimmie a deal where Dube + Tanev or Hanafin go to Toronto and Robertson, Timmins and picks go the other way

Dube and Jarnkrok can help with Domi's non defense, you get someone who can play PK and be anywhere in the lineup, and is a very strong bounceback candidate

Hanafin or Tanev are for the following. Make the Dcore better as to help the goalies try and get better. More help = more stops

Cause man if im looking rn

Robertson, Timmins and Liligren may not be here after or even before the TDL

Now for Liligren teams gonna have to have something really nice sitting there but the other two I could see gone

Other guys to look at but with an *

Fabbro, Trenin, and Sherwood
22 déc. 2023 à 2 h 13
Amirov Forever
Mentions "j'aime": 6,108
Quoting: aadoyle
Honestly gimmie a deal where Dube + Tanev or Hanafin go to Toronto and Robertson, Timmins and picks go the other way

Dube and Jarnkrok can help with Domi's non defense, you get someone who can play PK and be anywhere in the lineup, and is a very strong bounceback candidate

Hanafin or Tanev are for the following. Make the Dcore better as to help the goalies try and get better. More help = more stops

Cause man if im looking rn

Robertson, Timmins and Liligren may not be here after or even before the TDL

Now for Liligren teams gonna have to have something really nice sitting there but the other two I could see gone

Other guys to look at but with an *

Fabbro, Trenin, and Sherwood

Liljegren has been fantastic this year and moving him would be a tremendous mistake. I'm also not sold on Tanev. Pending UFA on the wrong side of 30 who required retention to obtain. He's a guy I'd have interest in if we already had a sweet top 4, but we don't. Making him the priority would be a mistake. I could see Robertson getting dealt to address the blue line simply because Keefe doesn't seem to like deploying the kid. Moving him would be a big mistake, but doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

Fabbro and Trenin would be awesome, just not convinced Nashville will be selling
22 déc. 2023 à 2 h 18
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming

1. Noah Hanifin

2. Anthony Duclair

- Plays with bite
- Great contract

4. Walker Duehr

5.Alex Texier
- I love his game

- Good defensive metrics

7. Alexey Toropchenko
- Lots of upside

8. Dillon Dube
- Good center depth

9. Max Jones

I'd like to add fabbro, B Tanev, and Broberg to that list
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
22 déc. 2023 à 2 h 18
Hakuna Matata
Liljegren has been fantastic this year and moving him would be a tremendous mistake. I'm also not sold on Tanev. Pending UFA on the wrong side of 30 who required retention to obtain. He's a guy I'd have interest in if we already had a sweet top 4, but we don't. Making him the priority would be a mistake. I could see Robertson getting dealt to address the blue line simply because Keefe doesn't seem to like deploying the kid. Moving him would be a big mistake, but doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

Fabbro and Trenin would be awesome, just not convinced Nashville will be selling

I dont want to move Liligren but it may be needed to get a deal done or maybe Brad's really gonna revamp this blue line. Like for Hanafin got to think CGY gonna want Lily for instance.

Hes not in my must move but he may help move the needle to get a strong deal done

As for NSH yea got a feeling we in for another 2021 special. Remember Granlund lul we wanted him nope NSH barely squeaks in
22 déc. 2023 à 2 h 19
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: aadoyle
I dont want to move Liligren but it may be needed to get a deal done or maybe Brad's really gonna revamp this blue line with more than 2 additions

Hes not in my must move but he may help move the needle to get a strong deal done

As for NSH yea got a feeling we in for another 2021 special. Remember Granlund lul we wanted him nope NSH barely squeeks in

If we're going to move lily, I think in most cases it makes most sense to do it in the off season
22 déc. 2023 à 2 h 25
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 22 déc. 2023 à 2 h 32
Quoting: Random2152
If we're going to move lily, I think in most cases it makes most sense to do it in the off season

To me it kind of depends whose coming back

Hanafin for instance got to think hes part of a deal and to me if Hanafin is gonna extend here to thats fine

Other guys

Chycrun, Marino, Larsson, Girard, and M.Pettersson could also see.

But yea im suspecting 2 potential big moves could be coming but unlike last TDL where it was rental based this could be term based
22 déc. 2023 à 7 h 38
Domi has worked well anywhere at centre, both in the B6 or top 6. I don't get what the issue is here. If you want a more defensive line, look at kampf or have a top 6 two-way line

I mean he's played one game at C in the top 6 and it's not like that role is going to be available to him, but, fair point. It's not that I want a pure defensive 3rd line, it's just that we've got a 4th line that is a heaping pile of nothing and I'd like at least one utility line outside the top 6 that can be trusted in any situation. If they can figure out the 4th line I'd be much more content with an all offense 3rd line.
22 déc. 2023 à 8 h 4
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I mean he's played one game at C in the top 6 and it's not like that role is going to be available to him, but, fair point. It's not that I want a pure defensive 3rd line, it's just that we've got a 4th line that is a heaping pile of nothing and I'd like at least one utility line outside the top 6 that can be trusted in any situation. If they can figure out the 4th line I'd be much more content with an all offense 3rd line.

Seems much easier to do that rather than jettison a perfectly cromulent offensive 3rd line then no? Depth scoring is important and we have an option for it. Lets not throw it away because other aspects of the roster aren't working in an ideal manner
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
22 déc. 2023 à 10 h 42
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
My takes:

- Domi was gawd awful the first month or so...played like a lost puppy...but he's been quite solid and consistent the last little while...I think if they can extend him for around the same salary over 3ish years...and with a rising cap...that would be a good signing...we need guys like him and Jarnkrok that can produce on a 3rd line and move up for short bouts when needed....but generally he's not a difference maker and our fan base has a tendency to want to run those guys out of town unless they're making close to league min (see Alex Kerfoot)

- Samsonov has been terrible. You can't chalk up his bad play to "only giving him games against weaker teams that the Leafs generally don't play well against". He's letting in bad goals. Worse...he's letting in bad goals in moments when we need him to come up with a key stop. If any of you have played team sports....you know how demoralizing it can be if you have one guy that is constantly putting your chances of competing in the game in peril (like an OF who can't track a fly ball or a WR who drops a pass in the numbers). He's absolutely unplayable right now. He's shook. I also hear there may be a drinking issue with him...but the frequency of goals (and I'm not just talking about the volume of goals he lets in)....but when they're going in and the time in between when the next one goes in...it absolutely sinks a team. Look...I used to play goalie...and of course not nearly at as high a level as sammy...but when you start to lose confidence you start questioning everything you're doing...your angles...do you come out and be aggressive or be conservative...you start tighten up and rebound control goes...you think more and react less and goals go in that would otherwise be routine...a confident goalie fights through screens...sammy isn't doing that...you can see how he's overreacting (or reacting a fraction too late) to situations and sliding out of position....and we are not a team in a position where we can hold his hand while he finds himself...it's gotta be Jones' net for the next little while

- I'm kinda done with Timmins, too. We probably need to wait until Gio is back or a trade is made...but you can't trust this guy in a playoff game. Great offensive upside but too many boneheaded mistakes

- There's a trade freeze right now to Dec. 28th...so there won't be any panic trades after 2 awful games...but I do get the feeling that Brad will be working the phones a little more in the coming week or two. It's his first year...so I don't think he has a tremendous amount of pressure to fix everything now...and I don't think he'll be looking to trade 1st rounders or our best prospects for short term fixes...especially with the potential quality of D-men coming available in free agency....but I think he HAS to do something...the offence has been great and he needs to do something on the blueline to show the other guys in the dressing room that he's committed to giving them a chance to win this year.

I can see something where we trade our 3rd + a player (timmins or okayish prospect) to upgrade to a 2nd rounder...and that 2nd rounder is what we use, with maybe another prospect, to bring in a pending UFA right-shot d-man...this way we're keeping our 1st round pick and top prospects...giving a boost to this year's d-core...and then letttng Brad re-shape our blueline in the off-season with the potential of Hanafin, Pesce, Tanev, Zadorov, Brodie, etc.). I'd like to stick with Lilly...he's improved every year...depends on what the re-sign price is looking like but I think it would be risk-adverse to keep him through the deadline...but if there's another RHD with some term that is an improvement...I'm ok if he needs to be part of the package going the other way.
Saskleaf et Random2152 a aimé ceci.
22 déc. 2023 à 12 h 14
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
Modifié 22 déc. 2023 à 14 h 52
Going to keep pumping this out there, unless Treliving looks at add someone with significant term that can grow with the team, I pray he just stands pat.

Too many issues to fix in season
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
22 déc. 2023 à 13 h 58
Sadness
Mentions "j'aime": 982
On a more positive note, Noah Chadwick has had a career season this season and got himself an ELC.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
22 déc. 2023 à 14 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Man Saturday gonna be rough as we got CBJ another lottery team

Whoever in net pray for em as unless we get a Christmas miracle the wolves are coming
22 déc. 2023 à 16 h 8
Hakuna Matata
Been debating a trade for a while

Robertson for Broberg

Now if this happens Broberg goes to the Marlies and the main reason the 850k bonus he has for being at the NHL level. Let him cook down there, sign him cheaper then have him up for 2024-2025 as our third pair LD

We then go trade for someone like Dube, Texier, Trenin, etc to play on the third line with Domi and Jarnkrok

So basically the main idea rn is 3 trades

Timmins + 2024 1st + 2026 3rd for Larsson

Robertson for Broberg

2024 3rd for 3rd line LW
22 déc. 2023 à 17 h 31
Seems much easier to do that rather than jettison a perfectly cromulent offensive 3rd line then no? Depth scoring is important and we have an option for it. Lets not throw it away because other aspects of the roster aren't working in an ideal manner

F*ck you for making me google "cromulent" lol

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage