Forums/Armchair-GM

Using Cap Space and becoming a legit Contender

Créé par: homiedaclown
Équipe: 2023-24 Sabres de Buffalo
Date de création initiale: 9 févr. 2023
Publié: 13 févr. 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
I will admit there’s quite a few moves here, but spread them out between this trade deadline and the offseason.
I don’t think anything here is unreasonable, and could be adjusted within reason to make the deals work for both teams.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
LISTE DE RÉSERVEANSCAP HIT
2950 000 $
2950 000 $
2950 000 $
RFAANSCAP HIT
2950 000 $
2800 000 $
2800 000 $
2800 000 $
2800 000 $
21 500 000 $
78 500 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
44 000 000 $
44 000 000 $
Transactions
BUF
  1. Meier, Timo [Droits de RFA]
SJS
  1. Mittelstadt, Casey
  2. Portillo, Erik
  3. Rosén, Isak
  4. Choix de 1e ronde en 2024 (BUF)
CHI
  1. Bloom, Josh
  2. Choix de 2e ronde en 2023 (VGK)
MIN
  1. Biro, Brandon
  2. Weissbach, Linus
Détails additionnels:
I’d imagine that after quite a down season, Minny would consider moving Foligno to get some Cap relief
At least that’s my hope anyways, lol
Feel free to sub in whichever “b level prospects”
I chose these guys bc they’re close to being ready for a shot in the NHL, Rousek or Murray could also be of interest to Minny
BUF
  1. Dvorak, Christian (2 200 000 $ retained)
  2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2023 (MTL)
Rachats de contrats
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de BUF
Logo de PHI
Logo de BUF
Logo de MTL
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
Logo de BUF
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2383 500 000 $78 802 737 $0 $3 145 000 $4 697 263 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Sabres de Buffalo
9 000 000 $9 000 000 $
AG, AD
NMC
UFA - 4
7 142 857 $7 142 857 $
C
UFA - 7
4 750 000 $4 750 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
8 500 000 $8 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 8
7 100 000 $7 100 000 $
C, AG
UFA - 7
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AD, AG
RFA - 2
855 833 $855 833 $ (Bonis de performance32 500 $$32K)
AG, AD
RFA - 2
Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 5
Logo de Wild du Minnesota
3 100 000 $3 100 000 $
AD, AG
NMC
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance412 500 $$412K)
C, AG
RFA - 1
4 750 000 $4 750 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
950 000 $950 000 $
AG, C
RFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 285 714 $4 285 714 $
DG
UFA - 7
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
837 500 $837 500 $
G
RFA - 1
916 667 $916 667 $ (Bonis de performance1 850 000 $$2M)
DG/DD
UFA - 1
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
G
UFA - 1
Logo de Blackhawks de Chicago
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
950 000 $950 000 $
G
RFA - 2
687 500 $687 500 $
DD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
13 févr. 2023 à 12 h 22
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 14,573
Edit: nvm, too much here.
13 févr. 2023 à 12 h 27
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 986
Maybe SJS accepts but I think the other 3 teams would hold out for better deals
13 févr. 2023 à 12 h 31
Rejoint: janv. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1,009
Quoting: C21

I don't think it would just be looking for better deals, they'd probably just not entertain trades for those returns.
13 févr. 2023 à 12 h 39
rktkt66
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 601
There's no way I see Meier becoming a Sabre by the trade deadline; however, if the Sharks don't trade him by then and he's available at the draft, maybe Buffalo revisits it because they'd possibly be more willing to tinker with the forward group than they seem now. The trick is the timing - Meier would need to be qualified before July 1st in order for SJ to retain his rights, which means he'd get locked into the $10M QO that no one - including the Sabres - would want to take on. And the Sabres can't extend Dahlin or Power until July 1st, when their contracts enter the final year of each's term. I'd bet my house that Adams will want to have both of his core defensemen locked in and know what their cap hits are before he'd consider committing $9M+ to Meier for long-term.

As for the Chicago deal, it's pretty unlikely that McCabe or the Sabres would want a reunion: McCabe was loyal to Eichel and left the Sabres on his own choice and probably wouldn't accept a 3rd pairing role that the Sabres would be looking to upgrade.

The Dvorak trade is pointless - it blocks Krebs from elevating to the 3C spot next season; dumps Johnson right after he's signed (per your forecast) and also deals the highly-effective, younger and cheaper Jost in the process. Assuming you're a Sabres fan, that Montreal trade doesn't improve Buffalo IMO.
13 févr. 2023 à 12 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 3,156

Like i said….
As long as these trades are in the ballpark, we have plenty more assets to put the deal over the top
Hawksguy81 a aimé ceci.
13 févr. 2023 à 12 h 48
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 10,649
Quoting: rktkt66
As for the Chicago deal, it's pretty unlikely that McCabe or the Sabres would want a reunion: McCabe was loyal to Eichel and left the Sabres on his own choice and probably wouldn't accept a 3rd pairing role that the Sabres would be looking to upgrade.

I don't think McCabe cares if Eichel is there or not. McCabe wasn't resigned by BUF because of his injury, which I don't think is something he wanted. But, I also don't think he would be opposed to making a return to BUF now that they are ready to contend. I think his biggest gripe would be the fact that he lives in the Chicago area during the offseason. He is a Wisconsin boy and his wife is from CHI. Regardless, he only has a no trade list, whether BUF is on that list or not is TBD, but if they aren't, he has no choice in the matter.
Hawksguy81 a aimé ceci.
13 févr. 2023 à 12 h 49
If it's a 2nd round pick we get for him, it has to be that PHI 2nd. VGK is definitely a no go.
Hawksguy81 a aimé ceci.
13 févr. 2023 à 12 h 56
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,503
I gotta think MTL declines that.

On their side, the retention is long and significant. The pick is also unnecessary.

On Buffalo side, Johnson is a soon-to-be free agent and I don't remember any American college player going the FA route to sign in Canada so the odds aren't favorable. The Habs passed on Jost when he was waived earlier. Kisakov, while being a somewhat high draft pick, is having a pretty unimpressive season with Rochester.

Not that Dvorak is worth a ton, but they aren't gonna retain for 2 (or 2.5) seasons and not receive an enticing piece.
sabres89 a aimé ceci.
13 févr. 2023 à 13 h 6
Démarrer sujet
There's no way I see Meier becoming a Sabre by the trade deadline; however, if the Sharks don't trade him by then and he's available at the draft, maybe Buffalo revisits it because they'd possibly be more willing to tinker with the forward group than they seem now. The trick is the timing - Meier would need to be qualified before July 1st in order for SJ to retain his rights, which means he'd get locked into the $10M QO that no one - including the Sabres - would want to take on. And the Sabres can't extend Dahlin or Power until July 1st, when their contracts enter the final year of each's term. I'd bet my house that Adams will want to have both of his core defensemen locked in and know what their cap hits are before he'd consider committing $9M+ to Meier for long-term.

The Dvorak trade is pointless - it blocks Krebs from elevating to the 3C spot next season; dumps Johnson right after he's signed (per your forecast) and also deals the highly-effective, younger and cheaper Jost in the process. Assuming you're a Sabres fan, that Montreal trade doesn't improve Buffalo IMO.

1- Sabres have already called about Meier, proving Adams DOES (in fact) have interest NOW- so the rest of your point with him is thus rendered moot

2- it’s been years since Eichel was traded (& McCabe leaving).
And I’d argue that McCabe left to find a better situation (chance to win) and not some nonsense about being “loyal to Eichel”
Idk where u even got that from to begin with?
But regardless, Buffalo is a familiar spot where he now does have a chance to win. I see no reason he’d be opposed to a reunion. Even if he had some lingering issues with how things went down when he left, it’s completely different Management now- and until given a legit reason, I’m not gonna assume there’s still any ill will coming from McCabe- IF there ever was

3- that MTL trade is a great improvement
To out it simply, Dvorak > Jost, and not particularly close. Dvorak is a pretty good 2way Center- just stuck on a bad team.
And he wouldn’t block Krebs from anything. If you’re hung up on that, with this lineup setup I’d envision lines 3 & 4 getting roughly the same icetime, so swap lines 3 & 4 if that eases your mind.
Plus, look at Krebs linemates- MUCH better than Girgs & Okposo (at least offensively), and that will be a benefit to his development
Also, Dvorak isn’t signed long term, so he’s just here to make Krebs transition to 3C go smoothly & without throwing too much on his plate

All 3 of those moves are:
-reasonable to get done
-in the ballpark of being possible
-and a GREAT idea

If u think otherwise, that’s fine
We are allowed to disagree
13 févr. 2023 à 13 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: SevenLeg
I gotta think MTL declines that.

On their side, the retention is long and significant. The pick is also unnecessary.

On Buffalo side, Johnson is a soon-to-be free agent and I don't remember any American college player going the FA route to sign in Canada so the odds aren't favorable. The Habs passed on Jost when he was waived earlier. Kisakov, while being a somewhat high draft pick, is having a pretty unimpressive season with Rochester.

Not that Dvorak is worth a ton, but they aren't gonna retain for 2 (or 2.5) seasons and not receive an enticing piece.

Just did the retention to fudge the numbers & make him fit
I’m sure the Sabres could save $2mil elsewhere
13 févr. 2023 à 14 h 5
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,247
I don't mind these. I assume San Jose would push for a 23 first, unless savoie or kulich was the other main piece. Not sure about barbashev and dumba, what's your reasoning?
13 févr. 2023 à 14 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: sabres89
I don't mind these. I assume San Jose would push for a 23 first, unless savoie or kulich was the other main piece. Not sure about barbashev and dumba, what's your reasoning?

Yeah, with the SJ deal in particular, changes could be made
If it NEEDS to be the ‘23 1st, then fine i guess- just wouldn’t be my preference

With Dumba,
Minny fans keep saying he’s gotten much better defensively- to the point that’s he’s become known more for his defense than his offense
And also that they expect his next contract to be around $4mil per
That sounds to me like he could be Power’s “Samuelsson”
Also moves Jokiharju down to the 3rd pair, where i think he & McCabe could be very effective together

With Barbashev,
he’s a good (not great) 2way player who i think would be a good fit on the 3rd line
Bringing him in is a move for “now” that lets guys like Kulich, Savoie, etc continue their development & not be rushed into the lineup prematurely
And at some point, if one of the kids passes him, i think he can still be a good 4th liner
Guys like him (& Dvorak) can play a key role on a winning team imo
sabres89 a aimé ceci.
13 févr. 2023 à 15 h 48
Quoting: Burnout
I don't think it would just be looking for better deals, they'd probably just not entertain trades for those returns.

I don't think that deal interests Minnesota at all

That's probably fine value for Dvorak without the retention

And Chicago wants a first for McCabe
13 févr. 2023 à 16 h 31
Démarrer sujet
I don't think that deal interests Minnesota at all

That's probably fine value for Dvorak without the retention

And Chicago wants a first for McCabe

I get that you’re a Wild fan….
But what do u think you’d get in the summer for a declining Foligno coming off a down season?
Maybe I’m wrong here, but I’m assuming the biggest value to u guys in the deal would just be getting rid of his Cap

Yeah, like i said before, was just fudging the numbers to make Dvorak fit under the Cap
I think we could find savings elsewhere if necessary

And my thinking with McCabe is that a 2nd & decent prospect is roughly equal to a late 1st, and i don’t think anyone will actually give up a 1st for him
13 févr. 2023 à 16 h 34
Osiecki death stare
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 563
I don’t know who Brandon Biro is. Not sure he would be someone we are targeting. Weissbach is doubtful to ever be an NHLer. He was just okay at Wisconsin
13 févr. 2023 à 16 h 44
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Digitalbooya06
I don’t know who Brandon Biro is. Not sure he would be someone we are targeting. Weissbach is doubtful to ever be an NHLer. He was just okay at Wisconsin

Both good AHLers who look ready for an NHL shot
Like i said though, we have other “B level” prospects to choose from as well
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 4
Quoting: Buffalove
I get that you’re a Wild fan….
But what do u think you’d get in the summer for a declining Foligno coming off a down season?
Maybe I’m wrong here, but I’m assuming the biggest value to u guys in the deal would just be getting rid of his Cap

Yeah, like i said before, was just fudging the numbers to make Dvorak fit under the Cap
I think we could find savings elsewhere if necessary

And my thinking with McCabe is that a 2nd & decent prospect is roughly equal to a late 1st, and i don’t think anyone will actually give up a 1st for him

I think a 1st is possible is not probable for McCabe. He's not a rental and he's at the very least worth his cap hit. And with Buffalo battling for a playoff spot, I don't think Bloom would jump you up half a round if you were to try and trade up on draft day

Foligno isn't just a dump, nor does he need to be. He's still a physical leader, with very good defense at the very least. We've seen that fetch much more than fringe guys. Mid 20s AHL guys that won't amount much if anything aren't of interest to Minnesota with guys like Dewar, Shaw, Duhaime and Walker all already on the team or able to make the team next year in more limited roles. I think either a pick, Asplund or Mitts could make sense in a Foligno trade. Maybe some other pieces involved. Foligno is far from valueless or a cap casualty right now. Speaking of Asplund, has he fallen out of favour with Buffalo and/or the fans?

I think you're good on the Dvorak front if you drop the 3rd and clear up that 2+ mil so you're not paying for retention as well
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 13
Démarrer sujet
I think a 1st is possible is not probable for McCabe. He's not a rental and he's at the very least worth his cap hit. And with Buffalo battling for a playoff spot, I don't think Bloom would jump you up half a round if you were to try and trade up on draft day

Foligno isn't just a dump, nor does he need to be. He's still a physical leader, with very good defense at the very least. We've seen that fetch much more than fringe guys. Mid 20s AHL guys that won't amount much if anything aren't of interest to Minnesota with guys like Dewar, Shaw, Duhaime and Walker all already on the team or able to make the team next year in more limited roles. I think either a pick, Asplund or Mitts could make sense in a Foligno trade. Maybe some other pieces involved. Foligno is far from valueless or a cap casualty right now. Speaking of Asplund, has he fallen out of favour with Buffalo and/or the fans?

I think you're good on the Dvorak front if you drop the 3rd and clear up that 2+ mil so you're not paying for retention as well

Asplund hasn’t fallen outta favor,
he’s just been caught in a numbers game

We like Jost & Krebs better at Center than him,
and we aren’t gonna sit guys wearing a letter (Girgensons & Okposo)
He’s played fine when in the lineup

And i didn’t say Foligno is a dump
But i do think u guys would like to clear his Cap
And he is declining
Maybe he’s worth more than I’m thinking, but o don’t think he’s worth much
We probably would do Asplund for Foligno, and maybe even include a mid-round pick
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 23
rktkt66
1- Sabres have already called about Meier, proving Adams DOES (in fact) have interest NOW- so the rest of your point with him is thus rendered moot

Yes, he called - but as TBN reported, it was only a call out of due diligence to see what the cost was - something Adams himself says he does with every team. Too many are latching onto one mention by LeBrun about "the Sabres checked in on Meier" as if it's a given the Sabres and San Jose will pull a trade.

2- it’s been years since Eichel was traded (& McCabe leaving).

"Years"? Eichel was traded only 15 months ago (November 2021).

And I’d argue that McCabe left to find a better situation (chance to win) and not some nonsense about being “loyal to Eichel”
Idk where u even got that from to begin with?
Several of the Buffalo media outlets reported how close McCabe and Eichel were during their time together in Buffalo and mentioned that he wasn't happy with the squabble the Sabres had with Eichel in the summer of '21 leading up to trade.

But regardless, Buffalo is a familiar spot where he now does have a chance to win. I see no reason he’d be opposed to a reunion. Even if he had some lingering issues with how things went down when he left, it’s completely different Management now- and until given a legit reason, I’m not gonna assume there’s still any ill will coming from McCabe- IF there ever was

Not true - Adams was the GM and Granato the coach when McCabe chose to sign elsewhere.

Also, Dvorak isn’t signed long term, so he’s just here to make Krebs transition to 3C go smoothly & without throwing too much on his plate

Dvorak has another 2 years after this season - no, it's not a 6-7 year term but it's still 2 more years of blocking the path of Krebs. And you still haven't justified why the Sabres would sign Johnson out of college, only to then package him in a trade after they acquire McCabe.

All 3 of those moves are:
-reasonable to get done
-in the ballpark of being possible
-and a GREAT idea

If you say so.....

If u think otherwise, that’s fine We are allowed to disagree

I do for all the reasons noted.
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 35
Osiecki death stare
Both good AHLers who look ready for an NHL shot
Like i said though, we have other “B level” prospects to choose from as well

I’d rather just get a 2nd round pick. I trust our scouting department enough to get better than a typical b prospect with it.
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 36
rktkt66
Quoting: Garak
I don't think McCabe cares if Eichel is there or not. McCabe wasn't resigned by BUF because of his injury, which I don't think is something he wanted. But, I also don't think he would be opposed to making a return to BUF now that they are ready to contend. I think his biggest gripe would be the fact that he lives in the Chicago area during the offseason. He is a Wisconsin boy and his wife is from CHI. Regardless, he only has a no trade list, whether BUF is on that list or not is TBD, but if they aren't, he has no choice in the matter.

All I was referring to was what was reported in summer of '21 by the local media about McCabe not agreeing with how the Sabres' medical staff treated Eichel's injury and the squabble that ensued. It sounded like something that he'd be hesitant to go back to with the same management, ownership and medical staff. I would think he may have Buffalo on his NTC list for that reason but we won't know for sure unless the Sabres actually do seek out McCabe. My guess is that they won't.
Garak a aimé ceci.
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 42
Asplund hasn’t fallen outta favor,
he’s just been caught in a numbers game

We like Jost & Krebs better at Center than him,
and we aren’t gonna sit guys wearing a letter (Girgensons & Okposo)
He’s played fine when in the lineup

And i didn’t say Foligno is a dump
But i do think u guys would like to clear his Cap
And he is declining
Maybe he’s worth more than I’m thinking, but o don’t think he’s worth much
We probably would do Asplund for Foligno, and maybe even include a mid-round pick

I think that Asplund+ return should interest Guerin. I like it as the base of a trade.

Personally, I think with Eriksson-Ek finally playing with Boldy, both Foligno and Greenway should be seen as expendable. As you've mentioned, the cap relief would be nice and GREEF line lost it's touch and heavily rrgressed from last season.
homiedaclown a aimé ceci.
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 45
All I was referring to was what was reported in summer of '21 by the local media about McCabe not agreeing with how the Sabres' medical staff treated Eichel's injury and the squabble that ensued. It sounded like something that he'd be hesitant to go back to with the same management, ownership and medical staff. I would think he may have Buffalo on his NTC list for that reason but we won't know for sure unless the Sabres actually do seek out McCabe. My guess is that they won't.

Oh. Interesting. I didn't know that. Then yeah, I guess it is possible that he wouldn't be interested in going back. He seems to be a man of strong convictions too. So it wouldn't surprise me. But at the same time, being on a team that is actually competitive might be appealing to him, and he might be just the kind of player BUF needs. Plus, there is some familiarity there. Who knows though...
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 56
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Digitalbooya06
I’d rather just get a 2nd round pick. I trust our scouting department enough to get better than a typical b prospect with it.

An aging & declining Foligno is unlikely to get you a 2nd imo
But i guess we’ll see
13 févr. 2023 à 17 h 58
Osiecki death stare
An aging & declining Foligno is unlikely to get you a 2nd imo
But i guess we’ll see

Then there is no point in Minnesota trading him.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage