SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 WJC Thread

29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 26
What in tarnation
Rejoint: oct. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 31,449
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
The IIHF will meet today to discuss the future of the WJC, cancellation is on the table apparently

Understandable. At this rate, there's little options left but doing just that.
EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 27
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,385
Quoting: justaBoss
Understandable. At this rate, there's little options left but doing just that.

In any case, this shows the incompetence of the IIHF's planning
justaBoss et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 28
Démarrer sujet
Farewell
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 5,225
The IIHF will meet today to discuss the future of the WJC, cancellation is on the table apparently

Absolutely stinks, but unfortunately there may not be much of a choice (would feel so bad for the players, especially those who have been lighting it up like Bedard (even though he'll probably get another chance next year) and Lambert)
A_Habs_fan et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 29
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,982

Ya dude, this might get canceled tonight
A_Habs_fan, yikes, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 33
Daddy
Rejoint: févr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 581
This is so dumb, these players are in peak physical condition, they likely have the sniffles or are completely asymptomatic. If they are too sick to play, they won't play and isolate them from the rest of the team. We have to learn to live with this, we can't do this forever.
justaBoss, EsoYeezus69, MitchMarner_16 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 35
What in tarnation
Quoting: AustonMatthews3443
This is so dumb, these players are in peak physical condition, they likely have the sniffles or are completely asymptomatic. If they are too sick to play, they won't play and isolate them from the rest of the team. We have to learn to live with this, we can't do this forever.

Agreed
EsoYeezus69 et Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 36

It's not dumb, we still need to take Covid seriously, i think this shows more the incompetence of the IIHF's planning than anything else
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, justaBoss, MatthewsFan and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 39
Démarrer sujet
Farewell

The problem with doing that is that you're eventually going to have a Josh Archibald or somebody of the like who's actually seriously affected by it, and you never want to be responsible for that kind of thing. It's frustrating as heck, but they have to err on the side of caution, and thus there's really not much they can do at this point besides shut it down.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 41
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,828
This tournament is rapidly turning into a joke. What's the point of putting the whole team in quarantine if one player has a case? I can't fathom the idea behind this. That won't help stop the spread at all as it seems to be nigh impossible to do it in any case. Seems utterly pointless.

What they’re doing is isolating the guy who has it, and quarantining the whole team in “groups”.

For example;

Mike Hunt has COVID
He is isolated.

John Doe, Dumb Asse are his roommates so they are isolated together but separate from Mike Hunt.

And the same goes on throughout the whole team. That way whoever has COVID is isolated, whoever would be directly linked to him is isolated and than everyone else is continued to be isolated in their roommate groups or whatever that way no one else can get it and anyone who could have it is already isolated
justaBoss, EsoYeezus69 et zk97 a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 42
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436
This tournament has to get postponed imo

The WJC isn’t a hockey tournament, it’s a tournament to see which team gets Covid last

Imagine a team like Austria or Slovakia ends up winning because every other team has to forfeit

Very poor planned WJC by the IIHF
yikes, A_Habs_fan, PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188 and 2 others a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 42
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,828
If they cancel the tournament this is completely on the IIHF.

No bubble and no safety nets for teams being as cautious as they can be.
A_Habs_fan, MatthewsFan, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 43
Quoting: yikes
What they’re doing is isolating the guy who has it, and quarantining the whole team in “groups”.

For example;

Mike Hunt has COVID
He is isolated.

John Doe, Dumb Asse are his roommates so they are isolated together but separate from Mike Hunt.

And the same goes on throughout the whole team. That way whoever has COVID is isolated, whoever would be directly linked to him is isolated and than everyone else is continued to be isolated in their roommate groups or whatever that way no one else can get it and anyone who could have it is already isolated

I love the names lol but this makes sense for a way to isolate the players
zk97 a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 43

Yep, as i said a couple times already, this is on the IIHF
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 45
Daddy
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
The problem with doing that is that you're eventually going to have a Josh Archibald or somebody of the like who's actually seriously affected by it, and you never want to be responsible for that kind of thing. It's frustrating as heck, but they have to err on the side of caution, and thus there's really not much they can do at this point besides shut it down.

It's not dumb, we still need to take Covid seriously, i think this shows more the incompetence of the IIHF's planning than anything else

We are not supposed to get political on here so I won't argue, we clearly have different stances on this which is fine. The one thing I will say is Covid isn't going anywhwere any time soon, and we need to learn to live with it. Immune comprimised people are at a greater risk when they contract any type of virus/sickness not just Covid, it's unfortunate but it's the harsh truth.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 48
Démarrer sujet
Farewell

Agreed, Omicron is 70x more transmissible than Delta, which in turn was 2x as transmissible as the original strain of COVID. Do the math, that means Omicron is 140X (!!!) more transmissible than the original COVID. Even though the vast majority of people who get it are fine (I.E. are either asymptomatic or have a mild cold), IIHF still should've known that the chances of the players getting it (and thus having to shut down the WJC) drastically increased without having any precautions in place (I.E. staying in public hotels, having fans in the building, no bubbles). Take a look at what's going on around the league right now-more than 200 players have gotten COVID in the last 2 weeks alone. Did they honestly think nobody was going to get it at the World Juniors if they didn't have some kind of safety net?
AustonMatthews3443, A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 51
Démarrer sujet
Farewell
Modifié 29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 56
We are not supposed to get political on here so I won't argue, we clearly have different stances on this which is fine. The one thing I will say is Covid isn't going anywhwere any time soon, and we need to learn to live with it. Immune comprimised people are at a greater risk when they contract any type of virus/sickness not just Covid, it's unfortunate but it's the harsh truth.

The funny thing is that I actually probably agree with your political take on COVID (I'm libertarian/conservative), I just think it's too risky to keep the WJC going
AustonMatthews3443, A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 53
Ovchinnikov 137

Yup

29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 54
Daddy
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
The funny thing is that I actually probably agree with your political take on COVID (I tend to lean libertarian/conservative), I just think it's too risky to keep the WJC going

Absolutely, at this point I see no other choice but to shut it down, with the protocols that are in place there is no way this can continue.
29 déc. 2021 à 14 h 54

Yep, that's right, we need to live with Covid, however we need to slowly normalize ourselves to it, not just say f*ck it and see with happens
29 déc. 2021 à 15 h 1
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 8,968
Yep, that's right, we need to live with Covid, however we need to slowly normalize ourselves to it, not just say f*ck it and see with happens

The main problem is there’s no treatment yet. When we reach sufficient fully vaxxed rates and have a method to treat symptoms (like the pill that’s being developed) then we can probably start treating it like the flu (bearing in mind that it is most definitely not the flu), in that we don’t have to cancel everything when someone gets sick. For now though, we do, otherwise the spread just won’t stop. Also as an aside, I hate when people bring politics into this. Politicians don’t know their arse from a hole in the ground, why would anyone listen to them? This is a matter of science, and the scientists are saying it isn’t safe yet.
A_Habs_fan, yikes et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 15 h 3
Daddy
Modifié 29 déc. 2021 à 15 h 9

Every time we start to do that and the cases obviously rise as a result, we just shut it down again, at least where I live. Constantly going one step forward, then one step back. I'm not saying we just open everything backup, but teenagers in peak condition doesn't pose as much of a threat. We need to build herd immunity, the more people that get infected along with more people that get vaccinated, the better the population will be at fighting this which will let us get back to normal. This is why Omnicron is actually a good sign for the future, much more contagious while carrying milder symptoms. The IIHF fumbled the bag bigtime, you can't have all these testing protocols in place with no other safeguards to keep players from getting it, seems like they were just asking for the tournament to get shutdown.
yikes et MitchMarner_16 a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 15 h 16
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436

What a mess
MatthewsFan, A_Habs_fan, yikes and 2 others a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 15 h 17
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Devil1122

What a mess

and-like-that-hes-gone-the-usual-suspects.gif
Devil a aimé ceci.
29 déc. 2021 à 15 h 18
Quoting: Devil1122

What a mess

Ouch, was expected now but the IIHF dropped the ball on that, IIHF more like IIHooF
29 déc. 2021 à 15 h 22
What in tarnation
This tournament is going to end prematurely at this rate...I'm almost certain of it

Or to be fair it could be a race of which team can keep themselves without a single case.

Can I call this a jinx?

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage