Forums/Armchair-GM

Keeping Pietrangelo and letting Gunnarsson go part 2 the 2022ing

Créé par: dp6154
Équipe: 2021-22 Blues de St-Louis
Date de création initiale: 20 juill. 2020
Publié: 20 juill. 2020
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
ok so I misspelled the captain's name in the title of the first one becuase typos are my life, but this is jumping off from here https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/342647?post_id=1563319
Pietrangelo Dunn and DLR are all continuations of the contact form the previous post
as is the first for a 4th to detroit from the Steen trade and the 3rd form the NJD
Jets for a 7th is teh palceholder for taken by Seatlle
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
22 000 000 $
1950 000 $
1750 000 $
23 000 000 $
2850 000 $
2850 000 $
21 250 000 $
23 000 000 $
2950 000 $
1850 000 $
33 500 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
46 000 000 $
79 250 000 $
66 500 000 $
1750 000 $
2900 000 $
Transactions
STL
  1. Choix de 7e ronde en 2022 (WPG)
STL
  1. Choix de 4e ronde en 2021 (DET)
DET
  1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2021 (STL)
STL
  1. Choix de 3e ronde en 2021 (ARI)
NJD
STL
  1. Choix de 3e ronde en 2022 (BOS)
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de CAR
Logo de STL
Logo de ARI
Logo de DET
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de BOS
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de STL
Logo de WPG
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2381 500 000 $72 332 182 $306 349 $425 000 $9 167 818 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Blues de St-Louis
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AG
UFA - 5
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
C, AG
NTC
UFA - 7
3 750 000 $3 750 000 $
AD
NTC
UFA - 2
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 875 000 $1 875 000 $
C
UFA - 2
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
AD
UFA - 2
900 000 $900 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance425 000 $$425K)
AG, AD
RFA - 1
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 2
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 2
900 000 $900 000 $
AG, C
UFA
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 6
9 250 000 $9 250 000 $
DD
UFA - 6
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
G
UFA - 6
3 275 000 $3 275 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
750 000 $750 000 $
G
UFA - 1
1 375 000 $1 375 000 $
DD
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
787 500 $787 500 $
DG
UFA - 1
850 000 $850 000 $
C
UFA - 1
950 000 $950 000 $
C, AG
UFA

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 4
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,764
Quoting: dp6154
If we go that route, I'm sure it goes the same maybe better for the Blues if Krug doesn't take a dirty headshot at Thomas ending his series. At least the Gryz boarding won't be looked at as an admirable highlight moment for years to come because of some cool hair.

Either way, unfortunately there is a terrible "tough guy" culture and "Playoffs are a gauntlet" narrative in the sport and best we can do is celebrate the success of our teams that did happen & work to push those attitudes out of it because nobody should like those dirty hits and most people don't but even the cleanest players are driven to dole them out in the playoffs for glory & self preservation (hit them before they hit you)

thomas was already injured, the hit made it worse... and im sorry but krug goes right through the shoulder. ive watched it a million times ive argued here a million times nobody is changing my mind otherwise. that play doesnt happen if perron is whistled for interference on krug by sitting on him and ripping his helmet off but hey im all for letting em play. bigger the hits the better. i dont care about most head shots alot of people want it out of the game, its a contact sport designed for entertainment and unfortunately violence sells... but the grz hit was eerily similar to the one savard took and those are absolute no - no 's in my book. open ice you at least have a chance. thomas could have avoided contact, and krug stopped skating well before contact. regardless. once that game gets to 2-0 on marchands mess up it was over.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 5
Sicarius
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 214
what value would you move a bottom 6 forward for?

Do you know what the % is of a 3rd round picks have NHL careers??
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 5
Rejoint: févr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,760
did you read the description? That's just a placeholder for the Seattle expansion pick

I did not haha, makes sense now.
Im usually pretty good for doing that...lesson learned
dp6154 a aimé ceci.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 5
Good Opinion Haver
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 939
do what? Look I get on a value for the money level him being maybe the least worth it depending on what he costs, but the dude who has played best on the left of ROR, who has put up 20 and 30 points respectively, being on pace for 30 & 40 points respectively, all while looking the best in the playoffs including looking greet in the SCF & putting up over 50% CF%& xGF% would ahve to be pretty expoensive to be the one not to keep and he just doesn't really cost that much? Why are people so blindly in love with Blais?

I get it, he isn't terrible, his slapper against Bishop in the playoffs was fun, he had a good AHL year and he doesn't look like he's drowning on a top 6 line, but he's a bottom 6 player who makes some hits. Please everyone, get over him, he's an ok player that's really it

You're right, he is an okay player. You know who isn't even that? IVAN BARBASHEV! He's actively bad at the thing everyone says he's good at! You can't look at Blais's metrics and say "well he's just okay why does everyone like him so much" and then actively want to keep Barbashev on the roster for more money.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 17
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
I find myself looking at Walker getting a higher role too Sanford should probably be one to leave tho. He’s inconsistent

I don't know that I ever see Walker being a regular in the lineup but he's clearly good enough to be an NHL player and should be one of our cheap scratches who gets in 30/40 games a year.

Next year is going to be significant because, assuming Schenn gets moved to wing permanently at some point once Thomas nails down a center spot in the Top 6, that second line LW job is going to be a decision between Blais/Sanford/Schwartz. Schwartz is currently the most effective, but costs the most and would have to commit the most term to. Sanford has the talent and found a little consistency this year but also way outperformed his expected goals (that four goal game helped). Blais looked the best and most consistent without being an analytical liability anywhere, but has injury troubles and who knows if he can really elevate there all the time.

Personally I don't want to commit a lot of money to Schwartz. He has had both consistency and injury troubles in very recent memory as well, and he probably prices himself out.

Ideally I think our roster (semi-long term) looks like this:

Schenn-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Blais/Sanford-Thomas-Kyrou
Blais/Sanford- 3C - Kostin
MacEachern-Barbashev-Sundqvist
Walker/DLR/Alexandrov/Poganski pick your poison

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Perunovich/Mikkola - Parayko
Perunovich/Mikkola - 3RHD
Bortuzzo

The key to all of this is moving Faulk though. Sanford/Blais/Schwartz/Walker, whoever you want to talk about- we are using our cap space no more inefficiently than on Faulk (assuming Pietrangelo stays of course). We have ample cap space to keep everyone else if we can move Faulk out somehow.
Shylo_Moxii a aimé ceci.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 19
Démarrer sujet
dp6154
Rejoint: juill. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 46
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
The thing with Barbashev is his advanced stats are really not good. This season, Barbashev's Goals Above Replacement is -5 (despite him scoring 10+ goals). Wins Above Replacement is -1, versus Blais' 0.3 and 0.1 in those categories (basically neutral). He's a lot of fun to watch, he scores some goals, he's physical and fights people and that's all well and good, but it's not translating to effectiveness anywhere other than the PK (and I question how much of that is really him and how much of that is him playing with Sundqvist). His defensive metrics at even strength are abysmal. So this whole thing that he's "really good defensively" I think is a reputation that has been mistakenly developed.

It's true that Blais can't play center like Barbashev can, but I would say he's actually more versatile because he can play higher up in the lineup than Barbashev, who I think can't really elevate above the fourth line. I would also say Blais has gotten better every year he's been in the league. It's also allocation of resources- you're already paying Sundqvist 2.75 million to be a fourth liner, which is kind of a lot even though that's a fine contract. I don't know if we should really tie up more million+ contracts in the fourth line. Blais, at least, would be a third liner in this scenario, and, since he has more upside, perhaps higher.

That's why looking at straight points can be misleading- it's no good to put up a bunch of points if people also are putting up a bunch of points against you (the royal you) because you actively made it easier for them to do that- which is what the metrics tell us about Barabshev. People look past that though because he scores some goals.

The real solution is that if Pietrangelo stays there is absolutely no reason to have Faulk on this roster and we should do everything we can to move him. We have more effective options for him in the top four on both hands, so it's a third pairing defensman being payed 6.5 million and not contributing to special teams and that is a worse use of cap space than any combination of Barbashev/Blais/MacEachern.

oh that's totally fair, I'm looking at expect goal for % relative to linemates. without being relative to linemates you are looking at Barbashe being at 49% xGF and Blais being at 48 xGF% career but Blais being at 50% this year and Barbie being at only 45%, a stark difference (stats per evolving hockey) but if you go relative to teammates (misnomer, because it;'s really relative to line mates in different combos) Blais is -.08GF% relative and Barbashev is .41 relative GF% (admittedly basically on on defense, dude can play D) also on the points it's a primary points difference, while both have the same secondary assists per 60 but those are just noise anyway and both are the same at scoring goals per 60 (this last year, again if you go back farther Barbie has a bigger bump, he actual had a pretty down year this year, likely due to exclusive relegation to the 4th line rather than as people seem to forget, him playing up and down the lines like Blais and Sundqvist in the past) where Barbie gets a huge bump (other than sustaining it through more playing time and putting up better defensive numbers) is primary assists where he puts up almost double the rate of Blais

All of that is 5v5 of course, Barbashev plays more on ST mostly on the kill where the team as a whole does well but a lot of that can be noise

Out of curiousity since WAR is a good concise stat but it can come from different sources with different methodology and I'm curious the breakdown where you get it looking at the evolving hockey and moneypuck breakdowns of possession and primary points (which really is the same any source)
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 26
Démarrer sujet
dp6154
Quoting: hanson493
thomas was already injured, the hit made it worse... and im sorry but krug goes right through the shoulder. ive watched it a million times ive argued here a million times nobody is changing my mind otherwise. that play doesnt happen if perron is whistled for interference on krug by sitting on him and ripping his helmet off but hey im all for letting em play. bigger the hits the better. i dont care about most head shots alot of people want it out of the game, its a contact sport designed for entertainment and unfortunately violence sells... but the grz hit was eerily similar to the one savard took and those are absolute no - no 's in my book. open ice you at least have a chance. thomas could have avoided contact, and krug stopped skating well before contact. regardless. once that game gets to 2-0 on marchands mess up it was over.

I don't disagree with the fact that the play doesn't happen if Perron is correctly whistled for interference but that play did end Thomas's entire playoffs, i didn't bring up the "what ifs" and i don't caree how much you said you watched the play it was aimed at his head and jars his head, if it hits shoulder first because Thomas defends himself (which I don't see that it did when I watch it so I'm not sure how youa re so sure) it had the same intention and effect as a headhunting

so again, it was a good series, I don't think any of us should celebrate our teams violence or think that it's a personal vice of given players and not an unfortunate sportwide culture that has gotten better since the past and nonetheless should still be worked at to end, but we can celebrate what did happen, unless you want me to gather an army of deligitmizers of 2011 from Vancouver. The fact of the matter is teh Blues were the best team form January on, won a cup they deserved, and are finally given the title the franchise has long deserved but never elevated itself to, the fact that Boston was so good and gave us such a run until the end speaks to how good the team (especially Tuukka rask) was/is, but the cup has been awarded and it's time to move one. This isn't exactly Tampa/Calgary game 6 and nobody thinks their team should lose the cup, but the cups are what they are. i'm playing around with the Blues theoretical future, no need for axe grinding in the comments
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 27
Démarrer sujet
dp6154
Quoting: Sicarius
Do you know what the % is of a 3rd round picks have NHL careers??

ok? do you know that Blais' contract isn't free and he means less to the team than say Vince Dunn or Zach Sanford and a 3rd is a good return for a bottom 6 guy? Nobody is trading him for funsies, that's to clear cap space
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 31
mokumboi
Rejoint: avr. 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 11,407
I find myself looking at Walker getting a higher role too Sanford should probably be one to leave tho. He’s inconsistent

Sanford isn't inconsistent, he's a late bloomer. Guy has been just shy of money for the last few months. I'd like to hope he'll continue this trend of blossoming.
dp6154 a aimé ceci.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 32
Good Opinion Haver
Modifié 20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 40
oh that's totally fair, I'm looking at expect goal for % relative to linemates. without being relative to linemates you are looking at Barbashe being at 49% xGF and Blais being at 48 xGF% career but Blais being at 50% this year and Barbie being at only 45%, a stark difference (stats per evolving hockey) but if you go relative to teammates (misnomer, because it;'s really relative to line mates in different combos) Blais is -.08GF% relative and Barbashev is .41 relative GF% (admittedly basically on on defense, dude can play D) also on the points it's a primary points difference, while both have the same secondary assists per 60 but those are just noise anyway and both are the same at scoring goals per 60 (this last year, again if you go back farther Barbie has a bigger bump, he actual had a pretty down year this year, likely due to exclusive relegation to the 4th line rather than as people seem to forget, him playing up and down the lines like Blais and Sundqvist in the past) where Barbie gets a huge bump (other than sustaining it through more playing time and putting up better defensive numbers) is primary assists where he puts up almost double the rate of Blais

All of that is 5v5 of course, Barbashev plays more on ST mostly on the kill where the team as a whole does well but a lot of that can be noise

Out of curiousity since WAR is a good concise stat but it can come from different sources with different methodology and I'm curious the breakdown where you get it looking at the evolving hockey and moneypuck breakdowns of possession and primary points (which really is the same any source)

I use evolving hockey, mostly because their explanations were the easiest for me to understand on how they calculated their stats smile.

I'm a patron (which I highly recommend if you have a few bucks a month- not the easiest sell in a pandemic I'm sure) so not 100% on what is available without that, but here's basically the stuff that's informing my Blais>Barbashev opinion

https://imgur.com/a/Hg1XZ87.

Obviously, not saying Blais is a world-beating talent or anything, but for my money, he has had a better impact this season on both offense and defense than Barbashev (not PK), and he has the ability to play up the lineup that Barbashev doesn't have, AND he's cheaper, at least for 2021-22 season. So, if the choice is between them (and again, I really really would like it to not be because I do think Barbashev brings some useful stuff to the table), then it should be Blais over Barbashev every time. I get that Barbashev is a center and that is valuable but we have a lot of center depth on this team already. (O'Reilly/Schenn/Thomas/Sundqvist/DLR/Bozak for now). If he had the talent to step up and be a 3C, then maybe that would be more valuable to keep over Blais, because that could be a future hole on this team, but so far he hasn't done that.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 35
Démarrer sujet
dp6154
I don't know that I ever see Walker being a regular in the lineup but he's clearly good enough to be an NHL player and should be one of our cheap scratches who gets in 30/40 games a year.

Next year is going to be significant because, assuming Schenn gets moved to wing permanently at some point once Thomas nails down a center spot in the Top 6, that second line LW job is going to be a decision between Blais/Sanford/Schwartz. Schwartz is currently the most effective, but costs the most and would have to commit the most term to. Sanford has the talent and found a little consistency this year but also way outperformed his expected goals (that four goal game helped). Blais looked the best and most consistent without being an analytical liability anywhere, but has injury troubles and who knows if he can really elevate there all the time.

Personally I don't want to commit a lot of money to Schwartz. He has had both consistency and injury troubles in very recent memory as well, and he probably prices himself out.

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Bortuzzo

The key to all of this is moving Faulk though. Sanford/Blais/Schwartz/Walker, whoever you want to talk about- we are using our cap space no more inefficiently than on Faulk (assuming Pietrangelo stays of course). We have ample cap space to keep everyone else if we can move Faulk out somehow.

that's an interesting notion because Schenn is a legit top 6 center and a good one and now he's signed long term. Does he get moved to center at all? Does Thomas settle in to either LW for O'Reilly or 3rd line center when Bozak leaves? Thomas has yet to even being a regular NHL center yet as good as he is, I'm not sure Schenn get's moved off for him. Him taking Schenn's spot at top 6 center that seemed inevitable had a lot to do with Schenn walking

Also I was all on board your analytical skepticism towards Barbashev (though I think playing center and primary points mean more than you think and relative to linemates at least evolving hockey and moneypuck actually have Barbie as better) but Schwartz has long been a possession God & Sanford has very good CF% and xGF% (over 51% on both each of the last 2 years) , let alone points and reputation, why is he even in the same convo as those two for other LW in the top 6? I'd really like to see a source that says Blais has better underlying stats than Schwartz and/or Sanford because I'd be very interested in what the methodology is that arrives there because looking at the components separately I can't find a possible path
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 37
Démarrer sujet
dp6154

Dunn-Pietrangelo
Bortuzzo

also if Faulk goes Perron stays another year, Blais stays and we are just looking at the 7th D, things get easy. That said I think because the contract is a boat anchor people don't appreciate how good Faulk is when he was lined with Pietrangelo and that's fair because that contract sucks already. I'd love to see Seattle take him but I doubt that happens unfortunately and we should get used to appreciating how good he is because he's probably here to stay
hanson493 a aimé ceci.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 41
I don't disagree with the fact that the play doesn't happen if Perron is correctly whistled for interference but that play did end Thomas's entire playoffs, i didn't bring up the "what ifs" and i don't caree how much you said you watched the play it was aimed at his head and jars his head, if it hits shoulder first because Thomas defends himself (which I don't see that it did when I watch it so I'm not sure how youa re so sure) it had the same intention and effect as a headhunting

so again, it was a good series, I don't think any of us should celebrate our teams violence or think that it's a personal vice of given players and not an unfortunate sportwide culture that has gotten better since the past and nonetheless should still be worked at to end, but we can celebrate what did happen, unless you want me to gather an army of deligitmizers of 2011 from Vancouver. The fact of the matter is teh Blues were the best team form January on, won a cup they deserved, and are finally given the title the franchise has long deserved but never elevated itself to, the fact that Boston was so good and gave us such a run until the end speaks to how good the team (especially Tuukka rask) was/is, but the cup has been awarded and it's time to move one. This isn't exactly Tampa/Calgary game 6 and nobody thinks their team should lose the cup, but the cups are what they are. i'm playing around with the Blues theoretical future, no need for axe grinding in the comments

wasnt axe grinding i just commented its a likely different scenario if grz isnt hurt. chara breaking his jaw, and grz going down left us with 1 healthyish left shot dman. tough to defend that physicallity coming constantly when 5-8 torey krug is out there against maroon/RoR etc. It went 7 im going to stay bitter about it like im still bitter about rask letting in 2 softies vs the far superior chicago team in 2013.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 43
Démarrer sujet
dp6154
I use evolving hockey, mostly because their explanations were the easiest for me to understand on how they calculated their stats smile.

I'm a patron (which I highly recommend if you have a few bucks a month- not the easiest sell in a pandemic I'm sure) so not 100% on what is available without that, but here's basically the stuff that's informing my Blais>Barbashev opinion

https://imgur.com/a/Hg1XZ87.

Obviously, not saying Blais is a world-beating talent or anything, but for my money, he has had a better impact this season on both offense and defense than Barbashev (not PK), and he has the ability to play up the lineup that Barbashev doesn't have, AND he's cheaper, at least for 2021-22 season. So, if the choice is between them (and again, I really really would like it to not be because I do think Barbashev brings some useful stuff to the table), then it should be Blais over Barbashev every time. I get that Barbashev is a center and that is valuable but we have a lot of center depth on this team already. (O'Reilly/Schenn/Thomas/Sundqvist/DLR/Bozak for now). If he had the talent to step up and be a 3C, then maybe that would be more valuable to keep over Blais, because that could be a future hole on this team, but so far he hasn't done that.

oh wow, I wonder why their graphs are so different from the tables on https://evolving-hockey.com/?_inputs_&std_sk_range=%22Seasons%22&std_sk_pos=%22All%22&std_sk_str=%225v5%22&std_sk_age1=%2217%22&std_sk_season=%2220192020%22&std_sk_span=%22Regular%22&std_sk_group=%22Team%2C%20Season%22&std_sk_type=%22Rates%22&dir=%22Skater%20Tables%22&std_sk_toi=%2250%22&std_sk_dft_yr=%22All%22&std_sk_age2=%2250%22&std_sk_table=%22Relative%20to%20Teammate%22&std_sk_team=%22All%22&std_sk_adj=%22Score%20%26%20Venue%22&std_sk_info=%22No%22&std_sk_players=%5B%22Ivan%20Barbashev%22%2C%22Sammy%20Blais%22%2C%22Zach%20Sanford%22%2C%22Jaden%20Schwartz%22%5D (you have to add xGF/60 + xGA/60 etc etc). I usually like those visuals too. i may have to buck up on Patreon

Also yeah, Steen has aged VERY gracefully, he just costs a lot and isn't exactly a top 6 guy anymore
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 43
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 2,738
do what? Look I get on a value for the money level him being maybe the least worth it depending on what he costs, but the dude who has played best on the left of ROR, who has put up 20 and 30 points respectively, being on pace for 30 & 40 points respectively, all while looking the best in the playoffs including looking greet in the SCF & putting up over 50% CF%& xGF% would ahve to be pretty expoensive to be the one not to keep and he just doesn't really cost that much? Why are people so blindly in love with Blais?

I get it, he isn't terrible, his slapper against Bishop in the playoffs was fun, he had a good AHL year and he doesn't look like he's drowning on a top 6 line, but he's a bottom 6 player who makes some hits. Please everyone, get over him, he's an ok player that's really it

It’s not the offense I like, his defense is among the best on the team at the moment.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 46
Démarrer sujet
dp6154
It’s not the offense I like, his defense is among the best on the team at the moment.

xCF% and xGF% factor in defense, they are possession stats
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 46
Quoting: mokumboi
Sanford isn't inconsistent, he's a late bloomer. Guy has been just shy of money for the last few months. I'd like to hope he'll continue this trend of blossoming.

Hes been doing the same thing Berglund has, which is show up randomly for some little patches of games then fall off the earth. If he was more consistent production wise he would be a Middle 6 but he’s clearly not up to those numbers and 23 is statistically proven to be a Players Prime, and I believe he just hit 23 so I don’t think he’ll get that much better.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 47

xCA% and xGA% is more relevant to that, but Corsi stats aren’t really that great of a stat anyway because it doesn’t take in quality of shot. RAPM is a way more reliable stat line.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 48

GAR metrics are the best tho.
20 juill. 2020 à 15 h 55
Banni
Rejoint: mai 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,266
everyone wants top tier prospects but team make lots of smaller moves in the meantime to fill needs, Blais fits here. If you want me to find another team who would do Blais for a 3rd that's fine, that's just a good price for him and Boston seemed like a good fit

Where does he fit? show me the lines?
Because ill save you the time and tell you, he doesnt fit

Marhcy - Bergy - Pasta
Debrusk - Krejci - Kase
Bjork - Studnicka - Coyle
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

You wanna sit ritchie? Ok, but then you are playing a perfectly good 3rd liner at 4th line LW
20 juill. 2020 à 16 h 17
Sicarius
Rejoint: nov. 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 214
ok? do you know that Blais' contract isn't free and he means less to the team than say Vince Dunn or Zach Sanford and a 3rd is a good return for a bottom 6 guy? Nobody is trading him for funsies, that's to clear cap space

Blais will make 1.5 million per season. He’s not the person to trade to free up cap space
20 juill. 2020 à 16 h 19
Quoting: Silkysmooth42
Where does he fit? show me the lines?
Because ill save you the time and tell you, he doesnt fit

Marhcy - Bergy - Pasta
Debrusk - Krejci - Kase
Bjork - Studnicka - Coyle
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

You wanna sit ritchie? Ok, but then you are playing a perfectly good 3rd liner at 4th line LW

this post is 21-22. are you expecting krejci to resign here?
20 juill. 2020 à 16 h 23
Good Opinion Haver
Modifié 20 juill. 2020 à 16 h 31
that's an interesting notion because Schenn is a legit top 6 center and a good one and now he's signed long term. Does he get moved to center at all? Does Thomas settle in to either LW for O'Reilly or 3rd line center when Bozak leaves? Thomas has yet to even being a regular NHL center yet as good as he is, I'm not sure Schenn get's moved off for him. Him taking Schenn's spot at top 6 center that seemed inevitable had a lot to do with Schenn walking

Also I was all on board your analytical skepticism towards Barbashev (though I think playing center and primary points mean more than you think and relative to linemates at least evolving hockey and moneypuck actually have Barbie as better) but Schwartz has long been a possession God & Sanford has very good CF% and xGF% (over 51% on both each of the last 2 years) , let alone points and reputation, why is he even in the same convo as those two for other LW in the top 6? I'd really like to see a source that says Blais has better underlying stats than Schwartz and/or Sanford because I'd be very interested in what the methodology is that arrives there because looking at the components separately I can't find a possible path

My reasoning for not committing to Schwartz long term doesn't really have anything to with his metrics, mostly just his injury history and the fact that he will probably want a six/seven/eight year deal for Schenn-esque money and I don't know if we'll have the cap space for that or if it's smart to have so many long term contracts on the books as it really reduces our flexibility. It might just come down to he can get better offers somewhere else. I honestly thought that would happen to Schenn this year. I think it's possible that a Schwartz extension is the best move, especially if Sanford and Blais don't improve in any meaningful way next year.

I have no problem with keeping Sanford over Blais, that was Beast Mode's thing. Sanford clearly has the edge on Blais right now. My thing was that Blais should be kept over Barbashev and we probably shouldn't sign Schwartz long term because that gets us into cap trouble now and locks us in on his decline. I think Blais is a perfectly fine middle six, probably third line winger but he's got the talent to play up and he's younger than Sanford. Sanford is getting to the point that he is what he is, Blais is still relatively young. I think a left side of Schenn-Sanford-Blais is just as good (in the long term) if not better than a left side of Schenn-Schwartz-MacEachern. You get more top heavy on the second line but it's also older and MacEachern really shouldn't be playing up that high.
20 juill. 2020 à 16 h 47
Good Opinion Haver

Forgot about the Schenn stuff.

Thomas will probably be third line center next year, maybe even this year's playoff's too (they've been putting Bozak on the wing in line rushes so far). But, Thomas was our second line center for a good chunk this year too- our top six lines at the pause were

Schwartz-O'Reilly-Schenn
Sanford-Thomas-Perron

Which are dumb lines, imo, but they get they job done. My point is, the "Schenn to the wing" thing is already happening a bit, and I expect it to continue if Thomas keeps improving.

And it makes sense for other reasons. One, Schenn is a nautral scorer, Thomas is not, so you want the scorer playing the wing. Thomas is super young, Schenn is not, so if you develop Thomas as a center, he can play there for the next fifteen years- long after Schenn is retired, which is better for the long term of this team. Thomas is a righty, not a lefty, so if you were moving him to the wing he would probably be a RW- where we have Tarasenko, Kyrou, Perron, and maybe Kostin already. Schenn, meanwhile, is a natural lefty. Schenn has had really good scoring chemistry with O'Reilly dating back to last year and Tarasenko dating back to when he joined the team, so that's a pretty good line (Schenn-O'Reilly-Tarasenko). And, look at that team GAR chart again, Schenn was our leading scorer this year but Thomas actually provided a better GAR than him.

There's a good chance, in the twilight of his career, Schenn moves back to center in that third line role, as he declines. But I bet for the majority of that contract (unless we don't re-sign O'Reilly I guess) he'll be a winger.
20 juill. 2020 à 16 h 53
Good Opinion Haver

Ah, you're looking at the Standard charts. I'm looking at the Gar/xGar charts that is on the tab next to it, that's why they look different.

I tend to like GAR/WAR because it distills everything down to one number- Goals, or Wins - and it takes into account stuff like usage, level of competition, with/without. They have all the math explained on hockey-graphs, kinda dull but I've gone through it a few times. Kind of a moneyball approach, though that's not a perfect comparison. There's a legitimate criticism that that distillation loses things, but I think, based on who their model says is good, it's a good evaluation of value and effectiveness.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage