SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

23 août 2023 à 13 h 31
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,638
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Looks like kinda medium term the oilers can afford nurse, ekholm, Bouchard, Ceci/Kulak, and Broberg.

That’s some extremely good cap management when you consider the team has McDrai and Kane and Nuge and Hyman

And they still have 5 out of the next 6 of their 1st or 2nd round picks. So they could dig deeper.

idk I kinda think the cap management has been pretty bad.

They have McDavid and Draisaitl, on really good contracts rn,and have completely wasted them with signing bloated contracts, Nurse is about 2-3m overpaid, Campbell is about 3m overpaid, Kulak and Ceci should probably be cheaper.

They got rid of Yamamoto and Kostin for nothing because they couldn't afford them, and have struggled to be cap compliant with even a 20 man roster the last 2 years.

Drai and McDavid will both be able to command market setting contracts, with the cap going up which is just gonna handicap EDM even more.

This will be an unpopular take, but I think they should be selling high on Draisaitl next offseason with an extension, they avoid the monsterous raise Draisaitl is likely getting for the back half of his career and could do a lot more damage with the assets and players they would recieve
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 13 h 43
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,472
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

They have McDavid and Draisaitl, on really good contracts rn,and have completely wasted them with signing bloated contracts, Nurse is about 2-3m overpaid, Campbell is about 3m overpaid, Kulak and Ceci should probably be cheaper.

They got rid of Yamamoto and Kostin for nothing because they couldn't afford them, and have struggled to be cap compliant with even a 20 man roster the last 2 years.

Drai and McDavid will both be able to command market setting contracts, with the cap going up which is just gonna handicap EDM even more.

This will be an unpopular take, but I think they should be selling high on Draisaitl next offseason with an extension, they avoid the monsterous raise Draisaitl is likely getting for the back half of his career and could do a lot more damage with the assets and players they would recieve

Really doubt they are gonna sell Draisaitl unless he states he has 0 intentions on coming back but it will be interesting to see what happens

He may decide he wants to go be the #1C on another team and not be in McDavid's shadow anymore or he may extend. But no more discounts as that man already did it

Now 13+m is not out of the question and with Bouchard and others also needing with an eventual McDavid extension things gonna be interesting

Cause EDM might have 2 9m Dman on their Dcore by 2025
23 août 2023 à 13 h 57
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 516
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

Nurse: I feel at 28 years old and the term remaining that the Nurse contract is acceptable. Based on historic trends, the next 5 years should be the best 5 years of Nurses’ career. The contract ends at the age of 34. The contract was expensive because of what it bought. Their aren’t late 30s years to drive down the price. One way to think about it is that the cap impact / performance is front loaded. They’re swallowing the pill now. Near the end they should have an outstanding value proposition whether the cap goes up or not. The worst part of swallowing the pill is now set in stone: It forced Bouchard’s bridge. 2 years to decide.

I feel Kostin was “free”. The Blues do not give up good young talent, and both Kostin as well as what the Oilers gave up for him were essentially given away this offseason. Kostins value is “free”.

Yamamoto is fine, but I don’t see any glaring reason to retain a skater like him for his entire career. He’s the type of guy I feel who will bounce around a little bit - take roster opportunities on shorter term deals.

I think it would be super interesting to see what you’ve described with Drai!
23 août 2023 à 14 h 1
Hakuna Matata
Nurse: I feel at 28 years old and the term remaining that the Nurse contract is acceptable. Based on historic trends, the next 5 years should be the best 5 years of Nurses’ career. The contract ends at the age of 34. The contract was expensive because of what it bought. Their aren’t late 30s years to drive down the price. One way to think about it is that the cap impact / performance is front loaded. They’re swallowing the pill now. Near the end they should have an outstanding value proposition whether the cap goes up or not. The worst part of swallowing the pill is now set in stone: It forced Bouchard’s bridge. 2 years to decide.

I feel Kostin was “free”. The Blues do not give up good young talent, and both Kostin as well as what the Oilers gave up for him were essentially given away this offseason. Kostins value is “free”.

Yamamoto is fine, but I don’t see any glaring reason to retain a skater like him for his entire career.

I think it would be super interesting to see what you’ve described with Drai!

Nurse is 28 sure but he is making more than Makar. That deal was a mistake from day 1 using a shortened season in the Canadian division did not justify that deal at all

Also it has hurt EDM as if he was making 7.5m then they could have kept Kostin or other nice depth pieces.

But yea soon EDM will probs have 2 9m Dman on their Dcore one who deserves it the other not so much and will probs also have a 13m player besides McDavid and then man who knows what McDavid's next deal will be 15m, 18m, 20m

Gonna be interesting to see how EDM fits everyone
23 août 2023 à 14 h 5
Quoting: aadoyle
Nurse is 28 sure but he is making more than Makar. That deal was a mistake from day 1 using a shortened season in the Canadian division did not justify that deal at all

Agree, but

So for me, I wonder what Makar’s contract would look like if it were signed in Western Canada, and I wonder what Nurse looks like if he signs in the States.

I feel a part of this is the premium that Canadian taxes, exchange rate, and climate incur onto player contracts.

So I do include that when considering a specific example, because I believe it is both real and substantial.

If -every- contract Edmonton signs has a 10% puffer in it for the financial imbalance caused by geographic region difference then they get that consideration always.
23 août 2023 à 14 h 6
Hakuna Matata
Agree, but

So for me, I wonder what Makar’s contract would look like if it were signed in Western Canada, and I wonder what Nurse looks like if he signs in the States.

I feel a part of this is the premium that Canadian taxes, exchange rate, and climate incur onto player contracts.

So I do include that when considering a specific example, because I believe it is both real and substantial.

Makar if he signed in western Canada probs 10m

Nurse got overpaid you cant really argue it because it was in Canada.

Look at Morgan Reilly guy could have probs got 9m open market signed 7.5m x 8 years
23 août 2023 à 14 h 8
Quoting: aadoyle
Makar if he signed in western Canada probs 10m

Nurse got overpaid you cant really argue it because it was in Canada.

Well, if you lop 10% off his aav it starts to look a lot better to me.

There were a lot of similar statements about Draisaitl. For about a year or two. Bold decision making in edm.
23 août 2023 à 14 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Well, if you lop 10% off his aav it starts to look a lot better to me.

Even then cant justify that deal

Look what Reilly did for Toronto

Could have got 9m open market took a discount to stay 7.5m x 8 years and for what he has done b2b playoffs its been a steal.

Nurse should be 7.85m x 8 years but could push to 8.25m.

I get what Holland was trying to do but man that second bridge deal that lead to this deal hurt em
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 14 h 13
Well, if im going to be right on this argument then I kinda need nurse to transform into pietrangelo the next 5 years.

There is a real chance looking back that this isn’t as bad as it seems now. I mean it’s a tall ask: go be top 10 defenseman for 5 years straight. Pietrangelo did it tho. Won a cup. Now has the ez life in Vegas. Wins another.

One way or another stats say we’re about to see the best version of nurse.
23 août 2023 à 15 h 33
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 23 août 2023 à 16 h 6
Well, if im going to be right on this argument then I kinda need nurse to transform into pietrangelo the next 5 years.

There is a real chance looking back that this isn’t as bad as it seems now. I mean it’s a tall ask: go be top 10 defenseman for 5 years straight. Pietrangelo did it tho. Won a cup. Now has the ez life in Vegas. Wins another.

One way or another stats say we’re about to see the best version of nurse.

Would not compare Nurse to Pietrangelo

One did well helped his team win a cup left in FA cause his team made a mistake on who to extend and then helped his new team win a few years later

Nurse just got overpaid after a short Canadian division season. Playoffs he did not look good at all. Not hating on the guy in fact I think he is fine he just is making to much

If Holland did it right should have signed him long term in 7m range over the 5.6m x 2 year deal.

Cause man if he signed 7.5m x 8 years like Reilly nobody would be complaining rn

Also stats are showing no such thing if anything with all the pressure regression might start to happen
CantStopWontStop et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 17 h 2
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,342
Zad7CDk.png

news
BigBallsBriere, Saskleaf, CantStopWontStop and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 17 h 5
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,372
Quoting: mondo
Zad7CDk.png

news

Legit?
23 août 2023 à 17 h 5
torontos finest
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Legit?

yes
23 août 2023 à 17 h 6
yes

No details yet though?
23 août 2023 à 17 h 8
Démarrer sujet
SHL NJD GM
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,580
Zad7CDk.png

news

Oh man, I better get my popcorn ready
23 août 2023 à 17 h 10
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Oh man, I better get my popcorn ready

Idk... seems weird that he posted this 15 minutes ago and not a single insider has said anything... Wonder if he was maybe hacked or something

Edit: Nvm, Leafs just tweeted it
23 août 2023 à 17 h 11
torontos finest
FOUR YEARS LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 17 h 11
FOUR YEARS LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I mean, isn't that what was expected?
23 août 2023 à 17 h 12
torontos finest
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I mean, isn't that what was expected?

Every other major player signs for 8 years except the guys in Toronto.
NoVaSpartan et zk97 a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 17 h 12
Every other major player signs for 8 years except the guys in Toronto.

Yeah
23 août 2023 à 17 h 19
Goodbye everyone
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,308
Let’s go Matthews is resigned! 13.25 for 4 years is expensive but I’ll take it because it’s Matthews. I’m glad we got him to stay. Huge win for the team and the city.
23 août 2023 à 17 h 42
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,990
Where ever you might stand on the AAV or term:

Having Auston Matthews is > not having Auston Matthews
Saskleaf, CantStopWontStop et zk97 a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 17 h 44
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,557
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Where ever you might stand on the AAV or term:

Having Auston Matthews is > not having Auston Matthews

AAV: Deserved

Term: Why couldn’t Trevling make it longer?
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 17 h 53
Hakuna Matata
Honestly I am pretty okay with the Matthews deal

He is extended and now we dont got to hear anything about leaving for 4 more years

Had a feeling we werent gonna see an 8 year as so many reports made it clear he does not like long term deals

Must be the Marleau influence wink

Either way he is staying and we can worry about his next deal in another 4 year. Wish it could have been 8 but hey better than letting him walk for nothing or trading him in a losing deal
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
23 août 2023 à 18 h 24
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,675
Quoting: IconicHawk
AAV: Deserved

Term: Why couldn’t Trevling make it longer?

Just in time to one up McDavid on his next contract

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage