Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs Playoff Preview for Leaf Fans - Please See Description

Créé par: tmlfan4life
Équipe: 2022-23 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 14 avr. 2023
Publié: 14 avr. 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Before everyone piles on about how “the Leafs suck” or that “they don’t have a chance” or “1967” or whatever unfunny and unproductive comment comes to mind, this is no place for it. There are occasionally some extremist Leaf fans that you have complete right of way to make jabs at, but I say all of this to make a relevant point about this current iteration of the Leafs. They were so close to sealing the deal in the first round last year, regardless of whether they were screwed out of a goal at a pivotal time. They have the tools to go further.

Kyle Dubas has put all his chips in this year, and there’s a paper trail to prove it. There’s more sandpaper to this lineup. Adding O’Reilly, Acciari, McCabe, Lafferty, Gustafsson, Schenn and more recently Matthew Knies, while really only losing Anderson, Engvall and Sandin is impressive.

William Nylander recently said “I won’t be proud until we f***ing win,” which got my attention for a couple of reasons. 1) Maybe this team has the passion and if the same anger courses through their bodies as it currently does with Nylander, perhaps that will be the factor to finally get them to rise above the Lightning; B) Wrathful Willy could be super lethal, but I digress.

The Leafs are a team now with options up front, on defence, and have, at best, remarkably adequate goaltending. We won’t know until the games happen, but I have faith in this team. Maybe history does repeat itself, but maybe it won’t. That’s the beautifully dangerous thing about the unwritten future. I’ve practically been born a Leaf fan, but the best thing to do day-to-day at this rate is to be cautiously optimistic. I would love to see them win the Cup, but you always have those reservations in the back of your head making you hesitate a bit.

To close this out, I’d like to add that I made this music video of the Leafs (https://youtu.be/aAhxCM_Xs5Y) using the song This is Love This is Life by Bon Jovi as the vibe preceding game one of the playoffs. The whole channel is dedicated to editing music to footage of the Leafs, but this video in particular says it all about these upcoming playoffs.
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de BOS
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de NYI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2482 500 000 $82 412 913 $212 500 $0 $87 087 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
UFA - 2
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
UFA - 3
950 000 $950 000 $
AG
UFA - 1
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 3
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
UFA - 2
840 630 $840 630 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 875 000 $1 875 000 $
C
UFA - 1
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
AG, C, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
C
UFA - 1
1 150 000 $1 150 000 $
AD, C, AG
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 3
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 8
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
NTC
UFA - 2
1 800 000 $1 800 000 $
G
UFA - 1
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
766 667 $766 667 $
G
RFA - 3
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
4 687 500 $4 687 500 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
850 000 $850 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
NTC
UFA - 2
796 667 $796 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
762 500 $762 500 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
750 000 $750 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
14 avr. 2023 à 16 h 9
This team kills me
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,511
This is our year!!!
14 avr. 2023 à 16 h 9
This team kills me
Rejoint: mars 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 1,511
Quoting: BeautifulIdiot
This is our year!!!

our year to win bedard
14 avr. 2023 à 16 h 15
Seiders on the Storm
Rejoint: mai 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 7,764
Leafs held an outdoor practice today. Marner won.

https://youtu.be/8a-HfNE3EIo
tmlfan4life a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 16 h 20
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 23,475
Leafs are better this year than last year, and better after the TDL. But I wouldn't call it an impressive TDL.
Besides the exchange of players you mentioned above, the Leafs had a net loss of a first rounder, two 2nd rounders, a third rounder and fourth rounder,.
Leafs have a middling prospect base at best, and this scenario makes their prospect list even worse for the next few years. Prospects who make the NHL are really needed because they have nicely prized ELCs and sometimes their first RFAs contracts.
Besides the obvious first rounders the Leafs drafted.....Reilly/Nylander/Matthews/Marner there isn't one Leaf draft pick that is gonna play in the playoff (well maybe Woll and Knies)

Leafs better have a successfully playoffs, as they will never be better than they are now for at least 5 years. No success....no Dubas (I hope)
14 avr. 2023 à 16 h 21
Seiders on the Storm
Quoting: BeautifulIdiot
our year to win bedard

Ok but Red Wings get Fantilli Lace

https://youtu.be/4b-by5e4saI
tmlfan4life et BeautifulIdiot a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 16 h 28
Rejoint: sept. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 125
Quoting: palhal
Leafs are better this year than last year, and better after the TDL. But I wouldn't call it an impressive TDL.
Besides the exchange of players you mentioned above, the Leafs had a net loss of a first rounder, two 2nd rounders, a third rounder and fourth rounder,.
Leafs have a middling prospect base at best, and this scenario makes their prospect list even worse for the next few years. Prospects who make the NHL are really needed because they have nicely prized ELCs and sometimes their first RFAs contracts.
Besides the obvious first rounders the Leafs drafted.....Reilly/Nylander/Matthews/Marner there isn't one Leaf draft pick that is gonna play in the playoff (well maybe Woll and Knies)

Leafs better have a successfully playoffs, as they will never be better than they are now for at least 5 years. No success....no Dubas (I hope)

People have been saying we won't be better than we are now for the past 3+ years. It felt like there wasn't anyway we were going to get better after last season, yet here we are. Hopefully Dubas stays after this season, win or lose, because he's done a terrific job at making the roster competitive every year. Not sure what your point on our prospect pool is supposed to make. Most teams that have cup aspirations don't have an elite prospect pool, and I still think Dubas has done a good job of drafting given the picks he's traded away. Not to mention the unfortunate circumstances of Amirov, who was showing a lot of promise before his situation and most likely would have been on the roster by now.
tmlfan4life a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 16 h 36
Seiders on the Storm
Quoting: GladeBang12
People have been saying we won't be better than we are now for the past 3+ years. It felt like there wasn't anyway we were going to get better after last season, yet here we are. Hopefully Dubas stays after this season, win or lose, because he's done a terrific job at making the roster competitive every year. Not sure what your point on our prospect pool is supposed to make. Most teams that have cup aspirations don't have an elite prospect pool, and I still think Dubas has done a good job of drafting given the picks he's traded away. Not to mention the unfortunate circumstances of Amirov, who was showing a lot of promise before his situation and most likely would have been on the roster by now.

Leafs/Tampa should be the best series of the first round. This Matchup has been known since January really. There's some bad blood remaining from last year's playoffs.

Fans from both teams can make valid arguments as to why their teams will win. But it's like I used to tell Avs fans back in the day...

"Soon we'll have our answers."

Here's to a great playoff series! 🍻
tmlfan4life et RipNasty a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 17 h 29
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,250

For the sake of your mental health, they better win. Take a step from the edge brother, it's all going to be okay.
tmlfan4life a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 17 h 31
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,682
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Ok but Red Wings get Fantilli Lace

https://youtu.be/4b-by5e4saI

Wow a Big Bopper reference.
tmlfan4life a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 17 h 31
Rip
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Leafs/Tampa should be the best series of the first round. This Matchup has been known since January really. There's some bad blood remaining from last year's playoffs.

Fans from both teams can make valid arguments as to why their teams will win. But it's like I used to tell Avs fans back in the day...

"Soon we'll have our answers."

Here's to a great playoff series! 🍻

On paper it should be fairly one sided but it is Tampa and it is the Leafs. I am trying to pull my excitement back because it will be heart breaking if they fail again.
tmlfan4life a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 17 h 40
Rejoint: janv. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 1,413

There’s glass half empty guys and then there is you 😕. You need to take the weekend off before the playoffs kick in. Leafs are in relatively good shape moving forward. Years of finishing high in the standings + trading away assets at TDL will impact prospect pool…but Leafs are in better shape than most other top teams. Leafs core is elite and in their prime + they have good prospects coming - Knies, Woll, Minten, Niemela - and pretty reasonable cap flexibility. Breathe and enjoy - best time of the year. Go Leafs go!
tmlfan4life et RipNasty a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 19 h 40
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: RipNasty
For the sake of your mental health, they better win. Take a step from the edge brother, it's all going to be okay.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about my mental health...well as least how out pertains to the Leafs. I can remember their four Cup win in the 60s.
Yeah, they have a good team, but I still think win or lose, the core is going to change significantly in the next few years. How the GM spends the cap (as with all teams) will determine if the Leafs continue to a top team or pretenders. Gotta say, I think the Atlantic is going to be a very tight division very soon.
14 avr. 2023 à 19 h 45
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: MitchJr
There’s glass half empty guys and then there is you 😕. You need to take the weekend off before the playoffs kick in. Leafs are in relatively good shape moving forward. Years of finishing high in the standings + trading away assets at TDL will impact prospect pool…but Leafs are in better shape than most other top teams. Leafs core is elite and in their prime + they have good prospects coming - Knies, Woll, Minten, Niemela - and pretty reasonable cap flexibility. Breathe and enjoy - best time of the year. Go Leafs go!

Take the weekend off? Yes from sports, but damn the weather looks pretty good so I'll have the stressful job of cleaning up the lawn after a long winter. Yes, I will enjoy thank you, and agree with Go Leafs Go.
14 avr. 2023 à 19 h 47
Rip
Oh, I wouldn't worry about my mental health...well as least how out pertains to the Leafs. I can remember their four Cup win in the 60s.
Yeah, they have a good team, but I still think win or lose, the core is going to change significantly in the next few years. How the GM spends the cap (as with all teams) will determine if the Leafs continue to a top team or pretenders. Gotta say, I think the Atlantic is going to be a very tight division very soon.

Dubas is a top shelf GM. If they fire him, the team is going to go south on a hurry.
14 avr. 2023 à 19 h 49
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Dubas is a top shelf GM. If they fire him, the team is going to go south on a hurry.

I just wish, he wasn't involved in contract negotiations. IMO he has been weak in that regard.
14 avr. 2023 à 19 h 52
Rip

I also just can't understand your obsession with paying middling players more than they deserve instead of star players big money. It just doesn't have any empirical data to support that notion. Teams with cap issues are teams with terrible contracts that can't be moved. TO just doesn't have those contracts. Yeah their prospect pool is lacking compared to bottom feeders but which of those have a core of Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Rielly? Plus Knies looks like more than just a decent depth guy, kid looks like he'll be a big time contributor. Minten I think will be a great depth guy in a couple of years. Dubas keeps finding gems for cheap as well. Kampf, ZAR, Bunting etc. And look at how they develop players, Holmberg looks amazing for a late round pick and there are others a few years out. They have the top end talent and a cap structure that can keep them around long term. Things are in a good spot, they just need some luck in the playoffs and then the skies the limit.
tmlfan4life a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 19 h 58
Rip
I just wish, he wasn't involved in contract negotiations. IMO he has been weak in that regard.

That's without a doubt nonsense. It's ignoring almost everything that went down since he's been GM and focusing on troll talk and comparing apples to oranges. You and others will point to Matthews, JT and Marner's deals as massive overpays. While ignoring that they were what the market dictated. From a cap percentage, Matthews and Marner took less money than Crosby did. He gets praised for being a team player and taking less but that's utter nonsense considering where the cap was when he signed his deal. Many point to MacKinnon who signed his 1st deal after a good rookie year was followed by 3 mediocre seasons. He was into his 2nd year of his 2nd deal before he broke out.

You are also ignoring the pandemic and it's impact on the cap not rising. And also ignore basically every other contract he's signed. Brodie, Bunting, Kampf, Zar, etc etc. He's not perfect but Dubas has built a very good squad. He's had some bad luck with goaltending but maybe he's finally solved that problem with Samsonov and Woll.

Dubas is great
tmlfan4life a aimé ceci.
14 avr. 2023 à 20 h 6
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Modifié 14 avr. 2023 à 20 h 12
I also just can't understand your obsession with paying middling players more than they deserve instead of star players big money. It just doesn't have any empirical data to support that notion. Teams with cap issues are teams with terrible contracts that can't be moved. TO just doesn't have those contracts. Yeah their prospect pool is lacking compared to bottom feeders but which of those have a core of Matthews, Nylander, Marner and Rielly? Plus Knies looks like more than just a decent depth guy, kid looks like he'll be a big time contributor. Minten I think will be a great depth guy in a couple of years. Dubas keeps finding gems for cheap as well. Kampf, ZAR, Bunting etc. And look at how they develop players, Holmberg looks amazing for a late round pick and there are others a few years out. They have the top end talent and a cap structure that can keep them around long term. Things are in a good spot, they just need some luck in the playoffs and then the skies the limit.

Has nothing to do my "obsession" as you suggest, but facts that the Leafs have mismanaged the cap.
Gee, Tampa won the Cup with Point, their top centre maybe 6.5m Avs win the Cup with a 6.5 McKinnon, their captain Landesgog making 7.0, Maker making 9.5, less than three Leafs
Bruins have had for years Marchand at 6.25m, Bergeron at 7.25m, Patches at 6.75,m. That's their core.

I wish folks would check the facts. When Aho and Marner both had their RFA contracts come up...those two players had identical stats for two straight seasons.
Aho signed 8.5m X 5. Marner 11m X 6. Marner to be compared to Aho and a six year deal, would have got 9m X 6. The Leafs overpaid him by 2m.
Was Matthews at the time worth the second most $$$, and even worse the Leafs just extended to a five year contract.

I don't necessary blame Dubas exclusively, where were all the high priced MLSE executives? There were comparable to be made.

At the time of the signings....Matthews. Marner were overpaid, maybe even Nylander. Sorry, if folks want to compare Leafs core to any other successful or even more successful cores, objective fans will say the Leafs overpaid their core players.
But I will agree with you, the Leafs have had some bad luck in the playoffs. Just "logical odds" would say they should have won some rounds in the past six years.
14 avr. 2023 à 20 h 17
Rip
Has nothing to do my "obsession" as you suggest, but facts that the Leafs have mismanaged the cap.
Gee, Tampa won the Cup with Point, their top centre maybe 6.5m Avs win the Cup with a 6.5 McKinnon, their captain Landesgog making 7.0, Maker making 9.5, less than three Leafs
Bruins have had for years Marchand at 6.25m, Bergeron at 7.25m, Patches at 6.75,m. That's their core.

At the time of the signings....Matthews. Marner were overpaid, maybe even Nylander. Sorry, if folks want to compare Leafs core to any other successful or even more successful cores, objective fans will say the Leafs overpaid their core players.
But I will agree with you, the Leafs have had some bad luck in the playoffs. Just "logical odds" would say they should have won some rounds in the past six years.

McDavid signed for 12.5 and then Eichel for 10.5. Matthews who isn't as good as McDavid but signed his deal a year later when the cup had risen a large amount and projected to rise even higher got a fair deal based on the market.

Comparing what he makes to what MacKinnon made is connecting dots that are in different books. Correlation does not equal causation. Had the pandemic not wrecked the leagues finances for 3 years, no one would be saying these things. Like a said apples to oranges. Tampa won a cup with Kucherov and Stamkos making over 9 and then went to the final with Vasilevsky and Point making major money as well as Hedman. Tampa also had to move their 2nd best defenceman for nothing and pay to move Johnson, had to move JT Miller and have had to do other things to make room and kept winning. They are also older and needed to go through their own stuff to get to the promised land.

The other thing worth noting, comparing players cap hits from years past is silly. What guys signed for when the cap was significantly smaller than it was when Matthews signed is just bad math. Percentage is a better comparison and when using that Matthews is getting less than a lot of guys. Crosby is a good example, especially when you consider he gets the hero label for taking less money to keep the team together, and still signed for a higher cap percentage than Matthews did. The deals are not and never have been a problem. They are the best players on the team and we can afford them so long as the GM doesn't make stupid signings like giving 40 point wingers 5-7 million like Lou loves to do.
14 avr. 2023 à 20 h 25
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Michael makes 10.0m, not 10.5m. I'm not denying your love for your "guys". The flat cap affects everyone. All I"m saying...and it's factual, the Leafs overpaid their stars at the time of signing and for the term they signed for.

I'll even go into a rumour...which I don't know if can ever be confirmed. Matthew apparently asked for 12M X 8 contract the summer before he signed an extension of 11.642m X 5 in January.
Marner asked for 8m X 8 years extension the summer before he actually signed for 10.9 X 6. Seems like the Dubas and friends totally mismanaged their contract negotiations.
14 avr. 2023 à 21 h 50
Rip
Michael makes 10.0m, not 10.5m. I'm not denying your love for your "guys". The flat cap affects everyone. All I"m saying...and it's factual, the Leafs overpaid their stars at the time of signing and for the term they signed for.

I'll even go into a rumour...which I don't know if can ever be confirmed. Matthew apparently asked for 12M X 8 contract the summer before he signed an extension of 11.642m X 5 in January.
Marner asked for 8m X 8 years extension the summer before he actually signed for 10.9 X 6. Seems like the Dubas and friends totally mismanaged their contract negotiations.

Those are flat out untrue rumors. It was reported at the time Matthews wanted more than McDavid over a 8 year deal. He asked for the same cap percentage as some of the other star players and they compromised for less cap over a shorter term. These rumors are nonsense

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage