Forums/GM Game 2017-18

2017-18 GM Game - General Discussion Thread

6 nov. 2017 à 12 h 45
Black Lives Matter
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,651
Quoting: Icegirl
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

I got these 4 comments on my GM Game page. I believe the MIN GM has quite as well? Could someone tell me what is going on? Something strange seems to be happening. I've been off the site for most of the day, so i'm not up to date with the recent stuff that's happened in the game. Thanks.

You missed a lot, RAIF. Basically, Booth went berserk and got banned. Because of that, I, and a bunch of other people who were planning on quitting, probably will not after all. (I'll still quit if I don't get my picks back.)

There was a lot of drama, though. When you created this game, I don't think you envisioned that so much drama would happen because of it. We appreciate that you made this game, and we're sorry that it probably has not turned out like you hoped it would. We'll do our best in the future to keep the drama down, restoring this game to be much closer to what you wanted it to be.

alright, thanks for updating me.
PrincessChloe a aimé ceci.
6 nov. 2017 à 13 h 19
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,016
Well, because I get to keep the picks, I'm gonna stay. Now I know how Jagr feels...
6 nov. 2017 à 14 h 47
SEA GM v5
Rejoint: sept. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 880
Question: Who got Winnik?
7 nov. 2017 à 13 h 59
Black Lives Matter
Wow, i'm only 1 of 2 GMs who hasn't made any trades yet in this game.
7 nov. 2017 à 14 h 1
WentWughes
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 10,299

Its 2 months in the game, why arent you making trades?
7 nov. 2017 à 18 h 5
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

in real life, there are 14 teams i believe who haven't made any trades since this game started.
7 nov. 2017 à 18 h 8
WentWughes

in real life, there are 14 teams i believe who haven't made any trades since this game started.

This isnt real life, this is a virtual game where you try to make your team the best as possible
7 nov. 2017 à 18 h 11
Black Lives Matter

This isnt real life, this is a virtual game where you try to make your team the best as possible

i know, that's what real GMs are doing. JSYK, i'm not the only team who hasn't made trades yet.
7 nov. 2017 à 19 h 49
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,161

i know, that's what real GMs are doing. JSYK, i'm not the only team who hasn't made trades yet.

Yeah, one of two. So you can't really use that.
7 nov. 2017 à 21 h 33
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Bo53Horvat

Yeah, one of two. So you can't really use that.

i'm not saying everyone should bug the Bruins' GM about this, but is it just me that people are unhappy with for not making trades or Boston too?
7 nov. 2017 à 21 h 46
Démarrer sujet
Mentions "j'aime": 2,885
For what it is worth, if I took the available Philadelphia Flyers when we did team claiming back in September, I wouldn't have made too many trades thus far unless they were centered around prospects I wasn't high on or a select few players I would have been interested in acquiring that most GMs wouldn't have wanted to move.

I think its fine to wait and see what kind of needs you need based on IRL, but eventually the "fun" of the game should be derived from making trades at some point and not chilling until the deadline.

Keep in mind, you want to win the GM Game...or is losing winning? #ttp
7 nov. 2017 à 21 h 47
Okay, well the Boston GM doesn't continuously and consistently waste peoples time in negotiations.
7 nov. 2017 à 21 h 51
Démarrer sujet
GMs who have rational expectations should know and expect that, should then try to engage in negotiations with Ottawa, they might not get a deal.

RAIF has been advertising since the very getgo he is going to stand pat until he figures out what his team needs, rather than just making trades for the sake of making trades.

If you are going to inquire on a certain player from RAIF, it is also reasonable to expect that that price of said player is probably higher than market value because any GM would have to pay an "additional fee" to get a player that RAIF doesn't want to move to move.

That being said, there should be no more complaining if a GM willingly goes to RAIF's page, with the intent to make a deal, and then find that they wasted their time because he eventually circles back to what he originally stated.
7 nov. 2017 à 22 h 2
WentWughes
I just dont understand it. Ottawa isnt going to win staying the way they are..
7 nov. 2017 à 22 h 5
Démarrer sujet

Depends on how you define "winning", my friend.

#ttp
7 nov. 2017 à 22 h 9
WentWughes
Quoting: phillyjabroni

#ttp

#ttp

#ttp

Winning is finishing first in this game. thats the only way to win
7 nov. 2017 à 22 h 12
Ok, but if RAIF knows that he's just gonna circle back to standing pat, why would he waste time negotiating with people?
8 nov. 2017 à 12 h 42
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Bo53Horvat
Okay, well the Boston GM doesn't continuously and consistently waste peoples time in negotiations.

sorry, but i'm not wasting people's time. If a team makes an offer i shouldn't just ignore it, and we can talk about potential deals for the future. If a GM makes a trade offer, that's not me wasting their time.
8 nov. 2017 à 12 h 43
Black Lives Matter
I will eventually make deals, it's just probably not happening right now.
8 nov. 2017 à 16 h 16
Lets Go Blues
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,333
Modifié 8 nov. 2017 à 16 h 21
Didn't want to break any rules about using the BOE thread, so I'll drop this here:

Quoting: F50marco

I'm not sure I follow the 2-4 , 4-2 swap meaning/significance? Is that the trade rating you mean? if that's the case then how is this trade so bad its not even up for revision like the others?

Also have to look past current circumstances only too, philly. Its too much the "Flavour of the week" around here. Its the reason us fans trade the entire team away after 10 games because their team won only one game. Reality is those players are still good and will rebound, sure they took a hit in value but smart GM's don't move those players at that time. They wait till they've rebounded because they usually do. Arizona is one of the worst teams in the league this year and on pace to even beat last years Colorado. Is Mackinnon's value so low? Players still hold value when the team around is sucking.

Duclair was a top prospect only a few years ago. Scored 20 goals as a rookie essentially and is going @ roughly 0.5 ppg at the moment so his value while is still low, is not as bad as it was last year. He's playing in a significantly worse team overall then most of the teams in the league these past 3 years. Eventually a player just needs a new start (or more accurately a better team) but still has all the talent he had previously. That doesn't just go away. Especially with a 22 year old...... Saying his value won't gain over time is totally presumptuous. You don't know that. He could be traded IRL to a playoff team where his confidence could rebound easily, and what then? Similar to saying Steel is a slam dunk guaranteed superstar stud...... remember Ryan Strome. Michael Dal Colle. Sam Bennett. etc. What if ten years down the line, Steel doesn't pan out as a super stud everyone thinks he does (but still is a decent NHL'er at least) and Duclair is traded to MTL IRL for example where he is given better minutes next to Drouin and Lehkonen for a full season and produces a moderate 20+20? All of a sudden I'm looking pretty bad. Can i get a trade reverted then? Oh no, that's true, you risk taking a prospect with no NHL experience at face value when he doesn't pan out but right now you have to overpay for him? Prospects are still prospects at the end of the day. Only a select few (Matthews, Laine, etc) get that automatic level of value.

I get it, I like Steel too obviously and hope he can translate those numbers in junior to the NHL but realistically what are the odds he becomes a pt/g player in the NHL or even close to it? You'd be quick to check that most picks DON'T reach their potential. Scoring in juniors means nothing. He is a 19 year old dangling against 15-16-17-18 year old youngsters still looking to get laid for the 1st time........ Im sorry but at that age and against that competition, a player can easily attain silly numbers. There are plenty of examples that can be made (Sam Gagner comes to mind). If you're telling me to look at his point totals and say "look at how many points he scored last year 131!" then don't tell me not to point to Duclair's 44 points in his rookie season in the NHL only 2 years ago or OEL's 21 Gs - 55 pts two years ago or his 39 points last year which is widely considered as a really down season for him. Which funny enough is the same output Fowler had last year and everyone is raving about the superstar he is now...... The same guy that is considered the #1 in Anaheim ahead of Lindholm.

As for OEL vs Lindholm, this debate will definitely be split down the middle. Its quite apparent its an analytics vs everyone else type mentality. I personally think some ppl exaggerate Lindholms defensive game then by that same token they downplay OEL's offensive game. I don't think that's fair especially when attempting to remain unbiased in the situation. Both are close in age yet one has accomplished a lot more in notoriety with a much worse team over the years. Its really unfortunate playing in Arizona is taking away from a player's value in fans eyes when people within the NHL themselves state OEL is one of the best dmen in the game...... Oh and in his prime to boot........... "Oh he'll get a huge raise in free agency so his value is less as a result" ??? So if he gets 10M because he is a stud top pairing dman on any team that's a negative but if he gets 6.5-7M, "See he's only as good as Yandle or Shattenkirk"........... This logic is flawed.......

The value of the 1st round pick is a little muggy for me also. We honestly have no way of knowing where that pick will end up. At least IRL we can get a somewhat grasp of where teams will finish and then the lottery might move a couple teams as it did this past year but your proposal seems to make me think it could be all over the place within the lottery picks. Also what happens if the GM of that pick then goes on to make two absolutely great deals afterwards that move him up the power rankings? Now that pick doesn't seem so low after all.....

I think first of all, not being able to explain why this move is valid is unfair (Or at the very least revise-worthy). Frankly I opened a debate for this in the NHL thread and have yet to be given ample evidence that OEL is not a more valuable player than Lindholm straight up. Secondly, you are looking at much of the Anaheim pieces in the best possible light. Guess what, Duchene with two years left on his contract at 6M before becoming UFA, after having his worst season of his career, after having a decent but not very good start to this year, was traded for:

Shane Bowers (1st round pick)
Andrew Hammond (Cheapish cap dump)
Samuel Girard (2nd round pick)
Vladislav Kamenev (2nd round pick)
2018 1st round pick (OTT)
2018 2nd round pick (NSH)
2019 3rd round pick (OTT)

Let that sink in for a bit and tell me how my offer is so unbelievably way off ......... wjncar and I can revise the deal if needed but the frame work for the deal is there and is valid.

Just want to say, that was an entertaining read Marco. I think you make a decent case for the deal to be slightly revised, not laughed off the face of the earth. You are right to say that no one made a convincing argument in the discussion thread that OEL is < Lindholm. The biggest issue for me (just an innocent bystander with no power here) is the add-ons - even though you contend that Duclair and Steel have very unknown futures, I think the best approach would be to remove the picks from the deal. Just my $0.02, but I would hate for the 2018 1st overall (a strong possibility, given ANA track record, no offense) to be awarded in a controversial trade...
8 nov. 2017 à 16 h 35
Not yet trannycided
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 2,016
Quoting: AK_tune
(snip)

Affirmative. If I was able to revise my two, uh... thefts, then Marco should too. Bring it to a solid 4-2 and the deal will be more palatable.
8 nov. 2017 à 16 h 49
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 6,735
Didn't want to break any rules about using the BOE thread, so I'll drop this here:

Let that sink in for a bit and tell me how my offer is so unbelievably way off ......... wjncar and I can revise the deal if needed but the frame work for the deal is there and is valid.

Just want to say, that was an entertaining read Marco. I think you make a decent case for the deal to be slightly revised, not laughed off the face of the earth. You are right to say that no one made a convincing argument in the discussion thread that OEL is < Lindholm. The biggest issue for me (just an innocent bystander with no power here) is the add-ons - even though you contend that Duclair and Steel have very unknown futures, I think the best approach would be to remove the picks from the deal. Just my $0.02, but I would hate for the 2018 1st overall (a strong possibility, given ANA track record, no offense) to be awarded in a controversial trade...

Thanks AK. I'm not asking for the trade to be accepted outright. I'm asking for us to be able to go revise it.

Absolutely understand the draft pick part too. I wasn't too keen on the idea of the draft order to begin with frankly. I think my side needs to be viewed unbiased as well. Im stuck with Arizona whose the worst team in the league according to IRL events so I clearly need the draft pick help and within the GM game construct I won't get a good pick either because Im a good GM?? Damned if i do, damned if i don't.

As for the pick process in place. Lets say I pony up for the pick now and add a bunch of stuff. Come April, lets say wjncar quits and someone else took over in December, who makes great trade after great trade and waivers claims and whatever else makes the power ranking go up? Now that pick that I traded so much for in November has risen up to out of the lottery picks. Is the trade so much of a steal (no pun intended) now?.....

Everyone is assuming Anaheim's pick is guaranteed a low pick. So much can change from now till the end of the year. Its not like in the NHL where the Coyotes would have to go 40-10 the rest of the way in the season to make their draft position the same. The system in place can change the value of that pick drastically from now to April.

So yeah, Lindholm is pretty damn good. I think many would argue he's not as good as OEL. Yeah, Steel has good potential and scored a lot of points in junior. So did Yakupov or Ryan Strome. Yeah, that 1st right now looks good, is it a lock to be that good come April? Not so sure about that.
8 nov. 2017 à 17 h 0
Lets Go Blues
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,333

Thanks AK. I'm not asking for the trade to be accepted outright. I'm asking for us to be able to go revise it.

Absolutely understand the draft pick part too. I wasn't too keen on the idea of the draft order to begin with frankly. I think my side needs to be viewed unbiased as well. Im stuck with Arizona whose the worst team in the league according to IRL events so I clearly need the draft pick help and within the GM game construct I won't get a good pick either because Im a good GM?? Damned if i do, damned if i don't.

As for the pick process in place. Lets say I pony up for the pick now and add a bunch of stuff. Come April, lets say wjncar quits and someone else took over in December, who makes great trade after great trade and waivers claims and whatever else makes the power ranking go up? Now that pick that I traded so much for in November has risen up to out of the lottery picks. Is the trade so much of a steal (no pun intended) now?.....

Everyone is assuming Anaheim's pick is guaranteed a low pick. So much can change from now till the end of the year. Its not like in the NHL where the Coyotes would have to go 40-10 the rest of the way in the season to make their draft position the same. The system in place can change the value of that pick drastically from now to April.

So yeah, Lindholm is pretty damn good. I think many would argue he's not as good as OEL. Yeah, Steel has good potential and scored a lot of points in junior. So did Yakupov or Ryan Strome. Yeah, that 1st right now looks good, is it a lock to be that good come April? Not so sure about that.

Good point about the construct of the game screwing the bad teams. As a bad team myself, this worries me... but:

There are rumblings that the draft will include a lottery... I can't see the rules doc anymore but that would change things. I also recall now that the power rankings "weight" team quality more than trades and signings (GM stuff), so I don't think the bad teams are screwed if that's the case. Anywho, good luck with your BOE Court Case haha, I can try to help out if called upon. You've changed my mind quite a bit compared to when I first saw the trade.
8 nov. 2017 à 17 h 9
Démarrer sujet
You can craft an entirely new deal...that won't stop a "revision" of the last one.

Also, you can predict where that pick will be with public information located throughout the game. It will be a high one, based on current estimations.

Also, that rule Doc got deleted by me accidentally. I was cleaning my drive and clicked it. Fear not, I have the same information on a Word.doc
8 nov. 2017 à 17 h 13
Démarrer sujet
The previous ways revisions worked were you had to present a trade to the BOE and then we would either allow or veto.

We found that ineffective since you could just make the trade separately.

So in a sense, you have a chance to "revise" but it would fall under the catagory of "new"

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage