SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Why exactly would Murray cost a 1st to dump

Équipe: 2023-24 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 1 juin 2023
Publié: 1 juin 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
It only cost Ottawa a 3rd to dump Murray last year as well as other awful deals like Zaitsev and Marc Staal didn’t cost 1sts to dump, so why Murray exactly? Steve Mason in 2018 only cost Armia and a 4th as well
Transactions
TOR
    Price Murray was traded for last offseason
    ANA
    1. Murray, Matt
    2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2024 (NYI)
    3. Choix de 7e ronde en 2025 (TOR)
    Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
    Logo de BOS
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de CHI
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de OTT
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de TOR
    Logo de CHI
    Logo de TOR
    TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
    1483 500 000 $64 043 950 $0 $0 $19 456 050 $
    Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
    Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
    2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
    AD, C, AG
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
    AD
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    925 000 $925 000 $
    AG, AD
    RFA - 2
    11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
    C, AG
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
    AD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    1 150 000 $1 150 000 $
    AD, C, AG
    UFA - 1
    Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
    7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
    DG
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
    DG/DD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
    DG/DD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
    DD
    RFA - 1
    766 667 $766 667 $
    G
    RFA - 2
    800 000 $800 000 $
    DG
    UFA - 1
    1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
    DD
    RFA - 2
    Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
    796 667 $796 667 $
    AG, AD
    RFA - 1
    5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
    DG
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
    • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 3
    Amirov Forever
    Rejoint: mars 2022
    Mentions "j'aime": 6,083
    Because it's the Leafs and anytime we need to dump someone the automatic cost is 3 first round picks supposedly
    GMBL, Ryminister_92, TheresAlwaysNextYear and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 6
    Rejoint: mai 2022
    Mentions "j'aime": 3,319
    Quoting: Nathaniel
    Because it's the Leafs

This is exactly how I was going to start my response.

"...we won't believe otherwise until we see it!!!"

It's also because fans of rebuilding teams expect too much when "weaponizing" cap space, they see some crazy deals happening and take that as the standard and often ignore the intrinsic details of each case.
    NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 6
    Hakuna Matata
    Rejoint: févr. 2020
    Mentions "j'aime": 21,034
    Because it's the Leafs and anytime we need to dump someone the automatic cost is 3 first round picks supposedly

In general I could see one of 3 scenarios

1. Leafs convince Murray to go to Robidas Island (LTIR retire)

2. Perform a similar trade to Mrazek

3. Trade Murray for another bad deal like Bailey or Lebanc in a 1 for 1

Now there may be a way to package him off like what LA did with Quick where they paid a 1st for Gav and a 3rd for Korp and somehow got rid of 5.8mill Quick for nothing
    GMBL a aimé ceci.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 9
    Impatient
    Rejoint: juill. 2019
    Mentions "j'aime": 48
    Seems simple, do it.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 10
    Birddog
    Rejoint: mai 2023
    Mentions "j'aime": 241
    Because Dumbas did it regularly. It’s a thing now.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 12
    Kyle from Chicago
    Rejoint: févr. 2018
    Mentions "j'aime": 5,857
    If you consider the best comparable deal (Mrazek) that included a first going to Chicago, the actual contract is owed like 7 million in cash, which is more than the cash value Carolina spent to get the Jarvis pick, and in general when the only attractive asset that you have (in terms of futures) is a first round pick that’s what people are going to go for.

There’s a difference between moving out a first round pick outright to dump Murray and falling back 10-20 spots in the draft order to dump him.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 13
    Quoting: aadoyle

Now there may be a way to package him off like what LA did with Quick where they paid a 1st for Gav and a 3rd for Korp and somehow got rid of 5.8mill Quick for nothing

Quick was playing bad and was moved at the deadline, Murray can't be relied on to even play and he hasn't been good either.

Now that the GM is Treliving, I would put buyout on the table as well, and if option 2 does turn out to be the option that is select a terrible trade like Murray+a 1st for nothing could be possible. I'm not saying that because I think he's a bad GM but his thinking is going to be different than Dubas', although I would be very surprised.

Based on his history, I think it would be 3 or 4. a Buyout
    NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 13
    Amirov Forever
    Rejoint: mars 2022
    Mentions "j'aime": 6,083

Quick is a special scenario because he was a pending UFA traded to a seller at the TDL. Murray is a different case
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 14
    Modifié 1 juin 2023 à 23 h 22
    Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
    If you consider the best comparable deal (Mrazek) that included a first going to Chicago, the actual contract is owed like 7 million in cash, which is more than the cash value Carolina spent to get the Jarvis pick, and in general when the only attractive asset that you have (in terms of futures) is a first round pick that’s what people are going to go for.

There’s a difference between moving out a first round pick outright to dump Murray and falling back 10-20 spots in the draft order to dump him.

Carolina had all the intentions to buyout Marleau from the start, something that the Leafs couldn't afford to do, that's why it cost so much.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 15
    Hakuna Matata
    Quoting: GMBL
    Quick was playing bad and was moved at the deadline, Murray can't be relied on to even play and he hasn't been good either.

Now that the GM is Treliving, I would put buyout on the table as well, and if option 2 does turn out to be the option that is select a terrible trade like Murray+a 1st for nothing could be possible. I'm not saying that because I think he's a bad GM but his thinking is going to be different than Dubas', although I would be very surprised.

Based on his history, I think it would be 3 or 4. a Buyout

With the unpredicable cap and how close they are probs gonna be to it dont see a buyout as its 687k year 1, 2 mill year 2
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 16
    Rejoint: mai 2023
    Mentions "j'aime": 214
    1. Senators retained money.
    2. Murray had worse sv% this year than with Ottawa.
    3. Staal and Zaitsev cost a 2nd to move, not a 3rd.
    4. Leafs are Cap strapped with no leverage.
    5. Leafs have no 2nd round picks, 1st round pick is probably the only way.
    GiggywithGibby a aimé ceci.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 17
    Kyle from Chicago
    Carolina had all the intentions to buyout Marleau from the start, that's why it cost so much.

In any case the cash value does matter in this case as well which works against the leafs in a way the Zaitsev dump just didn’t for chicago.
    GiggywithGibby a aimé ceci.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 18
    Hakuna Matata
    Quick is a special scenario because he was a pending UFA traded to a seller at the TDL. Murray is a different case

I think if did something similar to what LA did with Quick but at the draft u can in a sense not pay to move Murray but give a team what they want for someone else. In a sense make the cap work.

Like lets pretend we didnt have Sammy and Gibson was okay coming to Toronto via trade. U package it in a way where u give ANA the assets for Gib but they take Murray to make the cap work. Cause in the end everyone gets what they want. Could do the same with Hellybuyck if WPG decides to blow it up
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 25
    Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
    In any case the cash value does matter in this case as well which works against the leafs in a way the Zaitsev dump just didn’t for chicago.

(Addition to my previous post in relation to the buyout: With Murray, the Leafs can buy him out and take the 2m hit, next year if they want. Considering that he's injury prone as well, they are probably better off letting him end up on LTIR.)

Cash is going to matter but Ottawa is paying 25% of his 8M salary, so would be 6m in cash. There might not be a fit with Chicago, but it's possible that there is another team. I do fully expect that we see something else in terms of how that contract is moved, whether it be to SJ for a forward on a similar deal/term.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 28
    Rejoint: nov. 2018
    Mentions "j'aime": 2,242
    Murray should be waived to play in the ECHL, Newfoundland Growlers.

Sure you still get stuck with dead cap space, but you get to keep your Draft picks and prospects, unless Treliving doesn't like what prospects Dubas left him and agrees to ship one off as the bribe, instead of Draft picks.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 29
    With the unpredicable cap and how close they are probs gonna be to it dont see a buyout as its 687k year 1, 2 mill year 2

Yeah, I see it that way as well. I do expect the cap to rise at least 2M next year, so even with Matthews and Nylander getting raises (unless Matthews wants 14m and Nylander 11M) they should be able to take on that hit. Of course, having more money is better. I could really see the Labanc example happening since SJ does need a goalie and who knows maybe Murray can stay healthy. Labanc also seems like a Treliving type player, of course it won't be a one for one, so that move could be worse than just giving up Murray+ a 1st for cap haha.
    1 juin 2023 à 23 h 29
    Kyle from Chicago
    (Addition to my previous post in relation to the buyout: With Murray, the Leafs can buy him out and take the 2m hit, next year if they want. Considering that he's injury prone as well, they are probably better off letting him end up on LTIR.)

Cash is going to matter but Ottawa is paying 25% of his 8M salary, so would be 6m in cash. There might not be a fit with Chicago, but it's possible that there is another team. I do fully expect that we see something else in terms of how that contract is moved, whether it be to SJ for a forward on a similar deal/term.

There’s definitely a fit with chicago as money is not an issue. I think it will take a 1st round 2nd round swap for it to happen, or at least I hope as a fan.
    2 juin 2023 à 2 h 42
    Future Ducks legend
    Rejoint: juin 2022
    Mentions "j'aime": 6,766
    Its not that its going to cost a 1st, its going to take a trade down from a late 1st to an early 2nd, but probably around 8-10 spots. Why is it going to cost that? His real salary sucks, he was a below average goalie despite playing behind a significantly upgraded defense, and despite costing 6 million in real salary and 4,6 against the cap, he's only good for about 20 games between IR stints, so he can't be relied upon.

Also, Toronto already set the precedent for the trade, last season. Its the most applicable comparable.
    2 juin 2023 à 4 h 6
    Rejoint: déc. 2021
    Mentions "j'aime": 13
    Just give us Marner to dump Murray, you guys seem so desperate to get rid! Then you can keep your picks grin Everyone wins
    2 juin 2023 à 8 h 51
    Rejoint: juin 2017
    Carolina had all the intentions to buyout Marleau from the start, something that the Leafs couldn't afford to do, that's why it cost so much.

What do you think most other teams would be aiming to do with him? Especially Anaheim, a common selection for a trade destination that doesn't need another goalie this year
    2 juin 2023 à 9 h 9
    Quoting: Jakam1138
    What do you think most other teams would be aiming to do with him? Especially Anaheim, a common selection for a trade destination that doesn't need another goalie this year

Maybe they buy him out or they simply wouldn't take him. The key difference is that none of these teams are playoff teams like Carolina. Getting help from the competition isn't the same like getting help from a Western team who isn't likely going to compete.
    2 juin 2023 à 9 h 26
    Rejoint: juin 2017
    Maybe they buy him out or they simply wouldn't take him. The key difference is that none of these teams are playoff teams like Carolina. Getting help from the competition isn't the same like getting help from a Western team who isn't likely going to compete.

True it isn't, but why would any team take a lesser deal given the crunch the leafs are in?
    2 juin 2023 à 9 h 42
    Rejoint: août 2022
    Mentions "j'aime": 84
    Trading Murray is going to cost a significant asset because you need to find a team that has cap space they're willing to burn that isn't on Murray's no-trade list.

That reduces the market to significantly fewer teams.
    2 juin 2023 à 10 h 1
    Quoting: Jakam1138
    True it isn't, but why would any team take a lesser deal given the crunch the leafs are in?

They aren't in a crunch though. They can retain him but that would waiste a roster spot or they can buy him out and still be fine for next year. In 2019, their cap situation was much worse.

Murray should cost something similar to Mrazek to dump, maybe a 2nd. Maybe Treliving gets a worse deal than Dubas though so we will have to see what happens.
    2 juin 2023 à 10 h 6
    Quoting: BeefBouillon
    Trading Murray is going to cost a significant asset because you need to find a team that has cap space they're willing to burn that isn't on Murray's no-trade list.

That reduces the market to significantly fewer teams.

Mrazek also had a 10-team list, so it's quite possible that they find someone willing to give a decent deal

Répondre
    To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
    Question:
    Options:
    Ajouter une option
    Soumettre le sondage