SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

30 mai 2023 à 22 h 42
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,736
Quoting: Newtown
Sure, but there was no precedent anywhere, ever for signing young stars to large contracts with limited terms that led them straight to UFA. Pasternak and Ehlers were Nylanders direct comparibles, in many ways better in their early careers, yet Nylander got a million more.

Dubas made game changing deals with Marner and Matthews. Covid had nothing to do with that.

I suppose there wouldn't be any precedent if you never bothered to actually look for it. Look at cap hit %'s. Hell guys used to get 17% of the cap.
And Florida has 4 guys making 45% this year - so I swear to god this "They paid their stars too much" narrative has to die. Anyone who thinks this is outright r3tarded
30 mai 2023 à 22 h 45
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,278
Quoting: Nathaniel
There are certainly worse options. I don't love Treliving, but not because I dislike the guy, but because it doesn't feel like a hire that moves the needle. I know people point to the Tkachuk deal, but lets be honest, nobody thought Florida won that thing, and to be quite honest, if the Flames hire a decent head coach, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to be huge for the Flames.

People are quick to point to the James Neal, and Frolik contracts, but look at the Gaudreau contract, the Hamilton contract, the Mangipane contract, the Andersson contract

Also, when it comes to trades that make a splash, forget about the Tkachuk trade and look at the Hamilton trade.

The truth is, Treliving is just fine. The more I familiarize myself with him, the less I hate the idea. He's no Eric Tulsky, but very few are so gifted. GMBT will be just fine

These are pretty much my thoughts. I think Treliving is the safe option honestly. Does he have the potential to be the leagues best GM or anything? No. But I think he’s competent enough at his job that the leafs will be fine. He made a lot of good moves in Calgary along with his mistakes.
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 22 h 52
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,253
Quoting: MatthewsFan
So the man who let Gaudreau walk for nothing, lost Valimaki on waivers for nothing, hired terrible coaches, Flames have tied up nearly 20% of the cap for the next eight years to two players in their 30’s. Treliving has had a history of signing players to deals that have not been beneficial for this franchise. Looking all the way back, the Troy Brouwer and James Neal deals were major franchise-altering decisions that the team had to fight to get out of. Then there was the Michael Frolik signing for four years that hurt the team’s ability to sign Matthew Tkachuk long-term. Flames have 11 players with movement-limiting clauses in their contract (no-trade, modified no-trade, and no-movement). This has forced the Flames into pushing their chips into the middle this summer, and makes it even harder for the team to make moves this summer under Conroy.

Flames are the most cap-tied team going into the 2023–24 season, with $82.25 million already tied up for next season. That leaves them with just $250,000 to fill the spots left by Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Stone, and other depth players. That’s an issue.

Yay us

Just to play Devils advocate, Dubas:

- Let Hyman walk for nothing
- Exposed McCann to Seattle (although Shannahan is also to blame for this)
- Has made some questionable decisions in terms of $$$ (Ritchie, Mrazek, Murray)
- Hasn't leveraged assets effectively (Barabanov sticks out in particular)
- Refused to shake up this team's depth in any meaningful way despite there being clear issues (Kerfoot, Holl)
- Completely blundered the only real core trade he made in his tenure with the Kadri deal
- Doesn't really address depth via Free Agency (barring JT, Brodie was the biggest UFA signing made)
- Gave up way too early on Sandin and Engvall
- Made NAK a day 1 free agency signing
- Traded for Foligno over Hall
- Didn't qualify ERod after the Kapanen deal
- Paid a ridiculously awful price to dump Marleau

It's really difficult to compare Dubas and Treliving because they are so different. Neither are perfect. I don't want to criticize the hire too early because we don't know what the vision is yet. I think a new set of eyes on this team has the potential to be really beneficial. Of course the opposite can also be true, but Tre is a good dude and has been around a while. I think he can do a great job. Plus, we need to have some belief (or beleaf?) in our group. Treliving will no doubt be very different from KD, but change isn't always bad. I think we can pull through and I'm rooting for Brad.

Go Leafs
Saskleaf et MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 22 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,320
Quoting: Saskleaf
These are pretty much my thoughts. I think Treliving is the safe option honestly. Does he have the potential to be the leagues best GM or anything? No. But I think he’s competent enough at his job that the leafs will be fine. He made a lot of good moves in Calgary along with his mistakes.

Mhm

Like before the season people were praising him for turning Tkachuck into Huberdeau + Weegar to bad under Sutter both fell off. But he moved at the time one 100 point player for another and got a top 4 Dman who was in the Norris conversation

If they bounce back under a new coach the move looks better

Heck u want a splash he turned Hamilton + Fox (who had 0 plans to sign) + Ferland who bailed out on Carolina after a year than got concussion issues into Lindholm and Hanafin who he signed to some nice deals.

Drafting

Some hot and cold years

Free Agency

Some good, some bad but hey all GM's do it

With the management team we already got he should fit right in and do just fine

Hes just a safe nice choice.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 22 h 58
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever

^
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 2
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: aadoyle
Mhm

Like before the season people were praising him for turning Tkachuck into Huberdeau + Weegar to bad under Sutter both fell off. But he moved at the time one 100 point player for another and got a top 4 Dman who was in the Norris conversation

If they bounce back under a new coach the move looks better

Heck u want a splash he turned Hamilton + Fox (who had 0 plans to sign) + Ferland who bailed out on Carolina after a year than got concussion issues into Lindholm and Hanafin who he signed to some nice deals.

Drafting

Some hot and cold years

Free Agency

Some good, some bad but hey all GM's do it

With the management team we already got he should fit right in and do just fine

Hes just a safe nice choice.

Exactly. I think it's stupid when people are talking about him making a splash and only bring up the Tkachuk trade and say he's bad at making big splashes, because
a) everyone thought he won that trade at the time, and
b) everyone is just completly forgeting that the Hamilton trade happened, which Treliving definetly won.

And contracts too, there are a lot of good value contracts he's made (granted a bunch of bad ones too but a lot of good ones still).

I think the leafs will be just fine.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 6
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Something of note for the Treliving hire:

Treliving will NOT be able to partake in Toronto's draft process this season given his knowledge of Calgary's draft plans. This one will be headed by Pridham, Wickenheiser, Metcalf, Gilman, and Clarke
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 9
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,990
Just to play Devils advocate, Dubas:

- Let Hyman walk for nothing
- Exposed McCann to Seattle (although Shannahan is also to blame for this)
- Has made some questionable decisions in terms of $$$ (Ritchie, Mrazek, Murray)
- Hasn't leveraged assets effectively (Barabanov sticks out in particular)
- Refused to shake up this team's depth in any meaningful way despite there being clear issues (Kerfoot, Holl)
- Completely blundered the only real core trade he made in his tenure with the Kadri deal
- Doesn't really address depth via Free Agency (barring JT, Brodie was the biggest UFA signing made)
- Gave up way too early on Sandin and Engvall
- Made NAK a day 1 free agency signing
- Traded for Foligno over Hall
- Didn't qualify ERod after the Kapanen deal
- Paid a ridiculously awful price to dump Marleau

It's really difficult to compare Dubas and Treliving because they are so different. Neither are perfect. I don't want to criticize the hire too early because we don't know what the vision is yet. I think a new set of eyes on this team has the potential to be really beneficial. Of course the opposite can also be true, but Tre is a good dude and has been around a while. I think he can do a great job. Plus, we need to have some belief (or beleaf?) in our group. Treliving will no doubt be very different from KD, but change isn't always bad. I think we can pull through and I'm rooting for Brad.

Go Leafs

I can respect this but I will return with:

Dubas joined the Leafs in 2014 as an assistant GM at age 28. He managed the American Hockey League’s Toronto Marlies to a Calder Cup title in 2018. He took over as Toronto general manager from Lou Lamoriello in May 2018 as part of a succession plan under Shanahan’s direction.

Leafs experienced unprecedented regular-season success under Dubas. Toronto set single-season records for wins and points, and went 221-109-42 in his tenure. Leafs made the playoffs in every season under Dubas as GM. Under Dubas, the Leafs put together their best regular season in franchise history. His ability to identify gaps in the roster and fill them was a strength of his. Leafs drafted well with Dubas in charge. In the salary-cap era, a team has only earned 110 points per 82 games or better in three consecutive seasons three times, the Leafs.

Treviling took over before the 2015-2016 Flames season. In 8 years as GM he hired 3 coaches, missed the playoffs 4 out of 8 times, and advanced to the 2nd round once.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 11
Hakuna Matata
Something of note for the Treliving hire:

Treliving will NOT be able to partake in Toronto's draft process this season given his knowledge of Calgary's draft plans. This one will be headed by Pridham, Wickenheiser, Metcalf, Gilman, and Clarke

This is good as to me he will see the process of how the Leafs draft and go alright they like these kinds of players. As in the end GM's often listen to their people on whose best and Tree did make some good choices here and there. Maybe a change of scenery is good for him as honestly for all the issues he had we have guys who can help sort it out

But lets be honest Treeliving extends Matthews all the past negatives just go in the garbage as hey we got our guy
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 11
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
I can respect this but I will return with:

Dubas joined the Leafs in 2014 as an assistant GM at age 28. He managed the American Hockey League’s Toronto Marlies to a Calder Cup title in 2018. He took over as Toronto general manager from Lou Lamoriello in May 2018 as part of a succession plan under Shanahan’s direction.

Leafs experienced unprecedented regular-season success under Dubas. Toronto set single-season records for wins and points, and went 221-109-42 in his tenure. Leafs made the playoffs in every season under Dubas as GM. Under Dubas, the Leafs put together their best regular season in franchise history. His ability to identify gaps in the roster and fill them was a strength of his. Leafs drafted well with Dubas in charge. In the salary-cap era, a team has only earned 110 points per 82 games or better in three consecutive seasons three times, the Leafs.

Treviling took over before the 2015-2016 Flames season. In 8 years as GM he hired 3 coaches, missed the playoffs 4 out of 8 times, and advanced to the 2nd round once.

All fair criticisms. I dont want my points to come off as a slight to Dubas because I was a big fan of his, but he had his fair share of mistakes. Not every GM is so lucky to get handed Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. Those 3 dunk on any player on the Flames. All I want to see from Tre is forward depth. Give me that and I am a happy man
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 18
Ovchinnikov 137
All fair criticisms. I dont want my points to come off as a slight to Dubas because I was a big fan of his, but he had his fair share of mistakes. Not every GM is so lucky to get handed Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. Those 3 dunk on any player on the Flames. All I want to see from Tre is forward depth. Give me that and I am a happy man

Your not and I respect people can have a different opinion on Treviling than me.

I obviously can’t see into the future but for me, this was a terrible hire.
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 19
Hakuna Matata
Hmmm

This is if they decide to keep big 4. Making another one where they decide not to
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 20
Ovchinnikov 137

30 mai 2023 à 23 h 22
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
Your not and I respect people can have a different opinion on Treviling than me.

I obviously can’t see into the future but for me, this was a terrible hire.

That's fair, I get that angle. Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but I'm tired of being down on this team. Let's kick off the offseason with Simashev, a Matthews extension, and a Murray trade
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 25
Hakuna Matata
That's fair, I get that angle. Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but I'm tired of being down on this team. Let's kick off the offseason with Simashev, a Matthews extension, and a Murray trade

I got a feeling no Simashev due to a Murray move unless he drops to early 2nd but hey there are other options

If he extends Matthews basically fans celebrate Tree on the streets. And if he pulls off a Horvat like trade for Nylander its all over
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 28
Ovchinnikov 137

Having evaluated all three of these areas, what can we say about Brad Treliving’s history as a GM? On the whole, we can argue that Treliving is a solid NHL manager — probably above average, although not dramatically so. To place him in a bucket with the likes of Jim Benning, Peter Chiarelli, Stan Bowman, Ron Hextall, or Dave Nonis — as some fans have — is a completely unfair description. However, at the end of the day, Treliving’s teams never got out of the second round and won two total playoff series. There are mitigating factors at play, but he also made plenty of mistakes along the way that contributed to this reality.

Hiring Brad Treliving probably wouldn’t be a disaster, but there doesn’t look to be much reason to plan the parade if he’s hired, either.

We went with the smartest kid on the 🚌
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 30
Ovchinnikov 137

30 mai 2023 à 23 h 35
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVhC80hjhbih4dWR9aYR1s-GbR5onbvlt5Ig&usqp=CAU

Hmmmm
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 36
Saskoiler for now

Having evaluated all three of these areas, what can we say about Brad Treliving’s history as a GM? On the whole, we can argue that Treliving is a solid NHL manager — probably above average, although not dramatically so. To place him in a bucket with the likes of Jim Benning, Peter Chiarelli, Stan Bowman, Ron Hextall, or Dave Nonis — as some fans have — is a completely unfair description. However, at the end of the day, Treliving’s teams never got out of the second round and won two total playoff series. There are mitigating factors at play, but he also made plenty of mistakes along the way that contributed to this reality.

Hiring Brad Treliving probably wouldn’t be a disaster, but there doesn’t look to be much reason to plan the parade if he’s hired, either.

We went with the smartest kid on the 🚌

Fair enough assesment of him, my opinion is a bit higher of him than you but this is fair.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 41
Ovchinnikov 137

Quick Shifts: Why Treliving is in the mix to be Maple Leafs’ next GM

“Treliving’s father, Jim, knows Leafs co-owner Larry Tanenbaum well from the business world. That could help.0

Nepotism at it’s finest
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 43
Hakuna Matata
Just realized we are the Toronto Flaming Maples now

Treliving (GM)
Rittich (formerly)
Giordano
Jarnkrok
Brodie
Gustafsson
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 44
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Saskleaf
Fair enough assesment of him, my opinion is a bit higher of him than you but this is fair.

Absolutely, if fans are happy about this, good on you.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 45
Hakuna Matata
In the end I'm just happy its not Jim Benning, Chuck Fletcher, Peter Chirelli, or Ron Hextall

Could u imagine Chirelli

First order of Business trade Marner for Adam Larsson
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
30 mai 2023 à 23 h 48
Ovchinnikov 137
Lol I totally forgot he traded a 1st to get rid of Monahan

Let’s go!
31 mai 2023 à 0 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Amirov Forever