SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

3 janv. à 11 h 48
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
Quoting: RipNasty
Trotz would run every rookie we have into the ground by never playing them.

maybe...he might also implement a functional d-structure that all our skill guys would have to buy in to.
3 janv. à 12 h 17
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
Quoting: Juice
I just think Timmins loses his minutes more than he earns them.....but that's just my opinion. He needs to make 9 great stretch passes to make up for every d-zone turnover

I hope Liljegren continues to see an increased role...I don't think there's any doubt that Brodie has Keefe's trust and so he'll get more minutes....if he's gone next year I think it could be a big year for Lilly.

When McCabe has a quality partner...he does well out there...but I'm not convinced he has a particularly high hockey IQ

Benoit, for me, has definitely been earning his minutes. I don't want to see him getting a bigger role....but I think he recognizes this team lacks toughness and grit and he's willing to try and fill that void...even if he's not that great at it....the willingness earns him some playing time for me

Timmins leads the Leafs at 5v5 in CF%/xGF%/HDCF%/HDGF%, and out scored opponents 12-7

Will never understand the lack of trust for him. Is he perfect, absolutely not, but in a sheltered role on the 3rd pair I’d LOVE that role to be his
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
3 janv. à 12 h 29
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Timmins leads the Leafs at 5v5 in CF%/xGF%/HDCF%/HDGF%, and out scored opponents 12-7

Will never understand the lack of trust for him. Is he perfect, absolutely not, but in a sheltered role on the 3rd pair I’d LOVE that role to be his

I'd love it to be his, too. I guess, with him, the problem is that when he makes a mistake...it tends to be a glaring one...and a lot of times it's unforced. Advanced stats aren't going to showcase that but a coach will definitely remember. Is that fair? Probably not
3 janv. à 12 h 35
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
I'd love it to be his, too. I guess, with him, the problem is that when he makes a mistake...it tends to be a glaring one...and a lot of times it's unforced. Advanced stats aren't going to showcase that but a coach will definitely remember. Is that fair? Probably not

For sure, the lack of standards Keefe has for “his guys” over the depth guys sucks.

TJ Brodie has been god awful this year and still continues to get his mins.
3 janv. à 12 h 39
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,121
When I watch those "Leaf Blueprint" episodes I always come away thinking he's a bit of a goof. I question if the players take him that seriously...and probably a little dangerous knowing they hold more power than he does.

I would love it if Coach Q was allowed out of purgatory or if the leafs simply pay Brind-Amour to leave Carolina...and definitely thought it was a missed opportunity when Barry Trotz was available.

I don't hate Keefe...but I agree that he's more a product of this team's skill vs adding anything to the equation

Coach Q would have been the option at the start due to nobody being available and MLSE going we need a winning good coach **** the media. But now things are different

As Woodcroft, Berube, and maybe Brid'Amour (summer) being an option
3 janv. à 12 h 40
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 janv. à 12 h 54
I just think Timmins loses his minutes more than he earns them.....but that's just my opinion. He needs to make 9 great stretch passes to make up for every d-zone turnover

I hope Liljegren continues to see an increased role...I don't think there's any doubt that Brodie has Keefe's trust and so he'll get more minutes....if he's gone next year I think it could be a big year for Lilly.

When McCabe has a quality partner...he does well out there...but I'm not convinced he has a particularly high hockey IQ

Benoit, for me, has definitely been earning his minutes. I don't want to see him getting a bigger role....but I think he recognizes this team lacks toughness and grit and he's willing to try and fill that void...even if he's not that great at it....the willingness earns him some playing time for me

The fact we got McCabe on his offside over him shows where Timmins stands

To many times that guy was just seen being bad in his own zone and especially in Buffalo it was unbearable.

He may have good stats here and there and provide offensive points but thats nothing when this teams 20th in defense

I think hes traded at the TDL in a package for an upgrade as Rielly be the only 1-way D we need.

Turning him and a 1st into Adam Larsson would be perfect
3 janv. à 12 h 54
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 janv. à 13 h 4

Go watch the buffalo game and other games that man in his own zone ew. Was getting Klingberg flashes

That man cannot defend and has a horrible eye test results yet has phenomenal stats. Reminds me of Gardiner and after a few playoffs with that guy pls no

Not wanting another one of those again as a small sample size for the good stats here can cloud people.
3 janv. à 13 h 24
Quoting: aadoyle
Coach Q would have been the option at the start due to nobody being available and MLSE going we need a winning good coach **** the media. But now things are different

As Woodcroft, Berube, and maybe Brid'Amour (summer) being an option

Edmonton and Toronto are very similar....can't see Woodcroft being anything other than a new voice....and Berube would be a different style for sure...wouldn't hate or love him....I just see Brind'Amour that has been able to implement a system and extract more from less....and the Hurricanes owner is notoriously cheap. If Rod is financially motivated, he's a gettable candidate.
3 janv. à 13 h 27
Hakuna Matata
Edmonton and Toronto are very similar....can't see Woodcroft being anything other than a new voice....and Berube would be a different style for sure...wouldn't hate or love him....I just see Brind'Amour that has been able to implement a system and extract more from less....and the Hurricanes owner is notoriously cheap. If Rod is financially motivated, he's a gettable candidate.

The thing with EDM is I dont think it was Wood that was the issue but instead the guy above. Also think players got to complacent and when he got fired they went oh **** we better act or were done for lul. Sadly it was the wakeup call they needed which is odd as the new guys using the same system just with new lineups lul.

Like Wood took EDM to R3 and R2 b2b years. Wouldnt mind him

But yea if I had to guess either its Berube or maybe Brind but that guy probs extended before offseason
3 janv. à 13 h 36
The thing with EDM is I dont think it was Wood that was the issue but instead the guy above. Also think players got to complacent and when he got fired they went oh **** we better act or were done for lul. Sadly it was the wakeup call they needed which is odd as the new guys using the same system just with new lineups lul.

But yea if I had to guess either its Berube or maybe Brind but that guy probs extended before offseason

Do you want to fire Keefe and give him a 5yr deal to find out, though?
3 janv. à 13 h 54
On Nylander….

5yrs is probably the ideal term, no?

If the goal is to keep the player throughout his most productive years, I don’t think we want to go to years 6,7 or 8 unless there’s cap savings involved

I don’t buy into Kyper saying 8x$11m, but for the sake of playing along:

5yrs @ $11.2
6yrs @ $11m
7yrs @ $10.5
8yrs @ $10

That’s the general direction I would go
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
3 janv. à 14 h 11
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,158

It should be. Keefe sucks though
3 janv. à 14 h 11
Rip
Go watch the buffalo game and other games that man in his own zone ew. Was getting Klingberg flashes

That man cannot defend and has a horrible eye test results yet has phenomenal stats. Reminds me of Gardiner and after a few playoffs with that guy pls no

Not wanting another one of those again as a small sample size for the good stats here can cloud people.

One game where the entire team gave up and you point to one player. Classic response
3 janv. à 14 h 13
Rip

Edmonton and Toronto are not similar. Edmonton has McDavid, Draisaitl and a handful of other players. They have no defence, goaltending or any depth. TO does have decent depth and goaltending (when Woll is healthy) and at least a couple of decent defenceman.
3 janv. à 14 h 16
Rip

McDavid took Edmonton that far. McDavid is the reason the team finds success. Take him off that team and they are a lottery team.
3 janv. à 14 h 16
Rip

I don't know who I would hire but Keefe is a problem.
3 janv. à 15 h 24
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 janv. à 15 h 30

Wood's contract I believe was to expire in 2025 or something so EDM would still be paying him. Toronto could swoop in on short cheap deal as he would still be getting paid 2m by EDM till 2025.

Would he be my #1 choice no but at the same time EDM had success under him and heck he took them pretty far in the playoffs

And with the money savings MLSE may also be tempted as the Babcock situation may have made them go nope no more giant coaching deals
3 janv. à 15 h 27
Leafs going to Leafs
Mentions "j'aime": 3,063

Woodcroft sucks, he'd just be a way worse version and not as punishing version of Keefe... He was literally opening and closing the doors for 97 and 29... Keefe is so much better...

On Nylander….

5yrs is probably the ideal term, no?

If the goal is to keep the player throughout his most productive years, I don’t think we want to go to years 6,7 or 8 unless there’s cap savings involved

I don’t buy into Kyper saying 8x$11m, but for the sake of playing along:

5yrs $11.2
6yrs $11m
7yrs $10.5
8yrs $10

That’s the general direction I would go

Nylander over 10.25 is still a mistake IMO...
3 janv. à 15 h 38
Wood's contract I believe was to expire in 2025 or something so EDM would still be paying him. Toronto could swoop in on short cheap deal as he would still be getting paid 2m by EDM till 2025.

Would he be my #1 choice no but at the same time EDM had success under him and heck he took them pretty far in the playoffs

And with the money savings MLSE may also be tempted as the Babcock situation may have made them go nope no more giant coaching deals

Not exactly the way coaching contracts work.

Also...not really my point, either. I wasn't looking at the commitment from a financial point of view...but if Woodcroft failed with the Edmonton roster...has he shown you enough to suggest he would succeed with Toronto's roster enough that you'd commit to him for 5yrs during everyone's prime when a different option might be available either now or in the near future?\

Either way...I wouldn't fire Keefe unless you already have his replacement lined up....and you have to be pretty damn sure the new guy is actually an upgrade. Rebuilding teams can f* up a coaching hire or two. Toronto can not.
3 janv. à 15 h 40
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Woodcroft sucks, he'd just be a way worse version and not as punishing version of Keefe... He was literally opening and closing the doors for 97 and 29... Keefe is so much better...

Woodcraft (3 years HC)

Regular season 133 games coached 79-41-13 .643 win %

Playoffs 14-14 .500win% (Lost to Avs in R3 Year 1 and Lost to VGK R2 year 2)

Sheldon Keefe (5 years HC)

Regular season 301games coached 184-81-37 .671 win %

Playoffs 13-17 .433 (Lost to CBJ Qualifying round (technically miss playoffs), Lost R1 to MTL blowing a 3-1 lead to Ducharme, Lost R1 to Cooper and the TBL, Beat Cooper the following year in a lady luck battle but lost to Maurice and the panthers R2)

So yea would rather have Wood as at least the playoff results are better. As if we have learned anything Keefe gets outcoached in playoffs, for Woodcraft first two years pretty good playoff results for a new HC. If only Holland constructed a better team lul
3 janv. à 15 h 40
Hakuna Matata
Not exactly the way coaching contracts work.

Also...not really my point, either. I wasn't looking at the commitment from a financial point of view...but if Woodcroft failed with the Edmonton roster...has he shown you enough to suggest he would succeed with Toronto's roster enough that you'd commit to him for 5yrs during everyone's prime when a different option might be available either now or in the near future?\

Either way...I wouldn't fire Keefe unless you already have his replacement lined up....and you have to be pretty damn sure the new guy is actually an upgrade. Rebuilding teams can f* up a coaching hire or two. Toronto can not.

I mean lets be real the replacement may already be here and is sitting next to him lul.

But yea would not surprise me if at some point like VGK even with a winning record Keefe may be out the door

Cause yea at this point the big concern is playoffs. Regular season we know Keefe can coach there but playoffs. Yea that man just gets railed

I think MLSE if they were looking would explore all options and if they felt Wood was the best they would probs give him a shot. And if it was 5 years probs would be first a 2 year deal then 3 year).

Either way I wouldnt mind it. As we have seen change can be good for teams sometimes just look at the wild. Cant find the tweet but so far everyone but OTT has been showing significant improvement. But this would be if Berube was snatched elsewhere
3 janv. à 15 h 42
Leafs going to Leafs
Woodcraft (3 years HC)

Regular season 133 games coached 79-41-13 .643 win %

Playoffs 14-14 .500win% (Lost to Avs in R3 Year 1 and Lost to VGK R2 year 2)

Sheldon Keefe (5 years HC)

Regular season 301games coached 184-81-37 .671 win %

Playoffs 13-17 .433 (Lost to CBJ Qualifying round (technically miss playoffs), Lost to MTL blowing a 3-1 lead to Ducharme, Lost to Cooper and the TBL, Beat Cooper the following year but lost to Maurice)

So yea would rather have Wood. As if we have learned anything Keefe gets outcoached in playoffs, for Woodcraft first two years pretty good playoff results for a new HC. If only Holland constructed a better team lul

You just provided stats on why Keefe was better LMAO...

And that's adding in WTF the Oilers had to face in the playoffs...

Swept by the Jets, beat a Doughty-less, not as good Kings team and Calgary, who missed the playoffs the following year... Only to get swept by and actual team...

And this year, squeak by LA, again, only to lose to VGK by being dominated...
3 janv. à 15 h 44

I'm just frustrated that nobody learns their lesson. At least they kind of got it right with Matthews. He he was still unsigned and he puts up another 60+ goal campaign, we don't get him at the number we did. Off their entry level deals, they could have had Matthew, Marner and Nylander all on much cheaper (and longer) deals if they had extended them early (I know with a high degree of certainty that Marner asked for $8m per for 8yrs in the summer before his final year). They wait, the players perform...and we end up losing a few extra million on the cap every time.

On a separate note....does anyone know what rules are in place as far as endorsements? I'm thinking of Willy doing the Rogers commercial on the subway. As part owner...could they not offer him something stupid like a $20m endorsement for the one commercial as a "handshake" agreement for negotiating a lower contract renewal?

Hypothetically...if RBC was a key sponsor....could the Leafs grant them prime advertising spots for $1 and they in turn give Matthews a huge sponsorship pkg to do those commercials?
3 janv. à 15 h 47
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 janv. à 15 h 54
You just provided stats on why Keefe was better LMAO...

And that's adding in WTF the Oilers had to face in the playoffs...

Swept by the Jets, beat a Doughty-less, not as good Kings team and Calgary, who missed the playoffs the following year... Only to get swept by and actual team...

And this year, squeak by LA, again, only to lose to VGK by being dominated...

I mean thats not really better.

Look at the game differential

If Woodcraft continued at the pace he was on he would be above Keefe Year 3

The fact Wood's got a better playoff record in less time highlights it

In general Keefe's a good regular season coach but a **** playoff coach

Wood's just been good at both. Not overly amazing but both. Cause yea those series vs. VGK and Avs could have went either way

And you do know Wood wasnt HC of the Oilers when they faced WPG to right? That was Tippett

In general EDM has had strong competition

CGY won the division the year they faced EDM and got dismantled, AVS had to score there way out of trouble, and Hill had to go god mode to get VGK the win. Heck that first year Wood outcoaching two old time NHL vets pretty impressive.

Heck even LA was not a bad team back then as they had playoff experience. Sure no doughty but if we go to our logic we lost to TBL in game 7 without Point.

Cause if we go by that logic we lost to CBJ and MTL. Two teams we should have beaten easily

Either way wouldnt mind him in Toronto
3 janv. à 15 h 56
Leafs going to Leafs
I'm just frustrated that nobody learns their lesson. At least they kind of got it right with Matthews. He he was still unsigned and he puts up another 60+ goal campaign, we don't get him at the number we did. Off their entry level deals, they could have had Matthew, Marner and Nylander all on much cheaper (and longer) deals if they had extended them early (I know with a high degree of certainty that Marner asked for $8m per for 8yrs in the summer before his final year). They wait, the players perform...and we end up losing a few extra million on the cap every time.

On a separate note....does anyone know what rules are in place as far as endorsements? I'm thinking of Willy doing the Rogers commercial on the subway. As part owner...could they not offer him something stupid like a $20m endorsement for the one commercial as a "handshake" agreement for negotiating a lower contract renewal?

Hypothetically...if RBC was a key sponsor....could the Leafs grant them prime advertising spots for $1 and they in turn give Matthews a huge sponsorship pkg to do those commercials?

And have 50+ mill tied up in 5 players?

Not a big fan
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage