Player by player breakdown - deadline to next year

Créé par: joshelkin
Équipe: 2024-25 Islanders de New York
Date de création initiale: 26 janv. 2024
Publié: 10 févr. 2024
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Forwards:

Bo Horvat - exactly as advertised and built great chemistry with Barzal. These two are a great duo that will continue to play together for years to come.

Mathew Barzal - Horvat has helped Barzal return to his Calder season, point per game self. I think Patrick Roy can get him to the next level too.

Anders Lee - he had a very slow start to the season on the third line. Being brought back to the top line definitely helped, but Lee’s skating is becoming a problem. He can’t keep up with Horvat and Barzal. Also taking a lot of penalties this year. If there is a shake up in the next 6-8 months I could see Anders being one of the guys headed out.

Brock Nelson - possibly the best 2C in hockey and the most consistent goal scorer on the Islanders over the past 5+ years. Brock has another year left before becoming a UFA and I expect him to be kept. He has nice chemistry with Kyle Palmieri and Pierre Engvall. The only way he is shipped out is if the Islanders go through a massive rebuild.

Kyle Palmieri - not the flashiest hockey player but Palms seems to find a way to 20 goals every season. I think he is a fine 2nd line player but when his contract expires he would probably need to take a pay cut to stay on Long Island. Dobson and Romanov (not to mention Nelson) all expire simultaneously with Palmieri.

Pierre Engvall - he needs to step up. His transition game is what will keep him in the lineup but we need him to produce more points offensively and focus on not turning over the puck. If the Isles can find a way to upgrade this summer I could see Engvall bumped down to the third line. He is also a sneaky candidate to shift inside to center if the Isles make a move down the middle. He played the position in Toronto and seems to be pretty solid at faceoffs

JG Pageau - another guy who had a slower start to the year but is starting to pick it up. His dynamic PK chemistry with Simon Holmstrom really saved him from being crucified. Probably paid $1m too much but nothing outrageous. I could see Pageau being traded in order for the Islanders to make an upgrade somewhere else though

Simon Holmstrom - Elite PKer but needs to work on his 5v5 game. I think Holmstrom will be a consistent NHL player for years to come because of how defensively responsible he is. 15 goals at minimum should be doable.

Julien Gauthier - speed is fantastic and needed. Struggles some defensively but a fine bottom-6 for how little he is paid.

Oliver Wahlstrom - his time on Long Island is almost certainly up. He hasn’t been able to reclaim a regular spot in the lineup but still has an elite release. A change of scenery is needed but I don’t think Wahlstrom’s career is remotely close to over

Casey Cizikas - good soldier but taking too many penalties the past two years. Still plays a responsible 200ft game and drives the fourth line. With some new linemates beginning in 2024 (Martin/Clutterbuck should be gone) Cizikas will benefit

Hudson Fasching - he had an unbelievable season for a no name call up two years ago but the magic is wearing off. Fasching would be much better in a regular fourth line role with Cizikas as opposed to playing on the second line

Matt Martin / Cal Clutterbuck - contracts expire at the end of 2023 and neither should be brought back. It is time to move on from ‘the best fourth line in hockey’

Defense:

Noah Dobson - he has arrived. Dobson is having a Norris trophy caliber season and an 8 year extension will be coming. He is a true #1 RD. Patrick Roy will help him round out his defensive game but the offense has not been a problem.

Alex Romanov - having an outstanding second year on Long Island. He has clearly settled in and finally developed chemistry with Dobson. They are the top pair for years to come

Ryan Pulock - he was having a fine year before the injury. He will probably be one of the better #3 defensemen in the entire NHL playing behind Dobson/Romanov. Pulock won’t be asked to do as much either which should in theory extend his career/leave tread on the tires

Adam Pelech - starting to get concerned with him. His injury history is no joke. Even aside from the two concussions he has been absolutely fragile the past few years. Pelech hasn’t been the shut down defenseman of the past. Hoping that he can stay healthy and reunited with Pulock on a second pair (Pelech was playing with Dobson for a while this year) should benefit him greatly

Mike Reilly - I think he is the clear cut LD3 on this team and should be kept on the cheap. Reilly can skate, run a second PP unit, and will put the puck on net any chance he can

Scott Mayfield - he was hurt in the first game of the year and hasn’t looked like himself at all. Losing guys in the defensive zone/getting pulled out of coverage, turnover machine, and taking too many penalties. Mayfield really needs to figure it out. If there is a team out there who would trade for him (and Scott would waive his NTC for) I would really consider it.

Sam Bolduc - a work in progress and probably is a 7D at best for now. Has nice size but gets overpowered all the time. Makes bad reads and turns over the puck too frequently. He could be LD3 in another 2 years.

Sebastian Aho - not a fan of his. He can’t stay on his feet, makes bad turnovers, and is undersized/gets manhandled. Mike Reilly made him instantly replaceable as LD3

Goalies:

Ilya Sorokin - has not been himself this year but Ilya set the bar so high his first two seasons. Needs to work on not letting in the bad/back breaking goals. Also he is pretty bad in shootouts which is laughable to me. Guy can make some of the most ridiculous, acrobatic saves but 1v1 he struggles. Ilya can steal a playoff series. We go as far as he can take us

Semyon Varlamov - the better goalie of this season so far for sure. Varly is a calm and steady presence in goal. His angles are great. Always in position. Need him to continue to help Sorokin with this. Just need Varly to stay healthy and provide 30ish starts per year

Staff:

Lou Lamoriello - I can’t see how Lou isn’t safe through next year if he was allowed to fire coaches and hire Patrick Roy without an interim tag. They will work together to build a roster who can play Roy’s system. Lou definitely needs to find a way to improve this summer. That may mean moving on from a core guy. I don’t expect Lou to sell. He is 81 years old. The team’s future is quite literally not going to be his problem

Patrick Roy - I love this guy. He is a more relatable Trotz. I believe he will get the room to buy in to his system and correct the mistakes we have been making. It will take time, but I’m glad he is here this season and can see them play up close. He will have an informed opinion to share with Lou over the summer about who is a fit and who is not

Doug Houda - needs to go. PK unit has been dreadful and there were some reports the players don’t like him. Hoping Patrick Roy gets some of his guys behind the bench next year

—————————

Roster changes in this ACGM:

A Beauvillier return could be possible. He loved Long Island and Barzal is still his best friend. He hasn’t had any success since being traded (twice). Beau could come back to zero pressure on a prove it type deal and is able to bounce up/down the lineup (for example LW2 if Iskhakov isn’t ready or somewhere on the 3rd line) If he proves himself, he can get a long term contract the following season. Toffoli is a nice two way player who would bring a scoring touch to the top-6. Henrique is a Lou connection I could see being of interest on a longer term deal than he should probably get in order to keep the AAV down. Duclair was formerly coached by Roy and would inject some speed into the lineup. Vatrano is an addition from the previous deadline.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
3775 000 $
3775 000 $
3775 000 $
21 100 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
21 000 000 $
11 000 000 $
55 000 000 $
43 000 000 $
12 000 000 $
Transactions
NYI
  1. Vatrano, Frank (1 825 000 $ retained)
Détails additionnels:
Previous trade deadline

Islanders bolster their top 9 and get a non-rental at a very inexpensive number for 1.5 years
ANA
  1. Wahlstrom, Oliver [Droits de RFA]
  2. Choix de 1e ronde en 2024 (NYI)
  3. Choix de 3e ronde en 2025 (NYI)
Détails additionnels:
Ducks maximize the return on Vatrano by retaining salary. Their coaching staff is familiar with Wahlstrom at the AHL and NHL level
NYI
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2026 (BOS)
Détails additionnels:
Offseason trade

Edited trade to just a 2nd round pick after discussion in comments (previously Frederic and a 3rd)
BOS
  1. Pageau, Jean-Gabriel
Détails additionnels:
Bruins have $27m in cap space next summer with only Swayman, DeBrusk and Grzelcyk as the main guys to sign. Pageau plays a responsible 200ft game that would be appreciated in Boston. Their C depth is currently Coyle, Zacha, Geekie and Poitras. Arguably two of those guys are wingers. Pageau would help their center core and balance out the top 9
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de BOS
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
Logo de NYI
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2387 675 000 $87 212 500 $0 $0 $462 500 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Islanders de New York
9 150 000 $9 150 000 $
C, AD
M-NTC
UFA - 7
8 500 000 $8 500 000 $
C
NTC
UFA - 7
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 6
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo de Ducks d'Anaheim
1 825 000 $1 825 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
3 000 000 $3 000 000 $
AG, C
UFA
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AD, AG
UFA
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
C
UFA - 3
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
AD
RFA
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
2 500 000 $2 500 000 $
DG
RFA - 1
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
8 250 000 $8 250 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 8
5 750 000 $5 750 000 $
DG
NTC
UFA - 5
6 150 000 $6 150 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 6
2 750 000 $2 750 000 $
G
NTC
UFA - 3
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
DG
UFA
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
DD
NTC
UFA - 6
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
775 000 $775 000 $
AG, C
RFA
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
RFA - 1
787 500 $787 500 $
AD
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
10 févr. à 16 h 52
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 8,838
Take out Frederic…maybe. Lol.

Would not swap Feddy for JGP straight up.

Boston has no use for middle 6 centers anyway.
SJSF, joshelkin, BruinsWoahWoah and 2 others a aimé ceci.
10 févr. à 16 h 55
Rejoint: juin 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 11,789
that's a pretty good offer, make it a 2025 2nd and we accept
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
10 févr. à 16 h 55
Rejoint: oct. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 327
Frederic isn't an energy guy at this point in his career. He drives play on his line and has put up more than half a point per game without getting any powerplay time. But you're right in that he's not on the table
Gofnut999, joshelkin, BruinsWoahWoah and 1 other person a aimé ceci.
10 févr. à 17 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Islanders Fan
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 2,760
Quoting: SJSF
Frederic isn't an energy guy at this point in his career. He drives play on his line and has put up more than half a point per game without getting any powerplay time. But you're right in that he's not on the table

Quoting: Gofnut999
Take out Frederic…maybe. Lol.

Would not swap Feddy for JGP straight up.

Boston has no use for middle 6 centers anyway.

That’s fine, I wasn’t sure about him as I said. I thought if anything B’s fans might still want some cap coming back. If Boston (or any team) would take Pageau for a pick straight up it’s worth thinking about.
OldNYIfan et SJSF a aimé ceci.
10 févr. à 17 h 6
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 8,838
Quoting: joshelkin
That’s fine, I wasn’t sure about him as I said. I thought if anything B’s fans might still want some cap coming back. If Boston (or any team) would take Pageau for a pick straight up it’s worth thinking about.

Won’t be Boston. Adding another middle 6 center would be like adding another #1 goalie. They have to many already.
BruinsWoahWoah a aimé ceci.
10 févr. à 17 h 17
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 340
Lol one of the worst write-ups of all-time Frederic is playing himself into a top 6 role. He is a MUCH better player than JGP at this stage in their careers. JGP isn't someone Bruins should be interested in unless he is retained and basically given away.
10 févr. à 17 h 38
Démarrer sujet
Islanders Fan
Quoting: BruinsWoahWoah
Lol one of the worst write-ups of all-time Frederic is playing himself into a top 6 role. He is a MUCH better player than JGP at this stage in their careers. JGP isn't someone Bruins should be interested in unless he is retained and basically given away.

Who pissed in your Cheerios today?
10 févr. à 17 h 49
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,237
Very informed and informative write-up. Despite the Frederic/Pageau bobble, I think that this is very good work.

Quoting: GeneralLandro
that's a pretty good offer, make it a 2025 2nd and we accept

I agree.
10 févr. à 18 h 47
Démarrer sujet
Islanders Fan
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Very informed and informative write-up. Despite the Frederic/Pageau bobble, I think that this is very good work.

I agree.

Yeah I ended up just nixing the Frederic piece and signed Anthony Duclair for 1 year instead
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
10 févr. à 19 h 46
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,096
I agree with most of these , but Anders Lee gets too much hate. He has been solid this season and is a big reason the line took off. He makes little plays to maintain possession in the ozone and gives Horvat/Barzal more time to operate.

Also pageau has not been an NHL level center this season. He’s one of the worst centers in the league this season. His line constantly gets dominated at even strength.

If the isles are trading their 1st it should be for a young ish top 6 winger not a 3rd line plug on a shooting bender
10 févr. à 21 h 12
Démarrer sujet
Islanders Fan
Quoting: Db1899
I agree with most of these , but Anders Lee gets too much hate. He has been solid this season and is a big reason the line took off. He makes little plays to maintain possession in the ozone and gives Horvat/Barzal more time to operate.

Also pageau has not been an NHL level center this season. He’s one of the worst centers in the league this season. His line constantly gets dominated at even strength.

If the isles are trading their 1st it should be for a young ish top 6 winger not a 3rd line plug on a shooting bender

Vatrano is definitely having a hot season but he’s been a consistent 18-20 goal scorer the past 6 years before this one. I’m not saying that’s the kind of playing you are tossing around 1st round picks for, but at a near minimum cap hit (in this trade) for 1.5 years you can justify it. Especially if it means building out the rest of the team.

As for Lee, I love the guy but he’s not a $7m player any more. I don’t think you’ll be able to trade him for much other than another iffy contract. His buyout number isn’t that bad considering how much the cap will be rising
10 févr. à 21 h 50
Rejoint: août 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 12,096
Quoting: joshelkin
Vatrano is definitely having a hot season but he’s been a consistent 18-20 goal scorer the past 6 years before this one. I’m not saying that’s the kind of playing you are tossing around 1st round picks for, but at a near minimum cap hit (in this trade) for 1.5 years you can justify it. Especially if it means building out the rest of the team.

As for Lee, I love the guy but he’s not a $7m player any more. I don’t think you’ll be able to trade him for much other than another iffy contract. His buyout number isn’t that bad considering how much the cap will be rising

With the way the isles roster is constructed, throwing away their best asset for a 3rd liner just makes things worse, it removes any flexibility in actually upgrading the team.

Lee is not a 7 mill player, he’s a 4.5-5 m player right now and he’s better than vatrano at most aspects of the game. Vatrano just skates faster , that’s about it

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage