SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

6 janv. à 22 h 8
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,111
So supposedly Nylander and the Leafs are closing in on an 8 year extension that would carry an AAV of something around ~11.5m.

It seems like an overpay (and is to some extent), and while I would've preferred something in the range of Forsbergs 8.5m (closer to 9.5), I'm not going to cry over a 2 mil overpay for someone of Nylanders pedigree. All this means is that we will NOT be addressing the blue line or the Goaltending in any significant way this TDL or this summer. Those will have to come the season after next when JTs deal is up. My guess is that we are standing pat at the TDL, maybe we'll see Tre deal for a physical fourth liner to fill the niche Reaves couldn't, because McMann isn't it
oneX a aimé ceci.
6 janv. à 22 h 12
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,120
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
So supposedly Nylander and the Leafs are closing in on an 8 year extension that would carry an AAV of something around ~11.5m.

It seems like an overpay (and is to some extent), and while I would've preferred something in the range of Forsbergs 8.5m (closer to 9.5), I'm not going to cry over a 2 mil overpay for someone of Nylanders pedigree. All this means is that we will NOT be addressing the blue line or the Goaltending in any significant way this TDL or this summer. Those will have to come the season after next when JTs deal is up. My guess is that we are standing pat at the TDL, maybe we'll see Tre deal for a physical fourth liner to fill the niche Reaves couldn't, because McMann isn't it

Leafs can still address the blue line this TDL and Summer

Willy making 11.5m does not change anything

Its not like they just have 2m to spend in the offseason lul.

We got Klingberg's LTIR money to work with and if u keep Sammy down thats 5.9m to use this TDL

Then in the summer they have 23m

Goaltending = Woll and pick the 2m tandem/backup and probs Hildeby as the #3

Cause yea Jones is giving good value at 825k and giving goalies lots of money be voodo rn

Just as OTT and Korpisalo
6 janv. à 22 h 24
Hakuna Matata
pic.png
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
6 janv. à 22 h 26
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Leafs can still address the blue line this TDL and Summer

Willy making 11.5m does not change anything

Its not like they just have 2m to spend in the offseason lul.

We got Klingberg's LTIR money to work with and if u keep Sammy down thats 5.9m to use this TDL

Then in the summer they have 23m

Goaltending = Woll and pick the 2m tandem/backup and probs Hildeby as the #3

Cause yea Jones is giving good value at 825k and giving goalies lots of money be voodo rn

Just as OTT and Korpisalo

How so? Let's assume both Domi and Bertuzzi are re-signed, (4.5m and 6m respectively), Liljegren gets a long term Rasmus Andersson type extension (4.75m × 5/6 years), and Nylander comes in at 11.5m. Add this to Matthews' new deal and you've got 5.3m to address goaltending and 2 defensemen. Nothing impactful will come of this money. I could totally see one of those defense spots going to Niemela, and ~2 mil going to a goalie like Talbot with the leftover 3 mil going to stop gap defenseman. Still a long ways away from next season, but can't help but feel like committing ~55 mil to 5 players will handcuff us when it comes to addressing areas of significant need
oneX a aimé ceci.
6 janv. à 22 h 26
Hakuna Matata
How so? Let's assume both Domi and Bertuzzi are re-signed, (4.5m and 6m respectively), Liljegren gets a long term Rasmus Andersson type extension (4.75m × 5/6 years), and Nylander comes in at 11.5m. Add this to Matthews' new deal and you've got 5.3m to address goaltending and 2 defensemen. Nothing impactful will come of this money. I could totally see one of those defense spots going to Niemela, and ~2 mil going to a goalie like Talbot with the leftover 3 mil going to stop gap defenseman. Still a long ways away from next season, but can't help but feel like committing ~55 mil to 5 players will handcuff us when it comes to addressing areas of significant need

Bertuzzi's gone there is no realistic way to keep him unless he takes a massive discount (4.25m x 6 years like Arvidsson) and I dont think he wants to be here. Got a feeling hes going back to BOS. Thats where he always wanted to be

As shown above Leafs can add and still be interesting even with Willy at 11.5m. Just means moving on from Bertuzzi but yea its kind of a given lul

Brad's comments especially highlight his plans "Dcore is a work in progress"

Hes got Rielly, McCabe and Timmins (doubt hes around) going into next year and has to extend Lily and Benoit and add 2 RD

Cause yea in the end to me one of Bertuzzi or Domi is gone. Brodie is for sure gone unless he takes a massive discount
oneX a aimé ceci.
6 janv. à 22 h 26
Amirov Forever
pic.png

Yes to Haydn Fleury (except actually play him please)
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
6 janv. à 22 h 29
Hakuna Matata
Yes to Haydn Fleury (except actually play him please)

He and Benoit can rotate

I mainly chose him randomly. But would also not mind Lagesson or if we dont do trenin bringing up Kokkonen

Cause yea could go cheaper 4th line LW and use someone better extra Dman wise
6 janv. à 22 h 35
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,062
Quoting: Saskleaf
Ok as you said yourself not as good. So not a direct replacement. But if your suggesting he could replace Nylander spot in the lineup, maybe but I’m not 100% convinced..

that's exactly what I'm saying
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
6 janv. à 22 h 46
Amirov Forever
Seeing Benoit and Lagesson find success in Keefes system gives me a ton of hope for Rifai finding a footing next season. I'd love to see him get a look with the Leafs
oneX a aimé ceci.
6 janv. à 22 h 48
Rip
Mentions "j'aime": 3,158
Quoting: Leafsfan98
You are describing Nylander to a certain extent...

Nylander isn't better than: Marner, Kuch, Pasta, Tkachuk, Robertson, Kaprizov, Svech, Barzal, Panarin, Ovi, Rantanen, K Connor, Bratt off the top of my head... That puts him 12-15 range at best

Another 3 point night. Come on
6 janv. à 22 h 53
Rip
Ok as you said yourself not as good. So not a direct replacement. But if your suggesting he could replace Nylander spot in the lineup, maybe but I’m not 100% convinced.

Based on what exactly? Just because of underlying numbers? Because I’m not convinced.

Again, don’t get me wrong. I love Willy. I hope we can get to him come back on a deal under 10 mil. But he’s not worth over 11 mil no matter what way you slice it.

Leaf fans almost deserve him getting trade for a poor return and watch him be this good or better for 4-5 years and still very good for 2-3 more. Another 3 point night. It honestly makes me feel shame
6 janv. à 23 h 31
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,243
Quoting: RipNasty
Leaf fans almost deserve him getting trade for a poor return and watch him be this good or better for 4-5 years and still very good for 2-3 more. Another 3 point night. It honestly makes me feel shame

Again, based on what? Also in what world would he get a “poor return” right now? If the leafs make him available he will be the best player on the market.
oneX a aimé ceci.
7 janv. à 0 h 9
Rip
Again, based on what? Also in what world would he get a “poor return” right now? If the leafs make him available he will be the best player on the market.

Because he is unsigned. And what's available? The Leafs lose every Nylander trade
7 janv. à 1 h 20
Hakuna Matata
Seeing Benoit and Lagesson find success in Keefes system gives me a ton of hope for Rifai finding a footing next season. I'd love to see him get a look with the Leafs

Gonna be tricky as he has to jump those two and Kokkonen who Keefe heavily praised in training camp
7 janv. à 9 h 6
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 102

Leafs could have 4 of the top 10 salaries in the NHL next year.
7 janv. à 9 h 21
Rip

Then you don't resign Bertuzzi or Domi. You can find some depth that'll work for less and prioritize defence instead.
7 janv. à 9 h 36
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,243
Because he is unsigned. And what's available? The Leafs lose every Nylander trade

He’s on pace for like over 115 points, he’d get a bigger return than any rental in recent memory (bigger than Horvat, ORielly, Orlov, etc. it would be massive)
oneX a aimé ceci.
7 janv. à 9 h 43
Rip
He’s on pace for like over 115 points, he’d get a bigger return than any rental in recent memory (bigger than Horvat, ORielly, Orlov, etc. it would be massive)

Horvat didn't get a very good return. A 1st and a prospect that doesn't look all that great. So you want to trade him for a mid to late 1st and a prospect. Just tragically bad asset management. Nylander is an elite player. He may well be more talented than anyone on TO. Including Matthews. His consistency is always the one issue he has and he's put that issue to bed. This is Willy, trading this player is just insane
7 janv. à 10 h 52
Rip
Quoting: Messier99

4 1 season and there are some monster contracts coming down the road as well. Petterson is getting 12+, McDavid and Draisaitl get new deals soon as well. Lots of really good players will be getting major raises soon.
7 janv. à 10 h 53
Rip
Gonna be tricky as he has to jump those two and Kokkonen who Keefe heavily praised in training camp

Keefe also just refuses to use certain players so any young player likely has a hard time cracking the lineup. Liljegren for example just will never get Keefe on his side. Timmins has won his minutes more than anyone else on the Blueline but won't play because of Keefe. Kokkonen? Never in a million years with Keefe as coach.
7 janv. à 11 h 12
Leafs going to Leafs
Another 3 point night. Come on

And which point was really showing to me that he's an 11 mill player and isn't on a line with JT and Bert
7 janv. à 12 h 5
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
And which point was really showing to me that he's an 11 mill player and isn't on a line with JT and Bert

So it's Bert and JT that have made Nylander this good. There is no reason here eh?
7 janv. à 12 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 7 janv. à 13 h 10
Quoting: Messier99

Could I think u mean are gonna lul

Hes gonna at least get 10.5-11.5m unless he goes you know what **** it 9.5m

That puts him up there and man if hes getting 11.5m what Marner's ask gonna be 12.5m

Will say this though Willy better pray that this lvl of play continues beyond this year. Otherwise like Marner in the early years leafs nation gonna turn on him. As if he goes back to inconsistent Willy things gonna get ugly fast
7 janv. à 13 h 8
Leafs going to Leafs
So it's Bert and JT that have made Nylander this good. There is no reason here eh?

It's called Nylander has a huge advantage having two workhorse who feed him the puck in advantageous situations...

Like streaking down the wing or in front of the net with the goalie down
7 janv. à 14 h 58
average joe
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 102
Could I think u mean are gonna lul

Hes gonna at least get 10.5-11.5m unless he goes you know what **** it 9.5m

That puts him up there and man if hes getting 11.5m what Marner's ask gonna be 12.5m

Will say this though Willy better pray that this lvl of play continues beyond this year. Otherwise like Marner in the early years leafs nation gonna turn on him. As if he goes back to inconsistent Willy things gonna get ugly fast

Maybe, if Leafs lose everything on the salary front, the key is to get a NMC for the first 5 years (hope the player truly believes they are part of a cup team) and M-NTC for the last 3 (so Leafs can do a rebuild if needed).

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage