Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

10 août 2021 à 17 h 8
Démarrer sujet
Brace for the Storm
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,647
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I disagree, he pretty much singlehandedly made Minny a playoff team, but I can see the argument

He isn't even worth 8M yet, Point is a much better overall player and he accepted a bridge. Kap is insane to ask for close to 10
10 août 2021 à 17 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 20,954
Modifié 10 août 2021 à 17 h 21
I disagree, he pretty much singlehandedly made Minny a playoff team, but I can see the argument

That and made the team somewhat relevant in the NHL. Like before Kaprisov came Minny was a team not many were excited about or heard much about. Honestly reminds me of the Charlotte Hornets before Lamelo Ball was drafted. Now whenever there's news from Minny people be going so how's that kid from Russian Kaprisov doing. So in a sense he got the team back on the NHL map.

That said Minny should just get him the center he wants than his asking price probs will go down.

In general I see both sides to the argument. Kaprisov wants a proper center to play with and money as lets face it he made Minny a playoff team as you said. But as of rn he has not earned Panarin money yet. They got till September 1st to figure it out
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 17 h 29
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436
If the Wild can't keep Kaprizov, they're screwed big time

1. No superstars leading the team
2. Fiala could be gone soon too
3. Horrible cap situation with buyouts/contracts
MitchMarner_16 et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 19 h 7
Speak of the Devil
Rejoint: nov. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 26,436

RIP
Zinger, MitchMarner_16, EsoYeezus69 and 5 others a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 19 h 13
Mentions "j'aime": 5,077
Quoting: Devil1122

RIP

Absolute legend

I remember being 7 years old and reading through hockey books and not remembering his name but knowing he was the dude with the cage mask

You’ll be missed tony. Rip
Devil, SevenLeg, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 20 h 59
EklundCelebriniSmith
Rejoint: sept. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 12,828
Modifié 10 août 2021 à 21 h 6
Quoting: HelmutCool
Btw I always love the emotions around the Canada olympic squad selections. As a finn, we of course dont have quite the plethora to select from ( not too bad though recent years ) but it does result to less moaning and crying on the 3rd and 4th line selections.

Do you honestly think you should select the most talented 13 forwards as a rule of thumb???

Basically after 1st and 2nd lines take their 21+19 minutes of icetime and all off the PP the former 2 lines are left to bicker for the 20 remaining minutes and PK. They are left with playing against the opponents 1st line ( and honestly for example Finlands Rantanen- Barkov-Aho is a handfull)
Do you want skill players like Barzal playing against them defensive end plays???

All after trying to cope with the change of playing 10-12 minutes less than they usually get in their regular teams.

Hell no. You want physical, hard tackling grit guys who know/and have played the 10-13 minutes a game. Who know how to adapt yo that, know how to keep themselves ready and warm despite the lack of minutes.

It wouldnt surprise me at all Coleman would wound up on the team. And a couple of more guys who could thrive in similar role.

Its a piss poor idea to choose 13 most talented ones. I wouldnt even blame Cooper for choosing something like Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck just for the hell off it as a 4th line. Atleast they are familiar with each other ( in a 3 week tournament it pays off not to start from scratch) and honestly they are good at what they do on the ice for the glorious 8 minutes awg they would be getting.
Defensive end plays, PK, hitting, grinding, getting under the skin of opponents 1st line guys.

But what do I know.... as a rule of thumb most people ignore totally the roles players need to play when it comes to Team Canada, and are shocked and betrayed their guy who scored 70+ points didnt get picked. (Although their strengt might lie in running the PP, which he wouldnt get to do att all)

Get what youre saying but Team Canada always builds their team cognizant of these things so heres the breakdown:

Hubby - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Point

Those 6 are locks - who cares about the lines

Then bottom six leads into:

Barzal, Bergy, OReilly, Marner, Stone, Couts, Sch, Stamkos, Someone maybe we dont forsee (Laffy if he breaks out etc etc).

Hubby - McDavid - MacKinnon = Pure OFF and talent/ speed
Marchand - Crosby - Point = Unreal two way in both ends
Marner - Bergy/ OReilly - Stone = Literally a pain in the ass (IF BERGY aint performing than its Couts or OReilly)
Sch - Barzal - Someone unforseen or loser of 3C
Couts
Heres why Canada CAN PICK BARZAL = You have a middle 6 that has the two way capabilities that can matchup with any line from every other team or outmatch them more often than not
This leaves your OFF drivers to line 1 (Hub,McD,MacK), and thennnnnnn well no one else is line 3 is gonna be your "danault/ gourde" lines from the playoffs (def oriented matchup to toplines). Marchands line will be two way and likely deployed in all situations. Then you have your 4th line. Where Canada HAS these arguments because we have the ability to flex our strength : pure elite depth.

Imagine other teams "gritty or grindy" fourth lines having to play against Sch; whos responsible and super talented. Barzal literally made other teams look like pylons all playoffs; dont need to here that he will be struggling against grinders.

Its laughable to think guys like Cizikas or Gourde should make the team. Canada has shown in the past they value team D and talent. That middle 6 plus our projected D core should make more pros then cons for guys like Barzal, Sch etc.

(Kinda messy writing sorry, multitasking)
10 août 2021 à 20 h 59
Hop on the Slaftrain
Rejoint: févr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 20,495
I seriously believe the Lightning are going to three-peat and it scares the **** out of me.
yikes, Kotkaniemi15, aadoyle and 4 others a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 2
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: SevenLeg
I seriously believe the Lightning are going to three-peat and it scares the **** out of me.

They will. Bowman ****ed the whole league. Ill die on that hill.

THE FACT TAMPA IS CAP COMPLIANT WITHOUT LOSING ANY FIRSTS IS ACTUALLY A GMOTY NOM FOR JBB (maybe they can share with Bowman for saving them).
SevenLeg, A_Habs_fan et BuFfaLOFaN a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 16
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 17,385
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
He isn't even worth 8M yet, Point is a much better overall player and he accepted a bridge. Kap is insane to ask for close to 10

Point is not a good comp as he’s easily worth 10+ and took a Tampa discount, Kaprizov is, based off the past season, easily worth 8+
aadoyle et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 22
Former Hockey Fan
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 10,516

I’m not scared, just sadly resigned.

Our only hope is that Montréal can make it into the Metro wild card and hope by some shred of luck the Panthers (or anyone else) can come out on top.
SevenLeg et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 25
Hakuna Matata

I think they still make the playoffs but with the GGC line now gone I don't think they 3 peat. As that line was instrumental in their playoff push.

WATCH THEM PROVE ME WRONG IM READY
10 août 2021 à 21 h 27
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: aadoyle
I think they still make the playoffs but with the GGC line now gone I don't think they 3 peat. As that line was instrumental in their playoff push.

bro theyre gonna prove you wrong by trading their 2022 first and their 2024 2nd for a new third line huff
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 27
Hakuna Matata
Point is not a good comp as he’s easily worth 10+ and took a Tampa discount, Kaprizov is, based off the past season, easily worth 8+

Florida taxes often = Lower total cap hit. Case in point Stamkos was gonna make 10.5mill in Toronto vs 8.5mill in Tampa. Toronto has higher taxes so it made sense
10 août 2021 à 21 h 29
Former Hockey Fan

“I think they make the playoffs”

And I think that the sun is going to shine tomorrow.

Also, Tampa Bay is still the best team in the league on paper, with or without their 3rd line.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 29
Hop on the Slaftrain

They already replaced one third of the line (Goodrow) with Perry who is as good if not better.
Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 31
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes
bro theyre gonna prove you wrong by trading their 2022 first and their 2024 2nd for a new third line huff

Oh **** I didnt think of that

Like honestly would not be surprised if they trade for 3 rentals at 50% retention at the deadline so by my guess were gonna see a third line of

Jarnkrok-Paul-Athanasiou
10 août 2021 à 21 h 32
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 10 août 2021 à 21 h 39
They already replaced one third of the line (Goodrow) with Perry who is as good if not better.

I think Perry is playing on the 4th line with Maroon and PEB. I call it the new old man line basically

Maroon-PEB-Perry. Grumpy old vets who will bash you into submission and rack up them points

rn the third line I'm looking at is Joseph-Colton-BB. Or the Kid line
10 août 2021 à 21 h 35
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
“I think they make the playoffs”

And I think that the sun is going to shine tomorrow.

Also, Tampa Bay is still the best team in the league on paper, with or without their 3rd line.

well the injury fairy could strike. Like what if Vasilesky is out for the season or Point, Stamkos, and Hedman all have surgery. Unlikely but what happened in 2017 could happen again. As lets be real those players be having airbags in their uniforms or something
10 août 2021 à 21 h 39
Former Hockey Fan
well the injury fairy could strike. Like what if Vasilesky is out for the season or Point, Stamkos, and Hedman all have surgery. Unlikely but what happened in 2017 could happen again. As lets be real those players be having airbags in their uniforms or something

Sure it could happen, just like Arizona could win the Stanley Cup next year, but the odds are ridiculously small and obviously not realistic.
aadoyle et A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 42
Former Hockey Fan

I’m assuming this means his Chicago contract, because this makes 0 sense if he’s referring to his current deal.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 56
Hakuna Matata

I’m assuming this means his Chicago contract, because this makes 0 sense if he’s referring to his current deal.

In general Lehners the one who took a discount so he really should not be complaining lul. Someone would have given him 6+ mill on open market especially with his Vegas numbers. But he chose to stay in Vegas for less. Tying it to mental health issues seems odd as I dont see how that = taking less money
A_Habs_fan a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 56
Hop on the Slaftrain

If he does not, no one forced him to sign with a cap-strapped Vegas team.
Devil et Kotkaniemi15 a aimé ceci.
10 août 2021 à 21 h 58
EklundCelebriniSmith
If he does not, no one forced him to sign with a cap-strapped Vegas team.

In general Lehners the one who took a discount so he really should not be complaining lul. Someone would have given him 6+ mill on open market especially with his Vegas numbers. But he chose to stay in Vegas for less. Tying it to mental health issues seems odd as I dont see how that = taking less money

my best guess would be that he simply got no offers (likely his agent and him tested waters if he should leave vegas and no one probably offered anything substantial)

IF thats correct, that seems to make a little sense.
10 août 2021 à 22 h 0
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes
my best guess would be that he simply got no offers (likely his agent and him tested waters if he should leave vegas and no one probably offered anything substantial)

IF thats correct, that seems to make a little sense.

Lehners english is also a little poor lol, so we could lose something in "translation"

Actually I believe Lehner signed his extension with Vegas before FA officially started. As 1 weeks before it was said he reached a deal for 5mill x 5 years. Was either Serevalli or Friedman who said it. But Capfriendly didn't post it till like the next day after FA started. Cause lets be real if Markstrom got 6mill, Lehner would have easily got that
10 août 2021 à 22 h 1
EklundCelebriniSmith
Actually I believe he signed before FA officially started. As 1 weeks before it was said he reached a deal for 5mill x 5 years. Was either Serevalli or Friedman who said it

thats what i mean, they tested the waters - didnt actually hit FA because they didnt think it would be best for lehners future/ career/ pay

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage