Forums/Armchair-GM

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023-24

Créé par: bg77
Équipe: 2023-24 Maple Leafs de Toronto
Date de création initiale: 19 mai 2023
Publié: 22 mai 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Here is what I would do if I were Maple Leafs GM for the upcoming season.

- Re-sign Auston Matthews to 8 yrs at $13,000,000 AAV
- Re-sign William Nylander to 8 yrs at $9,500,000 AAV

Unrestricted Free Agents

- Sign Tyler Bertuzzi for 6 yrs at $6,000,000 AAV
- Re-sign Ryan O'Reilly for 3 yrs at $5,000,000 AAV
- Sign Tyler Motte for 2 yrs at $1,500,000 AAV
- Re-sign Noel Acciari for 2 yrs at $1,250,000 AAV
- Re-sign Luke Schenn for 2 yrs at $850,000 AAV

Restricted Free Agents

- Re-sign Ilya Samsonov for 2 yrs at $4,000,000 AAV
- Re-sign Pontus Holmberg for 2 yrs at $850,000 AAV
- Re-sign Nick Abruzzese for 2 yrs at $825,000 AAV
- Re-sign Semyon Der-Arguchintsev for 1 yr at $825,000 AAV
- Re-sign Mac Hollowell for 1 yr at $775,000 AAV
- Re-sign Filip Kral for 1 yr at $775,000 AAV

The only things I will comment on here is that I think the term is important for both Samsonov and Holmberg specifically. I believe $4,000,000 at 2 yrs would be valuable for both parties, and Samsonov could hit the open market as a UFA in 2025 as a 28 year old goaltender. This also gives the Leafs flexiblity as Woll's contract expires the same summer as a restricted free agent. Leafs can either extend him as the starter depending on his progression, or look elsewhere for another goalie.

Pontus Holmberg's contact being 2 years allows him to expire in his last year of restricted free agency, giving the Leafs plenty of control in the preceding contract negotiations. I've been impressed with Holmberg as a potential bottom-six defensive centre for the future.

Buyouts

- Buyout the final year of Matt Murray's contract. 2023-24 cap hit would be $687,500, 2024-25 cap hit would be $2,000,000. I would prefer to eat the money and keep the 1st rounder to add some prospects in the draft. The cap space can be made inconsequential with reasonable extensions for Matthews and Nylander and smart cap management over the next 12 months.

Trades

- I would look to trade the 1st round pick down and acquire multiple picks. I have two trades below that would help the Leafs acquire two additional picks. In this example, the Leafs would be selecting with the 50th, 52nd, 67th, 153rd, and 185th picks. Two second rounders and an early 3rd round pick will give the Leafs the opportunity to add multiple prospects in different areas of need. This year is also supposed to be one of the deeper drafts in recent memory.

Obviously, Nick Robertson's status with the Leafs will depend on his rehab and training camp. At this point, I'm leaning towards him making the Leafs out of camp, but if he is sent down I think it could be beneficial to help him regain his confidence after serious injuries in back-to-back seasons. Here is another alternative lineup with Holmberg up and Robertson in the AHL.

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Marner
Knies - O'Reilly - Acciari
Motte - Holmberg - Lafferty

Last note, I'm really hoping the Leafs hire Peter Laviolette as head coach. Getting an experienced coach would be huge IMO, and he has a reputation for demanding the most out of his players.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions below. I know I could get roasted for not splitting up any of the "Core Four" hahahaha.
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
RFAANSCAP HIT
24 000 000 $
2850 000 $
2825 000 $
1825 000 $
1775 000 $
1775 000 $
UFAANSCAP HIT
66 000 000 $
35 000 000 $
21 500 000 $
21 250 000 $
2850 000 $
Transactions
TOR
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2023 (CHI)
  2. Choix de 3e ronde en 2023 (CHI)
CHI
  1. Choix de 1e ronde en 2023 (BOS)
Détails additionnels:
Toronto trades the 28th overall pick to Chicago in exchange for the 35th and 67th overall picks during the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.
TOR
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2023 (SEA)
  2. Choix de 2e ronde en 2023 (WPG)
SEA
  1. Choix de 2e ronde en 2023 (CHI)
Détails additionnels:
Toronto trades the 35th overall pick to Seattle in exchange for the 50th and 52nd overall picks during the 2023 NHL Entry Draft
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de SEA
Logo de WPG
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de NYI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de OTT
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
Logo de CHI
Logo de TOR
Logo de TOR
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2183 500 000 $83 331 450 $0 $0 $168 550 $

Formation

Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
6 000 000 $6 000 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
Logo de Maple Leafs de Toronto
11 640 250 $11 640 250 $
C
NMC
UFA - 1
2 100 000 $2 100 000 $
AD, C, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
796 667 $796 667 $
AG, AD
RFA - 1
11 000 000 $11 000 000 $
C, AG
NMC
UFA - 2
10 903 000 $10 903 000 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
C
UFA - 4
6 962 366 $6 962 366 $
AD
NMC
UFA - 1
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
1 250 000 $1 250 000 $
C, AD
UFA - 3
1 150 000 $1 150 000 $
AD, C, AG
UFA - 1
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
DG
NMC
UFA - 7
850 000 $850 000 $
DD
UFA - 3
4 000 000 $4 000 000 $
G
UFA - 1
5 000 000 $5 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
1 100 000 $1 100 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
766 667 $766 667 $
G
RFA - 2
2 000 000 $2 000 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DD
RFA - 1
800 000 $800 000 $
DG
UFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
5 625 000 $5 625 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
22 mai 2023 à 16 h 45
Rip
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,166
You probably should have done the math on the next season. There is absolutely no chance they can fit all this in during the 1st year of Matthews and Nylanders deals. Not signing Samsonov or buying out Murray would help but I don't think you can sign Bertuzzi and ROR and pay Nylander and Matthews that much
GMBL, GladeBang12 et bg77 a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 17 h 1
Rejoint: mai 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,460
I really don't think the new GM will be able to sign Matthews without paying him a ton more or giving him 5 years, but we will see.
bg77 a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 17 h 29
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 11,105
Hawks probably accept
bg77 a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 17 h 30
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,730
Quoting: RipNasty
You probably should have done the math on the next season. There is absolutely no chance they can fit all this in during the 1st year of Matthews and Nylanders deals. Not signing Samsonov or buying out Murray would help but I don't think you can sign Bertuzzi and ROR and pay Nylander and Matthews that much

Well, you'll have Brodie's $5 million coming off the books, so that plus a presumed $1 million cap rise covers the $1.5 million raise to Matthews, the $2.5 million raise to Nylander and the Murray buy-out. The problem is that there's virtually nothing left in the bank with which to replace Brodie, and there's the problem of a 21-man roster, too.

Everything here minus Bertuzzi would be an excellent plan.
bg77 et RipNasty a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 17 h 56
Démarrer sujet
Rejoint: juin 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 31

I just realised I forgot to explain the cap situation for next season. My mistake, I realised as soon as I posted this thread.

In the 2024-25 season, if you include the Matthews and Nylander extensions, the Leafs would have $8,105,333 to play with. Pending unrestricted free agents would include T.J. Brodie, Mark Giordano, and Sam Lafferty. Pending restricted free agents would include Nick Robertson and Timothy Liljegren. The team would have 10 forwards, 4 defencemen, and both goaltenders under contract from the previous season, meaning there are 4 roster spots to fill with that $8,000,000. Some of these slots can come in at cheaper rates, depending on the progression of Toronto Marlies prospects and bargain hunting on the open market in free agency for bottom-six and bottom-pairing contributors.

With the UFA's, Mark Giordano is likely retiring. Sam Lafferty is a player I am definitely a fan of, but he is someone we can have walk to the open market if he commands too much money. Brodie will be 34, and I am not totally convinced that he gets anywhere near the $5,000,000 cap hit he is making currently. Potential discounted rate for a player closing in on his late 30's and is from Ontario.

With the RFA's, even in a scenario where Robertson and Liljegren play amazing, they do not have leverage due to their restricted status. Liljegren does have arbitration rights, but I see his cap hit somewhere around $2,500,000 on a 3 yr term given what we have seen from him as of now in his career. I like him as a solid bottom pair option who can fill in up the lineup. Robertson on the other hand has no arbitration rights and significant injury history. I see him taking similar money to the Sandin and Liljegren bridge deals of last off-season. If he lights the league up with our big forwards, he maybe gets more than that but not substantially.

If the Leafs were to sign O'Reilly and Samsonov at the terms and money seen above, I believe both contracts are movable in the following off-season. In the case of Samsonov specfically, we may well see Woll take command in the Leafs net which would give team the flexibility to flip Samsonov to recoup draft selections, and replace him with another platoon 1A / 1B option at a cheaper rate. I'm definitely interested in seeing what Dennis Hildeby does in his first professional season in North America with the Marlies this coming season.

Let me know if this makes sense to you or whether you disagree with the approach. I really appreciate the feedback!
OldNYIfan et RipNasty a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 18 h 0
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Well, you'll have Brodie's $5 million coming off the books, so that plus a presumed $1 million cap rise covers the $1.5 million raise to Matthews, the $2.5 million raise to Nylander and the Murray buy-out. The problem is that there's virtually nothing left in the bank with which to replace Brodie, and there's the problem of a 21-man roster, too.

Hey OldNYIfan,

I really appreciate the feedback!

I do have concerns myself with Tyler Bertuzzi's injury history. I signed him just to shake things up, specifically since he could fill our need at top six left wing. It's also impossible to not overpay on the free market in this day and age. Would you have any other suggestions for that $6,000,000 I gave to him? I was actually decided between him and Killorn and settled on Bertuzzi, I just figured that he has more upside. What I like about Killorn is he has virtually no injury history, he is always healthy and is another heart-and-soul style player. He also would likely be cheaper to sign given his age. Would you prefer Killorn or anyone else to Bertuzzi?
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 18 h 22
Once a Kings Fan Too
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 25,730
Guy goes to the doctor, in a pained voice says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this {indicating}."
Doctor says, "Don't do that."

Yeah, you can go through all those gyrations next summer. Or, you can not sign Bertuzzi.

That has two benefits, one immediate, one future:

The immediate benefit is that for that $6 million, you can sign (or acquire) three players and run a 23-man roster. You might even limit the expense to $4.5 million or so.

The long term benefit is that with the top 3/4 of your roster already in place (top 9 forwards and top 4 defensemen without Brodie), the urge to replace Brodie with a similar big-ticket RhD will be much reduced.

Killorn would be a great idea if you could sign him for what he's making now ($4.5 million).

By the way, I think that Luke Schenn is going to get about twice what you have him signing for here.
bg77 a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 19 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Guy goes to the doctor, in a pained voice says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this {indicating}."
Doctor says, "Don't do that."

Yeah, you can go through all those gyrations next summer. Or, you can not sign Bertuzzi.

That has two benefits, one immediate, one future:

The immediate benefit is that for that $6 million, you can sign (or acquire) three players and run a 23-man roster. You might even limit the expense to $4.5 million or so.

The long term benefit is that with the top 3/4 of your roster already in place (top 9 forwards and top 4 defensemen without Brodie), the urge to replace Brodie with a similar big-ticket RhD will be much reduced.

Killorn would be a great idea if you could sign him for what he's making now ($4.5 million).

By the way, I think that Luke Schenn is going to get about twice what you have him signing for here.

Fair enough, I definitely agree about Bertuzzi's injuries. I think Schenn takes the discount, he's already got a house in the city and it's the Leafs.

I like the idea of Killorn, to me we need a genuine top-six left winger to ease the pressure on guys like Robertson, Knies, and even Jarnkrok to produce at that level. I still like Bertuzzi most, but totally see your point of view.

I wouldn't mind even someone like a Connor Brown. He was great for us he always brought 100% effort and he might be even cheaper than expected because of his ACL surgery that kept him out all year in Washington. Proven chemistry with Auston in his rookie year too.

Free agency is relatively weak this year, and is looking to be very good the following year in 2024. Not signing Bertuzzi could allow us to explore options next season in a much more favourable market.

Thanks for sharing!
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 20 h 9
Rip

I am a minority but I would likely move Samsonov and try Woll/Murray as the tandem.
22 mai 2023 à 20 h 39
Rip
Quoting: bg77
I just realised I forgot to explain the cap situation for next season. My mistake, I realised as soon as I posted this thread.

In the 2024-25 season, if you include the Matthews and Nylander extensions, the Leafs would have $8,105,333 to play with. Pending unrestricted free agents would include T.J. Brodie, Mark Giordano, and Sam Lafferty. Pending restricted free agents would include Nick Robertson and Timothy Liljegren. The team would have 10 forwards, 4 defencemen, and both goaltenders under contract from the previous season, meaning there are 4 roster spots to fill with that $8,000,000. Some of these slots can come in at cheaper rates, depending on the progression of Toronto Marlies prospects and bargain hunting on the open market in free agency for bottom-six and bottom-pairing contributors.

With the UFA's, Mark Giordano is likely retiring. Sam Lafferty is a player I am definitely a fan of, but he is someone we can have walk to the open market if he commands too much money. Brodie will be 34, and I am not totally convinced that he gets anywhere near the $5,000,000 cap hit he is making currently. Potential discounted rate for a player closing in on his late 30's and is from Ontario.

With the RFA's, even in a scenario where Robertson and Liljegren play amazing, they do not have leverage due to their restricted status. Liljegren does have arbitration rights, but I see his cap hit somewhere around $2,500,000 on a 3 yr term given what we have seen from him as of now in his career. I like him as a solid bottom pair option who can fill in up the lineup. Robertson on the other hand has no arbitration rights and significant injury history. I see him taking similar money to the Sandin and Liljegren bridge deals of last off-season. If he lights the league up with our big forwards, he maybe gets more than that but not substantially.

If the Leafs were to sign O'Reilly and Samsonov at the terms and money seen above, I believe both contracts are movable in the following off-season. In the case of Samsonov specfically, we may well see Woll take command in the Leafs net which would give team the flexibility to flip Samsonov to recoup draft selections, and replace him with another platoon 1A / 1B option at a cheaper rate. I'm definitely interested in seeing what Dennis Hildeby does in his first professional season in North America with the Marlies this coming season.

Let me know if this makes sense to you or whether you disagree with the approach. I really appreciate the feedback!

You make a lot of sense. I think I would not buyout Murray and instead move Samsonov. 4 million is too much. I would be open to giving him shorter term but right now if we keep him for next season, he's battling Woll for the net. I am not paying a tandem netminder 4 million when he very well could lose the position. If he won't sign for less move him and keep Murray. That saves 2 million, if Samsonov signs for somewhere around 3 or less then you keep him and trade Murray.

Liljegren I hope has progressed enough to warrant a longer term deal in the 4 million range. I agree the rest can be flushed out for not too much but I also think we do need a new element on the defence. I would love a new Muzzin, someone bigger, with an edge but still can make a good pass and create some plays. That will likely cost around 5 million, not Brodie but someone. No idea who. It's all possible with this make up but then it gets harder the next season due to Knies, Marner and Tavares all needing new deals. Yeah JT makes less on his next deal but much of that will likely go to Marner and other defence replacement. Knies I think is going to be a player and one who could warrant a pretty big deal in 3 years.

I think Shanahan is a problem but hopefully he keeps Pridham and does whatever it takes to keep him around, he's a cap wizard and so so smart with how to keep the cap manageable. If we lose him, with the next Regime, we are in huge trouble.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 20 h 59
Rip
Quoting: bg77
Hey OldNYIfan,

I really appreciate the feedback!

I do have concerns myself with Tyler Bertuzzi's injury history. I signed him just to shake things up, specifically since he could fill our need at top six left wing. It's also impossible to not overpay on the free market in this day and age. Would you have any other suggestions for that $6,000,000 I gave to him? I was actually decided between him and Killorn and settled on Bertuzzi, I just figured that he has more upside. What I like about Killorn is he has virtually no injury history, he is always healthy and is another heart-and-soul style player. He also would likely be cheaper to sign given his age. Would you prefer Killorn or anyone else to Bertuzzi?

While I do definitely think he's a lot better than him, but I get a lot of David Clarkson vibes from Bertuzzi. Like I think he could be a guy that really disappoints on his next deal. Injuries have been a problem, as much for him as Murray. That's definitely worrisome, it would definitely complicate our long term cap as well. And while I don't think he'd fall apart and be a highly paid 3rd liner who you thought would score a lot more and gets hurt quite a bit. I feel like it would be a, "he's filled a very important role on the team, but he's also been hurt 30-40% of the time" situation. I personally would look elsewhere first. I hope Comtois isn't qualified and TO gives him a couple years at a lower hit to rebuild his value. I certainly don't expect him to explode but I think he could help bring a new edge to the lineup and still be a useful player when he's on the ice. I think we could get better value. Not better production, but less injuries.

I have traditionally been against thinking we need mindless grit, but seeing how dirty teams get in the playoffs, if you can't beat them join them.
bg77 a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 21 h 7
Démarrer sujet
You make a lot of sense. I think I would not buyout Murray and instead move Samsonov. 4 million is too much. I would be open to giving him shorter term but right now if we keep him for next season, he's battling Woll for the net. I am not paying a tandem netminder 4 million when he very well could lose the position. If he won't sign for less move him and keep Murray. That saves 2 million, if Samsonov signs for somewhere around 3 or less then you keep him and trade Murray.

Liljegren I hope has progressed enough to warrant a longer term deal in the 4 million range. I agree the rest can be flushed out for not too much but I also think we do need a new element on the defence. I would love a new Muzzin, someone bigger, with an edge but still can make a good pass and create some plays. That will likely cost around 5 million, not Brodie but someone. No idea who. It's all possible with this make up but then it gets harder the next season due to Knies, Marner and Tavares all needing new deals. Yeah JT makes less on his next deal but much of that will likely go to Marner and other defence replacement. Knies I think is going to be a player and one who could warrant a pretty big deal in 3 years.

I think Shanahan is a problem but hopefully he keeps Pridham and does whatever it takes to keep him around, he's a cap wizard and so so smart with how to keep the cap manageable. If we lose him, with the next Regime, we are in huge trouble.

I trust in Brendan Shanahan and his decision making process. He has so much respect around the league, we are lucky to have him around in my opinion. Shanahan and Dave Nonis were the ones who hired Brandon Pridham to the organization back in 2014. Shanahan was instrumental in promoting him to Assistant General Manager.

We will definitely see, as @OldNYIfan has said we can avoid signing Bertuzzi and have that space open for a defencemen next summer or at the trade deadline. Guys like Devon Toews, Noah Hanifin, Nikita Zadorov are free agents in '24, maybe the Leafs even make a move at the upcoming trade deadline or whatever for a top 4 guy.

I'm confident that whoever the Leafs bring in as the new General Manager will be of benefit to the organization. I think so many fans are worried because the news is so fresh and the future of Matthews is uncertain. Let's give it time and see how the next 12 months play out.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 22 h 9
Birddog
Rejoint: mai 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 241
Maybe they could just draft a really good player with their first round pick.
RipNasty et bg77 a aimé ceci.
22 mai 2023 à 22 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Quoting: Newtown
Maybe they could just draft a really good player with their first round pick.

I would be happy with that as well!

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage