SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

23 avr. à 11 h 57
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,010
Quoting: RipNasty
I am not sure you watched the game. He had several moments of nervousness. He chases the play too often. I would see he was one of the weaker defenceman in the game. Him and Benoit had a lot of tough moments that resulted in TO being hemmed into their own zone.

https://hockeystatcards.com/single

With a scrum and an apple...

For a player making under league min and playing Pair 1... That's good
23 avr. à 11 h 59
Rip
Mentions "j'aime": 3,102
Quoting: Leafsfan98
https://hockeystatcards.com/single

With a scrum and an apple...

For a player making under league min and playing Pair 1... That's good

Getting into scrums is the dumbest thing to cheer for.
23 avr. à 12 h 5
Leafs going to Leafs
Getting into scrums is the dumbest thing to cheer for.

Standing up for your teammates is something to cheer for, not getting bullied is also something to cheer for
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
23 avr. à 12 h 41
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,757
To me Järnkrok scored last night, Ullmark glove was behind the post on the shot then Ullmark pulled it to the post to make sure the puck didn't slip out followed by dramatic fall to show he did save it.

So balant but I get it... it's not 100% what happened
23 avr. à 12 h 45
hey look a squirrel
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,757
Quoting: Random2152
Send him to Utah along with Kampf for local boys Crouse, McBain, and Doan. With Mitch's contract up I doubt we could get more

Omg I have dreaming of his for a year.
Marner needs to go, we usually get to dependent on him and the he fails to deliver in the playoffs.

He's good player but trading him will solve our cap issues and help address our D.

Will it be easy to replace Marner, no, never will be... but it is time.
23 avr. à 12 h 50
Rip
Standing up for your teammates is something to cheer for, not getting bullied is also something to cheer for

I didn't mind him going after Coyle there. But you are beyond rational when it comes to physical play. Just wanting blood for the sake of it is dumb
23 avr. à 13 h 5
Leafs going to Leafs
I didn't mind him going after Coyle there. But you are beyond rational when it comes to physical play. Just wanting blood for the sake of it is dumb

Yep, just like when I was defending the Reaves hit-goal in G1... 🙄
23 avr. à 13 h 22
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,047
I know people using stats to attack Marner dont

The moment we see Ilya Lybushkin second in XGF shoot em into the sun

Marner's been fine this series. He's taking on the defensive assignments, he's been fine, dont be silly

If he was taking stupid penalties all through both game 1 and 2 fine but he's not.

Once Willy comes back everyone should start clicking as then the responsibility will lessen

As for the whole trade thing. Just wait for JT to go. There's the cap space. Marner comes back 1.1m raise and the remaining 9.9m can be used on a 2c and other area's
oneX a aimé ceci.
23 avr. à 16 h 33
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,636
Quoting: aadoyle

Marner's been fine this series. He's taking on the defensive assignments, he's been fine, dont be silly

Fine is not good enough. If the Leafs want to have tangible playoff success, Marner has to be way better than fine.

When you make 10-11 sheets a year, that comes with added responsibilities, added pressures and yeah he's going to get critiqued moreso than the non core players.

He pits the media and fans as if what people say control his play. Go out and play, show why you're a top player in this league WHEN IT MATTERS.

Matthews really brought it in way last night that I haven't seen before and it refreshing to see. Good on him!
23 avr. à 16 h 49
Just Keep Swimming
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 5,658
Quoting: oneX
Fine is not good enough. If the Leafs want to have tangible playoff success, Marner has to be way better than fine.

When you make 10-11 sheets a year, that comes with added responsibilities, added pressures and yeah he's going to get critiqued moreso than the non core players.

He pits the media and fans as if what people say control his play. Go out and play, show why you're a top player in this league WHEN IT MATTERS.

Matthews really brought it in way last night that I haven't seen before and it refreshing to see. Good on him!

If he was taking stupid penalties all through both game 1 and 2 fine but he's not.

Once Willy comes back everyone should start clicking as then the responsibility will lessen

As for the whole trade thing. Just wait for JT to go. There's the cap space. Marner comes back 1.1m raise and the remaining 9.9m can be used on a 2c and other area's

Yeah, have you guys seen this ****?

This isnt a stats issue. This is outright a Marner issue
23 avr. à 16 h 53
Hakuna Matata

So we're going to pick and play issues

We could point to other guys making similar plays if we doing that but who cares they won

The whole JT line has been meh. That line looked great with McMann and no disrespect to Knies but yea he was more noticeable on the 4th line

Kevin pappetti tweet says it all lul
23 avr. à 16 h 56
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 23 avr. à 17 h 36
Quoting: oneX

Fine is good enough to have won them a game. Yes we want everyone clicking but so far they won with Nylander out and JT and Marner sleeping 5 on 5

When Willy gets back and those two wake up look out

Series is tied and we have seen this before as never once had all the big 4 clicked together in playoffs. We dont know how Willy gonna be when he comes back, we dont know if Matthews will continue this play we saw game 2 through the series as he has been hot and cold in playoffs, and JT well PP wise he's great 5 on 5 so far its been ZZZZ when is he gonna wake up. Heck where's playoff Rielly
23 avr. à 16 h 58
Just Keep Swimming
So we're going to pick and play issues

We could point to other guys making similar plays if we doing that but who cares they won

The whole JT line has been meh. That line looked great with McMann and no disrespect to Knies but yea he was more noticeable on the 4th line

Kevin pappetti tweet says it all lul

Yes were going to pick individual plays, because Mitch is on the wrong end of a ton of them and isnt providing any meaningful value.

He is a liability
23 avr. à 17 h 25
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 23 avr. à 17 h 42
Yes were going to pick individual plays, because Mitch is on the wrong end of a ton of them and isnt providing any meaningful value.

He is a liability

https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1782609510974021786?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Like if we want to nitpick there be clips of Willy in the TBL series not looking great

JT and Matthews not looking great in FLA

He aint a liability stop being silly

Guys coming back from a high ankle sprain and those take a while to fully heal

But if were being nitpicks we can say that about all the guys as we have seen fumbles from everyone at various points this and last playoffs especially from the other big 4.

Heck we dont know how Willy's gonna be once he comes back from injury . Its all ifs ands or buts
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
23 avr. à 17 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 23 avr. à 17 h 45
https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1782609510974021786?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Like if we want to nitpick there be clips of Willy in the TBL series not looking great

JT and Matthews not looking great in FLA

He aint a liability stop being silly

If were being nitpicks we can say that about all the guys as we have seen fumbles from everyone at various points this and last playoffs.

Heck we dont know how Willy's gonna be once he comes back from injury . Its all ifs ands or buts

If anything should they win the series without needing to rely on Marner for offense or a in the lineup/healthy Willy thats a huge accomplishment and whenever those two get going that can lead to a cup run. As if they keeping up with the Bruins now imagine when those two get going

Marchessault is a good example for that. Horrible start to playoffs won the Con Smythe. Each can get hot and cold at any moment. Matthews woke up game 2 lets see who follows.
23 avr. à 17 h 50
Rip
Yep, just like when I was defending the Reaves hit-goal in G1... 🙄

You only see what you want to see. And ignore everything else. Reaves has been fine. Marner has been fine as well. But unless he gets 10 points a game you are going to say he's invisible because he doesn't get into scrums after the whistle.
23 avr. à 17 h 53
Rip

This is the dumbest thing I have seen today. One isolated play where he clearly thought he could side step the guy and get the puck on the other side of him. It didn't work out but getting hit into the boards wouldn't have been much better. Man the Marner haters are the biggest losers in the fanbase.

On one had I get it, he frustrates me often as well, but he's a 100 point winger. He's a selke finalist. And he's 27. Yeah let's throw him away for pennies on the dollar so we can go sign Pesce to 7.5 million to be a 4.5 million dollar defenceman.
23 avr. à 17 h 59
Rip
Fine is good enough to have won them a game. Yes we want everyone clicking but so far they won with Nylander out and JT and Marner sleeping 5 on 5

When Willy gets back and those two wake up look out

Series is tied and we have seen this before as never once had all the big 4 clicked together in playoffs. We dont know how Willy gonna be when he comes back, we dont know if Matthews will continue this play we saw game 2 through the series as he has been hot and cold in playoffs, and JT well PP wise he's great 5 on 5 so far its been ZZZZ when is he gonna wake up. Heck where's playoff Rielly

The actual reality about Matthews is he doesn't go hot and cold he's had some crazy bad luck in the playoffs. He's hit the post more than everyone else in the playoffs other than Kucherov who's played 20 some more games over the same timeframe. Thats just plain bad luck. Imagine what happens when he gets a stretch of good luck and all those go in. Matthews is a monster and he's not going to be stifled this year I would wager.

Marner I think is still not 100%. He doesn't look as confident holding the puck and on his edge work. It may take him a week or two more to get his leg back to 100% strength
23 avr. à 17 h 59
Rip

He is a liability

Spoken like a guy who only wants to see negative
23 avr. à 18 h 0
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 23 avr. à 18 h 6
The actual reality about Matthews is he doesn't go hot and cold he's had some crazy bad luck in the playoffs. He's hit the post more than everyone else in the playoffs other than Kucherov who's played 20 some more games over the same timeframe. Thats just plain bad luck. Imagine what happens when he gets a stretch of good luck and all those go in. Matthews is a monster and he's not going to be stifled this year I would wager.

Marner I think is still not 100%. He doesn't look as confident holding the puck and on his edge work. It may take him a week or two more to get his leg back to 100% strength

Luck or no luck we have seen Matthews go hot and cold

There have been games or series where he looked pretty bad. But again this happens with everyone and is where nitpicks come in

Again we have seen it through the years non of the big 4 seem to all want to click together its always two at a time. Imagine if they all clicked same time every game every series

We would probs have a SC for sure even with **** goaltending or meh defense. As when those 4 all click we rarely lose

If they can just all start clicking now that be great lul
23 avr. à 18 h 13
Rip
If anything should they win the series without needing to rely on Marner for offense or a in the lineup/healthy Willy thats a huge accomplishment and whenever those two get going that can lead to a cup run. As if they keeping up with the Bruins now imagine when those two get going

Marchessault is a good example for that. Horrible start to playoffs won the Con Smythe. Each can get hot and cold at any moment. Matthews woke up game 2 lets see who follows.

I do think you need to drop the whole ideal that unless a player scores a goal that they didn't show is just silly. Matthews pushes the play constantly, he defends well and sometimes the randomness of hockey will see that come up short. It's like when people say Tkachuk carried Florida to a win over TO and Matthews didn't show up. Matthews in fact had way more chances than Tkachuk, tilted the ice in his favor and hit the post 3 times in 5 games. Not to mention the many, many incredible saves he forced Bobrovsky to make. Just a little luck in that round and Matthews could have had a dominant series. Not producing isn't always not showing up.

Even JT and Marner have been playing hard in their own zone, the offence hasn't quite come yet but I think that has a lot to do with the defence as well. 2/3rds or our defence are hopelessly bad at moving the puck up ice. Benoit can't pass to save his life, Edmunson is a chip it off the glass guy. McCabe sometimes can get a clean breakout but it's not always pretty with him as well. Lybushkin is pure chaos with the puck on his stick. Liljegren and Rielly are the only two guys who can move the puck up ice. Rielly gets a lot of shifts when Matthews is on the ice and that is a massively under discussed issue with the team. If the defence can't get the puck in the hands of our forwards with speed then we are going to be forced to dump it in all the time.
23 avr. à 18 h 14
Rip
Luck or no luck we have seen Matthews go hot and cold

There have been games or series where he looked pretty bad. But again this happens with everyone and is where nitpicks come in

Again we have seen it through the years non of the big 4 seem to all want to click together its always two at a time. Imagine if they all clicked same time every game every series

We would probs have a SC for sure even with **** goaltending or meh defense. As when those 4 all click we rarely lose

If they can just all start clicking now that be great lul

Maybe who knows. As you mentioned though a win is a win. The over the top Marner hate that's still going on now is hilariously stupid.
23 avr. à 18 h 29
Just Keep Swimming
Maybe who knows. As you mentioned though a win is a win. The over the top Marner hate that's still going on now is hilariously stupid.

Its because he is bad 5 of 6 years in the playoffs. To steal a basketball term, he can be played off the court. For a player as good as him, taking up a critical amount of space - that is a huge issue
23 avr. à 18 h 42
Rip
Its because he is bad 5 of 6 years in the playoffs. To steal a basketball term, he can be played off the court. For a player as good as him, taking up a critical amount of space - that is a huge issue

So when he figures out the playoffs, do you want that to be for the leafs or anyone else after your trade him for Crouse straight up because that's the cool thing to do on here?
23 avr. à 19 h 8
Hakuna Matata
Anyways lets get those 3 wins needed to go to R2

GLG

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage