SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

3 mai à 16 h 18
Goodbye everyone
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,295
Quoting: RipNasty
Bandaid? Seriously strange. Had you had your way, we wouldn't have won game 5 because Sammy would have allowed 3 goals and we would have lost 3-2. Give Woll his credit due sir. You are not showing well in this argument.

Yup, I didn’t really care as far as Woll vs Sammy goes going into the series or for the first few games. But after games 5 and 6 we can confidently say Woll is better. Yes there are still issues but we need to give credit to Woll for stepping up and playing amazing over these past few games. This series absolutely would not have gone to 7 with Sammy in net ( @aadoyle )
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
3 mai à 17 h 20
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,419
Modifié 3 mai à 17 h 49
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yup, I didn’t really care as far as Woll vs Sammy goes going into the series or for the first few games. But after games 5 and 6 we can confidently say Woll is better. Yes there are still issues but we need to give credit to Woll for stepping up and playing amazing over these past few games. This series absolutely would not have gone to 7 with Sammy in net ( aadoyle )

Oh it would remember we dealt with playoff Anderson and it was arguably worse

Goals allowed (2018 series)

Game 1 5 goals
Game 2 7 goals
Game 3 2 goals W
Game 4 3 goals
Game 5 3 goals W
Game 6 1 goal W
Game 7 6 goals

Its in their DNA.

We all should remember of the 4 meeting's we have had in the playoffs against BOS since 2013 BOS has had a 3-1 lead on TOR twice on us (2013,2018) both lead to game 7's. Even before the series started we all jokingly said 6 or 7. While it looked over after game 4, Matthews being out woke em up and Woll has helped bandaid the cut but still team has major issues scoring and PP wise and while they have avoided it game 5 and 6 hopefully it dont catch them for game 7

Need that PP to start going and hopefully we can bat more than 2 goals passed Swayman as idk if this currently formula we doing 5 and 6 will work for 7
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 mai à 17 h 47
Hakuna Matata
What I find funny on TOR special team problems and people going for Boucher

In Feb PP was 51.9% 14 PP goals

Teams scored on PP

And notice that there was only 2 weak team in the mix they scored on

NYI, DAL, PHI, ANA, COL, ARI

Goal scorers

Tavares 2
Nylander 3
Matthews 5
McMann 1
Bertuzzi 3

In March for whatever reason it just took a dip and never recovered

Team is 1/20 on the PP vs. BOS or 5%
3 mai à 17 h 49
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,264
Quoting: aadoyle
No they like looked like this when they beat TBL they just were scoring more and special teams were better. Could have used those guys game 1-4 as we be off to FLA rn as while it may have still gone to 7 who knows may have been able to slay them earlier

If TBL leafs show up they would win game 7 easily as that team scored a tonne. This version is more physical but their offense is lacking and idk how long they can go on like this as while the bandaid has held for 2 games this PP and scoring really needs to show up for game 7

But yea the TBL leafs were still the best iteration of this team so far.

They did not look like this vs anyone. This is a complete new style of play. Everyone getting in front of shots and swarming the opposition is not anything we have seen and it's what you have to do to win. Willy laying the body? Never seen it before.

This team is never again going to lay down and die.
3 mai à 17 h 56
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 mai à 18 h 18
They did not look like this vs anyone. This is a complete new style of play. Everyone getting in front of shots and swarming the opposition is not anything we have seen and it's what you have to do to win. Willy laying the body? Never seen it before.

This team is never again going to lay down and die.

Did you not watch the TBL series. TOR matched that style of play TBL loved only difference was TOR was way better scoring wise and special teams wise.

Game 4 especially TOR embarrassed them in OT in which they allowed a GW goal to be scored by Kerfoot of all players.

While I will say TOR is playing a more physical style its coming at the expense of scoring in bunches or having a thriving PP idk how long thats gonna benefit us. If they can combine the two and play this way but score 3+ goals were set. As while they will never give up like we saw in the MTL series there still be work to do. The bandaid is holding but this PP and scoring needs to improve not for not only game 7 success but R2 and beyond
3 mai à 18 h 3
Goodbye everyone

Game 1 5 goals
Game 2 7 goals
Game 3 2 goals W
Game 4 3 goals
Game 5 3 goals W
Game 6 1 goal W
Game 7 6 goals

Its in their DNA.

We all should remember of the 4 meeting's we have had in the playoffs against BOS since 2013 BOS has had a 3-1 lead on TOR twice on us (2013,2018) both lead to game 7's. Even before the series started we all jokingly said 6 or 7. While it looked over after game 4, Matthews being out woke em up and Woll has helped bandaid the cut but still team has major issues scoring and PP wise and while they have avoided it game 5 and 6 hopefully it dont catch them for game 7

Need that PP to start going and hopefully we can bat more than 2 goals passed Swayman as idk if this currently formula we doing 5 and 6 will work for 7

I don’t disagree with most of what you said but it doesn’t change the fact that Woll saved this team for games 5 and 6, Sammy was doing ok but Woll has been excellent thus far
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
3 mai à 18 h 7
Hakuna Matata
I don’t disagree with most of what you said but it doesn’t change the fact that Woll saved this team for games 5 and 6, Sammy was doing ok but Woll has been excellent thus far

I argue him coming in but also Matthews sitting out and forcing everyone to step up is what saved them

As man idk if Matthews was playing 5 or 6 would we have won (probably but who knows). As they looked so out of it till he didnt come out end of game 4

Marner scored like some crazy 2K goal lul and then in 5 and 6 leafs played their best hockey no questions asked with Domi stepping up in the 1C role, Knies looking like an animal, and Willy finally showing up, etc

While I dont want to see him sit out long his absence has almost rejuvenated them

Hopefully game 7 they can get that PP and Scoring sorted lul
3 mai à 18 h 28
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 mai à 18 h 41
If Tor can combine what we saw in the TBL series with the physical style of this series

They will go far this playoffs and can even win a cup

As you would have a team who could play a physical style, get by defensively, have good special teams, adequate goaltending, and score in bunches

Were so close you can just taste it lul.
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
3 mai à 18 h 43
Rip

Game 1 5 goals
Game 2 7 goals
Game 3 2 goals W
Game 4 3 goals
Game 5 3 goals W
Game 6 1 goal W
Game 7 6 goals

Its in their DNA.

These are very different teams. Using past seasons as a marker doesn't always work. Sammy in net would have ended the season early. He never should have started let alone lasting 4 games. It was predictable and Woll is giving us a chance to rewrite our destiny.
3 mai à 18 h 47
Rip
What I find funny on TOR special team problems and people going for Boucher

In Feb PP was 51.9% 14 PP goals

Teams scored on PP

And notice that there was only 2 weak team in the mix they scored on

NYI, DAL, PHI, ANA, COL, ARI

Goal scorers

Tavares 2
Nylander 3
Matthews 5
McMann 1
Bertuzzi 3

In March for whatever reason it just took a dip and never recovered

Team is 1/20 on the PP vs. BOS or 5%

If that turns, look out. Especially now that we have a goalie who can stop the puck.
3 mai à 18 h 48
Rip
I argue him coming in but also Matthews sitting out and forcing everyone to step up is what saved them

As man idk if Matthews was playing 5 or 6 would we have won (probably but who knows). As they looked so out of it till he didnt come out end of game 4

Marner scored like some crazy 2K goal lul and then in 5 and 6 leafs played their best hockey no questions asked with Domi stepping up in the 1C role, Knies looking like an animal, and Willy finally showing up, etc

While I dont want to see him sit out long his absence has almost rejuvenated them

Just making up every and any reason to make it not Sammy's fault is so strange. Dude, it's over, Sammy is not a good goalie. Woll is and that change saved the season. End of story.
3 mai à 18 h 49
Hakuna Matata
If that turns, look out. Especially now that we have a goalie who can stop the puck.

I mean in game 7 vs. TBL 2022 we lost 2-1

Anything can happen at this point

We have seen it all lul

A low scoring game 7 loss and a high scoring game 7 loss
3 mai à 18 h 50
Rip
If Tor can combine what we saw in the TBL series with the physical style of this series

They will go far this playoffs and can even win a cup

As you would have a team who could play a physical style, get by defensively, have good special teams, adequate goaltending, and score in bunches

Were so close you can just taste it lul.

The special teams will hopefully turn. That will help make things a little more comfortable but this defensive attention and physical play is new. This team will go through a wall to win now. Marner needs to get comfortable, but beyond that this team is so different than anything we have seen. It's finally what we need to see.
3 mai à 18 h 52
Rip
I mean in game 7 vs. TBL 2022 we lost 2-1

Anything can happen at this point

We have seen it all lul

A low scoring game 7 loss and a high scoring game 7 loss

I don't care about the past. Let Boston worry about that, I want to see TO win. And the way the team is playing now is nothing I have seen from this team before. They are taking away the slot, you want a good chance? It's going to hurt to get in that area. I love it
3 mai à 18 h 52
Hakuna Matata
Just making up every and any reason to make it not Sammy's fault is so strange. Dude, it's over, Sammy is not a good goalie. Woll is and that change saved the season. End of story.

How many times me and Random got to tell yah how many goals he owed the team that series if you need it again total goals owed was 2 thats really nothing

Meanwhile TOR PP is 1/20 or 5% how many goals you think it owes us

And then this team still has trouble scoring 5 on 5. 2 goals with all this firepower = not good.

As Random put it Woll's a bandaid patching the leak of bad special teams and trouble scoring 5 on 5 but until special teams can at least AVG out its only a matter of time before the leak comes back could be game 7 or in R2 vs. FLA

Its a wait and see but the troubles at the start were far from a goaltending thing. It was a factor but not in the top 5.
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
3 mai à 18 h 57
Hakuna Matata
The special teams will hopefully turn. That will help make things a little more comfortable but this defensive attention and physical play is new. This team will go through a wall to win now. Marner needs to get comfortable, but beyond that this team is so different than anything we have seen. It's finally what we need to see.

Idk after watching them they just seem to be getting worse. Well more so PP but you get it

That 4min PP especially was just a highlight of how bad it was

We spend 2mins trying to enter the zone I think will need to rewatch it.

It really needs to wake up game 7 otherwise idk. Cause we caught BOS off guard game 5 and 6 I think were in for the fight for our lives game 7

Also will need to find that scoring magic we once had as man with all this firepower TOR should not be only scoring up to 2 goals in 12 of its last 13 playoff games.
3 mai à 18 h 58
Rip
How many times me and Random got to tell yah how many goals he owed the team that series lul. 2 thats it thats nothing lul.

Meanwhile TOR PP is 1/20 or 5% how many goals you think it owes us

As Random put it Woll's a bandaid patching the leak game 5 and 6 but until special teams can at least AVG out its only a matter of time before the leak comes back

Heck may even happen game 7 we dont know. Its a wait and see

Random isn't even supporting you on this anymore. The actual real reality of the situation is Sammy isn't good enough. Never was and shouldn't have started. It's legit stupid that he did. Go and watch that whole clip from Kyper and Bourne. They are actual hockey people, unlike Dangle. Valincourt lays it all out.

Sammy had a terrible season, from begining to end. Apart from a very short timeframe when he came back from exile he was below average. Beating Anaheim and San Jose and other mediocre teams or winning despite getting 3-4 goals against was his entire season.

Pointing to another fan and their opinion for credibility on your opinion is absolutely ridiculous
3 mai à 19 h 0
Rip
Idk after watching them they just seem to be getting worse

That 4min PP especially was just a highlight of how bad it was

We spend 2mins trying to enter the zone I think will need to rewatch it.

It really needs to wake up game 7 otherwise idk. Cause we caught BOS off guard game 5 and 6 I think were in for the fight for our lives game 7

All it will take is one broken play lucky bounce and they may completely relax and get back to being good. They should have Knies and Bertuzzi on the top unit with Matthews, Willy and Rielly though load up on some net front. Move the puck fast and get it to the front.
3 mai à 19 h 1
Hakuna Matata
Apparently Ehlers might be available for trade next season

This is someone to target if team still wants change
3 mai à 19 h 34
Goodbye everyone

Nah it was because we finally had a good goalie in net. The offense wasn’t better than before, it was because we kept pucks out of the net, in large part due to Woll
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
3 mai à 19 h 44
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 mai à 19 h 59
Nah it was because we finally had a good goalie in net. The offense wasn’t better than before, it was because we kept pucks out of the net, in large part due to Woll

MMM no

Like lets look at it like this lets say we swap the goalies but Leafs play like they did games 1,3 and 4 I dont know if even Woll would save them from the issues we were witnessing. As they looked so out of it and didnt even look like they were trying till final period of game 4.

What sparked them trying.... Matthews not coming out in the third. And since then everyone stepped up big in the absence from Nylander to Holmberg and some have really stepped up their games like Knies, Domi, Marner, and Willy to name a few. We saw it in game 5 and they carried it over to game 6 and you can see its getting to BOS with their big boyz just looking stunned and frustrated especially Marchand. As they cant handle this new TOR form of TOR and seem to have been caught with their pants down when facing Woll.

PP still sucks though but this teams current play and Woll patching things for now has helped them at least force a 7.

Lets see but they cant go back to game 1,3 or 4 play need to play like 5 or 6 with or without Matthews otherwise things could get ugly and history just repeats itself again lul
3 mai à 20 h 1
Goodbye everyone
MMM no

Like lets look at it like this lets say we swap the goalies but Leafs play like they did games 1,3 and 4 I dont know if even Woll would save them from the issues we were witnessing. As they looked so out of it and didnt even look like they were trying till final period of game 4.

What sparked them trying.... Matthews not coming out in the third. And since then everyone stepped up big in the absence from Nylander to Holmberg and some have really stepped up their games like Knies, Domi, Marner, and Willy to name a few. We saw it in game 5 and they carried it over to game 6 and you can see its getting to BOS with their big boyz just looking stunned and frustrated especially Marchand. As they cant handle this new TOR form of TOR and seem to have been caught with their pants down when facing Woll.

PP still sucks though but this teams current play and Woll patching things for now has helped them at least force a 7.

Lets see but they cant go back to game 1,3 or 4 play need to play like 5 or 6 with or without Matthews otherwise things could get ugly and history just repeats itself again lul

Well no but you can’t win while only scoring one goal lol, Woll can’t do everything
3 mai à 20 h 6
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 3 mai à 20 h 26
Well no but you can’t win while only scoring one goal lol, Woll can’t do everything

Well you kind of can but for this team its tricky to win via a 1-0 game

They only did it once this season vs. WPG

What a game lul

But yea the team deciding to step up when Matthews went down saved them. As man you can just see it they are dictating the play 5 on 5 and with Woll helping out here and there BOS has been caught with its pants down.

Like game 5 and 6 we have witness something not seen game 1-4

Starting on time and matching BOS tenacity. That was what this team needed and they have embarrassed BOS so gar these past 2 to where BOS had a combined 3 shots in the first period

Now if they can get their PP sorted and maybe try and get a few more goals 5 on 5 perfect
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
3 mai à 20 h 43
Hakuna Matata
Apparently Ehlers might be available for trade next season

This is someone to target if team still wants change

That said unless you move Marner to make the money work on top of other moves or somehow get WPG to retain 50% investing in a pending UFA may not be worth it
3 mai à 21 h 29
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,690
Quoting: Random2152
Since we're yapping about this again. Woll is only covering up the issues with this team. We still can't score and special teams are still bad.

If he drops off in any way it's over. He isnt the solution, hes the bandaid. Precarious way to live

Pretty much. What some of us are also failing to realize is how the team has played in front of Woll vs how they have played in front of Sammy. Less mistakes in the last 2 games makes things easier for the goalie.
aadoyle et Random2152 a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage