Forums/Armchair-GM

Revisiting a Blues trade idea

Créé par: TanSor
Équipe: 2020-21 Wild du Minnesota
Date de création initiale: 18 sept. 2020
Publié: 19 sept. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
With the news that Pietrangelo intends to test free agency, I wanted to revisit an old idea I had a few months back that at the time was contingent on this exact scenario. In the event Pietrangelo does walk, the Blues will have gotten noticeably thinner on the blue line. Parayko and Dunn are fantastic players, but Faulk has been very underwhelming and I think they could really use another top 4 D.

With the Brodin extension, rumors around Dumba are swirling, and he reportedly is available for trade for the right price. Dumba would add that booming right shot from the blue line that I think the Blues were looking for when they acquired Faulk. There has been a lot of misinformation out there that Dumba is this horrible defender, and I want to try to put some of that to rest. Dumba is very, very good against the rush. The way he shuts down plays with his stick and with his body makes it extremely difficult for teams to enter the zone. Dumba's problem last season was that he wasn't scoring goals so he started forcing plays and pinching when he should have made the safe play. This took away Dumba's greatest defensive value of defending against the rush since he didn't place himself in that position. When Dumba is scoring, he doesn't force pinches and is able to shut down rushes effectively, making him a very solid, if not good, defender. Maybe under Berube he would learn that he doesn't need to make the flashy play and pinch, but instead can make the safe play and regain possession in the offensive zone. And of course, he still has his cannon shot, he's an excellent skater, he brings physicality, the character/intangibles, and all of his offensive ability.

As for a return, the Wild have a huge need at center and the Blue are actually pretty deep down the middle. They won the cup with O'Reilly and Schenn as their top 6 centers, and with Schenn's 8 year extension it would seem they have their top 6 centers locked up for a while (I know Schenn can play wing, but they won the cup with him at center so why fix something that isn't broken). I don't think they would move either player which is why someone like Robert Thomas makes a ton of sense for the Wild. He's a young right shot center with great two-way and playmaking ability. I think he'd be perfect between Fiala and Kaprizov. I'm sure the Blues have plans to move Schenn to the wing and have Thomas and O'Reilly become their top 6 C's, but if we assume Pietrangelo is gone then this is more of a luxury than a requirement (did I mention they won the cup with O'Reilly and Schenn as their centers?). He would be a very intriguing trade chip for the Wild if they're willing to give him up. The Blues are still in win-now mode and Dumba helps keep the blue line afloat. I figured the Blues would want another young player coming back, so I added Kunin who scored 11 less points than Thomas last season in 3 less games, he's only a year older, and he's also a Missouri native. I don't think he has the ceiling that Thomas does, but he still projects to be a good NHL player.

Sorry for the novel/wall of text.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
2925 000 $
2925 000 $
21 900 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
32 200 000 $
Transactions
MIN
  1. Bozak, Tyler
  2. Thomas, Robert
Détails additionnels:
Bozak added for cap purposes, could be another player if Blues fans feel he is too valuable.
STL
  1. Dumba, Matt
  2. Kunin, Luke [Droits de RFA]
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de PIT
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
Logo de MIN
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2481 500 000 $71 201 924 $0 $1 350 000 $10 298 076 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Wild du Minnesota
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance925 000 $$925K)
AG
UFA - 1
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
AG, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
1 900 000 $1 900 000 $
AG, C, AD
UFA - 1
Logo de Blues de St-Louis
894 166 $894 166 $ (Bonis de performance425 000 $$425K)
C, AD
UFA - 1
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AD, AG
NMC
UFA - 4
7 538 462 $7 538 462 $
AG
NMC
UFA - 5
1 487 500 $1 487 500 $
C
UFA - 1
2 050 000 $2 050 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
1 900 000 $1 900 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
Logo de Blues de St-Louis
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
C, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
2 875 000 $2 875 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 538 462 $7 538 462 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 5
7 575 000 $7 575 000 $
DD
NMC
UFA - 7
4 166 667 $4 166 667 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 1
2 200 000 $2 200 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 3
785 000 $785 000 $
G
UFA - 2
700 000 $700 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 1
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
G
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
925 000 $925 000 $
C
UFA - 2
1 900 000 $1 900 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 1
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
C
UFA - 2
2 166 667 $2 166 667 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 27
Watches no games
Rejoint: juill. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 977
I think this would make a lot more sense before they signed Faulk. I think he, and his contract, is the Pietrangelo replacement, even though he's clearly not on that level. I also think they're filling a hole on D and creating new ones at C. I can't imagine this makes too much sense for the Blues right now.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 29
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juin 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 7,071
Quoting: MelonVK
I think this would make a lot more sense before they signed Faulk. I think he, and his contract, is the Pietrangelo replacement, even though he's clearly not on that level. I also think they're filling a hole on D and creating new ones at C. I can't imagine this makes too much sense for the Blues right now.

Well like I said, they won the cup with O'Reilly and Schenn at center, so I don't think there's really a hole at center. Kunin can play center as well.

But yeah the Faulk signing looks like a really bad move and maybe it puts a damper on this idea. I still think their blue line needs help if Pietrangelo walks, though.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 35
Rejoint: juin 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 3,931
Interesting. I like what you did.
That aside I see you got some cap space left over and a goalie on scratched list any chance of retaining on him in a deal? I wouldn’t mind giving Dubnyk a chance. My thinking is want a motivated goalie to back up kosk. I feel the way Dubnyk left Edmonton has to leave a sour taste in his mouth plus contract year. Only issue 2-3 million is the budget I’m assuming holland will want to stay in for that role.
TanSor a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 36
Watches no games
Quoting: TanSor
Well like I said, they won the cup with O'Reilly and Schenn at center, so I don't think there's really a hole at center. Kunin can play center as well.

But yeah the Faulk signing looks like a really bad move and maybe it puts a damper on this idea. I still think their blue line needs help if Pietrangelo walks, though.

Yeah, sure. I guess it's only really semantics at this point, but whether C or Forward in general, I think the Blues are improving their defense at an expense. For what it's worth, maybe the ages of Kunin and Dumba make more sense on that Blues team. Maybe Steen would make even more sense than Bozak as a return?
TanSor a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 41
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Timmah007
Interesting. I like what you did.
That aside I see you got some cap space left over and a goalie on scratched list any chance of retaining on him in a deal? I wouldn’t mind giving Dubnyk a chance. My thinking is want a motivated goalie to back up kosk. I feel the way Dubnyk left Edmonton has to leave a sour taste in his mouth plus contract year. Only issue 2-3 million is the budget I’m assuming holland will want to stay in for that role.

Thanks! Definitely, if we can find a trade partner for Dubnyk I think we need to pull the trigger. As a fan I'd even happily retain half of his cap hit.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 43
Thanks! Definitely, if we can find a trade partner for Dubnyk I think we need to pull the trigger. As a fan I'd even happily retain half of his cap hit.

Oilers will secretly pay the full money owing but it’s just the cap hit need taken down a bit. Hehe
TanSor a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 43
Démarrer sujet
Yeah, sure. I guess it's only really semantics at this point, but whether C or Forward in general, I think the Blues are improving their defense at an expense. For what it's worth, maybe the ages of Kunin and Dumba make more sense on that Blues team. Maybe Steen would make even more sense than Bozak as a return?

Steen would be fine with me, as I said in the trade I just used Bozak for cap purposes. Problem with Steen though is he has a full NTC through February 1st 2021, so he'd have to waive to come here.
MelonVK a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 44
Watches no games

I've been thinking about ways to get Dubnyk out, retained and for a low pick, while getting Georgiev in for a higher pick. I was even thinking Georgiev and Staal as a return, but, well, that relationship might be more complicated now.
TanSor a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 50
Démarrer sujet
I've been thinking about ways to get Dubnyk out, retained and for a low pick, while getting Georgiev in for a higher pick. I was even thinking Georgiev and Staal as a return, but, well, that relationship might be more complicated now.

I guess if Guerin isn't convinced Kahkonen is our goalie of the future then trading for Georgiev would make sense. The Rangers apparently were interested in Greenway last year and their coach is a father figure to Greenway, so he could be an option as an add in a Dubnyk trade to New York.
19 sept. 2020 à 9 h 53

Don’t have the picks to really be offering holland kinda blew them during the season however would the rights to AA be of interest? For the player transaction then a low level prospect for a negotiated retention?
19 sept. 2020 à 10 h 4
Watches no games
I guess if Guerin isn't convinced Kahkonen is our goalie of the future then trading for Georgiev would make sense. The Rangers apparently were interested in Greenway last year and their coach is a father figure to Greenway, so he could be an option as an add in a Dubnyk trade to New York.

I believe the thing about NYR is that they sneakily need to shed a lot of salary. I think having Georgiev and Kähkönen is a good solution anyways, as you probably want a tandem for the future, and Georgiev has just enough experience to share starts, but just too little to cost a lot on a multi-year deal. But if taking on a contract like, say Brendan Smith's, could save you assets in a trade like that, I think that's really helpful if the Wild still wants to compete in a year or two
TanSor a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 10 h 7
Watches no games
Quoting: Timmah007
Don’t have the picks to really be offering holland kinda blew them during the season however would the rights to AA be of interest? For the player transaction then a low level prospect for a negotiated retention?

If you're offering anything above a 4th rounder for a retained Dubnyk I think you're overpaying heavily
TanSor a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 10 h 9
Lets Go Blues
Rejoint: juin 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,341
Really doubt the Blues would listen to anything involving thomas, he's on a great trajectory and has been playing center with Schenn moved to the wing. Faulk isnt good but Blues can't keep adding hefty d contracts. Not gonna use Faulk as a 6.5m 3rd pair guy.
19 sept. 2020 à 10 h 9
MNBassman
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,598
How about Faulk instead of Bozak?
19 sept. 2020 à 10 h 12
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: MNBassman

If we can find a way to make it work to be able to re-sign Fiala, Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, and Thomas then I'd be in.

Quoting: A_K
Really doubt the Blues would listen to anything involving thomas, he's on a great trajectory and has been playing center with Schenn moved to the wing. Faulk isnt good but Blues can't keep adding hefty d contracts. Not gonna use Faulk as a 6.5m 3rd pair guy.

↑ Maybe this would solve a lot of problems for the Blues?
MNBassman a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 10 h 21
Démarrer sujet

Just did the math, I think it works but barely. I signed Fiala, Kaprizov, and Thomas to $7M deals (only one who would probably get that much is Fiala), signed Soucy to thie 3 year $2.2M deal, didn't re-sign Foligno, Hartman, or Donato. If you buyout Rask it could also save more money. I guess the only issue is it puts a logjam in front of Addison.
MNBassman a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 10 h 25
MNBassman
Rejoint: mai 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 3,598
Just did the math, I think it works but barely. I signed Fiala, Kaprizov, and Thomas to $7M deals (only one who would probably get that much is Fiala), signed Soucy to thie 3 year $2.2M deal, didn't re-sign Foligno, Hartman, or Donato. If you buyout Rask it could also save more money. I guess the only issue is it puts a logjam in front of Addison.

There are worse problems to have than a logjam of good RHDs...especially if Thomas fits as well you think he might...which I agree with.
TanSor a aimé ceci.
19 sept. 2020 à 13 h 4
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 101
Absolutely zero chance the Blues move Thomas. None.
19 sept. 2020 à 21 h 17
Rejoint: août 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 2,794
There are worse problems to have than a logjam of good RHDs...especially if Thomas fits as well you think he might...which I agree with.

I think the only way the Wild should consider Faulk is if they could guarantee Seattle takes him in the expansion draft. That contract will not age well and is exactly the kind of move Guerin needs to shy away from.
TanSor et MNBassman a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage