Forums/Armchair-GM

Jfresh jknows nothing

Créé par: Andy_Dick
Équipe: 2023-24 Canadiens de Montréal
Date de création initiale: 8 avr. 2023
Publié: 8 avr. 2023
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Heard cringe nerd king Jfresh say that shooting from a defenseman should never happen as the percentages for a shot are too low lmao.

Talk about leaving no room for nuance.

I swear anyone that quotes this guy has no clue and has never played the game
Signatures de joueurs autonomes
LISTE DE RÉSERVEANSCAP HIT
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
3925 000 $
RFAANSCAP HIT
3850 000 $
67 500 000 $
21 500 000 $
32 200 000 $
11 000 000 $
87 500 000 $
CRÉÉANSCAP HIT
Benson, Zach
3950 000 $
Transactions
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc [Droits de RFA]
WPG
  1. Armia, Joel
  2. Heineman, Emil
  3. Choix de 1e ronde en 2023 (FLA)
  4. Choix de 4e ronde en 2023 (PIT)
Détails additionnels:
Heineman's dominance in the AHL will cancel out the worsening of the Cats pick from top15-top20
MTL
  1. Choix de 6e ronde en 2023 (OTT)
Rachats de contrats
Repêchage1e ronde2e ronde3e ronde4e ronde5e ronde6e ronde7e ronde
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de VGK
Logo de MTL
Logo de CGY
Logo de MTL
Logo de OTT
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de COL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de SJS
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de EDM
Logo de MTL
Logo de CGY
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
Logo de MTL
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
2386 500 000 $71 073 333 $1 170 000 $4 832 500 $15 426 667 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 8
7 875 000 $7 875 000 $
C
UFA - 7
7 500 000 $7 500 000 $
C
UFA - 8
1 500 000 $1 500 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 1
3 362 500 $3 362 500 $
C, AD
RFA - 3
5 500 000 $5 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 4
2 200 000 $2 200 000 $
AG, AD
RFA - 2
4 450 000 $4 450 000 $
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
950 000 $950 000 $ (Bonis de performance3 500 000 $$4M)
AD, AG
RFA - 2
885 000 $885 000 $ (Bonis de performance80 000 $$80K)
C
RFA - 3
6 500 000 $6 500 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
897 500 $897 500 $ (Bonis de performance557 500 $$558K)
AD, AG
RFA - 2
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 875 000 $4 875 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
3 500 000 $3 500 000 $
DD
UFA - 2
1 925 000 $1 925 000 $
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance420 000 $$420K)
DG/DD
RFA - 2
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
G
UFA - 1
1 400 000 $1 400 000 $
DG/DD
RFA - 2
925 000 $925 000 $ (Bonis de performance275 000 $$275K)
DD
RFA - 1
828 333 $828 333 $
DG/DD
RFA - 1
Laissés de côtéListe des blessés (IR)Liste des blessés à long terme (LTIR)
1 700 000 $1 700 000 $
C
UFA - 2
10 500 000 $10 500 000 $
G
NMC
UFA - 3
1 000 000 $1 000 000 $
AD, AG
RFA - 1
875 000 $875 000 $
DG/DD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
766 667 $766 667 $
DD
UFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
8 avr. 2023 à 13 h 55
Rejoint: févr. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 2,513
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Lack of nuance. Jfresh and Dom simply don’t know how to filter the stats properly. They only do it when it suits their narrative.
The fact Dom still thinks the Leafs should be favoured in every playoff series is such a giant tell.
The Passion.

Being a favorite and winning are 2 differents things.you can be a favorite and lose every year.
10 avr. 2023 à 7 h 27
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Mentions "j'aime": 2,375
Quoting: drambui
Being a favorite and winning are 2 differents things.you can be a favorite and lose every year.

The Leafs should never be favourites besides reasons of profit for the books. The betting public pushes the Leafs in a direction with the largest fan base so the odds will always be pushed to even the money. Dom leads the charge in homerism. The Passion. They all get swept up to believe in the moment and hoping against reason. You can always manipulate polls, stats, accordingly. Thus the bias and lack of credibility.
10 avr. 2023 à 11 h 45
The Leafs should never be favourites besides reasons of profit for the books. The betting public pushes the Leafs in a direction with the largest fan base so the odds will always be pushed to even the money. Dom leads the charge in homerism. The Passion. They all get swept up to believe in the moment and hoping against reason. You can always manipulate polls, stats, accordingly. Thus the bias and lack of credibility.

you know u have bias and credibility issue too when you say '' the leaf should never be favorites '' right. Cant say they were the underdogs when playing colombus or mtl.
BigShoots a aimé ceci.
10 avr. 2023 à 15 h 54
Démarrer sujet
Banni
you know u have bias and credibility issue too when you say '' the leaf should never be favorites '' right. Cant say they were the underdogs when playing colombus or mtl.

cmon i meant the playoffs. dont put words in my mouth lol
10 avr. 2023 à 15 h 58
cmon i meant the playoffs. dont put words in my mouth lol

they played against colombus and Montreal in the playoffs in the last few years. cant honestly say they were not favorites.
11 avr. 2023 à 22 h 24
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
You've responded to statement I've made and no, I don't pay attention to who does or does not respond to me on this board. My world isn't that small.

You are literally in my ACGM responding over and over. How this flew over your head , somehow. You make as much sense as this guy

13 janv. à 17 h 41
Big Shoots
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 1,087
Quoting: Andy_Dick
Lack of nuance. Jfresh and Dom simply don’t know how to filter the stats properly. They only do it when it suits their narrative.
The fact Dom still thinks the Leafs should be favoured in every playoff series is such a giant tell.
The Passion.

What nuance are you adding?
13 janv. à 17 h 46
Big Shoots
the thing is most plays in the offensive zone dont end up in a goal statisticly. So its easy to say that you should avoid doing something because it wont resulst in a goal because most plays dont results in a goal. its as much of a good take as saying '' you should try having more breakaway '' or even with your examples i can say ''when you dump the puck it will never go in the net, therefore you should shoot the puck instead ''. I know thats not what you mean and it doesnt make much sense, I'm just trying to say stats.without context lile Jfresh is using are meaningless.

I think they're saying here are the numbers on point shots. In many cases it's basically just a turnover. Like the other guy said obv if there is a tip or traffic, or you are moving toward goal from like the top of the circles its different. If you are consistently turning the puck over on feeble shots, passing it or dumping it to a teammate can often be a better decision.
14 janv. à 8 h 32
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: BigShoots
What nuance are you adding?

lol why you bumping this?
Ah without even bothering to read the whole thread..nuance is nuance..that is why the word is used. Filling your own narrative with cherry picked stats is the standard here. Dom should be categorized as a random poster no different than you and me. That is my point. I dont get paid to be unbiased as opposed to them and they fail over and over at their one job.
14 janv. à 13 h 10
Big Shoots
lol why you bumping this?
Ah without even bothering to read the whole thread..nuance is nuance..that is why the word is used. Filling your own narrative with cherry picked stats is the standard here. Dom should be categorized as a random poster no different than you and me. That is my point. I dont get paid to be unbiased as opposed to them and they fail over and over at their one job.

Someone told me Jfresh basically admitted his model was broken. I was dubious so I searched for it. Couldn't find anything but found this thread. Hoping it might point me to it I read through. You are pushing this idea of nuance but you aren't bringing any yourself. You have insanely strong opinions. Dom is terrible etc. He has a model that produces decent feedback. No models are perfect. You act like because he is making models even one mistake discredits his whole project. It's just about being better than the average person and I think he's safely beats mine or your opinions (which are clearly biased and we get a ton wrong).
14 janv. à 13 h 43
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
Someone told me Jfresh basically admitted his model was broken. I was dubious so I searched for it. Couldn't find anything but found this thread. Hoping it might point me to it I read through. You are pushing this idea of nuance but you aren't bringing any yourself. You have insanely strong opinions. Dom is terrible etc. He has a model that produces decent feedback. No models are perfect. You act like because he is making models even one mistake discredits his whole project. It's just about being better than the average person and I think he's safely beats mine or your opinions (which are clearly biased and we get a ton wrong).

The issue is that people treat it as definitive when it is anything but.
It provides an at-a-glance aggregation of partial statistics from already derived values.
That makes it not only incomplete but skewed.

Perhaps this is what you were looking for? https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1631673879738368000/photo/1
It's not an admission, but someone may have interpreted it that way. It basically says do not use it to define or predict a player's performance accurately.
All models vary in how well they interpret or predict data, so that doesn't mean it is necessarily broken.
Using his player cards to evaluate a player is like driving using only your rear view mirror. You have no idea what's on either side, what's in front of you, or even everything that is behind you.
The people that quote his player cards to further an argument are like that one guy at a party that's had one too many and insists he's still okay to drive.
14 janv. à 19 h 15
Big Shoots
Quoting: ricochetii
The issue is that people treat it as definitive when it is anything but.
It provides an at-a-glance aggregation of partial statistics from already derived values.
That makes it not only incomplete but skewed.

Perhaps this is what you were looking for? https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1631673879738368000/photo/1
It's not an admission, but someone may have interpreted it that way. It basically says do not use it to define or predict a player's performance accurately.
All models vary in how well they interpret or predict data, so that doesn't mean it is necessarily broken.
Using his player cards to evaluate a player is like driving using only your rear view mirror. You have no idea what's on either side, what's in front of you, or even everything that is behind you.
The people that quote his player cards to further an argument are like that one guy at a party that's had one too many and insists he's still okay to drive.

If some people use the models as gospel that has no bearing on the models themselves. That just means someone doesn't know how to use them.

You're analogies of what the models are are totally butchered. None of that even makes sense.

What they do is deepen our understanding more broadly. You might know a player on your own team really well but how to do you compare his impact to another player in the league? Especially when you can't watch every team every night. The model can reliably be more accurate about a player than any of us individual fans of our home teams. They're far more accurate than an eye test or an opinion reliably.

You say they are biased but they are literally just data points. If you change the models inputs to fit your needs then sure that would be biased but the models don't get changed on a whim. Therefore they have basically no bias. Ironically individual opinion is rife with bias.

You say you hate it when someone quotes a player card when making an argument, how do you respond then? "Trust me bro I watch him every night"?

Thanks for the link. The fact that the highlighted part had to be highlighted I think speaks to people like @andy_dick. He seems to think that if the models get anything at all wrong they are useless. Which is the least nuanced take possible. But ya the guy who said that about JFresh was biased clearly, and misinterpreted what was said most likely just to further his own agenda, as we all are guilty of to varying degrees. Another reason why the models help so much.
14 janv. à 19 h 27
Go Habs Go
Rejoint: mars 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 4,091
If some people use the models as gospel that has no bearing on the models themselves. That just means someone doesn't know how to use them.

You're analogies of what the models are are totally butchered. None of that even makes sense.

What they do is deepen our understanding more broadly. You might know a player on your own team really well but how to do you compare his impact to another player in the league? Especially when you can't watch every team every night. The model can reliably be more accurate about a player than any of us individual fans of our home teams. They're far more accurate than an eye test or an opinion reliably.

You say they are biased but they are literally just data points. If you change the models inputs to fit your needs then sure that would be biased but the models don't get changed on a whim. Therefore they have basically no bias. Ironically individual opinion is rife with bias.

You say you hate it when someone quotes a player card when making an argument, how do you respond then? "Trust me bro I watch him every night"?

Thanks for the link. The fact that the highlighted part had to be highlighted I think speaks to people like andy_dick. He seems to think that if the models get anything at all wrong they are useless. Which is the least nuanced take possible. But ya the guy who said that about JFresh was biased clearly, and misinterpreted what was said most likely just to further his own agenda, as we all are guilty of to varying degrees. Another reason why the models help so much.

You're putting words in my mouth. I said incomplete and skewed and that it should not be used as a definitive analysis of a player's value.

A player's value is dependent on market factors not simply statistics and a data-driven model cannot account for everything that increases a player's value such as leadership and work ethic, which are real things that GMs take into consideration that cannot be quantified.

Anyway, not looking for a debate. I'm pro analytics, they have a place, there are just few people who apply them correctly to enhance, not define, their view of a player.
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
17 janv. à 18 h 11
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,784

Thanks for the link. The fact that the highlighted part had to be highlighted I think speaks to people like andy_dick. He seems to think that if the models get anything at all wrong they are useless. Which is the least nuanced take possible. But ya the guy who said that about JFresh was biased clearly, and misinterpreted what was said most likely just to further his own agenda, as we all are guilty of to varying degrees. Another reason why the models help so much.

But that's not what's being said. @andy_dick isn't saying the models are all wrong and useless, etc. And he can correct me if I'm wrong, not trying to speak for him, but he's saying that the Models can be as biased as the individuals who made them. E.g. He brought up Dom's model always showing the Leafs as favorites in playoff matchups.
I'm also a pro-analytics guy, but how raw data can be presented to the public is really at the mercy of the person showing it. And models compile raw data to "try" to give a more "user friendly" picture. The person creating the model can add weight to certain metrics to fit whatever narrative they like. Hence the bias. The more technical term for this is "P-Hacking".
Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
17 janv. à 18 h 23
Lets go fishing
Rejoint: juill. 2023
Mentions "j'aime": 205
In retrospect, that would have been more than fair for PLD.
Blazingbat11 et Andy_Dick a aimé ceci.
17 janv. à 19 h 21
Big Shoots
Quoting: Blazingbat11
But that's not what's being said. andy_dick isn't saying the models are all wrong and useless, etc. And he can correct me if I'm wrong, not trying to speak for him, but he's saying that the Models can be as biased as the individuals who made them. E.g. He brought up Dom's model always showing the Leafs as favorites in playoff matchups.
I'm also a pro-analytics guy, but how raw data can be presented to the public is really at the mercy of the person showing it. And models compile raw data to "try" to give a more "user friendly" picture. The person creating the model can add weight to certain metrics to fit whatever narrative they like. Hence the bias. The more technical term for this is "P-Hacking".

If your idea is that they make the models so that the leafs look good that is just preposterous. They have been a top team for yrs. They lost to the cup champs in 7 games and then beat them the next yr. What is the evidence that they shouldn't have been favorites?

If you believe a model is misleading then it's incumbent upon you to say why. And then we can update the models or make a better one if thats the case. They are a good starting point of reference no doubt though. And most of the time theyre accurate. Like orders of magnitude more accurate than someones opinion.
17 janv. à 19 h 40
Démarrer sujet
Banni
Quoting: RationalHockeyFan
In retrospect, that would have been more than fair for PLD.

LOL I have no idea why this thread was even bumped in the 1st place because Jfresh decided to log into capfriendly maybe sarcasm His opinions are terrible and that was my point NOT that analytics are awful but I wont let someone else's narrative bother me. It's more funny than anything.

And, boy! That Zach Benson would have been nice.
RationalHockeyFan a aimé ceci.
17 janv. à 20 h 6
Molson beer is meh
Rejoint: janv. 2017
Mentions "j'aime": 1,784
If your idea is that they make the models so that the leafs look good that is just preposterous. They have been a top team for yrs. They lost to the cup champs in 7 games and then beat them the next yr. What is the evidence that they shouldn't have been favorites?

If you believe a model is misleading then it's incumbent upon you to say why. And then we can update the models or make a better one if thats the case. They are a good starting point of reference no doubt though. And most of the time theyre accurate. Like orders of magnitude more accurate than someones opinion.

For the first bolded statement, I never said that… You really like putting words in peoples mouths, huh?

For the second bolded statement, “we”? Maybe that’s why you’re so defensive on people criticizing models lol is this JFresh? Dom?

Again, all I and others are bringing forward is that models can be as biased as those who make them. My evidence is that p-hacking exists…. Anything else you want to claim I say, is of your own doing.
17 janv. à 21 h 57
Big Shoots
Quoting: Blazingbat11
For the first bolded statement, I never said that… You really like putting words in peoples mouths, huh?

For the second bolded statement, “we”? Maybe that’s why you’re so defensive on people criticizing models lol is this JFresh? Dom?

Again, all I and others are bringing forward is that models can be as biased as those who make them. My evidence is that p-hacking exists…. Anything else you want to claim I say, is of your own doing.

"...the Models can be as biased as the individuals who made them. E.g. He brought up Dom's model always showing the Leafs as favorites in playoff matchups"

"The person creating the model can add weight to certain metrics to fit whatever narrative they like."

"The more technical term for this is "P-Hacking"."

This is what I'm referring to. It suggests the makers of the models just change the data to fit whatever they want. And or make sure to ignore data that contradicts the data they show.

Hahah I'm so defensive that I called out your BS take. Yes that is true. I can't stand the people who try to suggest they have an eye test gauge on every player in the league and its more accurate than the data. And no I'm not Jfresh, we just refers to us all wanting and contributing to better data. Essentially the scientific method.

That point is moot though because even with the potential biases the data are orders of magnitude more reliable than one person's opinion. So if you want to make that point, start by making it a 1000x times about someone's eyes test and the myriad of flaws associated with this approach. It's almost like you are p-hacking your way through this debate!
27 mars à 11 h 39
Leafs going to Leafs
Rejoint: déc. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 3,018
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
There's some statician out there that blindly follows NHLe (essentially point-scoring adjusted at to an NHL level). He's worse than both of those guys. Said a Red Wings prospect, Marco Kasper, needs probably two years in the AHL.

Marco Kasper is a two-way player. He wasn't drafted for his point production. He was regarded as one of the most NHL ready prospects in the 2022 draft.

Less than a week player he played his first game and the Wings won 5-2 against the Leafs, he was the 2nd line center. He also played with a broken kneecap for most of the game.

How close is Kasper to playing his second AHL season?
27 mars à 11 h 43
Leafs going to Leafs

Because the Leafs targeted players who had the best analytics under Dubas... Doesn't translate to playoffs success all the time as it doesn't factor in size, physicality, etc. But it makes the models look, generally, in the Leafs favour

and recapping the Leafs playoffs opponents since 2019:
2019: Stanley Cup Finalists
2020: 2nd round exit (With injuries including Muzzin)
2021: Stanley Cup Finalists (With injuries including John Tavares)
2022: Stanley Cup Finalists
2023: Stanley Cup Finalists

It's not like they are losing to bad teams either
27 mars à 14 h 30
Joe
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 5,600
Quoting: Leafsfan98
How close is Kasper to playing his second AHL season?

Whenever the season ends? Whenever next season starts? Depends on when you define the start of an AHL season.
27 mars à 16 h 7
Leafs going to Leafs
Whenever the season ends? Whenever next season starts? Depends on when you define the start of an AHL season.

Point is; Kasper is pretty close to playing in 2 AHL seasons
27 mars à 16 h 51
Joe
Rejoint: nov. 2022
Mentions "j'aime": 5,600
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Point is; Kasper is pretty close to playing in 2 AHL seasons

bros really pulling out call backs from a year ago 😭. Loser activity.
27 mars à 16 h 55
Leafs going to Leafs
bros really pulling out call backs from a year ago 😭

Just saying, The guy was right 🤷‍♂️

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option