Forums/Armchair-GM

A Modest Proposal re Arizona

Créé par: OldNYIfan
Équipe: 2021-22 Équipe personnalisée
Date de création initiale: 13 févr. 2022
Publié: 16 févr. 2022
Mode - plafond salarial: Basique
Description
Loudly trumpeted in the local media, but probably not widely disseminated nationally for fear of League-wide derision, last week the Arizona Coyotes announced that they will start playing their home games in the new Arizona State University arena in the 2022 – 2023 season. Capacity: slightly over 5,000 (per reports, because it hasn’t been completed yet).

This is unsustainable. Just imagine some billionaire reserving the entire joint for his wedding reception during a home game.

Obviously, this franchise needs to be disbanded and moved elsewhere – say, to Quebec.

Here’s how a dispersal draft would work best, in my humble but incandescent opinion:

All teams except Seattle would place two players into the dispersal draft pool. (Any combination of forwards, defensemen or goalies.) All players would have to be under contract for both the 2022 – 2023 and the 2023 – 2024 seasons and not have an operative NMC clause in their contract.

Arizona/Quebec would designate which players from its current 2022 – 2023 roster (including farm system) it wanted to keep, up to a maximum of 19. I’m gonna guess Chychrun, Crouse, Emberson, Gostisbehere, Guenther, Hayton, Hults, Jenik, Keller, Kolyachonok, Prosvetov, Schmaltz, Soderstrom, Timmins and Vejmelka would be retained, at the very least.

Along the lines used for the waiver wire or amateur prospect draft, teams in inverse order of finish would then select from the players remaining from the current Arizona roster or pass. If a team used such a selection, both of the players it had placed in the dispersal pool would be available for selection by Arizona. (This is to avoid a team like San Jose putting Burns and Karlsson in the dispersal pool and then selecting a minor-leaguer from Arizona, thus forcing the two old stiffs with the huge cap hits onto the new team.)

Arizona would then get to pick one player from each team remaining in the dispersal pool. I've made several selections based upon the guys I think some teams would consider the LAST guys that they'd want to keep.

All players not selected by Arizona/Quebec or other teams (i.e., all players remaining from the prior Coyotes roster or in the dispersal pool) would then become unrestricted free agents.

Some teams, like St. Louis or Winnipeg, could use this process (by adding a mid-level draft pick) to disembarrass themselves of no-longer-wanted players.

The farm system is shown on the Taxi Squad list.

Suggestions for the ONE player from your team that would be picked by this franchise gleefully entertained.
TAILLE DE LA FORMATIONPLAFOND SALARIALCAP HITEXCÉDENTS Info-bulleBONISESPACE SOUS LE PLAFOND SALARIAL
1882 500 000 $51 937 500 $0 $2 922 500 $30 562 500 $
Ailier gaucheCentreAilier droit
Logo de Coyotes de l'Arizona
7 150 000 $7 150 000 $
AG, AD
UFA - 7
5 850 000 $5 850 000 $
AD, C
UFA - 5
Logo de Ducks d'Anaheim
5 250 000 $5 250 000 $
AD, AG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
1 533 333 $1 533 333 $
AG, AD
UFA - 1
894 167 $894 167 $ (Bonis de performance2 150 000 $$2M)
C, AG
RFA - 1
925 000 $925 000 $
AD, AG
RFA - 4
Logo de Canucks de Vancouver
3 250 000 $3 250 000 $
AG
NTC
UFA - 3
795 000 $795 000 $ (Bonis de performance107 500 $$108K)
C
RFA - 2
Logo de Canadiens de Montréal
3 400 000 $3 400 000 $
AD, AG
UFA - 4
Défenseur gaucherDéfenseur droitierGardien de but
4 600 000 $4 600 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 4
Logo de Oilers d'Edmonton
3 250 000 $3 250 000 $
DD
UFA - 4
842 500 $842 500 $ (Bonis de performance82 500 $$82K)
G
UFA - 1
4 500 000 $4 500 000 $
DG/DD
UFA - 2
863 333 $863 333 $ (Bonis de performance500 000 $$500K)
DD
RFA - 3
809 167 $809 167 $ (Bonis de performance82 500 $$82K)
G
UFA - 1
Logo de Jets de Winnipeg
3 900 000 $3 900 000 $
DG
UFA - 3
850 000 $850 000 $
DD
RFA - 2
Logo de Blues de St-Louis
3 275 000 $3 275 000 $
DG
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Équipe de réserve
Logo de Blackhawks de Chicago
811 667 $811 667 $ (0 $$00 $$0) (Bonis de performance32 500 $$32K)
AG, C
RFA - 1
Logo de Golden Knights de Vegas
825 000 $825 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0)
C
RFA - 3
925 000 $925 000 $ (0 $$00 $$0) (Bonis de performance125 000 $$125K)
DG
UFA - 1
789 167 $789 167 $ (0 $$00 $$0) (Bonis de performance132 500 $$132K)
DG/DD
RFA - 3
853 333 $853 333 $ (0 $$00 $$0) (Bonis de performance82 500 $$82K)
DD
RFA - 2

Code d'intégration

• Pour afficher cette équipe sur un autre site Web ou blog, ajoutez ce iFrame à la page appropriée
  • Personnalisez les dimensions dans le code IFrame ci-dessous pour adapter votre site de manière appropriée. Minimum recommandé: 400px.

Texte intégré

Cliquer pour surligner
16 févr. 2022 à 17 h 10
Bandwagon fairweathe
Rejoint: juin 2018
Mentions "j'aime": 3,373
It’s all about Phoenix tv rating as a market, I believe it’s in the top ten, going from a top ten to greater than a 100 for a future tv deal, just isn’t going to happen. A lot rides on new Tempe arena deal, but 3 years at university is really a non factor in the general scheme of things.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 17 h 13
Démarrer sujet
Once a Kings Fan Too
Mentions "j'aime": 26,383
Quoting: Birtle34
It’s all about Phoenix tv rating as a market, I believe it’s in the top ten, going from a top ten to greater than a 100 for a future tv deal, just isn’t going to happen. A lot rides on new Tempe arena deal, but 3 years at university is really a non factor in the general scheme of things.

I hope that you're right. Desert fans deserve a viable franchise.
16 févr. 2022 à 17 h 16
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I hope that you're right. Desert fans deserve a viable franchise.

Might actually be a kind of Renaissance if they can get a university cult following, I wonder if they take some college hockey themes and add a band, or truly try to double down with a college campus population and hopefully bring it with them to new building.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 17 h 19
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,696

Phoenix may be a big market, but how many of those TV's are tuning into Coyote's games on a regular basis? They still have one of the lowest TV market ratings amongst NHL teams - https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2021/05/27/Media/NHL-RSNs.aspx

Quebec would be a fine NHL market, but the NHL (namely its owners) have already made clear they don't want to re-align conferences. CBJ and DET in particular don't want to have to go back to a western conference schedule.

Occam's Razor. Tilman Fertita has already made clear he would love to have an NHL team in Houston to share the Toyota Center with. Hell, if the Coyotes move there and share space with the Rockets, I wouldn't be surprised if ownership/ NHL would use it as leverage for a new arena, if they want one. Houston is one of the largest cities in the country, even larger than Phoenix. At worst, the team would have a greater chance of succeeding there than in AZ.

Idk what kind of voodoo AZ is pulling to convince everyone that they can get a new arena, and that it would be a sound investment to build one for them. In the past year, they've been kicked out of their building, nearly been sued for failing to pay taxes, and have been reported to be a toxic place to work.

It's behind a paywall, but The Athletic wrote a great story summarizing the entire debacle - https://theathletic.com/3096608/2022/02/01/a-nightmare-all-around-nhl-team-executives-frustrated-over-arizona-coyotes-plan-to-play-at-university-arena/
OldNYIfan et Birtle34 a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 17 h 26
Rejoint: mai 2016
Mentions "j'aime": 6,303
I think they'll be fine once they build to a building that's not a 1 hour drive away from where all the affluent residents live (Scottsdale). Right now, there's no one that just says "Hey let's go to a Coyotes' game tonight" because of the significant trek to Glendale. If they build a new building in Tempe, they'll get a lot more casual fans to show up to games.

The Chargers played at StubHub Center in Carson for a few seasons before the new stadium was completed. The capacity for that building was around 27k, while the next smallest venue in the NFL was Soldier Field which seats 61.5k for football. As long as it's only temporary and there's an end in sight, it's not the end of the world. Revenue sharing will ensure that they won't go under, although I suspect some of the league's more wealthy owners might grumble about it a bit.
OldNYIfan et Birtle34 a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 17 h 30
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: dopplsan
Phoenix may be a big market, but how many of those TV's are tuning into Coyote's games on a regular basis? They still have one of the lowest TV market ratings amongst NHL teams - https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2021/05/27/Media/NHL-RSNs.aspx

Quebec would be a fine NHL market, but the NHL (namely its owners) have already made clear they don't want to re-align conferences. CBJ and DET in particular don't want to have to go back to a western conference schedule.

Occam's Razor. Tilman Fertita has already made clear he would love to have an NHL team in Houston to share the Toyota Center with. Hell, if the Coyotes move there and share space with the Rockets, I wouldn't be surprised if ownership/ NHL would use it as leverage for a new arena, if they want one. Houston is one of the largest cities in the country, even larger than Phoenix. At worst, the team would have a greater chance of succeeding there than in AZ.

Idk what kind of voodoo AZ is pulling to convince everyone that they can get a new arena, and that it would be a sound investment to build one for them. In the past year, they've been kicked out of their building, nearly been sued for failing to pay taxes, and have been reported to be a toxic place to work.

It's behind a paywall, but The Athletic wrote a great story summarizing the entire debacle - https://theathletic.com/3096608/2022/02/01/a-nightmare-all-around-nhl-team-executives-frustrated-over-arizona-coyotes-plan-to-play-at-university-arena/

I’m just a Canadian snowbird, loving the cheap tickets and pregame in the heat at noon for a 7 pm game. Would love a strong viable franchise there, Vegas and Phoenix have cheap flights from northern states and possibly even make it cheaper to catch games there over some of the Canadian franchises.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 17 h 44
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,283
A rare miss from you, my friend, in my humble opinion. But I'm extremely biased about the situation and I fully admit that colors my thoughts on the matter.
16 févr. 2022 à 17 h 44
Lets Get Kraken
Rejoint: avr. 2021
Mentions "j'aime": 3,565
As much as people want the Nordiques to come back, it will never happen. Especially as long as Bettman is commission, he will shoot down anything that 1) would play in Canada, 2) would make him lose one of his beloved sunbelt teams, or 3) make divisions be forced to realign. Bettman has already made it perfectly clear he doesn’t want any more Canadian teams, especially in Quebec for whatever reason, and since he loves his sunbelt teams so much, he will do everything in his power to keep his sunbelt teams afloat. He has also made it clear that he wants Arizona as a franchise to succeed, so the likelihood of them being relocated is very low. I wouldn’t mind having them play in Houston until their arena in Tempe is finished, but the likelihood of Arizona either relocating or dispersing is highly unlikely. The same things were said about when the Whalers moved to Carolina, and how they should move even AFTER they won the Stanley Cup in 2006. The ramblings about the Canes needing to be relocated still go on to this day. If you listen to Bettman’s speech when he awarded the Cup in 2006, it is very clear by how he started his speech that he wanted his sunbelt teams to succeed.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 18 h 2
Démarrer sujet
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: PuckLuck_77
A rare miss from you, my friend, in my humble opinion. But I'm extremely biased about the situation and I fully admit that colors my thoughts on the matter.

Miss? I was HSFWB -- having some fun while bored. Not funny?
16 févr. 2022 à 18 h 8
Rejoint: mars 2019
Mentions "j'aime": 2,283
Miss? I was HSFWB -- having some fun while bored. Not funny?

I just am very opposed to Arizona moving.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 18 h 37
Nah.
Rejoint: sept. 2020
Mentions "j'aime": 4,696
I’m just a Canadian snowbird, loving the cheap tickets and pregame in the heat at noon for a 7 pm game. Would love a strong viable franchise there, Vegas and Phoenix have cheap flights from northern states and possibly even make it cheaper to catch games there over some of the Canadian franchises.

Of course, man. Sorry if I came off as harsh. I got nothing but sympathy for fans of the team.

AZ/PHX has been done dirty for a long time now, by bad ownership, mishandling from the NHL, a market that has struggled to come along, and a team that just hasn’t been able to win consistently enough to get people following.

PHX is a big enough market and already has an established pro sports presence, that the NHL should have been able to catch on.

Then again, I would’ve said the same thing about Atlanta.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 18 h 43
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: dopplsan
Of course, man. Sorry if I came off as harsh. I got nothing but sympathy for fans of the team.

AZ/PHX has been done dirty for a long time now, by bad ownership, mishandling from the NHL, a market that has struggled to come along, and a team that just hasn’t been able to win consistently enough to get people following.

PHX is a big enough market and already has an established pro sports presence, that the NHL should have been able to catch on.

Then again, I would’ve said the same thing about Atlanta.

All good, I just love the discussion, there are my team since 89, and left me in 96, and kind of went free agent fan til I could afford travel to reunite, then my new team came to town. So kind of treat them like my out of town girlfriend, and flirt a little more when my wife is pissing me off lol. Life of a jets fan since 9 years old. Turning 42 this year. Allowed two teams now in the same division kind of interesting.
OldNYIfan et dopplsan a aimé ceci.
16 févr. 2022 à 18 h 45
Démarrer sujet
Once a Kings Fan Too
All good, I just love the discussion, there are my team since 89, and left me in 96, and kind of went free agent fan til I could afford travel to reunite, then my new team came to town. So kind of treat them like my out of town girlfriend, and flirt a little more when my wife is pissing me off lol. Life of a jets fan since 9 years old. Turning 42 this year. Allowed two teams now in the same division kind of interesting.

Can't possibly be as weird as being a fan of both the Los Angeles Kings AND the Anaheim once-mighty Ducks.
16 févr. 2022 à 18 h 50
Bandwagon fairweathe
Can't possibly be as weird as being a fan of both the Los Angeles Kings AND the Anaheim once-mighty Ducks.

Gets a little weird when they are both in central now and both look like they are missing playoffs. Not sure how I would react in a two team city, got to be tough to hold a line, especially when moves or signatures, and directions possibly piss you off.
OldNYIfan a aimé ceci.

Répondre
To create a post please Login or S'inscrire
Question:
Options:
Ajouter une option
Soumettre le sondage