Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

17 janv. à 1 h 30
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Modifié 17 janv. à 1 h 39
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I mean I'm not really giving up hope yet. Atleast we aren't buying into a team that we know is garbage. These are the growing pains of retooling a roster to fit a different mindset, like the 2019-20 Leafs. I have no doubt they'll figure it out, and I am a fan of Treliving's roster construction philosophies (that Calgary blueline was a work of art). I can't say that the results this season have really been surprising, and atleast the core is locked up so we don't have to worry about them

I'm not giving up yet. Whether that belief is blissful ignorance or not is yet to be seen, but I think the Leafs will be fine. Keefe will finish this season as head coach, the Leafs will make no major moves at the TDL (maybe a Robertson / Timmins prospect swap of sorts?), and we will get bounced in the first round of the playoffs. It'll be the same old story as always.

I personally like to think that the lack of success recently has fallen largely on our goaltending. This team will be fine when Woll is back. I also believe that this kind of forward group is EXACTLY what Treliving wants, but the blueline is still a long ways off. That'll be the priority this summer. For now, I want to see some strategic long term additions. Give me Alex Texier, give me Brandon Duhaime, give me Mario Ferraro (unless he costs more than like a 2nd round pick combined). Just be smart with our assets, that's all I want

I could not be more on the other side of this thought process but I appreciate you still having faith 🤜

I am petrified we are entering the world of the “mushy middle” in the NHL.

We have Auston Matthews on pace for 67 goals, Nylander on pace for 111 points, Marner on pace for 92 points, Rielly is on pace for 14 goals 69 points (his highest since 18/19) and every single addition Treliving has made is terrible.

This team is actually in danger of missing the playoffs. That’s fukcin nuts.

Tyler Bertuzzi for all his super underlining numbers has less goals than Morgan Rielly.

Max Domi has no natural fit on this roster.

David Kampf is dragging down everyone he plays with.

John Klingberg was a disaster.

Ryan Reaves is a disaster.

Noah Gregor is fast, with no idea what do to next

I have zero faith in Treliving’s ability to build around this group and we are totally fukced now because everyone of consequence that you could move has a full NMC.

I am definitely half glass empty

Lastly, as a full on Sheldon Keefe hater, he is not the problem right now. This is a bad roster construction
oneX, NorthernLeafsFan05 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 janv. à 1 h 47
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,627
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I mean I'm not really giving up hope yet. Atleast we aren't buying into a team that we know is garbage. These are the growing pains of retooling a roster to fit a different mindset, like the 2019-20 Leafs. I have no doubt they'll figure it out, and I am a fan of Treliving's roster construction philosophies (that Calgary blueline was a work of art). I can't say that the results this season have really been surprising, and atleast the core is locked up so we don't have to worry about them

I'm not giving up yet. Whether that belief is blissful ignorance or not is yet to be seen, but I think the Leafs will be fine. Keefe will finish this season as head coach, the Leafs will make no major moves at the TDL (maybe a Robertson / Timmins prospect swap of sorts?), and we will get bounced in the first round of the playoffs. It'll be the same old story as always.

I personally like to think that the lack of success recently has fallen largely on our goaltending. This team will be fine when Woll is back. I also believe that this kind of forward group is EXACTLY what Treliving wants, but the blueline is still a long ways off. That'll be the priority this summer. For now, I want to see some strategic long term additions. Give me Alex Texier, give me Brandon Duhaime, give me Mario Ferraro (unless he costs more than like a 2nd round pick combined). Just be smart with our assets, that's all I want

I agree with most of what you've said. The part I'm troubled by is $$$ allocation. Yeah it's great to have these top forwards, just wished the organization would have smartened up a bit on negotiations because that could have meant a more balanced roster.

Right now, if the top 2 lines aren't continuously racking up the goals, the team loses because defensively they haven't figured out the "bend but don't break" strategy.

Also I know there's alot of faith in young Woll but especially looking into next season, the team should want a goalie who will push Woll for minutes. The whole idea of "iron sharpens iron".
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
17 janv. à 1 h 59
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,627
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Lastly, as a full on Sheldon Keefe hater, he is not the problem right now. This is a bad roster construction

On the roster construction part yep, right there with you.

I remember you and I wanted Keefe gone at least a year ago and that didn't happen and really nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned except that I don't see a point to get rid of Keefe mid season because I don't believe the coaches currently available are good fits for this roster.

I do believe Keefe is a problem but there's many problems and he just happens to be part of a long list.

It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
17 janv. à 2 h 26
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,960
Modifié 17 janv. à 2 h 33
Quoting: oneX
On the roster construction part yep, right there with you.

I remember you and I wanted Keefe gone at least a year ago and that didn't happen and really nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned except that I don't see a point to get rid of Keefe mid season because I don't believe the coaches currently available are good fits for this roster.

I do believe Keefe is a problem but there's many problems and he just happens to be part of a long list.

It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

There wont be a coach next year so how long we gonna wait lul

Keefe has been HC since 2019-2020 season

They have had incredible reg seasons but **** playoffs under him

Now they not having a good reg season with him and his system seems to be failing or players are going system what system we play how we want.

To me its time for Berube. A guy who knows how to win, has won, and who is not afraid to make the big choices

He took the Blues who were outside a playoff spot who were fighting eachother at practice to winning the cup for the first time since 1967 against Cassidy's Bruins

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TSk_L-T8Djs

Imagine him doing this rn and especially to Willy

Cause yea for those blaming roster construction besides the Dcore the forwards should be better, and goaltending be Voodo thats it

Domi and Bertuzzi are fine as its really playoffs were waiting for and both have had spurts of success its just not been consistent. Maybe a new HC with a new system will allow them to shine. Other guys be on LTIR and the money's sitting there. We should use it
17 janv. à 2 h 36
Hakuna Matata
Heck if people dont want Berube

Hire Roy

Now its risky but if he can do to Toronto what he did with his Junior team wouldnt be opposed to it as they played hard
17 janv. à 2 h 47
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 17 janv. à 4 h 29
I could not be more on the other side of this thought process but I appreciate you still having faith 🤜

I am petrified we are entering the world of the “mushy middle” in the NHL.

We have Auston Matthews on pace for 67 goals, Nylander on pace for 111 points, Marner on pace for 92 points, Rielly is on pace for 14 goals 69 points (his highest since 18/19) and every single addition Treliving has made is terrible.

This team is actually in danger of missing the playoffs. That’s fukcin nuts.

Tyler Bertuzzi for all his super underlining numbers has less goals than Morgan Rielly.

Max Domi has no natural fit on this roster.

David Kampf is dragging down everyone he plays with.

John Klingberg was a disaster.

Ryan Reaves is a disaster.

Noah Gregor is fast, with no idea what do to next

I have zero faith in Treliving’s ability to build around this group and we are totally fukced now because everyone of consequence that you could move has a full NMC.

I am definitely half glass empty

I mean Reaves and Klingberg = LTIR money that can be used rn.

So not really disasters as u didnt have to give anything up to get either can burry one for 200k of a cap hit to create space to add.

Look at CGY rn they starting to do things after a slow start

Got a top 2 pair Dcore I would kill to have (Weegar-Andersson, Hanafin-Tanev), have some nice prospects coming up along Zary and Posposil were Brad picks

Kadri woke up to, Coleman is having himself a season, Backlund looks good, Markstrom 0.912 SV only meh is Huberdeau and Lindholm

In general only guy agree is Gregor

For Bertuzzi and Domi both have had patches where they have been good just wish it would be consistent but like the big 4 nobody be consistent

Like to me when Domi and Robertson be playing together or when Domi's up as the 2c were seeing some good stuff.

Only thing consistent is entire team is inconsistent

For starters need JT and Willy to wake the **** up

Butbyea Button be right defensive structure in terms of how they play rn be bleh and thats on the HC

Either get Keefe a new toy to play with or bring someone new in
17 janv. à 8 h 0
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: RipNasty
The refs are not good tonight

Nah, the refs weren't there... Only 9 Oilers players vs 5 Leafs players
17 janv. à 8 h 6
Leafs going to Leafs
Let's be real...

Leafs were the better team last night, so why are we all frustrated...

EDM lucking the refs were so awful (i.e. allowing them to punch Rielly in the head or high stick Matthews or slash Gregor or pick on Marner etc.)
17 janv. à 9 h 13
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Let's be real...

Leafs were the better team last night, so why are we all frustrated...

EDM lucking the refs were so awful (i.e. allowing them to punch Rielly in the head or high stick Matthews or slash Gregor or pick on Marner etc.)

I mean if you think last night is the only reason for some of us having frustration, not sure what to say.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but for a team you believe was the better team last night:

ozone time of possession EDM: 10:50
ozone time of possession TOR: 6:53
17 janv. à 9 h 59
Leafs going to Leafs
I mean if you think last night is the only reason for some of us having frustration, not sure what to say.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but for a team you believe was the better team last night:

ozone time of possession EDM: 10:50
ozone time of possession TOR: 6:53

Yeah, bc Toronto was up in the game was early that they were playing conservatively...

Then factor in Matthews post, Skinner SOY candidate, etc. and the Leafs were the better team

And then, factor in that the Oilers should've have had a 2 minutes interference for screening (JT much?) and a high stick on Matthews which would have prevent a 2+ minutes shift from Benoit which would have stopped the winning goal from happening... And the 1rst goal being horses**t from Jones. Leafs were the better team

Now, I acknowledge that the better team doesn't always win game like in this instance so what's my solution?

Truthfully, couldn't tell you... Bc the issue was that the Leafs didn't trade a player when their value is at his highest and now his current play makes him unmovable

I guess you'd have to start thinking about Keefe, but the only solution there is Gallant but 2/4 of the core 4 don't like being told they need to start playing hard so Shanny won't do it...
17 janv. à 12 h 30
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/Abrew2014/status/1747637775455645699

Love Brewers play by play on the game winner highlighting mistakes

And this is something we have seen happen these past 3 games

AVS, DET, EDM

They just cant close out games.
17 janv. à 12 h 48
McMann Season
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 941
I honestly don’t see how we improve much without moving on from Shanny
17 janv. à 13 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 17 janv. à 13 h 20
Quoting: CameronSquires
I honestly don’t see how we improve much without moving on from Shanny

Moving on from a president wont really do much lul

He went out hired Dubas, Pridham, and Hunter, Lou, etc. No no on ice issues are his thing.

In general the philosophy starts lower. Big 4 all bent their GMs over got their money then decide to not play all the time. Matthews 1 goal and 1 assist walked away with a -1 last night

Willy's been a ghost since signing that new deal, JT looks 10 years older these last 4 games, and Marner well he makes nice passes

Coach wont smack some sense into em, new voice below is needed as it seems Keefe words or system is going in one ear of the players and coming out the other. Team is also missing a 2nd pair RD thats on the GM to fix not Shanny. Shanny can fire Keefe and bring someone new in. But Brads also got work to do and or Keefe is hes still around by after Sunday. That is unless they win their next 3.
17 janv. à 13 h 18
Amirov Forever
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 6,036
New thread (didn't we just make this one???)
17 janv. à 13 h 24
Hakuna Matata
Yeah, bc Toronto was up in the game was early that they were playing conservatively...

Then factor in Matthews post, Skinner SOY candidate, etc. and the Leafs were the better team

And then, factor in that the Oilers should've have had a 2 minutes interference for screening (JT much?) and a high stick on Matthews which would have prevent a 2+ minutes shift from Benoit which would have stopped the winning goal from happening... And the 1rst goal being horses**t from Jones. Leafs were the better team

Now, I acknowledge that the better team doesn't always win game like in this instance so what's my solution?

Truthfully, couldn't tell you... Bc the issue was that the Leafs didn't trade a player when their value is at his highest and now his current play makes him unmovable

I guess you'd have to start thinking about Keefe, but the only solution there is Gallant but 2/4 of the core 4 don't like being told they need to start playing hard so Shanny won't do it...

Hes a 1 year wonder coach hell nah

His system basically works for one year then comes down to earth the following year

Were not gonna go sign this guy to fire him after 2 years like VGK and NYR did. MLSE and management know the deal guys not good
17 janv. à 13 h 25
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Hes a 1 year wonder coach hell nah

His system basically works for one year then comes down to earth the following year

Were not gonna go sign this guy to fire him after 2 years like VGK and NYR did

You mean when they'll be a better solution to the problem?
17 janv. à 13 h 28
Hakuna Matata
You mean when they'll be a better solution to the problem?

In general MLSE wont want to go get a coach thats gonna be fired in only 2 years

They gonna want someone who they see being here beyond 3 years.

As we cant keep getting new coaches.

Gallant's a guy whose system is a 1 year wonder. We dont need that as after a year and a half or two we dont need to be talking about firing and looking for someone new
17 janv. à 13 h 29
Leafs going to Leafs
In general MLSE wont want to go get a coach thats gonna be fired in only 2 years

They gonna want someone for at least 4 years

As we cant keep getting new coaches.

Gallant's a guy whose system is a 1 year wonder. We dont need that

And your solution is another 1 year coach or a coach who's worse than Keefe?
17 janv. à 13 h 30
Hakuna Matata
And your solution is another 1 year coach or a coach who's worse than Keefe?

Berube is better than Keefe lul

Who has a cup?

Keefe hes got the handshake cup
17 janv. à 13 h 31
Leafs going to Leafs

Who has a cup?

1 year wonder right there...

Then right back to 1rst and 2nd round exits he goes
17 janv. à 13 h 33
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 17 janv. à 13 h 39
1 year wonder right there...

Then right back to 1rst and 2nd round exits he goes

Tor really cant claim back to 2nd round exits when they only acheived it once since the Matthews era

Berube with the blues = cup, 2nd round, 1st round, 2nd round. Lot of the later struggles came thanks to Binnington and roster construction afterwards.

Thats better than Keefe's record Qualifying Round Loss, 1st round, 1st round, 1st round, 2nd round. Keefe should have been fired after the MTL series but nope Dubas didnt want his buddy to go heck Cassidy was available but nope

Give Berube these guys to work with he will get em further as look what he did for a Blues team outside a playoff spot, was fighting eachother during practice, and who almost a week before sold the TDL contemplated selling.

16 and 10 playoff run and a game 7 win over Bruins for first cup since 1967

As when we look at cup winners last 5 years hes up there

Berube
Cooper x 2
Bednar
Cassidy
17 janv. à 13 h 44
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512

Who has a cup?

That's a lazy reason

Babcock had cups
Carlyle had a cup

Vegas and Avalanche won with Bruce Cassidy and Jared Bednar as first time winners

Reality is that none of us are in the leafs' dressing room and none of us know what type of coaching personality is going to be able to come in, implement a system that we can win with, and get the players to buy in.

Maybe that's Berube...maybe it's friggin Doug Gilmour for all I know....maybe it's Keefe and he just needs guys that can play defense and a goalie to stop the puck.

Part of me thinks that Shanny needs to walk into the room and tell these guys that they aren't getting a new coach and they aren't getting any re-enforcements in. If they care about winning then the solution needs to come from within the group and someone needs to step the f* up and lead the charge. Stop waiting for someone else to fix the problem for them...go out and fight for a win
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
17 janv. à 13 h 49
Leafs going to Leafs
Tor really cant claim back to 2nd round exits when they only acheived it once since the Matthews era

Berube with the blues = cup, 2nd round, 1st round, 2nd round. Lot of the later struggles came thanks to Binnington and roster construction afterwards.

Thats better than Keefe's record Qualifying Round Loss, 1st round, 1st round, 1st round, 2nd round. Keefe should have been fired after the MTL series but nope Dubas didnt want his buddy to go heck Cassidy was available but nope

Give Berube these guys to work with he will get em further as look what he did for a Blues team outside a playoff spot, was fighting eachother during practice, and who almost a week before sold the TDL contemplated selling.

16 and 10 playoff run and a game 7 win over Bruins for first cup since 1967

As when we look at cup winners last 5 years hes up there

Berube
Cooper x 2
Bednar
Cassidy

But STL can

And again, besides the 1 run, no conference finals and no SCF to show for it...
17 janv. à 13 h 50
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Juice
That's a lazy reason

Babcock had cups
Carlyle had a cup

Vegas and Avalanche won with Bruce Cassidy and Jared Bednar as first time winners

Reality is that none of us are in the leafs' dressing room and none of us know what type of coaching personality is going to be able to come in, implement a system that we can win with, and get the players to buy in.

Maybe that's Berube...maybe it's friggin Doug Gilmour for all I know....maybe it's Keefe and he just needs guys that can play defense and a goalie to stop the puck.

Part of me thinks that Shanny needs to walk into the room and tell these guys that they aren't getting a new coach and they aren't getting any re-enforcements in. If they care about winning then the solution needs to come from within the group and someone needs to step the f* up and lead the charge. Stop waiting for someone else to fix the problem for them...go out and fight for a win

BC Shanny's always known to have kicked this group in the a*s
17 janv. à 13 h 50
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
That's a lazy reason

Babcock had cups
Carlyle had a cup

The difference between Berube and Babs is basically when u listen to the stories that came from both sides he was nothing but a Bully and a man who CBJ learned fast be almost a creep

Can I see your phone....Jesus
Make a list so I can embarrass you
Sit on the bench your not playing an outdoor game

Everything on Berube though has been good. Blues fans still dislike hes been fired. As what could he really do.

To me he is the guy for this team and his style of hockey fits how this team should be playing

He knows how to call out his guys, rally the troops and just seems perfect rn. As if he could take a team he stunk to the finals and win. I say have a go at it. Blues be paying him till next season anyways. Can probs get him nice and cheap.

Cause unless your gonna give Sheldon a new toy have to go well you have been here 4.5 seasons and EDM fired their guy after 2 nice regular seasons and 2 good playoff runs hmmmm

As idk if Shanny saying were not gonna do anything will improve things may even make it worse as big 4 might just completely shut themselves down to get ready for an even earlier golf tournament. As if Willy getting his money has = this level of play im scared to see if they go were not changing anything whats gonna happen.

Big 4 might end up -20 by the end lul
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage