Forums/Armchair-GM

Serious question

Créé par: blowing_the_zone
Équipe: 2018-19 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 8 févr. 2019
Publié: 8 févr. 2019
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
There is some chatter about offer sheets becoming relevant again this summer. I have a serious question for anyone who might want to chime in... does anyone think that Marner might get an offer sheet of 10M plus at a cost of 4 first round picks? If so, what teams might be in on something like that?
Rachats de contrats
Transactions impliquant une retenue de salaire
Enfoui
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de STL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de DAL
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de EDM
Logo de SJS
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2479 500 000 $80 111 111 $2 550 000 $5 400 000 $-611 111 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
6 250 000 $6 250 000 $
AG, C
NMC
UFA - 2
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 7
10 277 778 $10 277 778 $
AD
UFA - 6
2 250 000 $2 250 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 3
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
5 300 000 $5 300 000 $
AD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance2 850 000 $$3M)
C
UFA - 1
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AD
UFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
AG, C
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
C
UFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $
AD
UFA - 1
787 500 $787 500 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
650 000 $650 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 4
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 6
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
4 050 000 $4 050 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
675 000 $675 000 $
G
UFA - 1
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DG
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance850 000 $$850K)
DD
UFA - 1
863 333 $863 333 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2
675 000 $675 000 $
DD
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 21
LEAFS
Rejoint: oct. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 26
Quoting: Birtle34
I imagine the 2020 labour fight will be over becoming a ufa sooner and relevant offer sheets and younger players getting paid sooner. Hopefully not a long scrap

I honestly can't go through another lockout, I need NHL hockey. tears of joy
blowing_the_zone a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 24
Bandwagon fairweathe
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,294
Quoting: mdeason99

My two least favourite times of year are the nhl all star break and the mlb all star breakand running third is Christmas Day but that is the only day of the year i watch basketball
mdeason99 a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 25
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: mdeason99

I need my jets fix, whatever games on fix, and my jays fix lol
mdeason99 et blowing_the_zone a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 28
Rosey
Rejoint: mars 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 24
Quoting: palhal
Depending on when the offer comes in, the Leafs would have more than 7 days. If the offer came August 1st the Leafs have two months to get totally cap compliant. Sure Kapanen is worth more than 2nd rounder, but do teams really want to pay/overpay for another teams RFAs? They have to deal with their own RFA (at a reasonable cost) and the cap. Do teams (and their owners) want to deal with the Leaf and their financial strength when the Leafs could offer front loaded contracts to RFAs, to low and mid end guys.

The Leaf's aren't the only team that can afford to pay front loaded contracts. While the Leaf's may be the richest franchise (I dont even know if that is true..), there are dozens of others that have the financial wherewithal to do it too.
ChiHawk a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 29
Rejoint: avr. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 9,556
Why do you compare Kucherov playing is Florida (sometimes) compared to Marner's Leaf base. Players don't pay personal tax rates. As I have suggested many times, Blue Jays and Raptors never demand salary premium for tax reasons but somehow it a big issue for the CapFriendly tax experts.

OMG...here you go again not knowing about taxes. YES, players DO PAY PERSONAL INCOME TAX
Rosey a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 32
Formerly Jamiepo
Rejoint: juill. 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 10,700
Quoting: moli92
I dont think a team would give him over 4.1 since they compensation would be too high. The max i would go personally is 4 so the compensation would only be a 2nd rounder.

I wouldnt mind if the Leafs matched an offer at 4M AAV. Half of the reason of putting in an offersheet is to put the Leafs in a tough situation against the cap. Why would other teams pay an extra 100k AAV if they would have to give up a bigger compensation package?

First of all 4m X 5yrs is a fair contract... offer sheets are not typically fair contracts. Leafs match because the compensation is poor. They move someone else for better return and keep kappy.

That is my opinion from the other side. Signing kappy to a 5 year deal sets us up better in the future. This is of course just my opinion. Maybe the leafs are so tight that they can’t match. The offersheet isn’t a tool to sabotage other teams caps... it is a tool to acquire a player who you are willing to pay more than the current team who holds his rights. It’s a tool to help the player and offering team. Not just to **** with the other team.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 34
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: mai 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 1,540
Quoting: Birtle34
My two least favourite times of year are the nhl all star break and the mlb all star breakand running third is Christmas Day but that is the only day of the year i watch basketball

Ah, man. ..don't hate on Christmas...Thats the jolly fatman magic time of the year !
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 34
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: ChiHawk
OMG...here you go again not knowing about taxes. YES, players DO PAY PERSONAL INCOME TAX

Some do, not all. Players with endorsements incorporate.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 35
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Ah, man. ..don't hate on Christmas...Thats the jolly fatman magic time of the year !

Fair enough just hating on sports breaks in the year.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 45
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
Why do you compare Kucherov playing is Florida (sometimes) compared to Marner's Leaf base. Players don't pay personal tax rates. As I have suggested many times, Blue Jays and Raptors never demand salary premium for tax reasons but somehow it a big issue for the CapFriendly tax experts.

im no tax expert, but a player in FLA will take home more $$$ than a player in TOR with identical contracts

ChiHawk a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 45
Quoting: Jamiepo
Some do, not all. Players with endorsements incorporate.

All players do pay income tax period. Endorsement income can be treated differently, salary income can not.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 49
Rejoint: août 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 6,060
First of all 4m X 5yrs is a fair contract... offer sheets are not typically fair contracts. Leafs match because the compensation is poor. They move someone else for better return and keep kappy.

That is my opinion from the other side. Signing kappy to a 5 year deal sets us up better in the future. This is of course just my opinion. Maybe the leafs are so tight that they can’t match. The offersheet isn’t a tool to sabotage other teams caps... it is a tool to acquire a player who you are willing to pay more than the current team who holds his rights. It’s a tool to help the player and offering team. Not just to **** with the other team.

Offer sheets can be used however a team wants to use them. I would be happy with paying Kapanen 4x5 and it just so happens it ****s with the leafs at the same time.
8 févr. 2019 à 19 h 54
Formerly Jamiepo
All players do pay income tax period. Endorsement income can be treated differently, salary income can not.

Actually it can be incorporated with endorsements. I don’t file taxes for any nhl stars so I can’t tell you exactly how they file... but to think they don’t find loopholes and just walk into H&R block to get their taxes done seems a bit simplistic.

I also find it funny that it’s always Florida we hear about and never any of the other states with no tax and an nhl team.

I think the reality is that there are reasons to sign in a state where you would pay less tax and reasons to sign in a place like New York and Toronto.
8 févr. 2019 à 20 h 3
Démarrer sujet
Actually it can be incorporated with endorsements. I don’t file taxes for any nhl stars so I can’t tell you exactly how they file... but to think they don’t find loopholes and just walk into H&R block to get their taxes done seems a bit simplistic.

I also find it funny that it’s always Florida we hear about and never any of the other states with no tax and an nhl team.

I think the reality is that there are reasons to sign in a state where you would pay less tax and reasons to sign in a place like New York and Toronto.

Absolutely. And there are reasons that the Matthews contract was structured the way it was, and that he leveraged his Arizona residency so that he pays very little in taxes on his contract. There is more to it than the currently accepted debate on state/provincial tax rates. What that is, I don't know. I dont even like dealing with my own taxes... but I don't think tax jurisdictions and their rates are the massive advantage/disadvantage that the MSM hypes them up to be
8 févr. 2019 à 20 h 3
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: moli92
Offer sheets can be used however a team wants to use them. I would be happy with paying Kapanen 4x5 and it just so happens it ****s with the leafs at the same time.

If we have to give up kappy it certainly would, not great value but meh... saves us a couple of million. If we have to pay a bit more and get longer term and match meh that works too.

I think the Avs should focus on Rantanen personally.
UpsideDownQue a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 20 h 4

There is no conspiracy theories behind how NHL players report their salaries on taxes. They are individual (not corporations) employees of the NHL teams and are paid directly with a W2 in which personal income tax is automatically deducted just like you or I or any normal person. That income can not be incorporated. That salary income is also taxed by every place in which they play games so all NHL players have personal income tax withheld in every state they play prorated against their salary based on number of games played there. Players who's home teams are in 0% income tax states (Florida, Texas, as an example) play half their games in those 0% income tax states and have a huge leg up on other players who don't in terms of actual after tax take home pay on their salaries.

This is not rocket science, there is no smoking mirrors or conspiracies. This holds true to any professional athlete that a league governs the teams that the teams are required to hire players as employees as is the case in the NHL.

Other income generated outside of their contracted salaries is a different story and corporations can be setup and the income from that falling under a corporate tax rules and loopholes. Just keep in mind, only 7 players in the NHL make over a $1M a year in endorsements and only 12 players in the NHL make more then $250K a year in endorsements. It's not the income most fans think.
Juice a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 20 h 6
Absolutely. And there are reasons that the Matthews contract was structured the way it was, and that he leveraged his Arizona residency so that he pays very little in taxes on his contract. There is more to it than the currently accepted debate on state/provincial tax rates. What that is, I don't know. I dont even like dealing with my own taxes... but I don't think tax jurisdictions and their rates are the massive advantage/disadvantage that the MSM hypes them up to be

The reason his contract was setup this way in Canada is Canadians are taxed much less on bonus income versus salary income; that is unique to Canada versus the US. Matthews is using his residency in Arizona for other tax avoidance reasons due to income (endorsements, appearances, etc.) but has nothing to do with his salary income that is strictly taxed based on the places you actually play games at.
8 févr. 2019 à 20 h 8
Formerly Jamiepo
There is no conspiracy theories behind how NHL players report their salaries on taxes. They are individual (not corporations) employees of the NHL teams and are paid directly with a W2 in which personal income tax is automatically deducted just like you or I or any normal person. That income can not be incorporated. That salary income is also taxed by every place in which they play games so all NHL players have personal income tax withheld in every state they play prorated against their salary based on number of games played there. Players who's home teams are in 0% income tax states (Florida, Texas, as an example) play half their games in those 0% income tax states and have a huge leg up on other players who don't in terms of actual after tax take home pay on their salaries.

This is not rocket science, there is no smoking mirrors or conspiracies. This holds true to any professional athlete that a league governs the teams that the teams are required to hire players as employees as is the case in the NHL.

Other income generated outside of their contracted salaries is a different story and corporations can be setup and the income from that falling under a corporate tax rules and loopholes. Just keep in mind, only 7 players in the NHL make over a $1M a year in endorsements and only 12 players in the NHL make more then $250K a year in endorsements. It's not the income most fans think.

Marner, mathews and Tavares are 3 of those players making over 1m so you might want to check that stat.
8 févr. 2019 à 20 h 14
Démarrer sujet
The reason his contract was setup this way in Canada is Canadians are taxed much less on bonus versus salary monies. Matthews is using his residency in Arizona for other tax avoidance reasons due to income (endorsements, appearances, etc.) but has nothing to do with his salary income that is strictly taxed based on the places you actually play games at.

Yeah, that's my point, I guess. Something like 90% + of his contract is in signing bonuses. He's taxed at the full canadian/ontario rates on less than 10% of the contract value. So, my point is that Matthews and leafs were able to find away around the tax disadvantage in Torinto. I'm sure there are alot of ways around it.. but I won't debate ya on it, Chihawk cause I know when I'm out gunned... geez, man... i told ya I don't even like dealing with my own taxes, let alone cross border tax legislation..wink
8 févr. 2019 à 20 h 38
Marner, mathews and Tavares are 3 of those players making over 1m so you might want to check that stat.

Mitch Marner was not at the beginning of the season I know that for sure. Whether he is now I don't know. There were only 7 players at the beginning of the season making 7 figures or more on endorsements. Like I said, big endorsement deals in the NHL are pretty rare.
8 févr. 2019 à 21 h 24
Yeah, that's my point, I guess. Something like 90% + of his contract is in signing bonuses. He's taxed at the full canadian/ontario rates on less than 10% of the contract value. So, my point is that Matthews and leafs were able to find away around the tax disadvantage in Torinto. I'm sure there are alot of ways around it.. but I won't debate ya on it, Chihawk cause I know when I'm out gunned... geez, man... i told ya I don't even like dealing with my own taxes, let alone cross border tax legislation..wink

Yes, bonuses are only taxed at 15% in Canada however that is federal if I'm not mistaken and Provincial income tax rates still apply. The Canadian government has been zeroing in on players and teams that take advantage of it beyond one third of the total contract value but not a concern with Matthews due to US citizenship however, Matthews will still pay 100% of his income on the bonuses against US taxes.

That being said the major reason for bonuses being so high is this...because of the current CBA rules, contracts that are heavily weighted with bonuses versus salary guarantee the player the bonus money regardless of whether they play or not, if there is a holdout as an example, and furthermore, these contracts basically become buyout proof for the player. The new CBA hits next year and if there is a holdout, these bonuses get paid. For the team, these bonus contracts can make the contract easier to trade also, "hey we already paid the $10M bonus so if we trade him you only owe the salary" type of advantage. That all said, players get paid in July on their bonuses in one lump sum which is yet another advantage.

Back to Matthews; Matthews overall from a tax perspective claims the US and Arizona (relatively low flat income tax rate) as his residency and maintains his US citizenship. The tax treaty for athletes between Canada and the US allow US born players to avoid canadian taxes if they maintain a residency and "reside there" 6 months or more during the year and vice versa. In Matthews case, my bet is he makes sure to go back to the US every chance he can get to show 6 months in the US to avoid Canadian federal and Provincinal taxes as again. Because of the treaty and as a US citizen, he pretty much can avoid Revenue Canada.
8 févr. 2019 à 21 h 32
Démarrer sujet
Yes, bonuses are only taxed at 15% in Canada however that is federal if I'm not mistaken and Provincial income tax rates still apply. The Canadian government has been zeroing in on players and teams that take advantage of it beyond one third of the total contract value but not a concern with Matthews due to US citizenship however, Matthews will still pay 100% of his income on the bonuses against US taxes.

That being said the major reason for bonuses being so high is this...because of the current CBA rules, contracts that are heavily weighted with bonuses versus salary guarantee the player the bonus money regardless of whether they play or not, if there is a holdout as an example, and furthermore, these contracts basically become buyout proof for the player. The new CBA hits next year and if there is a holdout, these bonuses get paid. For the team, these bonus contracts can make the contract easier to trade also, "hey we already paid the $10M bonus so if we trade him you only owe the salary" type of advantage. That all said, players get paid in July on their bonuses in one lump sum which is yet another advantage.

Back to Matthews; Matthews overall from a tax perspective claims the US and Arizona (relatively low flat income tax rate) as his residency and maintains his US citizenship. The tax treaty for athletes between Canada and the US allow US born players to avoid canadian taxes if they maintain a residency and "reside there" 6 months or more during the year and vice versa. In Matthews case, my bet is he makes sure to go back to the US every chance he can get to show 6 months in the US to avoid Canadian federal and Provincinal taxes as again. Because of the treaty and as a US citizen, he pretty much can avoid Revenue Canada.

Man, you're killing me!

Also, its almost tax time in Canada. And I can't avoid the CRA.. as far as I know? Do you do any tax work for small business owners?
8 févr. 2019 à 21 h 40
Man, you're killing me!

Also, its almost tax time in Canada. And I can't avoid the CRA.. as far as I know? Do you do any tax work for small business owners?

LOL! Negative, I'm not a tax guy but familiar with it as a money manager.
8 févr. 2019 à 21 h 45
Démarrer sujet
LOL! Negative, I'm not a tax guy but familiar with it as a money manager.

K. Good to know. When i get some if that, we'll be in touch
ChiHawk a aimé ceci.
8 févr. 2019 à 21 h 48
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Rejoint: juill. 2015
Mentions "j'aime": 22,928

This coming from a guy who insisted that Arizona would be happy to give the Hawks a first round pick so they could get Hossa's LTIR contract.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage