SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Carolina Hurricanes signed Anthony Deangelo (1 Year / $1,675,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

25 juill. 2023 à 13 h 20
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 24
Quoting: vmark
The way he was portrayed in the media, as racist and whatnot, was a witch hunt scenario due to his political beliefs. I didn't say the Rangers bought him out because of his political views, but they were also under pressure from the media after it came out that he made fun of Georgiev, or whatever.

The Rangers suck though. Let's not forget Trouba is their captain and both Kakko and Lafreniere are busts.

Plenty of his teammates have gone on record saying he is a good teammate. Carolina just signed him again... not at 5M a year though.

I see nothing wrong here and I think he gets too much hate from people on the internet who have no idea what they're talking about.

So, were his two suspensions while with Sarnia for using slurs also a "witch hunt" due to his political views?
BCAPP, CSStrowbridge, M_Swann and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
25 juill. 2023 à 13 h 23
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
Quoting: aadoyle
Pittsburgh doesnt have the cap space nor anything Carolina would want plus divisional rivalry

Meanwhile Toronto has something Carolina wants WN, SEA has cap space and some nice forwards (Bjorkstrand, Burakovsky, Eberle, etc), and NSH seems to be in no mans land where they are adding and subtracting

A trade involving Pesce and Nylander seems to make sense. Both teams are in win-now mode, so trading for a player who can become a UFA shouldn’t bother them as long as it makes the team better now. However, making it work could be complicated, for a couple of reasons:

1) Toronto would want more than just Pesce for Nylander, but they can’t afford to take on more cap hit. Carolina doesn’t have a lot of cap flexibility either, so the cap hit would have to come out even or slightly in favor of Toronto.

2) Nylander supposedly wants $10M/yr on an extension, which I don’t think Carolina will pay, so they’d be looking at him strictly as a 1-year rental. That means they’re not going to want to give up a pending RFA like Jarvis. They could give up a draft pick or prospect, but that isn’t going to help Toronto now. I think it has to be strictly rentals for rentals.

3) Toronto is top-heavy on forward, but not deep, so they probably would like to get back a forward who could fill a roster spot, but Carolina would likely have no interest in taking back a defenseman unless it’s a 7th or 8th guy just to make the cap hit work.

The only deal I can think of that addresses all these would be Nylander and Timmins for Pesce and Teravainen with Carolina retaining somewhere between $1.5M and $2M salary on one of the players. I feel like Toronto should be throwing in some draft capital too, like their 2024 1st-round pick (protected if Toronto misses the playoffs) for Philadelphia’s 2nd, but it might still work for Carolina if they don't, just because they have so much depth on defense and it's probably the only way they could turn that depth into a guy who could have as much impact as Nylander without giving up future assets.
25 juill. 2023 à 13 h 39
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,957
Quoting: jr400
A trade involving Pesce and Nylander seems to make sense. Both teams are in win-now mode, so trading for a player who can become a UFA shouldn’t bother them as long as it makes the team better now. However, making it work could be complicated, for a couple of reasons:

1) Toronto would want more than just Pesce for Nylander, but they can’t afford to take on more cap hit. Carolina doesn’t have a lot of cap flexibility either, so the cap hit would have to come out even or slightly in favor of Toronto.

2) Nylander supposedly wants $10M/yr on an extension, which I don’t think Carolina will pay, so they’d be looking at him strictly as a 1-year rental. That means they’re not going to want to give up a pending RFA like Jarvis. They could give up a draft pick or prospect, but that isn’t going to help Toronto now. I think it has to be strictly rentals for rentals.

3) Toronto is top-heavy on forward, but not deep, so they probably would like to get back a forward who could fill a roster spot, but Carolina would likely have no interest in taking back a defenseman unless it’s a 7th or 8th guy just to make the cap hit work.

The only deal I can think of that addresses all these would be Nylander and Timmins for Pesce and Teravainen with Carolina retaining somewhere between $1.5M and $2M salary on one of the players. I feel like Toronto should be throwing in some draft capital too, like their 2024 1st-round pick (protected if Toronto misses the playoffs) for Philadelphia’s 2nd, but it might still work for Carolina if they don't, just because they have so much depth on defense and it's probably the only way they could turn that depth into a guy who could have as much impact as Nylander without giving up future assets.

You can do Pesce and picks if u want more. And if Willy goes to the USA he will make less due to lower taxes.

So if in Toronto hes asking for 10m in the USA he will ask for 9m as he gets more of the money.

In the end its not really overly complicated to get a deal to work

And no we dont need Tevo. As if u move Willy and factoring other moves u can get up to 4mill in cap. So Tatar on a 1 year deal is possible
25 juill. 2023 à 14 h 12
This is about double what I thought he’d sign for, but the number is slightly higher than what he lost by being bought out by Philadelphia, so I suspect that although Carolina was probably his preferred destination, it was important to him for the buyout not to have cost him anything.

So what does Carolina do with him? Does he come back in a reduced role, and could he be effective in such a role, or do they give him his old job back? The latter doesn’t seem to make sense, because that job now belongs to Brent Burns, who has been better so far in Carolina than DeAngelo was, and despite his age, he’s showing no signs of slowing down. However, I think there is room for both of them to have a prominent role.

I’d line up the 5-on-5 defense pairs like this:

Orlov – Burns
Slavin – DeAngelo
Skjei – Pesce

I think for DeAngelo to be effective 5-on-5, he needs Slavin, but Burns is less reliant on his partner and should be a good fit for Orlov. This means last season’s 2nd pair is now the 3rd pair, and the 2021-22 1st pair is now the 2nd pair, but because all three pairs should be strong, I’d be inclined to balance out the ice time between them more evenly than you would normally see when you have a clear 1-2-3 hierarchy. Burns and DeAngelo would be the power play quarterbacks. It probably doesn’t matter which one of them is on the 1st unit, but they can try both and see what works best. I might put Orlov and Skjei on the power play with them too, rather than going with four forwards. Slavin and Pesce will kill penalties if they don’t trade Pesce, which they could do because they still have Chatfield, who deserves a full-time role after the way he played last season.
25 juill. 2023 à 14 h 30
Rejoint: déc. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 3,523
Quoting: IconicHawk
1. In Philly the source of the drama should be obvious

2. How long have you been watching hockey? His off ice issue were well documented

You're contradicting yourself: What does watching hockey have to do with off-ice issues? What off-ice issues are you referring to in Philly? If those "issues" were a problem before, then why did he keep getting signed? You can't say his issues were the reason he was let go when he keeps getting signed again and again. Particularly when he's signed by a former team. Forgive me for not just taking your word for it that he's a problem.
25 juill. 2023 à 14 h 36
The way he was portrayed in the media, as racist and whatnot, was a witch hunt scenario due to his political beliefs. I didn't say the Rangers bought him out because of his political views, but they were also under pressure from the media after it came out that he made fun of Georgiev, or whatever.

The Rangers suck though. Let's not forget Trouba is their captain and both Kakko and Lafreniere are busts.

Plenty of his teammates have gone on record saying he is a good teammate. Carolina just signed him again... not at 5M a year though.

I see nothing wrong here and I think he gets too much hate from people on the internet who have no idea what they're talking about.

I vividly remember that phony outrage when the K'Andre Miller hoax was perpetrated. But I don't think he was targeted for being conservative, per se. I'm sure the great majority of hockey players lean conservative, if they have any political ideology at all. I think he was targeted here and elsewhere for spending a little too much time on social media looking for trouble. But that's not what got him waived.
vmark a aimé ceci.
25 juill. 2023 à 14 h 38
Quoting: harry_wagstaff
So, were his two suspensions while with Sarnia for using slurs also a "witch hunt" due to his political views?

To answer that question: No, of course not. But those suspensions had nothing to do with him getting bought out. And that's my point. If the mistakes he made as a junior player weren't enough of a reason to keep him from getting signed, they certainly weren't the reasons he was waived.
vmark a aimé ceci.
25 juill. 2023 à 14 h 39
Bedard23
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 4,476
Quoting: Brian2016
You're contradicting yourself: What does watching hockey have to do with off-ice issues? What off-ice issues are you referring to in Philly? If those "issues" were a problem before, then why did he keep getting signed? You can't say his issues were the reason he was let go when he keeps getting signed again and again. Particularly when he's signed by a former team. Forgive me for not just taking your word for it that he's a problem.

So you don’t think any **** happened between him and Torts?
25 juill. 2023 à 14 h 47
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,695

He was suspended twice in junior for making racist or otherwise discriminatory comments against both opposition and teammates. Here is a link from his own team suspending him for it (https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/deangelo-on-scouts-radar-for-wrong-reasons/)

The rangers decided they couldn't put up with him anymore. Here is there gm:

"You know what, Tony wasn't able to move on from that; it was something that he was trying to get through," Gorton said. "I had spoken to him at that time and said, 'Listen, if there are any more issues here, the time is going to come where we're going to put you on waivers and move on. No more issues. If your name is in anything at all that we have to hear, we're going to move on. We're going to make that move.'

https://www.nhl.com/news/tony-deangelo-of-new-york-rangers-clears-waivers/c-320927558

He was also scratched 8 times in the ahl in his rookie season despite being quite productive and then traded for pennies on the dollar to Arizona. It was rumoured to be for behavior but of course it is just rumours this time

I don't know if people tried to make him into a political scapegoat or something, but this isn't about him being conservative or who he votes for. It's about a repeated pattern of being a bad egg.
CSStrowbridge, M_Swann, harry_wagstaff and 2 others a aimé ceci.
25 juill. 2023 à 14 h 55
Mentions "j'aime": 855
Quoting: Boltsradynasty
That makes less than zero sense. Seriously, why should a team get bonus cap space for signing a bought out player?

The team that bought them out gets the relief. Maybe you would have understood that if you tried reading what I wrote before going on a rant.
25 juill. 2023 à 15 h 0
Quoting: INeverPlayedHockey
In what world this is a no?

In any world where character matters. This includes the hockey world.
M_Swann a aimé ceci.
25 juill. 2023 à 15 h 0
The way he was portrayed in the media, as racist and whatnot, was a witch hunt scenario due to his political beliefs.

This only makes sense if you consider "being racist" a political belief.
25 juill. 2023 à 15 h 11
Miss YA Killer
Rejoint: juin 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,430
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
The team that bought them out gets the relief. Maybe you would have understood that if you tried reading what I wrote before going on a rant.

That still makes no sense why? They handled their contracts stupidly why should they?
25 juill. 2023 à 15 h 16
Quoting: Brian2016
To answer that question: No, of course not. But those suspensions had nothing to do with him getting bought out. And that's my point. If the mistakes he made as a junior player weren't enough of a reason to keep him from getting signed, they certainly weren't the reasons he was waived.

You're the one that said he was labelled a racist because of his political views and called it a witch hunt. I brought up that he has been suspended TWICE for using slurs towards opponents and teammates. He was waived/bought out by NY for being a piece of **** and had disciplinary issues when on other teams as well.
25 juill. 2023 à 16 h 23
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
This only makes sense if you consider "being racist" a political belief.

Witch hunt = consequences for documented actions.
CSStrowbridge a aimé ceci.
25 juill. 2023 à 19 h 53
Rejoint: avr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,232
You can do Pesce and picks if u want more. And if Willy goes to the USA he will make less due to lower taxes.

So if in Toronto hes asking for 10m in the USA he will ask for 9m as he gets more of the money.

In the end its not really overly complicated to get a deal to work

And no we dont need Tevo. As if u move Willy and factoring other moves u can get up to 4mill in cap. So Tatar on a 1 year deal is possible

You will need a replacement in that top six and Tuevo can work there as a stop-gap measure so that Knies can get more acclimated to the NHL before you throw him in a top-six role
We can afford a $9m contract in the future
25 juill. 2023 à 19 h 53
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2
Quoting: seanrushton
It mean that the Hurricanes will probably not pivot to improving their forward corps

I smell a Pesce for Nylander trade incoming
25 juill. 2023 à 19 h 54
Rejoint: avr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,232
Quoting: windrunner
I smell a Pesce for Nylander trade incoming

I can live with that... he's a very good piece... he's not the piece I want but he'd work
25 juill. 2023 à 19 h 57
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,957
Modifié 25 juill. 2023 à 20 h 8
Quoting: seanrushton
You will need a replacement in that top six and Tuevo can work there as a stop-gap measure so that Knies can get more acclimated to the NHL before you throw him in a top-six role
We can afford a $9m contract in the future

U dont need a replacement top 6

If they move Nylander

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Tatar or Tarasenko
Jarnkrok-JT-Marner

No need for Tevo. As in general adding Domi and Bertuzzi will make up for moving Willy as both those guys have potential to be 20+ goal guys each. And this on top of Matthews coming back to his 60 goal self, and JT/Marner doing their thing
25 juill. 2023 à 21 h 43
U dont need a replacement top 6

If they move Nylander

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Tatar or Tarasenko
Jarnkrok-JT-Marner

No need for Tevo. As in general adding Domi and Bertuzzi will make up for moving Willy as both those guys have potential to be 20+ goal guys each. And this on top of Matthews coming back to his 60 goal self, and JT/Marner doing their thing

You actually are saying that Toronto would need to replace Nylander in the top 6, but they wouldn’t need to get that guy in the trade with Carolina, because they’d use the $3M cap hit they’d save by trading Nylander for Pesce to sign a UFA winger. I think I’d rather have Teravainen with $2M retained than Tatar, and Tarasenko probably wants significantly more than $3M, but your idea could work, and it should make the deal more attractive for Carolina if they can keep Teravainen. It would leave both teams about $2M over the cap (assuming Murray goes on LTIR or Toronto’s full share of his cap hit is moved in a dump trade), but that seems like a manageable number.

So are you suggesting Pesce for Nylander straight up, or would Carolina have to throw in some draft capital? How much draft capital do you think it would take to make it work for Toronto? Philadelphia’s 2nd? (I mention that because this discussion is supposed to be about DeAngelo, and that’s one of the picks Carolina got for him. The gift that keeps on giving!)
25 juill. 2023 à 22 h 44
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 272
just think how much money hes lost because he cant help but be a piece of ****.

and he still makes way more than i ever will lol.

not a good signing- they should know better.
25 juill. 2023 à 23 h 3
Quoting: BCAPP
He was suspended twice in junior for making racist or otherwise discriminatory comments against both opposition and teammates. Here is a link from his own team suspending him for it (https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/deangelo-on-scouts-radar-for-wrong-reasons/)

The rangers decided they couldn't put up with him anymore. Here is there gm:

"You know what, Tony wasn't able to move on from that; it was something that he was trying to get through," Gorton said. "I had spoken to him at that time and said, 'Listen, if there are any more issues here, the time is going to come where we're going to put you on waivers and move on. No more issues. If your name is in anything at all that we have to hear, we're going to move on. We're going to make that move.'

https://www.nhl.com/news/tony-deangelo-of-new-york-rangers-clears-waivers/c-320927558

He was also scratched 8 times in the ahl in his rookie season despite being quite productive and then traded for pennies on the dollar to Arizona. It was rumoured to be for behavior but of course it is just rumours this time

I don't know if people tried to make him into a political scapegoat or something, but this isn't about him being conservative or who he votes for. It's about a repeated pattern of being a bad egg.

I believe that quote you're citing is in reference to his poor performance on opening night, 2020 - specifically, a bad penalty. This was technically an on-ice issue. That quote is not in reference to the junior league incident(s).
25 juill. 2023 à 23 h 25
Quoting: IconicHawk
So you don’t think any **** happened between him and Torts?

No. I don't think it's personal at all. This was a hockey decision. Torts prepares his teams to play a certain style and at a certain pace. Where's Kevin Hayes? Gone. Torts just wants a particular style of play? Neither player fits his game plan, obviously.
26 juill. 2023 à 0 h 4
You're the one that said he was labelled a racist because of his political views and called it a witch hunt. I brought up that he has been suspended TWICE for using slurs towards opponents and teammates. He was waived/bought out by NY for being a piece of **** and had disciplinary issues when on other teams as well.

Yeah. I never said that. Check your quotes. That wasn't me. I don't speculate and draw conclusions w/o evidence. And like I've said 1,000 times, if the incident from junior wasn't enough to keep teams from signing him, then it certainly wasn't the reason he was let go. BTW, when someone resorts to name calling and profanity, they've failed to make their point.
26 juill. 2023 à 1 h 8
IG vincemark78
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 86

I don't know anything about that. I will say when you're a teenager you say dumber things than when you're an adult. If that's the main mark against his character you're trying to use, I can give him a pass for that. Unless, you know, we see what it was and the context.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage