SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

26 avr. à 23 h 16
Hakuna Matata
Rejoint: févr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 21,098
Watching Hyman in these playoffs score more than the big boyz just have to look at Dubas and go you just could not give him trade protection could yah

Even if it potentially could have aged bad it was a worth it gamble especially now lul

3 GP 5 goals and an assist thats more than the big 3 combined lul
26 avr. à 23 h 24
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,152
Quoting: aadoyle
How is that not hard to understand 2 goals a game total is not good to be scoring when you have 4 guys making almost 50m

TOR having a 9% or 1/11 PP on top of only scoring 2 goals a game 9 of their last 10 playoffs is also bad lul

But if you really need to short answer YES TOR goals for a playoff game 9 of their last 10 games has not been good enough.

When this team is built on high powered offense with 4 guys at almost 50m and fails to deliver dont matter whose in net we go no where.

If you cant figure that out especially with the money being thrown to these big players I dont know what else to say as we cant keep making excuses when they are making the big bucks and in big moments do not consistently deliver

Will end with this and be done as its getting silly if they do not get their act together and put on a better show and give us more than 2 or 3 goals major change better happen this offseason and not just the HC or assistants but the core

Is 3 goals against per game acceptable? Would any team allow 3 goals a game and think that's fine?
26 avr. à 23 h 28
Rip
Watching Hyman in these playoffs score more than the big boyz just have to look at Dubas and go you just could not give him trade protection could yah

Even if it potentially could have aged bad it was a worth it gamble especially now lul

He didn't score much when he was on the leafs in the playoffs. This team needs to figure it out with what they have. Hopefully they do but going off about coulda woulda shoulda is irrelevant. Bertuzzi is supposed to be a playoff difference maker and he's been as bad as he has been good. He scored a goal but cost us one against in the same game.

Who's to say Hyman would be any better. The current team needs to score more and allow less. I lineup changes should be done Sammy for sure and I am not fond of Brodie entering the series. Willy being back is huge. But 3 goals against is coming. This is what we know. If it's not the next game it's the one after
26 avr. à 23 h 58
Hakuna Matata

Can apply the same to Moore and **** but yea Hyman's the big one that got away
27 avr. à 0 h 5
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,648
Quoting: CameronSquires
Should Woll start tomorrow night?

Should there be any roster changes?

Will Willy be back?

Will the leafs win?

I think it's time to see what Woll can do.

I hope Willy is back but at the same time I'm not sure what everyone is expecting out of him considering he's not at game speed coming into the game.
CameronSquires a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 1 h 34
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 27 avr. à 1 h 52
Quoting: RipNasty
Is 3 goals against per game acceptable? Would any team allow 3 goals a game and think that's fine?

Game 2 he didnt allow 3 and again in game 3 if this team converted 2 of 5 of those PP's they would win lul

Cant be going oh if Sammy does not allow 3 what if he allows 2 and this team struggles to score 2 goals or gets 2 but cant score the 3rd then what? This team 9 of 10 has only scored 2 goals we gonna hope they bring back ties

Again goaltending is the least of our concerns this series. Big 4 barely showing up, not being able to score more then 2 goals consistently despite the forward investment, and our special teams being ice cold are the real problems here

If the big boyz were performing, special teams were good, we were scoring 3-4 a game but still down 2-1 to BOS then yes I would say goaltending's the issue but rn there are bigger things in play

What team is winning a series with a 9% PP and a 50% PK

No wonder your allowing 3 goals if your opponent scores on almost every PP it gets

In the end it dont matter whose in net if this team struggles to score more than 2 goals lul
oneX a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 1 h 45
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,237

The heck are you talking about lol, since when is 3 goals against completely unacceptable? It’s not stellar but it’s more or less average. When you have a team built on its offence 3 goals against is fine and you should be able to score 4 goals for the win.

By the way I agree if Sammy has not been great, he had a horrible game one. But his games 2 and 3 have been fine and good enough for us to be winning games. We just need to be scoring more, especially on the PP
aadoyle a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 1 h 51
Game 2 he didnt allow 3 and again in game 3 if this team converted 2 of 5 of those PP's they would win lul

Cant be going oh if Sammy does not allow 3 what if he allows 2 then what? This team 9 of 10 has only scored 2 goals we gonna hope they bring back tied.

Again goaltending is the least of our concerns. Big 4 barely showing up, not being able to score more then 2 goals consistently despite the forward investment, and our special teams being ice cold is the real problems here

What team is winning a seroes with a 9% PP and a 50% PK

No wonder your allowing 3 goals if your opponent scores on almost every PP it gets

How about start not allowing PP goals and start scoring on yours then see what happens lul

All your points are fair but also the goaltending can't gift Boston one goal every game as well.

If Boston keeps getting gifted goals, no chance the Leafs are winning this series. If the core guys don't show up for the entire game, every game, Leafs are not winning.

You can only overcome these things occasionally, not 3-4 times in a series.
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 1 h 53
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
I think it's time to see what Woll can do.

I hope Willy is back but at the same time I'm not sure what everyone is expecting out of him considering he's not at game speed coming into the game.

Just dont be floatlander or do what he did the final game of the season

Even if he just sets someone up for a goal or just gets the PP going that game and they win 4-2 im good
27 avr. à 1 h 55
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 27 avr. à 2 h 14
Quoting: Saskleaf
The heck are you talking about lol, since when is 3 goals against completely unacceptable? It’s not stellar but it’s more or less average. When you have a team built on its offence 3 goals against is fine and you should be able to score 4 goals for the win.

By the way I agree if Sammy has not been great, he had a horrible game one. But his games 2 and 3 have been fine and good enough for us to be winning games. We just need to be scoring more, especially on the PP

Exactly

Like is a team winning a playoff round with a 9% PP and a 50% PK

Has Sammy been game changing no but he's done well enough games 2 and 3 where we should have come out with wins

But nope 1/11 PP and a PK that basically almost guarantees a goal for BOS lul
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 2 h 1
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 27 avr. à 2 h 46
All your points are fair but also the goaltending can't gift Boston one goal every game as well.

If Boston keeps getting gifted goals, no chance the Leafs are winning this series. If the core guys don't show up for the entire game, every game, Leafs are not winning.

BOS is getting almost half of its goals via their special teams

BOS PP is running at 50%, 5 of BOS 11 goals this series have come from it. So I guess the gifting is us gifting them PP's

So far the biggest issue this series is TOR special teams have been a disaster to where every time they take a PP its 90% likely not to score and their PK is so bad might as well just make it 1-0 before guy skates to the box

The other is when they are struggling to score more than 2 goals even with 4 forwards making almost 50m thats not acceptable (Yes I know ones hurt but that amplifies the issue). Basically its to where Sammy or any goalie has to either shutout BOS or allow just 1 goal or they lose. Game 2 might as well be a miracle with the fact they got 3 goals lul

No team is winning with a 9% PP or a 50% PK and for the so called goalie problem last 2 games = 2.59gaa and a 0.919sv that is far from the main problem lul. If anything should be up 2-1 if you could score goals like yah supposed to

Even Dangle mentioned that

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4d0aN-hD75Q

Big boyz combined have 2 goals and 5 points not good

Look how TOR beat TBL

7-2
4-3
5-4
2-1

Game 3 and 4 were multi deficit comebacks lead by Matthews, Marner, etc

We need this kind of scoring from this team especially the big boyz

Gimmie a 5-2 win Saturday Matthews 2 goals, Marner 1 PP goal, Robertson a goal and Kampf as it's do or die
oneX a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 7 h 49
Rip

Cant be going oh if Sammy does not allow 3 what if he allows 2 and this team struggles to score 2 goals or gets 2 but cant score the 3rd then what? This team 9 of 10 has only scored 2 goals we gonna hope they bring back ties

Again goaltending is the least of our concerns this series. Big 4 barely showing up, not being able to score more then 2 goals consistently despite the forward investment, and our special teams being ice cold are the real problems here

If the big boyz were performing, special teams were good, we were scoring 3-4 a game but still down 2-1 to BOS then yes I would say goaltending's the issue but rn there are bigger things in play

What team is winning a series with a 9% PP and a 50% PK

In the end it dont matter whose in net if this team struggles to score more than 2 goals lul

Let's maybe try to stay on track and look at the grand picture of our goaltending. Sammy has allowed 4 goals, 2 goals and 3 go in the 3 games this series. That is 3 goals against per game average. This is his career average as well. So if he has a good game, he allows less than 3. On a bad game more. An average game for him is 3 goals against.

Just drop the rest and focus on that, is that good enough. The power play and offence will not always show up, sometimes we get goalied. Sammy never goalies a team but we get goalied. Is that good enough? Isolate in your mind the number 3 GAA is that good enough.

And if you are going to write a lengthy response reiterating your rationalizing deflection rhetoric, just stop. I don't care about the core the PP or anything else beyond the play of the goalie who allows 3 goals against per game. Sammy is that player. 20 games 3 goals against per game and he'll only 1 in 10 shots. Is that good enough.
27 avr. à 7 h 57
Rip

Since when has it ever been okay to always allow 3 goals against? What goalie is considered good if they allow 3 goals a game?

Vegas won the cup and Hill had a 2.17 GAA in 16 games.

Kuemper had a 2.58 GAA.

Vasilesky had GAA's of 1.9 in both his runs to winning the cup

Binnington had a GAA of 2.46.

What's the point? Allowing 3 goals against per game doesn't get you wins in the playoffs. Everyone knows things get tighter and Sammy gets worse in the playoffs.

Why do people love him so much? It's beyond understanding
27 avr. à 8 h 11
Rip

This is the point. Sammy may have a good game and we'll win. But it's highly likely the next game he lets in 4. He's not good enough.

Game 1 he wasn't great. No one was. Game 2 he played great.

Game 3 though, he let in an absolute joke of a 1st goal and I didn't like the rebound goal Debrusk got. He didn't really react the initial shot and he knocked it down right to Debrusk. Seemed to lose his concentration for a second there.
27 avr. à 8 h 13
Rip

BOS PP is running at 50%, 5 of BOS 11 goals this series have come from it. So I guess the gifting is us gifting them PP's

So far the biggest issue this series is TOR special teams have been a disaster to where every time they take a PP its 90% likely not to score and their PK is so bad might as well just make it 1-0 before guy skates to the box

The other is when they are struggling to score more than 2 goals even with 4 forwards making almost 50m thats not acceptable (Yes I know ones hurt but that amplifies the issue). Basically its to where Sammy or any goalie has to either shutout BOS or allow just 1 goal or they lose. Game 2 might as well be a miracle with the fact they got 3 goals lul

No team is winning with a 9% PP or a 50% PK and for the so called goalie problem last 2 games = 2.59gaa and a 0.919sv that is far from the main problem lul. If anything should be up 2-1 if you could score goals like yah supposed to

Look how TOR beat TBL

7-2
4-3
5-4
2-1

Gimmie a 5-2 win Saturday Matthews 2 goals, Marner 1 PP goal, Robertson a goal and Kampf as it's do or die

So you are okay with a game plan of having to score 4 goals a game to win a series? Go find me a season in this era of the NHL where a goalie allowed 3 goals a game and his team won the cup.
27 avr. à 9 h 4
Rip
Exactly

Like is a team winning a playoff round with a 9% PP and a 50% PK

Has Sammy been game changing no but he's done well enough games 2 and 3 where we should have come out with wins

But nope 1/11 PP and a PK that basically almost guarantees a goal for BOS lul

He allowed a stinker of a 1st goal in game 3. If we had actually good goaltending that game would have been tied. Sammy was as responsible as the PP for that loss. He's not good enough, he's actually not good at all. The other issues you have are not wrong but ignoring our bad goaltending is ridiculous
27 avr. à 9 h 21

Look how TOR beat TBL

7-2
4-3
5-4
2-1

Again, all fair points but you just ignored the gifting of 1 goal every game.

About Matthews, game 2 has been his best game so far. In game 3 he was okay but not like he was in game 2.

I don't know if you guys are watching the other series but basically what I'm seeing there is core guys in those series are showing up every game win or lose. I can't claim that for the Leafs.
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 10 h 47
Saskoiler for now
Rejoint: avr. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 9,237
Since when has it ever been okay to always allow 3 goals against? What goalie is considered good if they allow 3 goals a game?

Vegas won the cup and Hill had a 2.17 GAA in 16 games.

Kuemper had a 2.58 GAA.

Vasilesky had GAA's of 1.9 in both his runs to winning the cup

Binnington had a GAA of 2.46.

What's the point? Allowing 3 goals against per game doesn't get you wins in the playoffs. Everyone knows things get tighter and Sammy gets worse in the playoffs.

Why do people love him so much? It's beyond understanding

I’m not sure if you considered that a goalie cannot allow 2.46 goals in a game lol? And 2.46 is basically 2 and a half, in other words, Sammy’s GAA from games 2 and 3 lol

I don’t love Sammy so much. I’m just not sure what you want to do here. I guess we can switch to starting Woll, but is he going to be any better coming in cold for basically not really playing for a couple months? At some point (if the leafs lose game 4 and Sammy is bad) obviously you would put Woll in. I just don’t know what you’re trying to prove here. Everyone knows Sammy is a weak starting goalie that’s not likely to be a starter on a cup winning team. But he’s what we got
27 avr. à 11 h 27
Rip
I’m not sure if you considered that a goalie cannot allow 2.46 goals in a game lol? And 2.46 is basically 2 and a half, in other words, Sammy’s GAA from games 2 and 3 lol

I don’t love Sammy so much. I’m just not sure what you want to do here. I guess we can switch to starting Woll, but is he going to be any better coming in cold for basically not really playing for a couple months? At some point (if the leafs lose game 4 and Sammy is bad) obviously you would put Woll in. I just don’t know what you’re trying to prove here. Everyone knows Sammy is a weak starting goalie that’s not likely to be a starter on a cup winning team. But he’s what we got

If you put Woll in and he's a little rusty and allows 3 goals, that's the same as what we have with Sammy. If he plays like he did in his starts last year vs Florida, he's an upgrade. Sammy is done as a leaf after this season. Why would you keep him? He's had some stretches of really good play and as many horrible stretches. He's been mediocre in the playoffs his entire career and it just can't be denied that he's mentally fragile. And that just doesn't cut it.

So what should we do? Play Woll. Should have given him game 2 and then ride it out. His ceiling is higher and the floor he has to beat is 3 GAA and 900 sv%. Those aren't hard numbers to beat.

Yeah it would be nice if the PP and the offence just came around and had a few great games. That's pretty important sure but you also need the saves Sammy doesn't provide.
Saskleaf a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 11 h 32
Rip

Waiting another game for Sammy to be bad, puts Woll in the worst position possible. Giving him or anyone else zero room for error is just dumb.

Whether we like it or not, you need to tighten up and allow less goals against in the playoffs.

The whole argument of "what if Woll ****s the bed?" Is poor. What if Sammy ****s the bed? We now have 20 games of Sammy's playoff career and what we can safely assume at this point is he's going to be mediocre. What if Woll is what he was in the playoffs last year, or before he got hurt? Both of those two things are better than Sammy.
27 avr. à 12 h 26
Rejoint: janv. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 5,298
Do not like the lineup changes at all from Keefe tonight

Dewar out, Robertson down to the 4th line and Brodie in for Lily. Not sure what the pairs are
RipNasty a aimé ceci.
27 avr. à 12 h 31
Rip
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

Dewar out, Robertson down to the 4th line and Brodie in for Lily. Not sure what the pairs are

We can almost guarantee that Robertson will get 6 minutes of playing time and Brodie will get 25 minutes. Keefe sucks.
27 avr. à 13 h 5
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

Dewar coming out makes 0 sense considering the PK has been struggling and he's one of the few PK forwards

Brodie coming in kind of makes sense considering the PK has been dog water. But at the same time why not Gio

Gio can QB a PP

Reaves should come out as the 4th line of Robertson-Kampf-Reaves just feels like its gonna get scored on lul
27 avr. à 13 h 9
Hakuna Matata
Modifié 27 avr. à 13 h 48
https://twitter.com/lukefoxjukebox/status/1784172078343532652?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

We just couldnt give him trade protection lul

Sure he may not have been full on EDM guy but this is still someone TOR could use in the playoff and if he was there with Matthews and Domi or Marner or whoever would probs turn into a key guy especially entering his prime.
27 avr. à 13 h 55
Hakuna Matata
Bruins are smelling blood and going for more

Swayman's in game 4

Big boyz gonna need to step it up

To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage