SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed David Reinbacher (3 Years / $2,116,667 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

5 juill. 2023 à 12 h 35
1GarthSnowFan
Rejoint: déc. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,803
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I can agree that the trades look bad, but Dach was on pace for a 58-point season on a team so thoroughly devastated by injuries. It will be hard to evaluate that trade over the short term if he finds a bit more growth in the Canadians organization and hovers around that 60 point mark over his career. Unless Nazar breaks through into the NHL like a bat out of hell, or Gavin Hayes does likewise, that trade could end up being a wash long-term.

I actually think the Canadiens are going to win the Newhook deal even if he never exceeds third-line production. Losing the high second round selection stings a bit but towards the back third of the first round is when you start consistently finding middle-six to third-line talents.

We, especially as fans that are so much more zoomed in on the salary cap and the draft, need to be very careful about making sure we aren't overvaluing draft picks and prospects right out of the draft. It's new toy syndrome. If we look back to the 2018 draft between picks #20 and #40, I can pick out five players (Miller, Sandin, Samuelsson, Romanov, McLeod) in that range that meet or exceeded third line/bottom pairing quality. In 2017, there were also five (Thomas, Chytil, Yamamoto, Oettinger, and Robertson; jury still out on Frost) players in that range that exceeded that same benchmark. Only Thompson, Kyrou, and DeBrincat clear that same hurdle in 2016. Everyone else picked in that range is either a bottom-of-the-roster piece or won't be an NHL regular. I think Montreal did fine moving the Florida first for Newhook, the additional second was a bit gratuitous.

It’s more about the fact I don’t like who they traded for them the fact they made a trade. Would’ve been better off targeting Colton than Newhook, or drafting someone with pick #13 over Dach.
5 juill. 2023 à 12 h 51
You know nothing JS
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,431
Quoting: Orr28
Can the Leafs have Xhekaj?

No. Especially not the Leafs smile
5 juill. 2023 à 13 h 11
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,266
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
I really hope no one votes no on this one.

Four people. Frightening.

The kid is picked fifth overall, only the second in the entire first round of his draft to sign his ELC, and four people say that this was a bad signing.
CSStrowbridge a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 14 h 31
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 169
Quoting: Not_Isles5513
My issue with the signing is that they didn’t take Michov. It just seems like Hughes and Gorton has done everything they can to minimize the impact of their top picks. After all, the five guys taken immediately after Slafkovsky are all better than the former #1 overall pick. Then you have the Dach and Newhook trades where Montreal overpaid for non-premium talents. Franchise looks like a mess rn imo.

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black!

How much did you guys pay for Romanov?
I don't follow the Islanders but are you telling me your team doesn't have any bad contracts?
And you know for a fact that the 5 picks taken after Slafkovsky are better based on what information? Do you have a crystal ball?

I'm sure your franchise isn't in a mess! Are they the favorites to win the cup this year? Are you even positive that they will even make the play-off this year?

Every team in the NHL has flaws, at least Habs fans know that we are in a rebuild and most have embraced that fact.
Juraj_Cauzuki et Caufield a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 14 h 58
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: corson
Talk about the kettle calling the pot black!

How much did you guys pay for Romanov?
I don't follow the Islanders but are you telling me your team doesn't have any bad contracts?
And you know for a fact that the 5 picks taken after Slafkovsky are better based on what information? Do you have a crystal ball?

I'm sure your franchise isn't in a mess! Are they the favorites to win the cup this year? Are you even positive that they will even make the play-off this year?

Every team in the NHL has flaws, at least Habs fans know that we are in a rebuild and most have embraced that fact.

I don’t like what the isles are doing tho lol.
5 juill. 2023 à 16 h 14
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 719
Does anyone know, does this mean he CANNOT go back to play in Europe?
Essentially he either plays AHL or NHL, or can he actually play in Europe(not Russia) while under contract?
5 juill. 2023 à 16 h 31
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,496
Quoting: Ste_Catherine_Street
Does anyone know, does this mean he CANNOT go back to play in Europe?
Essentially he either plays AHL or NHL, or can he actually play in Europe(not Russia) while under contract?

No, he can still be loaned in Europe if that's the direction they go for.
Ste_Catherine_Street a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 17 h 3
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 67
My issue with the signing is that they didn’t take Michov. It just seems like Hughes and Gorton has done everything they can to minimize the impact of their top picks. After all, the five guys taken immediately after Slafkovsky are all better than the former #1 overall pick. Then you have the Dach and Newhook trades where Montreal overpaid for non-premium talents. Franchise looks like a mess rn imo.

Talk about overreacting.

Those "5 players taken after Slaf" haven't played more than 12 combined games in the big league so there's no basis for comparison.

The Dach trade was a piece of art for anyone who's been paying attention. 58 points pace as a 21 y.o. on the most injured team is awesome, much more than what can be expected from a #13 pick.

Newhook is still up in the air, but as @BeterChiarelli said, the odds of getting an NHLer in that pick range are slim.
Caufield et Juraj_Cauzuki a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 17 h 5
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: Lavallois
Talk about overreacting.

Those "5 players taken after Slaf" haven't played more than 12 combined games in the big league so there's no basis for comparison.

The Dach trade was a piece of art for anyone who's been paying attention. 58 points pace as a 21 y.o. on the most injured team is awesome, much more than what can be expected from a #13 pick.

Newhook is still up in the air, but as BeterChiarelli said, the odds of getting an NHLer in that pick range are slim.

Jiricek, Nemec, Cooley, Wright and Gauthier have all shown more than Slaf has in their draft + one year. Also there are late first round picks that pan out all the time, so I have to disagree with you there.
5 juill. 2023 à 18 h 4
Mentions "j'aime": 94
Quoting: CameronSquires
David........ Reinbacher
-Price

Price was shocked when he was given the selection and was like are u sure this is who u wanna pick! lol
CameronSquires a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 18 h 7
Mentions "j'aime": 94
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
because Reinbacher is the safe pick while Michkov is the franchise star or bust pick.

it's pretty safe to say this guy will never be a regular in the nhl
5 juill. 2023 à 19 h 46
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,507
Jiricek, Nemec, Cooley, Wright and Gauthier have all shown more than Slaf has in their draft + one year. Also there are late first round picks that pan out all the time, so I have to disagree with you there.

i mean, cant really compare nhl stats and minor stats. slaf was playing on the 4th line, who knows how dominant he would have been if he played in the ncaa for examples.
Caufield a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 19 h 53
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: drambui
i mean, cant really compare nhl stats and minor stats. slaf was playing on the 4th line, who knows how dominant he would have been if he played in the ncaa for examples.

If you look at Slaf’s Draft + One year compared to the players select 2nd through 6th, there’s a reason that Slaf has the worst looking comparisons according to the models out there. Byron Bader has been sounding the alarm on him all season long.
drambui a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 20 h 40
If you look at Slaf’s Draft + One year compared to the players select 2nd through 6th, there’s a reason that Slaf has the worst looking comparisons according to the models out there. Byron Bader has been sounding the alarm on him all season long.

i know slaf is far from a safe pick and i share the concern. however i know the model really well and i could go in depth on why i dont think it really matters much in this specific case. (i also think its very flawed for other general reasons). i think as soon as next year we might have a way clearer view on how they all comapare.
Not_Isles5513 a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 20 h 41
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: drambui
i know slaf is far from a safe pick and i share the concern. however i know the model really well and i could go in depth on why i dont think it really matters much in this specific case. (i also think its very flawed for other general reasons). i think as soon as next year we might have a way clearer view on how they all comapare.

I agree to a point. I’m not hating on Montreal, but I do think their fans deserve better.
drambui a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 20 h 46
I agree to a point. I’m not hating on Montreal, but I do think their fans deserve better.

i agree the direction the team is taking is very risky. I was also not into the slaf pick and even more against him playing in the nhl.
Not_Isles5513 a aimé ceci.
5 juill. 2023 à 23 h 50
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 143

Who turns out to be the best of the high picks in the 2022 draft remains to be seen. They aimed for the BPA.

In what world did they overpay for Dach? Pretty much everyone loves the Dach acquisition, which effectively cost them one of their many left D prospects or the chance to pick 13OA in a relatively weak draft year; the chances that Nazar or whoever else they could have picked at that rank turn out to be not as good as Dach are high.
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage