Forums/Armchair-GM

Cole Caufield is not Jason Robertson

Créé par: Wreckless
Équipe: 2023-24 Canadiens de Montréal
Date de création initiale: 2 déc. 2022
Publié: 2 déc. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
What say ye all? What do you think the final cap hit looks like and for exactly how many years?

Advance warning, anyone who puts him higher than Suzuki is immediately getting blocked. Not worth the time/effort/headspace trying to reason with the unreasonable.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
2850 000 $
Transactions
MTL
  1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2023 (SEA)
  2. Choix de 2e ronde en 2024 (SEA)
Détails additionnels:
Donskoi cap dump
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de MTL
Logo de FLA
Logo de SEA
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de PIT
Logo de VGK
Logo de MTL
Logo de CGY
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de COL
Logo de SEA
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de EDM
Logo de MTL
Logo de CGY
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2282 500 000 $69 052 499 $1 170 000 $4 277 500 $13 447 501 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
C
UFA - 7
3 362 500 $3 362 500 $
C, AD
RFA - 3
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
4 450 000 $4 450 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
950 000 $950 000 $ (Bonis de performance3 500 000 $$4M)
AD, AG
UFA - 2
1 700 000 $1 700 000 $
C
UFA - 2
918 333 $918 333 $
AD, C
RFA - 4
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
885 000 $885 000 $
C
RFA - 4
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance420 000 $$420K)
DG/DD
RFA - 2
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
10 500 000 $10 500 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 3
4 875 000 $4 875 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
766 667 $766 667 $
DD
UFA - 2
1 925 000 $1 925 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance275 000 $$275K)
DD
RFA - 1
828 333 $828 333 $
DG/DD
RFA - 1
875 000 $875 000 $ (Bonis de performance82 500 $$82K)
DD
RFA - 3
850 000 $850 000 $
DG/DD
RFA - 2
Équipe de réserve
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
G
UFA - 1
762 500 $762 500 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
DD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
2 déc. 2022 à 11 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Wreckless
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 466
Quoting: Ritzy
Haha, I'm perfectly content cheering for TOR.

You must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. It appears as though you're looking for confrontation on a few threads. I'd suggest taking a break from CF, for your own sanity.

Have a wonderful day.

Fair enough, some people enjoy being masochists. Maybe you’ll win a playoff series this year. Maybe. Probably not. But maybe.
2 déc. 2022 à 12 h 1
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,736
Quoting: Wreckless
Yep, you need to sign them to deals that work for the player and the team. If Caufield thinks he’s more valuable to the Canadiens than Suzuki, then we don’t want him. Same reason why we traded Subban and Pacioretty.

Personally, I think (and hope) that Caufield is smarter than that (and most of the short sighted “fans” among the capfriendly commentariat).

This has nothing to do with Caufield "being smarter than that"

The NHL is a BUSINESS, and for players as well so it depends what he is looking for. Does he want to be paid under 8M$ to stay in a high pressure market or be paid at full market value anywhere?

Caufield has 35 goals, 57 points in his last 60 games (since MSL hire), everybody knows his potential and that's exactly what he has been showing for a while. He's going to be a regular 35+ goal scorer. That is worth a pretty penny on the NHL market that you like it or not

Now if Montreal absolutely want Suzuki to be their highest paid player and trade anyone else that might ask for more, then go ahead I guess, trade him

I hope you're not trying to include me in your "short sighted “fans” among the capfriendly commentariat" tears of joy
2 déc. 2022 à 12 h 13
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,615
Modifié 2 déc. 2022 à 12 h 32
If the Habs were short sighted, and kept Caufield on a line with a center not named Suzuki, and Caufield’s production this season was lower, would that make him worth less?

Answer: no.

Overvalue short term statistics at your own peril.

Caufield is going to get paid for his goals. It is irrelevant, but he probably scores regardless if he played with Suzuki or not. He's either going to get a contract based on what he has done or based on what he's projected to do - that is the current trend in the NHL. Both are based on short-term statistics though. Ultimately, Caufield could fall off during this season or he can absolutely go off, so at the end we are just shooting in the dark.

If Hughes isn't willing to follow the trend, then Caufield is going to get a bridge deal, probably a 4-year one so that they get some term. Caufield only had 23G in 67 last year, but if he gets 40G+ this year it's going to average out to 30Gs. There would be a the start of a track record that suggests that Caufield can at least be expected to score 30+ in the future. So, if you are correct on Hughes stance on the matter, it's going to be a bridge deal. Boeser got 5.875x3 (7.21% CH = ~6.25m of 86.5m) coming off his ELC. He had a lower goal rate than Caufield but higher point rate. I guessed 7-7.5mx4 earlier and I stand by that, but a 6-6.5mx3 deal isn't out of the question either. Brisson and Hughes seem to have a good relationship, considering that he basically tried driving Dubois into the hands of Hughes. If Caufield is willing to wait for his pay day, a team friendly bridge deal isn't out of the question. If he's not willing, then Brisson will do what's in his client's interest even if it means going the offer sheet route.
2 déc. 2022 à 12 h 35
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,673
Interesting three players you chose:

Second contract for Gallagher, 6x$3.75mm.
Price 6x$6.5mm.
Anderson 3x$1.85mm.

All excellent deals. All team first guys. All still with the team. What a coincidence!

UFA deals and RFA deals are not the same animal.

yep, and look how we regret it.
2 déc. 2022 à 12 h 59
we miss leo k
Rejoint: févr. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,178
Who knows if OP actually followed through on his threat to actually block people for disagreeing with his hot take, but I want to throw one more thing out there:

In 2020-21, the 2nd year of Robertson's ELC, he put up 17 goals in 51 GP (0.33 goals/GP) before popping off for 41 in 74 GP last year (0.55 goals/GP).

Last year, the 2nd year of Caufield's ELC, he put up 23 goals in 67 GP (0.34 goals/GP) and is currently at 13 in 23 GP (0.57 goals/GP). Obviously it's strongly contingent on Caufield maintaining his production through the rest of the year, but I don't see how saying that Caufield is worth less of a cap percentage than Suzuki (7.875/81.5M cap is 9.66%; 8M/83.5M cap is 9.58%) just because the real dollar amount is slightly higher.

I could see Caufield signing a cheaper bridge deal in the $6-6.5M range, sure, but he's only gonna do that for 2-3 years. And if he continue scoring 35-40 goals in those years, all of a sudden you're looking at a guy who's only a year or two away from UFA that's going to easily command $9.5M-10M, and isn't going to give you the hometown discount a second time. It seems silly to call other people shortsighted for suggesting a slightly higher AAV while missing the fact that lowballing a guy on a bridge deal is going to cost you later if he keeps producing.
GMBL, NoVaSpartan et justaBoss a aimé ceci.
2 déc. 2022 à 13 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Wreckless
Quoting: Xspyrit
This has nothing to do with Caufield "being smarter than that"

The NHL is a BUSINESS, and for players as well so it depends what he is looking for. Does he want to be paid under 8M$ to stay in a high pressure market or be paid at full market value anywhere?

Caufield has 35 goals, 57 points in his last 60 games (since MSL hire), everybody knows his potential and that's exactly what he has been showing for a while. He's going to be a regular 35+ goal scorer. That is worth a pretty penny on the NHL market that you like it or not

Now if Montreal absolutely want Suzuki to be their highest paid player and trade anyone else that might ask for more, then go ahead I guess, trade him

I hope you're not trying to include me in your "short sighted “fans” among the capfriendly commentariat" tears of joy

Hopefully Caufield doesn’t think the same way you do. Time will tell.

In my opinion, if he’s the kind of guy who thinks he should have a higher cap hit than Suzuki, then we probably don’t want him. Luckily, we’d probably be able to get a boat load in return.

I’m optimistic that he’s a team first type of player, though. If he’s “me first” like PK or Pacioretty, then personally, I wouldn’t want him anyways.

You’re allowed to have a different perspective. Doesn’t make you right. BTW, people who say things like “everybody knows” are typically wrong about most things when they disagree.
2 déc. 2022 à 13 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Wreckless
Quoting: GMBL
Caufield is going to get paid for his goals. It is irrelevant, but he probably scores regardless if he played with Suzuki or not. He's either going to get a contract based on what he has done or based on what he's projected to do - that is the current trend in the NHL. Both are based on short-term statistics though. Ultimately, Caufield could fall off during this season or he can absolutely go off, so at the end we are just shooting in the dark.

If Hughes isn't willing to follow the trend, then Caufield is going to get a bridge deal, probably a 4-year one so that they get some term. Caufield only had 23G in 67 last year, but if he gets 40G+ this year it's going to average out to 30Gs. There would be a the start of a track record that suggests that Caufield can at least be expected to score 30+ in the future. So, if you are correct on Hughes stance on the matter, it's going to be a bridge deal. Boeser got 5.875x3 (7.21% CH = ~6.25m of 86.5m) coming off his ELC. He had a lower goal rate than Caufield but higher point rate. I guessed 7-7.5mx4 earlier and I stand by that, but a 6-6.5mx3 deal isn't out of the question either. Brisson and Hughes seem to have a good relationship, considering that he basically tried driving Dubois into the hands of Hughes. If Caufield is willing to wait for his pay day, a team friendly bridge deal isn't out of the question. If he's not willing, then Brisson will do what's in his client's interest even if it means going the offer sheet route.

“Probably scores if with Suzuki or not.”…

Based on what exactly? You can look at the stats of his production away from Nick. It ain’t good. Suzuki has been a stud regardless of who his linesmates have been. In all zones.
2 déc. 2022 à 13 h 54
“Probably scores if with Suzuki or not.”…

Based on what exactly? You can look at the stats of his production away from Nick. It ain’t good. Suzuki has been a stud regardless of who his linesmates have been. In all zones.

Was based on nothing but regardless it's irrelevant. When has a GM used projections of how a star player's production would have been if he didn't benefit playing with x player to try getting the price down? If someone did I'm sure that didn't end well. If they suspect that a player isn't really a star or in general that they can't keep up their play in the long-term, then they offer a bridge deal.

Anyways, what's your expectation for Caufield's next contract assuming that he's not trying to max out?
2 déc. 2022 à 13 h 56
Démarrer sujet
Wreckless
Quoting: GMBL
I'm just speculating but regardless it's irrelevant. When has a GM used projections of how a player's production would have been if he didn't benefit playing with x player to try getting the price down on a star player? If they suspect that a player isn't really a star or in general that they can't keep up their play in the long-term, then they offer a bridge deal.

Anyways, what's your expectation for Caufield's next contract assuming that he's not trying to max out?

In or around 8x$7mm. Should work for everyone.

My point is the fact that we’re putting him in a position to succeed immediately shouldn’t work against the team in our contract negotiations. And at the same time, it should work in favour of the player actually wanting to sign here long term. He’s in literally the perfect situation for himself, short of maybe playing on Jack Hughes’ wing again.
GMBL a aimé ceci.
2 déc. 2022 à 14 h 0
In or around 8x$7mm. Should work for everyone.

I do expect them to sign him the max 8 years, 7m seems low/the minimum but who knows what Caufield wants. Although, don't be surprised if he's signed closer to 8m if he keeps up his production this year.
3 déc. 2022 à 8 h 57

My point is the fact that we’re putting him in a position to succeed immediately shouldn’t work against the team in our contract negotiations. And at the same time, it should work in favour of the player actually wanting to sign here long term. He’s in literally the perfect situation for himself, short of maybe playing on Jack Hughes’ wing again.

If a player is put in a favorable position and seizes the opportunity by doing well, then they are going to benefit from it even if they were set up for success. The team should be benefitting by having a good player, but it may cost them when it comes to pay. It's why some teams would put the 1OV/2OV pick (who is NHL ready) on the 3rd line 5v5 and 2nd line PP for example Auston Matthews. If I'm not mistaken Lafreniere and Kakko were also on the 3rd line. I'm guessing the Canadiens did something similar with Caufield, either on the 3rd or 2nd line.

Caufield playing well with Suzuki is probably viewed more as a chemistry thing than anything else.
3 déc. 2022 à 23 h 59
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 3,736
Hopefully Caufield doesn’t think the same way you do. Time will tell.

In my opinion, if he’s the kind of guy who thinks he should have a higher cap hit than Suzuki, then we probably don’t want him. Luckily, we’d probably be able to get a boat load in return.

I’m optimistic that he’s a team first type of player, though. If he’s “me first” like PK or Pacioretty, then personally, I wouldn’t want him anyways.

You’re allowed to have a different perspective. Doesn’t make you right. BTW, people who say things like “everybody knows” are typically wrong about most things when they disagree.

I never talked about the way I think. I have been explaining how the real world works.

Last season, Brady Tkachuk missed the whole training camp and missed the first 3 games as result because he was holding out get the maximum contract.

Does that make him a “me first” guy?

Last season, Batherson was the Sens best forward but he has a 4.975 AAV. How come Josh Norris and Tim Stutzle got more on their extensions?

Again, I am not right or wrong here, I was just explaining how the NHL works. Caufield can get the money he's worth if he wants, Suzuki or not

The NHL market has shifted and now young star players are paid even more on projection than before.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage