Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #14: Loser Point Szn

1 avr. 2023 à 19 h 59
More Finns More Wins
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 633
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
Calling all playoff teams!!!

This post is for any fans of teams who will be in the playoffs, or teams who still may get in. Florida, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Calgary. I'm excluding Nashville and anyone else in the east because I don't think they have any real shot of getting in, and if they did, I think they'd be one and done.

I'm going to be doing a playoff preview/prediction post that is equivalent to a novel. I have to wait until matchups are determined before I post.

I would really appreciate feedback for this.

I only want to hear factual things. Don't bother responding and giving comments about teams that you know nothing about or hardly watch and don't truly know their game.

If you have the time or inclination, I would like the three biggest factors for _____ teams success in a series/playoffs. Example- Having an effective powerplay, not letting a game turn into a track meet, locking down star xyz on the opposing team, an individual players role in the series, goaltending, penalties, 5v5 play, coaching, home ice, etc.

I also would like 3 factors that would lead to the downfall of ______ team in a series/the playoffs. For example- taking bad or too many penalties, letting games become too high scoring, playing against a team that is too physical for them to handle, letting star xyz walk all over you and put up great numbers, etc.

It obviously can be something other than I listed. You guys know your own teams better than casual fans. It doesn't have to be 3 of each. It could just be anything you could add and tell me about your team that could give me a deeper understanding of said squad heading in to the playoffs.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and I will tag everyone who helped out in the process.

Thanks for reading.

For Carolina

Biggest factors to success:
Getting offence from forwards other than Aho and Necas. The Canes have a lot of depth, on paper, but it seems like all of it has been slumping. Jarvis isn't going right now, Teravainen isn't playing great, Kotkaniemi has been cold since his 5 point game, the third line has stopped providing a lot of offence. Any of those players/lines start clicking and getting hot to provide another force up front would go a long way to making the team successful. Their defensive core, especially Skjei and Burns, have been a godsend

The Power Play: The Canes' powerplay hasn't been great through the regular season, and this overlaps quite a lot with getting offence from depth forwards. If the powerplay starts clicking at above league average, and they have that potential, especially with the addition of Gostisbehere as a shooting threat

Playing multiple goaltenders. Though unorthodox for the playoffs, where most teams play one goaltender every game, Andersen and Raanta both get worse the more consecutive games they play. If Kochetkov is playing playoff games, he may have the stamina to take an entire series, but the two that they currently have need to rotate to keep them playing well. All three of them have very similar stats, and if anything Kochetkov looks the best out of any of them, but it's not like playing Andersen instead of Raanta brings down their chances of winning like, say, NYR playing not-Shesterkin

Things that will destroy them:
The penalty kill falling apart (like it did last year). Right now the "power kill" is running very, very well. I think Travis Yost recently said that the Canes PK surrenders goals at the same rate as the average NHL team surrenders 5v5 goals. However, if the penalty kill falters through being figured out or through weak goaltending, their biggest strength starts working against them. The Canes take a LOT of penalties due to their aggressive style and their..... reputation around the league, so the PK staying strong is vital. We also saw during the Rangers series that once the team lost confidence in their kill, they started playing a lot more timid and afraid of being called for aggressive play and were on their heels.

Defensive Injuries: The Hurricanes have 14 quality forwards even without Svechnikov and Pacioretty, but if they go past Gostisbehere-Chatfield, their next men up are De Haan and Coghlan, both of whom have been extremely suspect on the defensive side of things all year. Max Lajoie should be the next defenseman up, but he isn't, and even he is a large downgrade from either Chatfield or Gostisbehere.
Steven_Stamkos a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2023 à 20 h 2
Respect Mike Grier
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 2,613

Witnessing greatness
zk97 a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2023 à 20 h 31
Tintin over 1122
Rejoint: mai 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 10,168
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

Witnessing greatness

Strome Hayton Chytil Dowd is my dream team
1 avr. 2023 à 20 h 51
torontos finest
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,211
gonna be surprised if dj smith is behind the ottawa bench next season
1 avr. 2023 à 20 h 58
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,183
Quoting: mondo
gonna be surprised if dj smith is behind the ottawa bench next season

When new ownership comes Dorion and Smith probs out the door and in comes their chosen guys

Rarely do you see new owners keep the current GM or coach unless its a big name guy/s
1 avr. 2023 à 21 h 3
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

Witnessing greatness

Greatness x2
1 avr. 2023 à 21 h 7
Hakuna Matata

Our new secret weapon grin
zk97 a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2023 à 21 h 30
Tintin over 1122
Would Bunting test the fa market?
1 avr. 2023 à 21 h 41
Bedard23
Mentions "j'aime": 4,541
Quoting: capsfan2121
Would Bunting test the fa market?

Not unrealistic but not insanely realistic (in other words 50/50)
1 avr. 2023 à 22 h 4
Hakuna Matata
The fact Sammy is an RFA at the end of his deal makes the signing all the more special

25-9-4 record and 4 shutouts and he aint even close to 30 yet

And people said he would struggle in Toronto. Arguably doing better lul.
1 avr. 2023 à 22 h 6
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Quoting: aadoyle
The fact Sammy is an RFA at the end of his deal makes the signing all the more special

25-9-4 record and 4 shutouts and he aint even close to 30 yet

And people said he would struggle in Toronto. Arguably doing better lul.

Goalies are incredibly random. It will be interesting to see if he can consistently be this good in the coming years
1 avr. 2023 à 22 h 6
Ex Nucks fan
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 17,624
Playoff predictions:

Bolts in 7 with controversial ending leaving Leafs fans to riot
CantStopWontStop a aimé ceci.
1 avr. 2023 à 22 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juiceman
Goalies are incredibly random. It will be interesting to see if he can consistently be this good in the coming years

The surprising thing about him is hes very good at home but on the road not so much. His numbers in the past were also alright with the bad year being his final one in WSH

Honestly they might have fumbled things as in a tougher market hes thriving. Young good goalies are hard to find are were seeing older goalies getting these big fat deals then struggling. I would have gave him 3mill if I was WSH and if he wasnt good trade him then go sign a guy in FA the following year. They just let him walk for nothing.

I have a feeling he will be just fine here. Nothing super flashy but a good goalie overall. Will be exciting to see what he and Woll do next year
1 avr. 2023 à 22 h 35
Rejoint: févr. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 870
The Richard "contenders" list is beyond ridiculous this season. McDavid 60+, Pasta now at 56, Drai at 47, Point gets #48 tonight, Rantanen @48. Pasta could hit 60. The other 3 very possibly could all touch 50. Verhaeghe drops 4 on Columbus to bring him into the 40 club. A few guys knocking on the door for 40. Insane how many guys are just BURYING the biscuit this year.
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
2 avr. 2023 à 0 h 35
I make typos
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,995
Drai has 50, 3 goals tonight
2 avr. 2023 à 0 h 41
I make typos

2 avr. 2023 à 0 h 42
Tintin over 1122
A lot of hat tricks tonight
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
2 avr. 2023 à 0 h 48
I make typos
Quoting: capsfan2121
A lot of hat tricks tonight

there use to be a Hat Trick every like 2 weeks, now it feels like there is one every day almost
capsfan2121 a aimé ceci.
2 avr. 2023 à 0 h 49
I make typos
Campbell has a shutout, not a Aprils fools joke.

Oilers didn't have a shutout all season now they have 2 in a row

also: yay the Oilers clinched
2 avr. 2023 à 1 h 3
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 2 avr. 2023 à 1 h 44
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
The Richard "contenders" list is beyond ridiculous this season. McDavid 60+, Pasta now at 56, Drai at 47, Point gets #48 tonight, Rantanen 48. Pasta could hit 60. The other 3 very possibly could all touch 50. Verhaeghe drops 4 on Columbus to bring him into the 40 club. A few guys knocking on the door for 40. Insane how many guys are just BURYING the biscuit this year.

Its kind of a funny coincidence how Matthews slows down due to some injury goal scoring increases lul

As the amount of 40+ goal scorers doubled or something
2 avr. 2023 à 1 h 48
Hakuna Matata
Honestly watching Zohorna do what he did with the little ice time he got man Sullivan was right about him
2 avr. 2023 à 9 h 2
do not Devil my ass
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,279
Most Overrated: McLeod, Wood
Most Underated: Severson, Bratt, Tatar
Most Overhated: Severson
Glue Guy: Bastian
Best Player: Jack Hughes
Worst Player: Miles Wood
Best Young Player: Mercer (excluding Jack Hughes)
BigBallsBriere, Devil et EsoYeezus69 a aimé ceci.
2 avr. 2023 à 9 h 33
Bedard23
Mentions "j'aime": 4,541
Quoting: oilersguy
Campbell has a shutout, not a Aprils fools joke.

Oilers didn't have a shutout all season now they have 2 in a row

also: yay the Oilers clinched

Campbell with a shutout is the most cursed thing I’ve seen all season
oilersguy a aimé ceci.
2 avr. 2023 à 10 h 9
Respect Mike Grier
Hockey community gotta stop calling 20 and 21 Year olds busts.
CantStopWontStop, Rangsey, A_Habs_fan and 3 others a aimé ceci.
2 avr. 2023 à 12 h 3
SHL NJD GM
Mentions "j'aime": 17,448
The Kings can clinch today, Blues and Nucks can also be eliminated.

In the east, the WC battle is a toss-up between Florida, Pittsburgh and NYI though Buffalo has an outside shot ( has some game at hand over the other teams, if they win those games at hand, Buffalo's still in it )

In the west, Nashville, Calgary and Winnipeg are battling for WC 2, though Seattle if they go on a losing streak could open up WC1 too
zk97, BigBallsBriere, Devil and 2 others a aimé ceci.

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage