SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Boston Bruins signed Jeremy Swayman (1 Year / $3,475,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
Le graphique a été masqué

Options de sondage

1 août 2023 à 21 h 47
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 549
Quoting: ON3M4N
The Bruins decided on 1yr instead of 2yrs

Presumably to keep him as a RFA when it runs out.
1 août 2023 à 22 h 1
Good nerd
Rejoint: juin 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 426
Quoting: jr400

If I am not mistaken, I think even after 2 years he'd still be an RFA, but only for one more year. However, we have seen how good RFAs with one year left have quite a bit of leverage (i.e., Tkachuk), so this is still a plausible reason. I really think they give him a 4x4m+ contract next summer unless something goes horribly wrong this year.
2 août 2023 à 6 h 52
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 4,566

Even on a 2yr deal he'd have been an RFA when it expired.
2 août 2023 à 8 h 32
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 1
Don't know how to feel about this. Ullmark got off on the wrong foot heading into the playoffs. Regardless I find him way more dependable.

Think I saw 10 games or so of Sways, but his stats show a goalie that my eyes really don't.

I find the deal fairly good, however I wouldn't be surprised seeing JS leaving rather than Ullmark come TDL
2 août 2023 à 15 h 3
Rejoint: janv. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 326
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Good signing at a reasonable amount, and he's till a RFA upon expiry. Now we can stop seeing those Ullmark and Swayman trade proposals on CF.

Want to bet. tears of joy
OldNYIfan et tupty a aimé ceci.
2 août 2023 à 19 h 29
Why Green
Rejoint: oct. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,551
This was an arbitration award, so it's not necessarily what the team wanted. Arbitration awards are usually for only one year, so the player can force the team (or vice versa) to accept a short term if he doesn't want to sign for more. That's how we end up with situations like Debrincat and Dubois. To get a longer term, both parties have to agree before the arbitration hearing.

The good thing for Boston is that he's still a RFA at the end of it, unlike Samsonov who got a similar amount but will be a UFA when it expires (assuming he doesn't sign an extension first). That should make Swayman very tradeable if Boston thinks he'll be a luxury in 2024-25.

CapFriendly should identify which contracts are arbitration awards as opposed to an actual agreement between the player and team. They say "ARBITRATION: This contract was signed following an arbitration filing", but they say the same thing if they sign between the filing date and the hearing.

Quoting: jpsnow13
Come on people. It's a one year deal because it got settled in arbitration and the vast majority of players chose a 1 year deal.

Quoting: ON3M4N
Cap takes a big jump next year and if Swayman has another strong season he'd likely get a big long term deal from Boston who'd then trade Ullmark who will have 1yr left.

I forgot that it was through arbitration that he signed this contract.
2 août 2023 à 19 h 56
Rejoint: juill. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 549
Quoting: tupty
If I am not mistaken, I think even after 2 years he'd still be an RFA, but only for one more year. However, we have seen how good RFAs with one year left have quite a bit of leverage (i.e., Tkachuk), so this is still a plausible reason. I really think they give him a 4x4m+ contract next summer unless something goes horribly wrong this year.

I didn’t realize that. I assumed he had no more than 2 years to UFA eligibility because of his age and the fact that he’s already arbitration eligible, but I guess he doesn’t have enough years of NHL experience.

You may be right that the team didn’t want to give him two years because of the additional leverage that RFAs have when they’re only one year away from UFA eligibility. A 1-year contract buys time to get them over their cap crunch, and then they can make a serious pitch at signing him long term next summer while the team still has some leverage. It also leaves them with 1 year left on Ullmark’s deal when this one runs out, so they have some insurance if talks with Swayman break down and they want to trade him. He should still be very tradeable with two years of RFA time left.
tupty a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Chargement de l'animation
Soumettre les modifications du sondage