SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Ryan Reaves (3 Years / $1,350,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 11
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 765
Quoting: drewjenkins
You can bury $1,200,000 of a contract in the minors.

So when he gets sent down (and I'm sure he will at some point).

He'll cost $150,000 against the cap (but ya'll will still freak out over 150k).

It’s still not a good contract? Ineffective player does nothing for you aside the occasional fight/hit. leafs had that with Simmonds , and look how that ended up. There is better options out there that would provide more value for the same deal is why it’s bad.
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 27
McMann Season
Rejoint: mars 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 940
Quoting: Brian_O_Blivion
Acquiring an enforcer is fine, I guess but giving him 3 years term over 1 mil is quite another.

MIN gave him an extension offer, leafs had to compete
gopherit et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 28
McMann Season
Quoting: Mike7856
It’s still not a good contract? Ineffective player does nothing for you aside the occasional fight/hit. leafs had that with Simmonds , and look how that ended up. There is better options out there that would provide more value for the same deal is why it’s bad.

As much as I love simmonds , he isn’t nearly as all around physical as Reaves
Mike7856 a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 32
Quoting: CameronSquires
As much as I love simmonds , he isn’t nearly as all around physical as Reaves

Maybe not, but slightly more physical player who still can’t keep up? In my opinion, leafs should have went elsewhere but I guess we’ll see! Leafs vs Boston will be fun with Reaves vs Lucic!
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 33
McMann Season
Maybe not, but slightly more physical player who still can’t keep up? In my opinion, leafs should have went elsewhere but I guess we’ll see! Leafs vs Boston will be fun with Reaves vs Lucic!

If he turns out badly, you can put him in the minors for a 150k cap hit. I think he’ll be fine
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 41
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431
Quoting: jpsnow13
HAHAHAHA!

Reaves has ZERO hockey value. 3 years for more than the league's minimum?

This tells you everthing you need to know about TML's new administration business model.

It fills in the arena during the regular season to sell overpriced tickets and shows they have no playoffs ambition at all.

This isn't a hockey team, It's a circus.

Almost the entire cap can be buried if he cannot play.

Enforcers are extremely important for certain types of games. The only reason we don't see more of them in the NHL is because the average NHL skater is much better than 20-30 years ago, so it's more difficult to strap a pair of skates to an ex-boxer and tell them to go wreck people. It is the entire reason why a player like Reaves has had such a long and successful career. While his play is declining, he has been good enough to hide on a fourth line for most of his career, while being an enforcer.

The Leafs were manhandled by Florida. While Reaves isn't going to change that on his own because he can only play a few minutes a game, he serves as a deterrent and a useful tool to set the tone for highly emotionally charged games. He doesn't need to play every night, because Toronto against a random team on a Wednesday probably doesn't require them dressing an enforcer.

The downside to this contract is 200k in dead cap. The real money doesn't matter for Toronto.
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 43
couldnt afford 2nd t
Rejoint: sept. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 431

As a Senators fan, you're going to quickly realize just what a player like Reaves does....

Sens likely signed Boko Imama in response to this.

If the Leafs were built bigger and stronger up and down their lineup, they might not need an enforcer to help set the tone and act as a deterrent in the right games.
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 47
If he turns out badly, you can put him in the minors for a 150k cap hit. I think he’ll be fine

Exactly why it would be a bad contract, signing a guy to a multi year deal to play in the minors isn’t a good deal even if the cap hit isn’t problematic.
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 48
McMann Season
Exactly why it would be a bad contract, signing a guy to a multi year deal to play in the minors isn’t a good deal even if the cap hit isn’t problematic.

Im not saying they will, I’m just saying worst case scenario.
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 50
Quoting: budgeteam
As a Senators fan, you're going to quickly realize just what a player like Reaves does....

Sens likely signed Boko Imama in response to this.

If the Leafs were built bigger and stronger up and down their lineup, they might not need an enforcer to help set the tone and act as a deterrent in the right games.

Boko is likely playing in the AHL so not really? Might play handful of games here and there. Having Reaves isn’t going to stop teams from hitting/pestering your stars. If anything, they won’t engage him and sucker him into taking bad penalties. Plus when he’s on the ice, there’s no threat of him scoring anyway.
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 50
Im not saying they will, I’m just saying worst case scenario.

Fair enough
1 juill. 2023 à 14 h 55
McMann Season
Fair enough

I’m not like ecstatic about the deal, but I don’t think it’s as bad as people make it out to be either
Mike7856 et V123 a aimé ceci.
1 juill. 2023 à 15 h 15
leafs fan (sorry)
Rejoint: juill. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 7
this has only gotten worse while watching better players like JVR get signed for 1m. sad use of money for Toronto, who is in desperate need of a few extra bucks. hard to dump going forward too. sad leafs sounds.
1 juill. 2023 à 15 h 28
McMann Season
Quoting: NeutralNylander
this has only gotten worse while watching better players like JVR get signed for 1m. sad use of money for Toronto, who is in desperate need of a few extra bucks. hard to dump going forward too. sad leafs sounds.

I agree
1 juill. 2023 à 15 h 55
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: Orr28
It's the first damn half hour of free agency.

Leafs nation, always melting.

It's been 4 and the Leafs have done nothing since
1 juill. 2023 à 15 h 56
Orr28
Rejoint: juill. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 244
Quoting: Leafsfan98
It's been 4 and the Leafs have done nothing since

So you're still melting?
1 juill. 2023 à 15 h 57
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,948
Quoting: Orr28
So you're still melting?

Until the Leafs do something today; yes.

It's like Treliving's alarm clock has not gone off yet
1 juill. 2023 à 18 h 8
Rejoint: nov. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,223
This is a move for a better PR team.

Reeves will be better used off the season than on the ice.
1 juill. 2023 à 19 h 20
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,192
really glad i was distracted for most of today because this is just.......incredible.
1 juill. 2023 à 19 h 30
A WILD Golden Gopher
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 140
Love the guy but yikes.
1 juill. 2023 à 20 h 2
Huskies
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 76
Quoting: CapFriendly
[url=/players/ryan-reaves]Ryan Reaves[/url] has signed a new contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

April Fools?
2 juill. 2023 à 0 h 8
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,340
Just here for the comments lol
2 juill. 2023 à 2 h 11
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 148
This contract is three years too long.
2 juill. 2023 à 8 h 45
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 548
I think this signing is ok, but I do have a few random thoughts:

1) I understand that the third year is the whole reason he signed with Toronto – I heard Minnesota would only give him 2. 3 years is a lot of term for a 36-year-old, but I don’t have a problem with it because nearly all of it can be buried in the minors, and I don’t think it’ll come to that anyway. Somebody always wants this guy, so if Toronto waives him, somebody will claim him.

2) You can’t compare this with the Huderdeau and Kadri signings, but one thing that worried me about Treliving becoming GM of Toronto was his tendency to sign guys to contracts that run well into their late 30s. It’s too soon to say if he’ll make the same mistakes in Toronto, but Reaves is 36. I wonder if Treliving doesn’t consider aging enough in his decisions.

3) Every time Toronto signs a tough guy, it seems that he almost never makes it into the lineup. The best way to get toughness into the lineup is to get tough players who can also produce, so they’re playing a regular shift and contributing in other ways. I know those guys are more difficult to get though.

4) I know you can only get what’s available, and there’s still a couple of months before the season starts, but I’m not sure Toronto is prioritizing what they need most.
Rolfadinho a aimé ceci.
2 juill. 2023 à 18 h 26
feelsbadman
Rejoint: oct. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 88
LMAO

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage