SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

9 janv. à 21 h 14
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,652
Quoting: RipNasty
McCabe was bad in the first round as well. And brutal to start this season. He's been better recently but he's 3rd pair guy. We need a true shutdown guy but who that is? I don't know.

Yeah I don't know either...the problem tho...is this roster is again going to be top heavy, something most of the people here are just glossing over.

It's like the last 6 years all over again.
9 janv. à 21 h 18
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,110
Modifié 9 janv. à 21 h 42
McCabe was bad in the first round as well. And brutal to start this season. He's been better recently but he's 3rd pair guy. We need a true shutdown guy but who that is? I don't know.

Well he was paired with a pylon. But to be fair that pylon was also hurt and sucked at defense. But since he was back from injury hes been a solid 2nd pair guy on both his strong and offside

Basically why waste cap space and money for something we already have. Go get him a nice partner to make a shutdown pair at the TDL as there are pretty good options rn . As we dont got a tonne of cap to work with so got to use it wisely

Cause yea for third pair just use Benoit whose earned it
9 janv. à 21 h 28
Hakuna Matata
2024-2025 is Benoit's time to shine full time

Gio will be gone and that third pair LD spot is perfect for him.

Also talk to Jones about an extension before he costs more than 1.5m lul
9 janv. à 21 h 38
Hakuna Matata
Nice to see the Leafs bully a team there supposed to lul

Seems they finally get it

Anyways they got tougher games ahead

Also congrats to Marner lul

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1744908548033671450?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
9 janv. à 21 h 54
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,157
Quoting: oneX
Yeah I don't know either...the problem tho...is this roster is again going to be top heavy, something most of the people here are just glossing over.

I don't think it's as big a deal as many think it is. And it's shorter term. Once JT's deal gets cut in half, the Leafs will have a lot more space to add defence. There may be better options available down the road.
9 janv. à 21 h 58
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Well he was paired with a pylon. But to be fair that pylon was also hurt and sucked at defense. But since he was back from injury hes been a solid 2nd pair guy on both his strong and offside

Basically why waste cap space and money for something we already have. Go get him a nice partner to make a shutdown pair at the TDL as there are pretty good options rn . As we dont got a tonne of cap to work with so got to use it wisely

Cause yea for third pair just use Benoit whose earned it

I do like how much Liljegren is playing and he's playing well. I am not sure I trust McCabe more than Rielly to be a shutdown defenceman. Or Brodie. I am not happy with the defence this season and I am not sure what I want them to do. If you can get Tanev for not too much, then go for it. I am fine if they stand pat or just make a minor move.
9 janv. à 22 h 6
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 9 janv. à 22 h 30
I do like how much Liljegren is playing and he's playing well. I am not sure I trust McCabe more than Rielly to be a shutdown defenceman. Or Brodie. I am not happy with the defence this season and I am not sure what I want them to do. If you can get Tanev for not too much, then go for it. I am fine if they stand pat or just make a minor move.

In general Rielly has been good but hes not really in the convo of shutdown guy as hes mainly an offensive Dman. If he was wow amazing at defense like Toews or other top guys you could potentially have him in the convo.

Rielly-Brodie isnt a shutdown pair more so a stable pair. He eats up mins but thats what a #1 D should do (just done go overboard). Brodie just plays good defense thats it

McCabe-Larsson or Tanev for instance thats a shutdown pair either pairing is one I would trust to go up against teams top lines especially if we can somehow pry Larsson from SEA lul

As hes got another year left at 4m and is a nice top 4 RD

Liligren and Gio have looked good as always so would keep them together
9 janv. à 22 h 22
Démarrer sujet
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,677
Quoting: oneX

All the good teams are top heavy. That isn't an issue. It's a star driven league, and stars win cups no matter how much the media or your uncle try and tell you Barclay goodrow won the bolts their cups
oneX a aimé ceci.
10 janv. à 0 h 10
Hakuna Matata
If Bertuzzi leaves in FA would love to try and get Coleman out of CGY
10 janv. à 1 h 17
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,652
Quoting: Random2152
All the good teams are top heavy. That isn't an issue. It's a star driven league, and stars win cups no matter how much the media or your uncle try and tell you Barclay goodrow won the bolts their cups

Agree to disagree on all top teams are top heavy. The Tampa example had top forwards but also had enough combinations of skill and grit on the bottom lines to keep opponents on their toes while the stars found ways to make a difference.

With the Leafs, the 2 other lines just haven't made the same kind of difference and I see it as a lack of balance on the roster.
10 janv. à 9 h 58
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,105
Apparently the Leafs have shown interest in KHL free agent Maxim Tsyplakov, along with the Coyotes, Bruins, and the Red Wings. Super versatile winger with good number this season. Great skater and a guy who throws a lot of hits while also playing all situations. He's got a pretty big frame, this would be an excellent signing
Leafsfan98, Juice et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
10 janv. à 9 h 58
Leafs going to Leafs
Mentions "j'aime": 3,059
Or resign a Selke calibre superstar.

We already resigned Auston Matthews, haven't you heard?
10 janv. à 10 h 3
Leafs going to Leafs
I don't think it's as big a deal as many think it is. And it's shorter term. Once JT's deal gets cut in half, the Leafs will have a lot more space to add defence. There may be better options available down the road.

e.g. Chychrun, Hedman, Provorov, Slavin, Theodore, Orlov, Lindell, Ekblad,
10 janv. à 10 h 8
Leafs going to Leafs
Leafs are 7-1-0 against teams in the Pacific division...

Leafs are 11-2-2 against Western teams

Tells me some of the teams at the top are fraudulent... Looking at you Vancouver and Winnipeg
10 janv. à 12 h 13
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
Knies hurt at practice this morning. frown
10 janv. à 12 h 15
Amirov Forever
Mentions "j'aime": 6,105
Quoting: Juice
Knies hurt at practice this morning. frown

Did Muzzin drop the shoulder in practice again? Looks like we're heading back to first line Noah Gregor
10 janv. à 12 h 21
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Did Muzzin drop the shoulder in practice again? Looks like we're heading back to first line Noah Gregor

ya...haven't seen a clip of what happened...the aftermath is all over twitter and doesn't look great. He needed a fait bit of help to get up and off the ice.
10 janv. à 12 h 28
Sadness
Mentions "j'aime": 982
Quoting: Juice
ya...haven't seen a clip of what happened...the aftermath is all over twitter and doesn't look great. He needed a fait bit of help to get up and off the ice.

How bad does it look?
10 janv. à 12 h 58
Quoting: CameronSquires
How bad does it look?

Not great. Needs help getting up to his feet and then...from what I could tell...he's not putting any weight on his left leg
10 janv. à 13 h 0
FWIW....Robertson apparently took his spot in practice on the top line
10 janv. à 13 h 2
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Nah, Gregor is sick... Pontus Holmberg, you are a 1LW
10 janv. à 13 h 4
Leafs going to Leafs
Saw the play, looks like he rolled he is ankle... Hoping it doesn't end up as a fractured one, but it looks like an ankle injury... Hoping for low sprain or rolled but who knows

BTW, the play itself was just unlucky as he slipped on McMann's stick with his right ankle and rolled his left one but IDK as I'm no doctor
10 janv. à 13 h 6
In other exciting news....we've recalled Samsonov....still would've liked Hildeby to have snuck a game in but also undertand that Jones has been very solid and the Leafs need to keep up this momentum....hopefully the kid enjoyed his brief call-up.

I'm guessing they give him Sunday v Detroit? Or feed him to the Avs and give Jones the easier matchup?
10 janv. à 13 h 43
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
e.g. Chychrun, Hedman, Provorov, Slavin, Theodore, Orlov, Lindell, Ekblad,

Yup and you aren't getting that type of player by trading Nylander or Marner
10 janv. à 13 h 49
Leafs going to Leafs
Yup and you aren't getting that type of player by trading Nylander or Marner

I mean you certainly can... Marner and Nylander both having more value... But wait and see how they do this year... go after a defence at TDL; preferably Hanifin but others work like Ferraro... and hope too see this team do what we all know they can do

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage