Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 3 - Winter Blues

2 janv. à 13 h 18
Rejoint: avr. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 1,512
Quoting: aadoyle
Fleury is way to streaky and I dont want to spend assets on a goalie

It makes 0 sense for this team to go waste assets on an area thats Voodo

Better to just upgrade other area's and leave the goaltending be. As who knows we could see Sammy rebound or Woll/Jones be idea

Agreed...sort of...I just don't see a late 3rd round pick as a asset to lose sleep over. Assuming that 3rd isn't something you need in a trade for a higher priority target, I wouldn't have an issue bringing depth, playoff experience and a great locker room guy. If anything, it's insurance against voodoo with our current group
2 janv. à 13 h 21
In general this TC was not built well and even if he wasnt Captain and they gave it to Poitras people would still hate as its ooo leafs prospect lets burn em lul

As yea I saw issues with that team from game 1 but unlike last year they didnt have a Bedard to carry them out of it. Celebrini was good but not the it man

He put up the points but the carry factor not there.

Anyways for both its a learning experience and for Cowan hes probs gonna be on next years team

Probably better to just give credit to Czechia. They took USA to a shootout in the round robin. It's a quality opponent and the puck went their way today.

This year's squad definitely not as strong as in year's past, but I'd rather tip my cap to the team that beat us vs. looking to blame anyone
2 janv. à 13 h 56
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,300
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
It's wild to me how much the narrative on Minten has shifted after the WJCs. People just love to hate. You can't win every WJC every year, it's just the nature of the sport. It was fun to watch some of the kids play and I'm sure it was an excellent experience for them (barring the heartbreak at the end, but even that is a valuable experience)

Cowan looked like a thunder bug and Minten is still a super promising youngster.

I think the reason the narrative shifted is because people who bought into the unrealistic hype are coming to terms with the reality of what he is as a prospect while at the same time dealing with Canada being ousted early. If the hype for him weren't so out of control in the first place we wouldn't be dealing with this.
MatthewsFan a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 14 h 27
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I think the reason the narrative shifted is because people who bought into the unrealistic hype are coming to terms with the reality of what he is as a prospect while at the same time dealing with Canada being ousted early. If the hype for him weren't so out of control in the first place we wouldn't be dealing with this.

What are leaf fans actually expecting from him?

Isn't best case scenario that he cracks the team next year as a 3C? A young prospect that will hopefully contribute to this team in a bottom 6 role on an ELC is what gets me excited...with the hope he can maybe develop into a 2C at some point in a few years. It was great to see him given the C and a leadership role on Team Canada...speaks well to his character....but I'm mostly impressed with the scouting staff being able to identify players like him and Cowan in the spots they were drafted.
2 janv. à 14 h 41
Quoting: Juice

Isn't best case scenario that he cracks the team next year as a 3C? A young prospect that will hopefully contribute to this team in a bottom 6 role on an ELC is what gets me excited...with the hope he can maybe develop into a 2C at some point in a few years. It was great to see him given the C and a leadership role on Team Canada...speaks well to his character....but I'm mostly impressed with the scouting staff being able to identify players like him and Cowan in the spots they were drafted.

A lot of people have (or had) him shoed in as a sure-fire 2C who will be replacing Tavares when his deal is up, and that's always been wild to me. Personally I think his ceiling as an NHL player is a solid 3C who's more defense oriented.
2 janv. à 14 h 50
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
A lot of people have (or had) him shoed in as a sure-fire 2C who will be replacing Tavares when his deal is up, and that's always been wild to me. Personally I think his ceiling as an NHL player is a solid 3C who's more defense oriented.

I think 3C is even asking a lot.

A solid 4C is what I am imagining
2 janv. à 14 h 50
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,120

Nah hes a 3c and that to me is perfect as once McDavid comes we got 4 Centers that will begin with M soon

THE PLAN IS COMING TOGETHER
2 janv. à 14 h 52
Hakuna Matata

A lot of people saw him as a 2c like Cirelli. But I never saw that. To me he was a 3c like Laughton or Paul

But never say never as sometimes guys can surprise you with time.

And when u look at the potential future of this team and who they may go get for 2c it makes sense why they went and got him. If he can become a nice 3c I got 0 complaints
2 janv. à 14 h 57
Ok....so most reasonable fans have his career averaging out to a 3C role with the potential to maybe ascend to 2C in a few years but maybe also settling down into 4C.
2 janv. à 14 h 59
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I think 3C is even asking a lot.

A solid 4C is what I am imagining

I'm talking ceiling here. He definitely lacks individual offensive chops at 5v5, but he is strong defensively and intelligent. So long as he can find a niche shutting down NHL opposition and bring along his offensive game a bit, I think 3C is in the realm of possibility for sure.
2 janv. à 15 h 7
Ovchinnikov 137
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,983
I'm talking ceiling here. He definitely lacks individual offensive chops at 5v5, but he is strong defensively and intelligent. So long as he can find a niche shutting down NHL opposition and bring along his offensive game a bit, I think 3C is in the realm of possibility for sure.

I’m pretty tired of TOR having nothing offensive from their 3rd line C’s (Kerfoot/Kampf) it’s why I’m still open to the idea of Domi there (even with his defensive short comings)
LeafsFanForSomeReason a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 15 h 11
Hakuna Matata
Ok....so most reasonable fans have his career averaging out to a 3C role with the potential to maybe ascend to 2C in a few years but maybe also settling down into 4C.

Pretty much. Cause if we think about the future when JT's done I dont think the replacement's gonna be internal

More so I think they have a big fish in mind

As by the time JT and his 11m is up they have a lot of cap for Draisaitl, McDavid, or another 2c target
2 janv. à 15 h 12
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 2 janv. à 15 h 17
https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1741941164574421238

Papetti talking about some numbers for TOR and some stuff's pretty interesting

But one of the big ones

Knies-Matthews-Marner: 54.7xgf%
Bertuzzi-Tavares-Nylander: 66.2xgf%
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok: 59.1xgf%

Gregor-Kampf-McMann: 39.9xgf%

And in case your curious Gregor got the lowest XGF% of all forwards on this team 35.5%.

Honestly dont know why Keefe wont bring up Steeves. Guys been lighting it up with the Marlies and to me would be a welcomed 4th line addition to experiment with

Same with Ellis, Abruzzese, Bellows, etc in other regards
2 janv. à 15 h 37
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,062
Funny how TC has 2 leaf prospects and then then everyone blames them when they dont get past the Czech's. I get one was Captain and stuff

But sorry 2 players were far from the problem as what I saw from this TC was a butload of issues

1. **** PK
2. Inconsistent Goaltender
3. No carry factor (Bedard carried TC past its problems, this year they had nobody Celibrini was not it)

Also doesnt help that year refs in that league decided to be worse than NHL refs

But hey Cowan and maybe Chadwick will be on next years team so thats at least something

BC everything is on the Leafs prospects... They can't accept that Owen Beck isn't as good as he seemed
2 janv. à 15 h 41
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
BC everything is on the Leafs prospects... They can't accept that Owen Beck isn't as good as he seemed

In general im not singling out a single prospect as the entire team Canada had issues with only a few bright spots thats it

The problems from last year carried over except no Bedard to save em thats really it
2 janv. à 15 h 44
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,062
In general im not singling out a single prospect as the entire team Canada had issues with only a few bright spots thats it

The problems from last year carried over except no Bedard to save em thats really it

I was just trying to say; most of the critics are Sens and Habs fans...
2 janv. à 16 h 52
Hakuna Matata
Honestly the plan with Sammy sounds like what we did with Jack and to me its perfect. Get him away from the noise and give him a mental reset

As there have been times where we saw last years Sammy show up and we just need him to rediscover it again.

Also Keefe's comments on Jones has me going so why did we call Hildeby up if your potentially not even gonna play him in a b2b

"Sheldon Keefe says the decision for a starter tomorrow will depend on how Martin Jones feels after the game today. "
2 janv. à 17 h 50
Honestly the plan with Sammy sounds like what we did with Jack and to me its perfect. Get him away from the noise and give him a mental reset

As there have been times where we saw last years Sammy show up and we just need him to rediscover it again.

Also Keefe's comments on Jones has me going so why did we call Hildeby up if your potentially not even gonna play him in a b2b

"Sheldon Keefe says the decision for a starter tomorrow will depend on how Martin Jones feels after the game today. "

My thoughts on this are the same I had with Minten at the beginning of the year. Don't focus on the negative of having a prospect up and not playing for a couple weeks...look at it as a reward for good performance...it's extremely exciting for a prospect/minor leaguer to get called up to the big team....hang with the big boys...travel and dine in luxury, etc...get a taste for what's to come.

His progress is not going to be stalled by not getting much playing time over a short period of time....but gaining the comfortability of what the NHL is like can help with the transition in later years.
2 janv. à 17 h 53
I know he's not the most iron clad source, but Kyper says the Leafs and Willy are trending towards a deal. Both want it done before the ASG and it's believed to be > $11m...
2 janv. à 18 h 0
I know he's not the most iron clad source, but Kyper says the Leafs and Willy are trending towards a deal. Both want it done before the ASG and it's believed to be > $11m...

Kyper is an awful source....but Freidman has been reporting this for two weeks in a row on HNIC intermission and I do trust him so would love to see something finalized soon.

Have to guess that Treliving wants to get something done ahead of the trade deadline....if not...things could get interesting.
2 janv. à 18 h 9
Kyper is an awful source....but Freidman has been reporting this for two weeks in a row on HNIC intermission and I do trust him so would love to see something finalized soon.

Have to guess that Treliving wants to get something done ahead of the trade deadline....if not...things could get interesting.

I don’t always catch the intermissions, but I haven’t seen anything about an ASG timeline or a $/term prediction.

I really hope that prediction is wrong because as much as I’ve been a proponent of just getting him signed, this would be paying him for the best stretch of hockey in his career
Juice a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 21 h 7
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 2 janv. à 21 h 13

I swear if hes right though the term double digit and try to win gonna need another lvl lul

Like dont get me wrong I love Willy but that has disaster written all over it

To me Willy is falling under the "contract year play" category and while 11m may look great now what if next year he drops back to an 80 point guy thats gonna look so bad

To me 10.25m-10.5 x 8 years is perfect for both sides

As rn hes on pace for 116 points 41 goals and 75 assists in 82 games

Gaudreau was offered 10.5m when he had 40 goals and 75 assists in CGY (ended up signing 9.75m with CBJ). Contract ended up going to Huberdeau who also had 115 points less goals but more assists and look how that deal turned out.

Cause yea my concern is Nylander ends up almost like Huberdeau or Gaudreau (dont see it being drastic but who knows).
2 janv. à 21 h 36
Hakuna Matata
Also Kypreos BTW

GC4RiRBbYAA3RFR?format=jpg&name=medium

So anything by him the biggest handful of salt lul
2 janv. à 22 h 52
Ya. Kyper is entertaining. I enjoy listening to his show…but ever since he got canned from his original ‘insider’ role with SN, his podcast take are clickbaiting and usually show a lack of awareness of the cba and team cap situation.

He knows what he’s doing. He know if he tosses out $11m+ for nylander that it’s gonna cause a stir. Pretty sure he was $14m+ for Auston at one point
NorthernLeafsFan05 a aimé ceci.
2 janv. à 23 h 10
Hakuna Matata
Ya. Kyper is entertaining. I enjoy listening to his show…but ever since he got canned from his original ‘insider’ role with SN, his podcast take are clickbaiting and usually show a lack of awareness of the cba and team cap situation.

He knows what he’s doing. He know if he tosses out $11m+ for nylander that it’s gonna cause a stir. Pretty sure he was $14m+ for Auston at one point

How that man even has a job there be mindblowing

What dirty secret he got on SN director

Like we could have anyone else there and they be better

Yes theres the once in a lifetime moment hes on the dot. But its mostly talk out his ass

Would rather have a show like Tim & Bourne

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage